Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 29 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Officiating

Officiating

Any thoughts on the officiating this year?

Generally they seem a little better now than they were late in the season last year.

They are calling the same ticky-tack contact but they are calling it more consistently at least.

The change to the rule where an offensive player creates contact outside not getting it called a shooting foul seems to have been forgotten by the refs.

It's ****.

PROCESSING

Officiating is ***. To take an Embiid-ism.

PROCESSING

Always room for improvement

Better than last year for sure.
    Don’t forget to smile today, they’re contagious!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Scoots View Post
    Any thoughts on the officiating this year?

Generally they seem a little better now than they were late in the season last year.

They are calling the same ticky-tack contact but they are calling it more consistently at least.

The change to the rule where an offensive player creates contact outside not getting it called a shooting foul seems to have been forgotten by the refs.
    I have seen a lot of offensive players create contact on the drive and get the call. The league had gotten away from that a little but its seems a little out of hand again. Fast strong drivers like Wall can drive out of control at 100 mph and be rewarded with free throws.

Quote Originally Posted by Raps08-09 Champ View Post
    My dick is named 'Ewing'.

The Jazz Announcers talked about the points of emphasis that the ref's have this year, and the 2 biggest ones to me were traveling, and forcing contact out on the three if it's not in their natural shooting position. Both of which I think is a good thing to clean up.

Travelling happens ALL the time, and it's good they are focusing on it, and I've seen it called ALOT already, it's actually what has caused most of Ricky Rubio's turnovers this year so far.

The natural shot thing was also getting on my nerve, I'm glad they're putting a stop to this. You could have someone at the three taking a shot, and the defense comes up, jumps in the air and try to stop the shot from the side. Suddenly the shooter jumps sideways and causes a foul. It wasn't his natural shooting form at all, but he gets three free throws because he jumped sideways.

It takes a bit, but everyone needs to get used to the new calls, teams will adjust and it will be fine.

I hate the call of catching a pass, pumpfaking, and taking the first step at the same time as putting the balldown is now a travel.

PROCESSING

Quote Originally Posted by warfelg View Post
    I hate the call of catching a pass, pumpfaking, and taking the first step at the same time as putting the balldown is now a travel.
    its always been a travel but never got called, depending on which hood you play in and how intense the game is that ish gets called so many times its annoying AF. But yea, they may be emphasizing it more but its been a part of the game for years, basically getting a small head start on the defender before you put the ball down. One step can make a huge difference in bball

First Sim League Title!

Quote Originally Posted by Rivera View Post
    its always been a travel but never got called, depending on which hood you play in and how intense the game is that ish gets called so many times its annoying AF. But yea, they may be emphasizing it more but its been a part of the game for years, basically getting a small head start on the defender before you put the ball down. One step can make a huge difference in bball
    Ever hear about a pivot foot?

You can keep one foot on the ground, start to step with the other, and start your dribble and you aren't travelling, especially if the pivot foot stays.

And no I've never seen anyone "called" for that in a game that's of the pickup variety.

PROCESSING

Quote Originally Posted by Firefistus View Post
    The Jazz Announcers talked about the points of emphasis that the ref's have this year, and the 2 biggest ones to me were traveling, and forcing contact out on the three if it's not in their natural shooting position. Both of which I think is a good thing to clean up.

Travelling happens ALL the time, and it's good they are focusing on it, and I've seen it called ALOT already, it's actually what has caused most of Ricky Rubio's turnovers this year so far.

The natural shot thing was also getting on my nerve, I'm glad they're putting a stop to this. You could have someone at the three taking a shot, and the defense comes up, jumps in the air and try to stop the shot from the side. Suddenly the shooter jumps sideways and causes a foul. It wasn't his natural shooting form at all, but he gets three free throws because he jumped sideways.

It takes a bit, but everyone needs to get used to the new calls, teams will adjust and it will be fine.
    I agree on liking traveling being called again. I hope they keep it up.

The "natural shot" fouls are still being called wrong.

I've noticed that sometimes when a defender closes out on a shooter and touches the shooter as they extend to get contact after the shot is gone it's called a foul and sometimes it isn't.

Quote Originally Posted by warfelg View Post
    I haven't seen that called. I have seen the little hop on the catch called a travel, and I've seen a player catch with a left foot pivot, then step with the right then put the ball down and get it called ... and I don't know if they are thinking the ball has to leave their hand before the left foot comes up?

I hate when they call a travel on LeBron's crab dribble. That has been established as a legitimate move a long time ago. Like... wtf?
    The Baker is coming.

Not sure why this deserves it's own sticky thread, but I'll deal.

The league definitely made officiating changes a top offseason priority. Despite cleaning up the disastrous self initiating contact for 3 FT's, "superstars" are still getting their **** calls which is annoying.

Quote Originally Posted by Scoots View Post
    I haven't seen that called. I have seen the little hop on the catch called a travel, and I've seen a player catch with a left foot pivot, then step with the right then put the ball down and get it called ... and I don't know if they are thinking the ball has to leave their hand before the left foot comes up?
    That’s similar to what I’m talking about. They are taking to heart the “ball must leave the hand before moving” to heart.

PROCESSING

Page 1 of 29 12311 ... LastLast