Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 3 of 29 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Officiating

Quote Originally Posted by ewing View Post
    Sixers fans have to the whiniest in the league. you are not the that good and you beat the rockets tonight, stop it
    whinest? maybe but look at the free throw advantage for the other team against us so far and you will then understand.

I'd say the fines are more out of whack this year than the officiating.

Do you guys ever give credit to a ref for a good call? That's my point. You guys just focus on the few bad calls and generalize a referee by it but when there's a great call made, none of you say "Wow, good call by X."

Tobias Harris gets no respect. Pistons didn't even get a freethrow attempt until midway through the 3rd quarter last night. Ended the game with 3 FT attempts in total. Tobias was hacked 3 different times, 2 in which he scored. Not saying we win the game but people don't realize how bad officiating affects the game. Basketball is very momentum based and bad reffing kills a teams momentum.

Like I said though, Lakers probably still win that game. They were hitting open shots and Drummond still doesn't like to defend anyone. It's just annoying because we had two chances to start a come back and never really got a fair shake.

P.S. I knew Lonzo would expose Reggie Jackson. I'm about done with Jackson. Ish runs an offense, Reggie kills an offense.

Quote Originally Posted by Vee-Rex View Post
    They haven't changed anything, I was just joking.

Refs seem to be letting teams slug it out. They're pretty loose with the whistle. LeBron is averaging his lowest FTA of his career. He absorbs a lot of contact that would probably be ruled a foul if it were another player. At the same time, he has been pushing off on practically every drive to the rim this year so I guess it balances out a little bit.

The most frustrating for me so far are the illegal screens. I feel like it's worse. And I don't blame the players one bit - if they're gonna allow you to grab and hold people on off-ball screens then might as well keep doing it. The Bulls (Felicio on like EVERY possession) were doing it so much it was hard to watch.

Whatever happened to standing still with your wrists crossed in front of you? Isn't that the official rule? There's a little leeway if the screener rolls to the basket but that's it.
    Hehe ... I wasn't sure. It was possible they made it legal.

I've seen a few games that were called very close, with almost no contact allowed. The variation in officiating is really frustrating to watch, it must be horrible to live it.

Quote Originally Posted by FlashBolt View Post
    My perspective on NBA reffing has always been that they have the toughest job outside of NFL refs in major American sports and considering that, they are pretty great overall. I mean, Joey Crawford was always known as a "bad ref" to most but actually was really consistent as a ref. People just need to let it go, IMO. All this talk about the reffing just starts to get old. More often than not, the calls even out. Unless you are advocating that the league is rigged and the refs are part of it, there really isn't much to discuss.
    I think it's reasonable to discuss the changes to the officiating this year and also to discuss ways they can make it better.

I think it's obvious that there should be 4 refs with them working base line to opposite side 3 point line each and staying on the side lines. Give them less distance to run and split the jobs down by 30% per person. With so much 3 point shooting now the top ref spends a lot of time looking to see if the shooters feet are behind the line and miss hooks and other fouls up top.

Really all I want is for the rules to be enforced consistently, and I don't think there are enough eyes on the floor to come close with the size and speed of the players and today's game.

I'm also for allowing refs to call anything they see in a replay in the last 2 minutes. I'd much rather they get it right rather than bypass an uncalled foul that caused a loss of possession when they are replaying who touched it last.

Quote Originally Posted by FlashBolt View Post
    Do you guys ever give credit to a ref for a good call? That's my point. You guys just focus on the few bad calls and generalize a referee by it but when there's a great call made, none of you say "Wow, good call by X."
    I don't know about others but I definitely do. The vast majority of the calls made are correct. Missed calls are more frustrating for me.

I'm seeing a lot of shooters coming down with defenders under them and I'm not seeing it called much at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Scoots View Post
    I'm seeing a lot of shooters coming down with defenders under them and I'm not seeing it called much at all.
    Point of emphasis to not call it if the shooter jumps into the defender.

PROCESSING

Quote Originally Posted by warfelg View Post
    Point of emphasis to not call it if the shooter jumps into the defender.
    Yes, but I'm seeing it happen even when the shooter drifts backward. It looks like it was just a PR move since it's still happening regularly.

Quote Originally Posted by Scoots View Post
    That was a cool video, thanks for sharing that. It's very interesting to hear things from the side of the refs. I didn't realize how much the referee's didn't like the mouth-piece being thrown. I would have never suspected that quite frankly.

Quote Originally Posted by Firefistus View Post
    That was a cool video, thanks for sharing that. It's very interesting to hear things from the side of the refs. I didn't realize how much the referee's didn't like the mouth-piece being thrown. I would have never suspected that quite frankly.
    There are a bunch of videos in that series. Nunn is good at describing what the refs are looking at during the game and it's kind of easy to see how there are some fouls that don't get called ... the fact is that no refs are looking at some things by plan and the better defensive guys know what they can get away with.

There has been a lot of talk about illegal screens being allowed. I've seen 3 legal screens get called in the last few days because the offensive player sold the contact.

The refs who called that flagrant 2 on Melo should be suspended.

Page 3 of 29 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast