Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

View Poll Results: Do we have a problem with police brutality / violence in the US of A?

Voters
22. You may not vote on this poll
  • Absolutely. It's a problem

15 68.18%
  • No. Police are doing their job the best they can

7 31.82%
Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Question Do we have a police brutality/violence problem in the US of A?

Yes or no?

Legitimate question and poll.

Do you feel we have a problem with police brutality and violence in this country, or do you feel it's more propaganda, media fueled drama, coupled with ignorant citizens who cling to their anecdotal evidence?

I feel like this question cant be answered with a simple yes or no.

I think 99% of cops are trying to do the job they best they can, and i'm very sympathetic to just how difficult that has to be in today's environment.

But its undeniable that there are a few bad eggs out there, who have crossed the line for whatever reason. Whether there is malicious intent, or an officer just made a poor decision in the heat of the moment, those officers are a problem and we need to do a better job thru procedure reform to protect not only our citizens, but the police as well.

1% might be the national average but in certain precincts the average might be 10% or worse.

Quote Originally Posted by jojo30 View Post

I think 99% of cops are trying to do the job they best they can, and i'm very sympathetic to just how difficult that has to be in today's environment.

But its undeniable that there are a few bad eggs out there, who have crossed the line for whatever reason. Whether there is malicious intent, or an officer just made a poor decision in the heat of the moment, those officers are a problem and we need to do a better job thru procedure reform to protect not only our citizens, but the police as well.
    This.

I don't see why you think this can't be a yes or no question.

If you think the majority of police are "trying to do the best job they can" and succeeding at it, then you would say/vote no.

A few bad eggs means there isn't a "problem", there are a few bad eggs everywhere.

A few bad eggs spoil the bunch.

I say yes but you already knew I would.

In Brooklyn, cops have gotten a lot better since DiBlasio became Mayor, so there's that. It's improved where I live but that doesn't mean there aren't a lot of racist and abusive dicks being in charge of people's safety/freedom.

what would be considered a "problem"?
    are there too many incidents where police unnecessarily use excessive force? yes

what really is "excessive" force, and is that ever acceptable? when a suspect/criminal is fighting against the police then in that type of incident the police should be allowed to use enough extra force to get the suspect/criminal subdued ASAP. that doesn't mean they can beat the suspect/criminal like Rodney King, but the police have to be able to use more force than the other person. in that type of situation anyone that wants equal force/similar force is an idiot.

the anti-Trump movement seems to be getting dumber

agreed, and to build on this, the code amongst cops, that you SHALL NOT RAT ON ANOTHER COP, needs to ****ing die.

If you want the ultimate, you've got to be willing to pay the ultimate price. It's not tragic to die doing what you love.

Quote Originally Posted by Zmaster52 View Post
    A few bad eggs spoil the bunch.

I say yes but you already knew I would.

In Brooklyn, cops have gotten a lot better since DiBlasio became Mayor, so there's that. It's improved where I live but that doesn't mean there aren't a lot of racist and abusive dicks being in charge of people's safety/freedom.
    you bring up a good point on accident, in that we could have a million counties that have cleaned up their force, and set a code of conduct and ethics that sets the responsibility meter to an acceptable level, and if one county in a state has a police brutality that goes public, it sets back any perceived improvements.

So it is indeed not a yes/no answer. is 99% of the police force handling everything correctly and acceptable percentage? If not, what is?

If you want the ultimate, you've got to be willing to pay the ultimate price. It's not tragic to die doing what you love.

Quote Originally Posted by lol, please View Post
    Yes or no?

Legitimate question and poll.

Do you feel we have a problem with police brutality and violence in this country, or do you feel it's more propaganda, media fueled drama, coupled with ignorant citizens who cling to their anecdotal evidence?
    Hahaha what a way to phrase the question.

Hot Dogs or Hamburgers?

"Do you prefer delicious hamburgers or hot dogs made primarily of pigs' buttholes and saw dust?"

I don't see why you think this can't be a yes or no question.

If you think the majority of police are "trying to do the best job they can" and succeeding at it, then you would say/vote no.

A few bad eggs means there isn't a "problem", there are a few bad eggs everywhere.
    If a few bad eggs are in a dozen, you can eat the good and be fine.

If a few (used loosely) bad cops are shooting unarmed citizens, it's a problem.

I don't see the harm in analyzing and bettering training to minimize those instances even further.

Quote Originally Posted by GGGGG-Men View Post
    If a few bad eggs are in a dozen, you can eat the good and be fine.

If a few (used loosely) bad cops are shooting unarmed citizens, it's a problem.

I don't see the harm in analyzing and bettering training to minimize those instances even further.
    Fair point.

So you're of the opinion that even if it's only a few bad eggs, this constitutes a problem as the few armed police can potentially harm many innocent civilians.

I agree the idea is to minimize those instances, but how do you do so? When we've already acknowledged that there is implicit bias involved

Fair point.

So you're of the opinion that even if it's only a few bad eggs, this constitutes a problem as the few armed police can potentially harm many innocent civilians.

I agree the idea is to minimize those instances, but how do you do so? When we've already acknowledged that there is implicit bias involved
    Well, I don't think the ratio really matters in this situation. I think any killings of unarmed people above the number 0 is probably worth examining, and it's clearly a lot more than 0. I don't go in for the hysterics on either side of the politicized version of this topic, but I take a more reasonable approach (or at least I think so) which is; you can't possibly identify with the craziness that police go through every day BUT if unarmed people are getting shot....we can't turn away from that. There's a problem.

As far as minimizing, there are already case studies around the country where they've greatly reduced police "violence" against suspects through deescalating training and techniques. It's never gonna be perfect (whether its race based or not), but we should at least keep perfection as the goal.

I also think the disproportion against certain races goes hand-in-hand with social class which is the bigger issue than just race, but that might be a whole other topic.

Quote Originally Posted by GGGGG-Men View Post
    Well, I don't think the ratio really matters in this situation. I think any killings of unarmed people above the number 0 is probably worth examining, and it's clearly a lot more than 0. I don't go in for the hysterics on either side of the politicized version of this topic, but I take a more reasonable approach (or at least I think so) which is; you can't possibly identify with the craziness that police go through every day BUT if unarmed people are getting shot....we can't turn away from that. There's a problem.

As far as minimizing, there are already case studies around the country where they've greatly reduced police "violence" against suspects through deescalating training and techniques. It's never gonna be perfect (whether its race based or not), but we should at least keep perfection as the goal.

I also think the disproportion against certain races goes hand-in-hand with social class which is the bigger issue than just race, but that might be a whole other topic.
    I think at least the focus should be on those areas with low social class as that's where the racial, and poverty issues tend to be more prominent.

The question here mainly is, do you think that, like you say, anything about zero is a problem? Not everyone think so, there are people out there of the belief that the price of a few innocents killed is worth the overall "mission" of law enforcement, so curious to see who thinks we have a real problem, or it's overblown.

Anything less than perfect is a problem. Realistically we can never expect perfection so this will ALWAYS be a problem.

NE Patriots Forum HOF (Class of 2011)

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast