Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 5 of 158 FirstFirst ... 345671555105 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by smood999 View Post
    Before the draft I said that a Kawhi Leonard situation is rare and that most players usually just improve on whatever offensive skillsets they already possess coming in. They don't learn how to become a great offensive player without having those tools already there.

I may not be able to find an example of someone drastically improving their handles, but I don't think his handles are that bad. I think he more lacks the creativity, confidence, and athleticism (which all can be improved) to get by a defender.
    His handles are that bad and they were on full display last night. They might eventually become acceptable for a wing player but they are leap years behind even an average NBA PG. This was on full display in the second half last night and they'll become a bigger issue as the scouting report on him develops. I'm just pissed off that we have to rely on 34 year old Jack to play 30+ min on b2bs. Jack's been good btw, but he was obviously gassed last night and we had no one to come in and fill his shoes. Very reminiscent of pre-Linsanity 2011-12 Knicks, when Toney Douglas and Shumpert were forced to run the point

He is a teenager holding his own against NBA players after having barely any practice time or preseason. His handle is fine too me. You know what improves your game?? Confidence and playing time. Some of the comments in here are ridiculous.

Quote Originally Posted by BK Knick5 View Post
    His handles are that bad and they were on full display last night. They might eventually become acceptable for a wing player but they are leap years behind even an average NBA PG. This was on full display in the second half last night and they'll become a bigger issue as the scouting report on him develops. I'm just pissed off that we have to rely on 34 year old Jack to play 30+ min on b2bs. Jack's been good btw, but he was obviously gassed last night and we had no one to come in and fill his shoes. Very reminiscent of pre-Linsanity 2011-12 Knicks, when Toney Douglas and Shumpert were forced to run the point
    Again... he's 19 man. It's gonna take a lil time, just the way it goes.

It's a bit funny you bring up Linsanity though... Remember that Heat game where Lin couldn't get the ball up the court? He was 23 at the time and people were saying his handles were extremely vulnerable (which they were to a degree).

But yeah... this isn't the finished product of Frank. Gonna have to wait a few years to see that.

I know the perception is that Curry changed drastically as a player, but he didn't. No one just expected him to get to the level he's at now. He's been doing this since college and in the few HS clips I've seen of him.

Quote Originally Posted by HeartOfStarks View Post

It's a bit funny you bring up Linsanity though... Remember that Heat game where Lin couldn't get the ball up the court? He was 23 at the time and people were saying his handles were extremely vulnerable (which they were to a degree).

But yeah... this isn't the finished product of Frank. Gonna have to wait a few years to see that.
    yup... great example. i also remember us playing TOR and Calderon was the starting PG for TOR at the time, and he was struggling to bring up the ball against Shump's defense... Shump even stripped him at one point and went the other way for a dunk.

it happens, Murray played some great on ball D last night against Frank and it clearly unnerved him. Frank will need to go through moments like that to get better.

Quote Originally Posted by smood999 View Post
    I know the perception is that Curry changed drastically as a player, but he didn't. No one just expected him to get to the level he's at now. He's been doing this since college and in the few HS clips I've seen of him.

He's toying with guys off the dribble as a rookie.

Quote Originally Posted by HeartOfStarks View Post

Yes, there's an example lol. To his point though, we struggled to find one. Regardless, I don't think it's all that bad.

We'll see as the season progresses but thus far he's been extremely overrated by the forum. It seems people are trying to will him into being a good player by believing he's one. I pray Jack never goes down so we don't have to witness 30+ min of Frank running the O.

I don't disagree that Frank struggles big time against full court pressure and we would be in trouble if he was forced to run point for 30 minutes.

That said, I think getting more comfortable against NBA pressure are things he can easily improve upon over time.

As bad as Sessions is, I think that is why we need to keep him on the roster because he at the very least is comfortable bringing the ball up against pressure.

Dribbling is a skill not a talent. You can improve dribbling, just like you can improve shooting. It's called work ethic. See me in 3 years and let's talk about Frank and his bringing the ball up the court. Anyway, as a coach, if I see that, then I'm having Kanter set some New York flavored screens on cats and maybe that pressure will easy up a bit.

I just don't see him as our PG of the future and am extremely disappointed in the fact that after the draft starting PG remains our biggest need. Jack's done an excellent job - definitely exceeded expectations but he's optimally a back up.

Quote Originally Posted by teddygreen17 View Post
    Dribbling is a skill not a talent. You can improve dribbling, just like you can improve shooting. It's called work ethic. See me in 3 years and let's talk about Frank and his bringing the ball up the court. Anyway, as a coach, if I see that, then I'm having Kanter set some New York flavored screens on cats and maybe that pressure will easy up a bit.
    Hell yes.

This isn't true, handles develop develop during adolescence and remain pretty much the same from then on. This is why there isn't a single example of an NBA player going from garbage ballhandler to even average.

Quote Originally Posted by rhymeratic View Post
    So as we continue to follow our young Knickerbocker's career, I'm starting to see something that makes me feel and think that we got ourselves a bonafide POTENTIAL future star on our hands.

To me his game reminds me of the following players in terms of when they came into the league and how they matured:

1. Kawhi Leonard
    2. George Hill
    3. Shaun Livingston
    4. Mike Conley
    5. Jrue Holiday

So you're probably looking at the list and saying how in the world do you compare him to Kawhi or Livingston...

It looks like Frank is a tremendous 2-way player that plays a balanced game and his defense doesn't take away from his offensive game. He's also a creative passer and excellent defender due to his size with solid dribble. All of those guys posses aspects of this. I STRONGLY believe that under the right mentoring, he could experience the gains made by Kawhi at the highest and Conley at a slower pace OR level out to be Shaun Livingston.

So essentially no matter what his floor is a HIGH functioning role player (Livingston), his ceiling is a borderline top 10 player (Kawhi) and more than likely a future semi all star PG (Conley/Holiday)

Let's start by saying nice thread topic about our young rookie and potential.

But the bold I just don't understand because how can we understand anything about Frank after a couple games and compare him to maturation? That will take some time.

But I've said this before, watching Frank he reminds of the type of player Derek Harper was, size, handle, poise, seeing the court, toughness and their shots are similar in style.

As Frank matures we can only hope for him to be Derek as a Knick, to me he'll always be the MVP of that Riley/Starks mess up in the Championship game having Rolando sitting on the bench with a deadly shot.

But any way each game I watch him I see more and more of Derek Harper, go watch some film you'll see what I mean.

Quote Originally Posted by still a fan View Post
    Let's start by saying nice thread topic about our young rookie and potential.

But the bold I just don't understand because how can we understand anything about Frank after a couple games and compare him to maturation? That will take some time.

But I've said this before, watching Frank he reminds of the type of player Derek Harper was, size, handle, poise, seeing the court, toughness and their shots are similar in style.

As Frank matures we can only hope for him to be Derek as a Knick, to me he'll always be the MVP of that Riley/Starks mess up in the Championship game having Rolando sitting on the bench with a deadly shot.

But any way each game I watch him I see more and more of Derek Harper, go watch some film you'll see what I mean.
    this post gave me chills

Quote Originally Posted by Raps08-09 Champ View Post
    My dick is named 'Ewing'.

Page 5 of 158 FirstFirst ... 345671555105 ... LastLast