Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 4 of 45 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Ace23 View Post
    This one was right on the line of "dirty" and illegal -- but if the NHL is serious about reducing the role of enforcers and seeing a more skilled game, then plays like this need to be met with harsh punishment. Because if the league isn't going to police the game and protect the players, the players are going to do it.

Let me ask you this: if Radko Gudas had delivered that exact same hit to Tarasenko, is there a doubt in your mind that Gudas gets a major penalty and likely a suspension?
    No doubt in my mind. A testament to the hypocrisy and stupidity of the NHL.

I think a players history should matter.

That's typically a great indication of whether there was intent there.

Gudas isn't the only guy who gets a 5 there.

Ghost will be a game time decision. Wore a tinted visor at morning skate. Patrick had a short practice in a non contact jersey so he wont play. Gudas not at practice.

If Ghost plays he will be with Manning. Provorov with Hagg. Sanheim with Alt.

Quote Originally Posted by phillyeaglesman View Post
    Ghost will be a game time decision. Wore a tinted visor at morning skate. Patrick had a short practice in a non contact jersey so he wont play. Gudas not at practice.

If Ghost plays he will be with Manning. Provorov with Hagg. Sanheim with Alt.
    I hope we just sit both of them until they are fully ready. Patrick needs to come back and start feeling his oats. We need a forward spark ... couturierís line is carrying the team.

Myers canít seem to stay healthy. I know he isnít ready for a call up despite his good numbers ... Iím worried that he will never be healthy enough to realize the full potential he has

Wonder if hockey would ever consider a penalty for hitting a defenseless player. I know it'd be a lot tougher thing to do in hockey when people have their head down. But in sports today they really need to try whatever is necessary to cut down on concussions.

Since we don't play til Thursday I wouldn't even consider playing anyone that was out tonight. And where they won last game I wouldn't be surprised if Hakstol goes with the same lineup. Hope they get healthy soon. This team can't afford injuries.

Ghost is in, paired with Manning.

this guy is such an idiot, when is he going to learn to keep his stick down. Thats like his 5th one this year

simmonds had manning trailing for split sec, would have been a great chance

Quote Originally Posted by txravis12 View Post
    I think a players history should matter.

That's typically a great indication of whether there was intent there.

Gudas isn't the only guy who gets a 5 there.
    Schenn has at least two previous suspensions for dirty hits.

So, how come Schenn's history doesn't matter?

He's not a Flyer anymore......

So, it's a small sample, but given how horrific it's been, I think I've seen enough to say that the Provorov/Hagg pair is not something I want to continue. They are getting absolutely throttled as a pair.

Together (78:13):
    - CF%: 38.69%
    - SCF%: 38.98%
    - HDCF%: 50%

That is absolutely abysmal. Here's the thing, though, and where some concern - not panic, but concern, is creeping in for me with respect to Hagg. Him with Ghost....not exactly great either.

Together (118:52):

CF%: 46.38%
    SCF%: 45.26%
    HDCF%: 33.33%

These are Hagg's most common partners to this point. He hasn't played with anyone else longer than 10 minutes, so I can't draw any conclusions at all from that information. These are still very small samples but they are at least somewhat significant, for lack of a better term.

The thing about the Provorov/Hagg pair, is they just get stuck defending a lot. They don't give up a ton of chances or high danger chances, but they're stuck defending. Whereas when he's with Ghost, they bleed chances. They give up a ton of chances and high danger chances, even though they are defending as much, because Ghost is such a strong play driver.

Ultimately what I'm getting at, is while I think they can get away with a Ghost/Hagg pair for this year, that's not something I think would be beneficial for them long term. Further, if Sanheim continues to grow as he has, I'd use him in the top 4 over Hagg as soon as this season.

I think Hakstol views Hagg in the same way he views guys like AMac and Schultz. They are steady defensemen who do well in their own zone and are therefore considered "safe". The problem is they spend quite a bit of time defending and not pushing play the other way. Whereas someone like Sanheim is driving play rather consistently now and starting to produce on top of it (2 assists tonight), but he's not playing as much, because he's seen as a "risky" player due to his mistakes being more glaring.

So while Hagg is seen as the safer player, in reality Sanheim is the safer player, because he's providing more offense and not defending nearly as much as Hagg.

My point: I think ultimately as the team starts getting healthier, they need to move Hagg down to the 3rd pair and move Sanheim into the top 4. I think Hagg is in over his head a bit in a top 4 role, especially in a top pair role. He's playing big minutes against tough competition and he's getting exposed. Give him easier minutes and I think he'll be fine, but right now I think he's struggling due to having to play in a prominent role.

I think Sanheim can eventually be the guy to pair with Provorov, as soon as the 2nd half of this season. He's got potential to be better in his own zone due to his size and reach. But more importantly, he'll push play up the ice and create much more offensively. Using him and Provorov together will allow them to play more free rather than feel restricted to one side of the ice as well. One thing that was fun to watch with Provorov and Ghost as a pair was how free they were playing as a pair. They'd switch sides often, played as rovers in the offensive zone; it was truly like having a 5 man unit out there and that makes them very hard to defend. Risky, sure, but they both have the skating ability to make up for it if they get caught, and they're both so good at what they do that getting caught is a rare occasion. I think Sanheim can ultimately be that guy with Provorov.

Until AMac returns (because we all know he'll go right back with Provorov when he does) I'd pick Ghost or Gudas as his partner. Pick one. Not Hagg. Not Manning. I'd be ok with Sanheim, but it may be too early for him to take on that responsibility. Ghost or Gudas. Pick one.

Provorov-Ghost
    Sanheim-Gudas
    Manning-Hagg

or

Provorov-Gudas
    Ghost-Hagg
    Sanheim-Manning

I like the first grouping better, because Sanheim and Gudas have been very good together, and Provorov and Ghost have been very good together. And believe it or not, in limited time, Hagg and Manning have broken even in terms of driving play and are in the positive in terms of creating chances and high danger chances. So yeah, I'd go with that until AMac returns. With those pairs you at least have an idea that you have a very strong top 4 and a serviceable 3rd pair.

Quote Originally Posted by Ace23 View Post
    Schenn has at least two previous suspensions for dirty hits.

So, how come Schenn's history doesn't matter?
    It does. But on this specific hit nothing about the hit itself was rule breaking.

It was to a legal location on the body, elbow tucked, wasn't skating, no launch, didn't extend the arms. Literally a textbook legal hit.

Outside for the fact the puck was gone a moment earlier.

Two minutes for interference is an accurate call IMO.

Still wish someone would have responded. But nobody did, and they went on to win.

Quote Originally Posted by txravis12 View Post
    It does. But on this specific hit nothing about the hit itself was rule breaking.

It was to a legal location on the body, elbow tucked, wasn't skating, no launch, didn't extend the arms. Literally a textbook legal hit.

Outside for the fact the puck was gone a moment earlier.

Two minutes for interference is an accurate call IMO.

Still wish someone would have responded. But nobody did, and they went on to win.
    "Nothing about the hit itself was rule breaking."

"Outside for the fact that the puck was gone."

Literally the definition of a late hit.

I know this is off topic, but did Colorado honestly get that much for Duchene???

Quote Originally Posted by Maccanman View Post
    I know this is off topic, but did Colorado honestly get that much for Duchene???
    crazy.. a 1st, 2nd, 3rd, another first round in bowers from 2017, girard, and kamanev, plus a salary dump in hammond. Ottowa has some nice prospects in chabot, white, brown, chaplik, and some other guys so maybe they feel they are fine with players coming soon. They need to utilize karlsson's prime years but we will see if duchene will be that much better than turris. I like the trade for all teams. Preds got better. They dont really need girard and turris provides a need more so than kamanev. Avs added a lot of pieces.

Page 4 of 45 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast