Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 11 of 45 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by steagles View Post
    according to hockey-ref, the flyers have a 45% chance of making the playoffs and are projected to finish the season with 91 points.

i'd take the under on both.
    If you wanna quote my last post on it, youíre more than welcome to.

Weíll see.

this is the way that i look at it regarding playoffs:
    the top 3 teams in the divison will be these, not in any particular order:

metro:

1. penguins
    2. cbj
    3. caps (could insert philly, isles, canes, rangers)

atlantic:

1. tampa bay
    2. ottowa
    3. toronto

Wildcard will be between boston, rangers, devils, islanders, canes, and philly. I doubt montreal, wings, florida, or buff gets near the wc teams. You can even make a case and say that any one of the teams in the metro (isles, flyers, rangers, canes) can take the spot from the caps. So 2 spots for boston, rangers, isles, canes, and philly will be a tough. I think the biggest threats will be rangers and boston. I think we can make it but guys like patrick, tk, weal, and hopefully lindblom have to produce for us and the top line has to keep doing what its doing. thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by phillyeaglesman View Post
    So I have 2 lineup ideas moving forward to try to better put players in position to succeed. It doesn't have to happen immediately, but ultimately I think it could be beneficial. If they want to keep Giroux at LW:

Konecny-1Couturier-Voracek

Giroux-Patrick-Simmonds

Weal-Filppula-Raffl

Leier-Laughton-Read (Weise)

Provorov-Ghost

Sanheim-Gudas

Manning(AMac)-Hagg

Reunites the 11-14-93 line that had success last year. It gives Patrick 2 strong wingers to play with so he isn't dragging around an anchor. It gives Filppula 2 play drivers so that line can actually get out of the DZ. And the 4th line is still very solid.

If they're ok with moving Giroux back to center:

Filppula-1Couturier-Voracek

Weal-Giroux-Simmonds

Raffl-Patrick-Konecny

Leier-Laughton-Read(Weise)

Provorov-Ghost

Sanheim-Gudas

Manning(AMac)-Hagg

Long post, I know. Thoughts? Which do you like? Do you have another preference?
    I'd prefer to go with something a bit more outside the box to create a little more spark:

Giroux-Patrick-Jake
    Weal-Coots-Konecny
    Raffl-Filp-Simm
    Leier-Laught-Read

With the current #1 line all guys are playing confident right now but the chemistry of a #1 line revolves more around G&Jake staying together IMO. Patrick is a #2 pick. You don't follow the conventional wisdom of starting a guy out on the 3rd line with marginal scoring talent, put him with guys who score and get him more confidence and be able to take advantage of his skill sets. Weal and Konecny are water bugs that can move fast and create. I think that plays better to Coots being able to get down low and continue to do the role he's currently doing. He needs speed and creativity on his wing to compliment his game to be most effective offensively.

I think a minor promotion for Raff may help spark a little of his game and gives Filp two guys who can work the walls and keep the puck in the zone and gives something better than we're getting from the 3rd group.

Like the 4th as it was....but at some point we need to try a shift to help the top 9 and Read is probably the best compliment to the other two over Weiss and Lehtera.

So if I"m gonna inject a little intrigue and try to make a spark I make those changes. If we're gonna hold the line a few more games to evaluate a little more then I just put the Weal-Patrick-Simmer line back together and leave everyone else where they were.

Quote Originally Posted by Hatch View Post
    I'd prefer to go with something a bit more outside the box to create a little more spark:

Giroux-Patrick-Jake
    Weal-Coots-Konecny
    Raffl-Filp-Simm
    Leier-Laught-Read

With the current #1 line all guys are playing confident right now but the chemistry of a #1 line revolves more around G&Jake staying together IMO. Patrick is a #2 pick. You don't follow the conventional wisdom of starting a guy out on the 3rd line with marginal scoring talent, put him with guys who score and get him more confidence and be able to take advantage of his skill sets. Weal and Konecny are water bugs that can move fast and create. I think that plays better to Coots being able to get down low and continue to do the role he's currently doing. He needs speed and creativity on his wing to compliment his game to be most effective offensively.

I think a minor promotion for Raff may help spark a little of his game and gives Filp two guys who can work the walls and keep the puck in the zone and gives something better than we're getting from the 3rd group.

Like the 4th as it was....but at some point we need to try a shift to help the top 9 and Read is probably the best compliment to the other two over Weiss and Lehtera.

So if I"m gonna inject a little intrigue and try to make a spark I make those changes. If we're gonna hold the line a few more games to evaluate a little more then I just put the Weal-Patrick-Simmer line back together and leave everyone else where they were.

A couple things:

1) I don't see guys like Giroux, Weal, Simmonds, Konecny or Raffl as marginal talent for compliments to Patrick. Moreover, if he's given 3C deployment, he's going up against inferior talent, making things easier for him out there, which is the whole point. Balance, balance, balance. Optimize, optimize, optimize. Don't make things harder on players when you don't have to. I think Patrick can eventually rise to that level, but not right now, maybe not this year. I'm not going to put him in a position where he's expected to produce as a 1C when the Flyers have other options that are more capable at this point.

2) You're operating under the assumption that G and Jake are what makes the first line go; I disagree. I think 1Couturier is the driving force behind that line. Why? Because G and Jake hasn't worked as a line since Berube was coach. They've tried several wingers with those two players and haven't found a match. 1Couturier absolutely benefits from playing with high level talent, not arguing that. But I think 1Couturier and Voracek is a better duo than Giroux and Voracek and have been for 2-3 years now. Patrick can eventually get to that #1 center role, but at this stage in his career I don't believe he's ready for that.

3) Theoretically, Weal and Konecny makes sense together on a line. Quick, offensively creative. The major problem with having them with 1Couturier is that 1Couturier is your shutdown center. And while he generally spends most of his time in the OZ, he still needs wingers he can depend on in the DZ should they end up there. I don't like the idea of having Weal and Konecny out there against the top line of the opponent for most of if not all of the game. You don't really want 1Couturier playing with 2 wingers he can't really trust in the DZ when he's always facing the toughest competition of the opponent. Again, optimization. It's not optimal to make your shutdown center work harder than necessary.

It's really not that complicated. Couturier and Voracek you can't break up at this point. You just can't.

Filppula - Couturier - Voracek
    Raffl - Giroux - Konecny
    Weal - Patrick - Simmonds
    Leier - Laughton - Read

- Yes Filppula doesn't belong up there on the top line, but Couturier+Voracek are good enough that they can drag him around and not be a liability. For what they need him for on that line he is passable. Would be nice to plug Lindblom there, but I digress.

- Giroux+Konecny together just makes too much sense. Talk about creativity in the offensive zone. Raffl kinda rounds that trio out and kind of does for them what he's done for Laughton+Leier.

- You put back together a line that had a ton of success early in the season. How many 3rd lines in the NHL are matching up with that?

- No reason to separate Leier+Laughton. Read serves as the watered down version of Raffl on that line.

Quote Originally Posted by CasperX22 View Post
    It's really not that complicated. Couturier and Voracek you can't break up at this point. You just can't.

Raffl - Giroux - Konecny
    Leier - Laughton - Read

- Yes Filppula doesn't belong up there on the top line, but Couturier+Voracek are good enough that they can drag him around and not be a liability. For what they need him for on that line he is passable. Would be nice to plug Lindblom there, but I digress.

- Giroux+Konecny together just makes too much sense. Talk about creativity in the offensive zone. Raffl kinda rounds that trio out and kind of does for them what he's done for Laughton+Leier.

- You put back together a line that had a ton of success early in the season. How many 3rd lines in the NHL are matching up with that?

- No reason to separate Leier+Laughton. Read serves as the watered down version of Raffl on that line.

Pretty much a replica of a post I made on the previous page, so I agree

Patrick is indeed playing tonight, confirmed by Hakstol. Lines were not run in practice so no word on any juggling or who Patrick will have on his wings.

Elliott in net.

Quote Originally Posted by CasperX22 View Post

Raffl - Giroux - Konecny
    Leier - Laughton - Read

such an idela place for lindblom anywhere on the top 2 lines.

Is Patrick playing tonight?

Quote Originally Posted by castan_b View Post
    Is Patrick playing tonight?
    2 posts up, castan

Yes, Patrick is playing.

Quote Originally Posted by phillyeaglesman View Post
    Pretty much a replica of a post I made on the previous page, so I agree

Patrick is indeed playing tonight, confirmed by Hakstol. Lines were not run in practice so no word on any juggling or who Patrick will have on his wings.

Elliott in net.
    Nice

Quote Originally Posted by 3iverson3 View Post
    such an idela place for lindblom anywhere on the top 2 lines.
    I am completely opposed to breaking up the top line & the Honeybees at the moment.

Get Patrick back. See what happens.

But why in the world are we going to screw with the ONE THING that is actually working? I want Couturier to finally emerge as a dominant 1C. That takes time -- so before we regress back to the "Couturier as defensive center" garbage, let's stop it.

You know the SECOND Couturier is apart from Giroux & Voracek, Hakstol will revert (as he always does) to using him as a defensive stopper. That's not helpful. So no.

Quote Originally Posted by Ace23 View Post
    I am completely opposed to breaking up the top line & the Honeybees at the moment.

But why in the world are we going to screw with the ONE THING that is actually working? I want Couturier to finally emerge as a dominant 1C. That takes time -- so before we regress back to the "Couturier as defensive center" garbage, let's stop it.

You know the SECOND Couturier is apart from Giroux & Voracek, Hakstol will revert (as he always does) to using him as a defensive stopper. That's not helpful. So no.
    Should have said "lindblom is ideal anywhere in the lineup for the top 9". He really makes the middle six look so much nicer and if we are going to split the top line and have Couts-G-Patrick be our centers anywhere during the season, it makes sense to bring him up and have every center have a decent lw on their line (tk, lindblom, weal, or filpulla)

Quote Originally Posted by steagles View Post
    if you want, you can just quote my post next time. it'll be easier for you.

filppula's been a solid 3rd line center for us. i think it's okay to keep a guy like that around, especially since i don't see any better options in house.

i've been done with neuvirth for a while. he's playing well right now, but as far as i'm concerned, that just means we'll be trading him while his value is high. lyon and stolarz have enough AHL experience that i'm comfortable with them, even if something happens to elliot.
    id rather give that to rubstov or vorobyev if they are ready.

looks like lehtera is out.

maybe lineup goes like this:

g-couts-voracek
    weal-patrick-simmonds
    weise-filp-tk

Quote Originally Posted by Ace23 View Post

1Couturier is still the defensive stopper, that role isnít changing.

You ďscrewĒ with the one thing that is actually working, because at the moment, nothing else is. Is it worth it to have 1 good line when you have 3 others that canít/donít score?

Iím fine with just inserting Patrick back in the lineup and seeing if that can get the other 9 forwards on the team to start scoring. But if they continue to struggle to score outside of the top line, lines need juggling and that includes the top line.

Canít be a one line team and expect to be any good.

Page 11 of 45 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast