Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 31
  1. #16
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    872
    I really like this swiss army knife of a bench svg has going on. My one question is why is Boban on this roster?

  2. #17
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    4,718
    Quote Originally Posted by GuySir View Post
    honestly man, I feel like calling Bradley an upgraded KCP is like calling a wolverine an upgraded squirrel. KCP's defense was so overrated, he statistically graded out as a negative defender, whereas AB is league-wide considered a top 3 wing defender, his presence has been clear even in limited games so far
    Yeah for sure. Just go look at KCP last couple games, he's the same dude he was in Detroit. People thought he'd change his approach due to being on a more free-flowing offense. Nah, he still pulls up in transition and does entirely his own thing. Had 20 in his first game and then like 13 7 and 2 in the following 3. That's the KCP experience. Bradley is so much better, and even his teammates have said how it brings out the best in them. Go look at Reggie's defense. I know he's not playing the top guard every night, but remember 2 years ago when he was EASILY the worst player on our team in terms of defense. I think he's actually okay now in that respect. He's not good defensively, probably never will be, but he's merely okay, and that's good enough when you got guys like Bradley and an engaged Drummond to help balance it out.

    I think what makes this team overall solid is their growth + health. Think about our playoff run year 2 seasons ago, we had no bench but an entirely healthy starting line up. We go into the offseason and try to maintain our starters, but add a bench. We do just that. However, the health bug flips, Reggie gets hurt and it neutralizes our offense all year, so then our bench guys are expected to do more (Ish needed to be a productive starter in this case), but it doesn't work, and we take a step back. Reggie who was our best player in the rotation in 2015, became our worst player in 2016/2017, now he's one of our best players again. Drummond has evolved the most. His willingness on defense and his new willingness to pass instead of jack up shots is such a crucial development. That game the other day where he put up 15 pts/ 17 boards might be the best game he's ever played as a Piston. I know he's dwarfed those numbers countless times, but he played excellent defense and absolutely owned his match up in Deandre Jordan, who ultimately, you wish Drummond would become (with better free throws of course).

    Obviously health won't persist all year, we're gonna get banged up eventually, but man this feels good right now. We have everybody playing when/where they're supposed to.

    The only thing that irks me right now is Leuer. He is absolutely terrible in every facet. SVG has given him an incredibly long leash but it looks like he finally just gave up on him against GSW. He played 7 total minutes, none in the 2nd half. I don't think there's something Leuer does convincingly better than Tolliver or Ellenson. The fact that Leuer would be the first dude off the bench for Drummond pissed me off beyond belief, but I'm hoping that's going to change. The worst part about Leuer is that it seems like he just forgot how to play basketball. It reminds of me when Hibbert legitimately just fell off a cliff basketball-wise. Leuer was brought here to shoot pick and pop 3s with Reggie/Ish...he hasn't made a 3 all year, an he only had 3 total attempts. He was never going to be a top 3 pt shooter, but he wasn't supposed to be THIS. I don't know if it's his confidence or what, but since about February of last season, he's been absolutely awful. I watch the games off streams and I watch the shots Leuer takes during the pre-game/halftime shootarounds and he legitimately air balls 3s. His shot is so flat now. I'm not sure what happened to him, but he's just been a shell since last year's all-star break. If SVG paid Boban and wants to sit him, I understand, but he must make the same decision with Leuer too. I just don't think he's going to turn it around.

    Outside of that, I think everything is clicking. Ish is getting the back up minutes he's supposed to have. Reggie has returned to form for now (and hopefully long term). Bradley has had some inconsistent shooting nights early on, but his career %s suggest he's an above average shooter and I think the past 2 games signal that. His defense is incredible. I think Stanley has made the leap. His defense is awesome and you can tell his shot is coming around, although I doubt it'll ever be anything above average. Tobias seems to be our premiere offensive catalyst, and then obviously we talked about Drummond already. I think Galloway is what we HOPED Jodie Meeks would be - Okay defense and a great shooter. Tolliver is the spark off the bench who provides good defense, and Bullock provides good D as well (I hope he develops a consistent shot).

    This is what we hoped for last season, but now it's finally materializing.

  3. #18
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Saginaw, MI
    Posts
    23,981
    Spencer Dinwiddie has been pretty solid for the Nets so far, I know this doesn't pertain to the current thread lol, but thought I'd throw it out there anyway. Apparently he doesn't suck at shooting anymore, hitting almost 42% on threes so far (we'll see if that holds up). He also has 20+ PER which is kinda nuts for a player who was so horrible for us and seemed to have shattered confidence syndrome. With Lin out he figures to get starter minutes right? Going by his per 36 he has a stat line of approx 17 pts, 9 assists, 5 rebounds. Good for him, would be cool if he keeps it up, they beat Cleveland in his only start so far

  4. #19
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    2,062
    Quote Originally Posted by Zspooner View Post
    Yeah for sure. Just go look at KCP last couple games, he's the same dude he was in Detroit. People thought he'd change his approach due to being on a more free-flowing offense. Nah, he still pulls up in transition and does entirely his own thing. Had 20 in his first game and then like 13 7 and 2 in the following 3. That's the KCP experience. Bradley is so much better, and even his teammates have said how it brings out the best in them. Go look at Reggie's defense. I know he's not playing the top guard every night, but remember 2 years ago when he was EASILY the worst player on our team in terms of defense. I think he's actually okay now in that respect. He's not good defensively, probably never will be, but he's merely okay, and that's good enough when you got guys like Bradley and an engaged Drummond to help balance it out.

    I think what makes this team overall solid is their growth + health. Think about our playoff run year 2 seasons ago, we had no bench but an entirely healthy starting line up. We go into the offseason and try to maintain our starters, but add a bench. We do just that. However, the health bug flips, Reggie gets hurt and it neutralizes our offense all year, so then our bench guys are expected to do more (Ish needed to be a productive starter in this case), but it doesn't work, and we take a step back. Reggie who was our best player in the rotation in 2015, became our worst player in 2016/2017, now he's one of our best players again. Drummond has evolved the most. His willingness on defense and his new willingness to pass instead of jack up shots is such a crucial development. That game the other day where he put up 15 pts/ 17 boards might be the best game he's ever played as a Piston. I know he's dwarfed those numbers countless times, but he played excellent defense and absolutely owned his match up in Deandre Jordan, who ultimately, you wish Drummond would become (with better free throws of course).

    Obviously health won't persist all year, we're gonna get banged up eventually, but man this feels good right now. We have everybody playing when/where they're supposed to.

    The only thing that irks me right now is Leuer. He is absolutely terrible in every facet. SVG has given him an incredibly long leash but it looks like he finally just gave up on him against GSW. He played 7 total minutes, none in the 2nd half. I don't think there's something Leuer does convincingly better than Tolliver or Ellenson. The fact that Leuer would be the first dude off the bench for Drummond pissed me off beyond belief, but I'm hoping that's going to change. The worst part about Leuer is that it seems like he just forgot how to play basketball. It reminds of me when Hibbert legitimately just fell off a cliff basketball-wise. Leuer was brought here to shoot pick and pop 3s with Reggie/Ish...he hasn't made a 3 all year, an he only had 3 total attempts. He was never going to be a top 3 pt shooter, but he wasn't supposed to be THIS. I don't know if it's his confidence or what, but since about February of last season, he's been absolutely awful. I watch the games off streams and I watch the shots Leuer takes during the pre-game/halftime shootarounds and he legitimately air balls 3s. His shot is so flat now. I'm not sure what happened to him, but he's just been a shell since last year's all-star break. If SVG paid Boban and wants to sit him, I understand, but he must make the same decision with Leuer too. I just don't think he's going to turn it around.

    Outside of that, I think everything is clicking. Ish is getting the back up minutes he's supposed to have. Reggie has returned to form for now (and hopefully long term). Bradley has had some inconsistent shooting nights early on, but his career %s suggest he's an above average shooter and I think the past 2 games signal that. His defense is incredible. I think Stanley has made the leap. His defense is awesome and you can tell his shot is coming around, although I doubt it'll ever be anything above average. Tobias seems to be our premiere offensive catalyst, and then obviously we talked about Drummond already. I think Galloway is what we HOPED Jodie Meeks would be - Okay defense and a great shooter. Tolliver is the spark off the bench who provides good defense, and Bullock provides good D as well (I hope he develops a consistent shot).

    This is what we hoped for last season, but now it's finally materializing.
    Don't disagree with anything. Leuer was added as a D against the Kevin Love types - Aldridge comes to mind. He played exactly as he was suppose to in the first half of last year. I think a lot of it is confidence, but also who he was playing for. The Suns weren't going anywhere while he was there, he came here and we were just off making the playoffsand giving Clev a good 4 games. He comes in and settles in a role and then was asked to do more. I don't buy SVG's claim about minutes. Sue, Dre' can lose 30 lbs and look/play better (excl'g surgery effects), Kobe can gain/cut 15 lbs and change his game a bit but these guys are supposedly near peak conditioning during the season. There is "game shape" and off-season shape, but after the first 20 games - all else equal - you are in shape. I agree - he does look like Hibbert out there - completely lost on some plays.

    Health is always a determinant, so hopefully it continues. But I do believe Bradley's defense has set the tone. He's not a guy who will bark at you, but manages and leads by example and those are always the best leaders.

    Tonight will be a test in that - do we play to the level of our competition or do we come out and dominate. We're not the Bad Boys, but coming at you strong and physical sets the tone. You could tell Curry was bothered by Bradley.

    Dre' ?? Why didn't he have that surgery 4 years ago? I think that has played a significant part. Just think - if any of you guys played sports - having a bloody nose with a cotton plug and running up the court/field. Again, why not have the surgery years ago.

    Not yet sold on RJ. Need a few more weeks to see if he's actually back.

    I think Stanley is playing exactly the way SVG wants him to and the game has slowed down for him. He can effect the game by D, rebounding, etc.

  5. #20
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    2,062
    Quote Originally Posted by GuySir View Post
    Spencer Dinwiddie has been pretty solid for the Nets so far, I know this doesn't pertain to the current thread lol, but thought I'd throw it out there anyway. Apparently he doesn't suck at shooting anymore, hitting almost 42% on threes so far (we'll see if that holds up). He also has 20+ PER which is kinda nuts for a player who was so horrible for us and seemed to have shattered confidence syndrome. With Lin out he figures to get starter minutes right? Going by his per 36 he has a stat line of approx 17 pts, 9 assists, 5 rebounds. Good for him, would be cool if he keeps it up, they beat Cleveland in his only start so far
    Always liked Dinwiddie and his porn stache'. I think he tried to hard to comeback after his kneed surgery. I had my ACL done in 86 - NO I'm not comparing the two - only to the extent that within 12 months as a professional athlete, you can have the strength back in the knee. It's the mental part that takes 2-3 years to get to for most players - Adrian Peterson aside. Hew seems like a nice dude and hope it works out for him except when they play us.

  6. #21
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    2,062
    Yes - off topic. Go Justin & Houston.

    I hate them goddamn flags from everyone's car window and Dodger fans are the worst. Hate 'em all - except the wife.

  7. #22
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    76,756
    Quote Originally Posted by markbutter View Post
    Yes - off topic. Go Justin & Houston.

    I hate them goddamn flags from everyone's car window and Dodger fans are the worst. Hate 'em all - except the wife.
    I was at the Lions game on Sunday night and the thing Lions and Steelers fans could agree on was they hated the Dodgers. The place erupted after we saw Houston tie the game at 4.

    As for this game I expect a win though Reggie's D on Lonzo Ball worries me.

  8. #23
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    18,290
    Quote Originally Posted by GuySir View Post
    Spencer Dinwiddie has been pretty solid for the Nets so far, I know this doesn't pertain to the current thread lol, but thought I'd throw it out there anyway. Apparently he doesn't suck at shooting anymore, hitting almost 42% on threes so far (we'll see if that holds up). He also has 20+ PER which is kinda nuts for a player who was so horrible for us and seemed to have shattered confidence syndrome. With Lin out he figures to get starter minutes right? Going by his per 36 he has a stat line of approx 17 pts, 9 assists, 5 rebounds. Good for him, would be cool if he keeps it up, they beat Cleveland in his only start so far
    the fact that Steve Blake would player over him irked me so much.

    i saw potential out of Dinwiddie anytime he stepped on the court, no idea how SVG didn't

  9. #24
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    76,756
    This is exactly the start I was afraid of. The good news is the play 48 minutes.

  10. #25
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Saginaw, MI
    Posts
    23,981
    anyone surprised?

  11. #26
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    2,062
    Quote Originally Posted by GuySir View Post
    anyone surprised?
    Wish I could say I was.

    3rd game in 4 nights, but this is the type of game against a weaker opponent that good teams need to beat.

    Don't know what Harris needed to do to get a call. The play against Lopez's block was a foul. It's my understanding that going straight up but NOT bringing down your arms is not a foul. On the next play or two, even the Laker announcers said he got fouled. Thought SVG should have taken a technical.

    But we came out flat, played flat and contributed to the habit of falling behind and then trying to pull it out.

  12. #27
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    18,290
    we didn't shoot a free throw till there was 2 minutes left

  13. #28
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    18,290
    Drummond went 14/16 from the free throw line. that's insane.

    my opinion on this guy has changed a lot this season. he's still really stubborn on defense at times but god damn 14 for 16 wtf?

    good win tho. 6-3 let's go !

  14. #29
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Saginaw, MI
    Posts
    23,981
    Quote Originally Posted by rocket View Post
    Drummond went 14/16 from the free throw line. that's insane.

    my opinion on this guy has changed a lot this season. he's still really stubborn on defense at times but god damn 14 for 16 wtf?

    good win tho. 6-3 let's go !
    That's what stood out to me, too, and he was already over 70% from the line so far, his new "form" is definitely working so far

  15. #30
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Saginaw, MI
    Posts
    23,981
    did I emphasize "so far" enough? lol

    seriously I was hoping he could just get over 50% instead of being the worst ever, but if he can really be a 70% FT shooter, wow

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •