Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 5 of 25 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by nastynice View Post
    Pretty much this.

The bar is much higher for durant because of his situation. Really, its not about kd or steph, the bar is just very high for the warriors, just like in miami how 4 finals and 2 chips is kinda a disappointment (whereas any other franchise would be beyond satisfied with that), warriors have done the same to themselves. However, if they DO indeed rack these chips, like I been saying, at a certain point you just cannot deny greatness
    I think their expectations should be set even higher than Miami's. Like much higher. If in three years, Durant leaves and the best that team could do was four Finals appearances and two rings, I think that would be considered a pretty massive failure.

Quote Originally Posted by numba1CHANGsta View Post
    Just trust me, Hou wont make it all the way to the WCF 😉
    Quote Originally Posted by tredigs View Post
    Houston may make the WCF again, but barring injuries they are no longer a serious threat this year imo.

Quote Originally Posted by valade16 View Post
    When you look at the guys considered Top 10 ever (MJ, Bron, Wilt, Russell, Magic, Bird, Duncan, Shaq, Hakeem, Kobe, and Kareem) all of them won a ring as the undisputed best player on their team.

The only two cases where guys were on the same team winning (Kobe/Shaq and Magic/Kareem), all the players proved they could win a ring without the other. Kobe and Shaq both won rings without the other and Magic and Kareem did too.

He could do anything, but history is against him at this point. Especially if he doesn't even win as many rings as Kobe. If he only wins 4 rings, he has almost no shot.
    I agree with the overall sentiment here, but I think you're wrong about Magic. Kareem won all five of the same rings in LA that Magic won. Granted, Kareem in 88 was not the same Kareem, but the dude was still playing 30 minutes of damn good basketball a game at age 40.

Houston may make the WCF again, but barring injuries they are no longer a serious threat this year imo.

As far as riding coattails, they're basically the same
    OK, fine. But then you need to at least acknowledge that the coattails Durant joined are unquestionably fancier than the ones CP3 is riding on. Paul is holding on to the coattails of a solid, well-made coat from Men's Wearhouse. Durant is riding the coattails of some insanely expensive, custom-made coat hand-crafted with the finest fabric in the world for some Middle-Eastern prince whose parents own like half the oil on the globe.

Quote Originally Posted by mngopher35 View Post
    Lol the Warriors without Durant were likely headed for that kind of run (this was responding to mbt talking about 2 rings 4 years). I would say if the Warriors don't win a title with this core in any season it's a pretty big failure, the gap is huge.

Edit: like I think rings here are a given, he needs to find a way to separate himself more given any top star could win in his situation (even his team without him lol). It takes him proving he has actually gotten better as a player individually which will be tough without injury/change of scenery.
    Rings are never a given and championship-fatigue for teams that are making super deep runs every year are a real thing. Every team is trying to put it on them every night, and eventually that fatigue will probably set in for them. With as many stacked + well coached teams there are in the Western Conference, I could envision an upset in the next 2 years for sure (depending on how they all look going into the playoffs this year). So long as KD continues to show his worth as an All Time talent playing in his prime, he's going to be fine and rise on that list gradually/accordingly.

Do people have Curry and Durant with a lot of separation in their rankings right now? If one jumps up that high does the other? Curry was arguably projecting higher than Durant before he joined on.

Quote Originally Posted by mngopher35 View Post
    Do people have Curry and Durant with a lot of separation in their rankings right now? If one jumps up that high does the other? Curry was arguably projecting higher than Durant before he joined on.
    I have them both in the low 20's and rising so long as they're both playing at prime levels/top-5 in the NBA. This particular season Curry could move up a little higher if he continues his current pace.

Rings are never a given and championship-fatigue for teams that are making super deep runs every year are a real thing. Every team is trying to put it on them every night, and eventually that fatigue will probably set in for them. With as many stacked + well coached teams there are in the Western Conference, I could envision an upset in the next 2 years for sure (depending on how they all look going into the playoffs this year). So long as KD continues to show his worth as an All Time talent playing in his prime, he's going to be fine and rise on that list gradually/accordingly.
    Sure an upset could happen and fatigue or injuries may play into the results etc. In the end though they are far and away the favorites that should easily be expected to win. We can hype up these other teams but you can take Durant off the Warriors and they are likely favorite still (any other team with 3 top 20 guys including a mvp level and dpoy type?).

I am just saying not winning would be the surprise here for them as the gap is so big still despite some other teams getting better.

I agree they will gradually move up but top 10 range is tough to get into. I actually think Curry had a decent chance with how the Warriors looked without KD. I truly thought they were already headed towards the next dynasty with their talent/fit/system and he would get a ton of credit for that with the awards likely to come. Now I just think they kind of water each other down in a sense and we never really get to see them challenged on that top level of overcoming major adversity etc. because the gap is just so big compared to other teams. Tough for them to prove they can overcome obstacles and carry a team to extreme levels given situation. It's great they can win together with this cast but that doesn't really do anything to separate them individually from other greats who just never were in a situation to this extreme.

Quote Originally Posted by mightybosstone View Post
    I agree with the overall sentiment here, but I think you're wrong about Magic. Kareem won all five of the same rings in LA that Magic won. Granted, Kareem in 88 was not the same Kareem, but the dude was still playing 30 minutes of damn good basketball a game at age 40.
    You're right, I was wrong about Magic.

Any year the Warriors don't win the title with this core is a major disappointment for them.

I have them both in the low 20's and rising so long as they're both playing at prime levels/top-5 in the NBA. This particular season Curry could move up a little higher if he continues his current pace.
    Ya I think I am probably around there too, maybe high 25-30 range but would have to think about it some and they keep slowly moving up.

Just curious if people see Durant/Curry as kinda linked together on the list now or what? So if someone says Durant has a solid shot at top 10 over Kobe the same holds for Curry too knocking guys out in that range?

career achievement wise he would need a couple of rings, some scoring titles, maybe another mvp. mentality wise he will never be on kobe's level

OK, but there really shouldn't be a letdown with a team this talented barring another contender emerging with a similar level of talent. This isn't the Showtime Lakers, which had to contend with a damn nearly as talented Celtics squad in the 80s. This is the equivalent of Russell's Celtics and Jordan's Bulls in the 60s and 90s, respectively. Those teams had no peer at their peak, and neither do these Warriors.

A team this talented has literally no excuse to not win the title every year barring a major injury or another equally-talented contender emerging. And until that contender emerges or the Warriors have a substantial shake up, that team had better win the championship every season. If they don't, that's a monumental failure.

Quote Originally Posted by mightybosstone View Post
    OK, but there really shouldn't be a letdown with a team this talented barring another contender emerging with a similar level of talent. This isn't the Showtime Lakers, which had to contend with a damn nearly as talented Celtics squad in the 80s. This is the equivalent of Russell's Celtics and Jordan's Bulls in the 60s and 90s, respectively. Those teams had no peer at their peak, and neither do these Warriors.

A team this talented has literally no excuse to not win the title every year barring a major injury or another equally-talented contender emerging. And until that contender emerges or the Warriors have a substantial shake up, that team had better win the championship every season. If they don't, that's a monumental failure.
    They've been competing against a player some will call the GOAT when he retires with an extremely talented All Star point guard and another All Star power forward. That team would have wiped the floor with quite a few former championship winners. This year, I don't see it from them, but on the flip side you have an extremely talented and star studded Western Conference forming. With deep playoff runs year after year, nothing is guaranteed. NOBODY thought the Heatles would win just 2 titles when they were first formed. But here we are, and the Warriors have a much tougher road to each Finals then they did.
    Last edited by tredigs; 11-03-2017 at 07:14 PM.

Stop posting on fake twitter accounts would be a good start.

Pretty much this.

The bar is much higher for durant because of his situation. Really, its not about kd or steph, the bar is just very high for the warriors, just like in miami how 4 finals and 2 chips is kinda a disappointment (whereas any other franchise would be beyond satisfied with that), warriors have done the same to themselves. However, if they DO indeed rack these chips, like I been saying, at a certain point you just cannot deny greatness
    Well KD did try to take a massive shortcut. Only makes sense to expect more from him now to even the odds.

Page 5 of 25 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast