Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 17 of 21 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by QB_Eagles View Post
    Did you create the chart? It's pretty good but I think it would have been better to use the color for 8+ defenders in the box, because there's less variance than in total yardage. It's really hard to see color differences at closely located players.

Howard seems pretty red to me -- more than McCoy for example but higher up on 8+ defenders -- so he'd probably be the most underrated back.

I would also be interested to know if nickel DBs count as "in the box".
    I needs a way to validate that "in the box" for sure. The Steelers run a ton of 11 personnel and run the ball out of that formation. That shouldn't be a knock on Bell, rather a kudos to Haley for being smart and understanding that being in the 11 personnel puts defenses in a bind because you need to be able to defend everything from 5 wide (00 personnel) and 2 wide (12 personnel pulling Juju tight to the line thanks to his blocking). Is this also measured pre-motion, or post motion? Because that's another thing the Steelers did.

The in the box thing is hard to use as such a strong metric because of what teams do on the field anymore.

Especially in Gurley's and Bell's cases. Those are two guys on offenses with lots of skill across the board and do some interesting things. They are also great RB's on teams with explosive passing offenses. Yes it's going to make some stats a little more impressive, but then if teams load the box, there would be things to point out that their passing offenses are good because they aren't facing 5 DB's as much.

I would bet if you go through the history of top offenses with top RB's you would see many of the RB's land on a similar area on that graph.

PROCESSING

Did you create the chart? It's pretty good but I think it would have been better to use the color for 8+ defenders in the box, because there's less variance than in total yardage. It's really hard to see color differences at closely located players.

Howard seems pretty red to me -- more than McCoy for example but higher up on 8+ defenders -- so he'd probably be the most underrated back.

I would also be interested to know if nickel DBs count as "in the box".
    I did not. Stolen from reddit, which probably stole it from twitter.

Agree that the chart isn't ideal for visualization and analysis. I don't like that they split up carries and yards when they could have used yards per carry and probably gotten better visuals. But I also assume they didn't do that because it mucked something up that they were trying to show.

The other thing is while some RBs may not often face 8 in the box, that might be because of scheme or quality of their passing attack and it doesn't mean they might not do just as well if they were facing that many defenders. Similarly a guy who has success on a stacked box may struggle on a lighter box. So it's all a bit subjective. But in general the two should have a causal relationship.

I'd like to get the raw data into a cube to work on it a bit. But probably wouldn't be free.
    First 4 years:
    Brown - 54 GP, 27 GS, 261 catches (63.3%) for 3,561 yds (8.6 AVG), 15 TD
    Landry - 64 GP, 57 GS, 400 catches (70.2%) for 4,038 yds (10.1 AVG), 22 TD

Huh. Wonder why Landry is getting paid so much...

"Hater" is a term used by weak minded people in the face of legitimate criticism.
    -Scott van Pelt

Quote Originally Posted by Bullseyed View Post
    I'd like to get the raw data into a cube to work on it a bit. But probably wouldn't be free.
    IIRC the newest version of Excel can do 3-axis charts.

There really should be a cart for the 3 most common offensive sets:

Axisís for YPC, players in the box, and I would like to see TDrate.

I think that would give you a really good picture.

PROCESSING

Quote Originally Posted by Bullseyed View Post
    I did not. Stolen from reddit, which probably stole it from twitter.

Agree that the chart isn't ideal for visualization and analysis. I don't like that they split up carries and yards when they could have used yards per carry and probably gotten better visuals. But I also assume they didn't do that because it mucked something up that they were trying to show.

The other thing is while some RBs may not often face 8 in the box, that might be because of scheme or quality of their passing attack and it doesn't mean they might not do just as well if they were facing that many defenders. Similarly a guy who has success on a stacked box may struggle on a lighter box. So it's all a bit subjective. But in general the two should have a causal relationship.

I think it's really just a visualization of this data, as referenced in the image: https://nextgenstats.nfl.com/stats/r...ight-defenders

Their EFF stat is also quite interesting, it measures the total distance a player travels carrying the ball on run plays divided by yards gained. Not sure if that number can be expressed as good or bad though; there are several factors going into this not controlled by the RB, i.e. playcalling or having to evade tacklers that weren't blocked.

I think it's really just a visualization of this data, as referenced in the image: https://nextgenstats.nfl.com/stats/r...ight-defenders

Their EFF stat is also quite interesting, it measures the total distance a player travels carrying the ball on run plays divided by yards gained. Not sure if that number can be expressed as good or bad though; there are several factors going into this not controlled by the RB, i.e. playcalling or having to evade tacklers that weren't blocked.
    True. Maybe could copy paste it into Excel easily enough with a pivot table. Just would be easier in PowerBI.
    First 4 years:

"Hater" is a term used by weak minded people in the face of legitimate criticism.
    -Scott van Pelt

Georgia for the upset. I think Fromm's passing will outshine Hurts. Both teams will look to shut down the run, it's all about who makes more downfield plays.

The Bears are making a habit of getting excited by someone's success that has only taken place over a very short period of time. Mitch Trubisky only had one season's worth of starts at UNC. Matt Nagy had only been calling plays for six games in KC.

Quote Originally Posted by MidwestJimmy View Post
    The Bears are making a habit of getting excited by someone's success that has only taken place over a very short period of time. Mitch Trubisky only had one season's worth of starts at UNC. Matt Nagy had only been calling plays for six games in KC.
    I don't think Doug Pederson called plays for KC.

PROCESSING

Quote Originally Posted by warfelg View Post
    It's interesting when a famous person has a child that is successful even thought they don't do the same thing. The Tomlins are kind of like how singer Tim McGraw is the son of MLB star Tug McGraw.

Quote Originally Posted by MidwestJimmy View Post
    It's interesting when a famous person has a child that is successful even thought they don't do the same thing. The Tomlins are kind of like how singer Tim McGraw is the son of MLB star Tug McGraw.
    Yeah, interesting how fame works. Like when someone who cant sing can just use his last name to force his way into stardom

Quote Originally Posted by IHateTheSkins View Post
    Yeah, interesting how fame works. Like when someone who cant sing can just use his last name to force his way into stardom
    The animated sitcom "Family Guy" did a funny bit about that. They named off a whole list.

It is said that Brady injured his ring finger in practice. But which one is unclear since all 5 are ring fingers.

groan
    First 4 years:

-Scott van Pelt

I'd like to thank NFL network for re living the 2014 playoffs. It's not much but when you don't have anything then anything will do...

Tony Romo..6 sacks down 20-7 in the 3rd qrt..finished with a 114 qbr and the W. Great game.

On second thought I feel worse now ...forget the dez no catch the killer was the batted ball at the end of the game that ended up being a long completion...jeez.

Page 17 of 21 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast