Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 17 of 29 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast

Thread: Officiating

Doc's reputation as a coach was that he can get players motivated and defends his players. But if you look at his past history, he's been anything but.

Boston Celtics underachieved and with all that locker room mess that has been unveiling itself, the guy couldn't get it together. I mean, the guy let his PG smash a TV and ignore him when reviewing tape of games.

Then he gets to the Clippers and Chris Paul doesn't even seem to like the guy. Even to the point where there was so much disgust that both teams have been creating some friction (HOU vs LAC).

What an overrated coach. He's had an insane amount of talent the past decade but hasn't achieved much outside of that ring vs Lakers. Before that, he was leading a Celtics team that was a mid-tier team. Not sure why people thought he was a great coach. Not even close.

So Casey got ejected from the game because of something a fan yelled at the refs.. thatís gotta be some kind of new low for the officials

PROCESSING

Quote Originally Posted by warfelg View Post
    That wasn't a play on the ball. I don't know what that guy is tweeting.

Quote Originally Posted by FlashBolt View Post
    Its called sarcasm.

PROCESSING

Quote Originally Posted by warfelg View Post
    Its called sarcasm.
    lame

Quote Originally Posted by FlashBolt View Post
    The ball got nothing to do with it.

NBA Officiating is by far the worse in pro sports. Refs are holding grudges against players and they love their 15 mins. But the fact is every ref has their own idea of what a foul is or isn't, or who can handle certain contact. Which means we have the most inconstant games ever. Even though we have a rule book.

The problem is refs are not held accountable. Players, coaches, GM's and sometimes even owners are held accountable for their actions. Refs are not. If refs start to get hit with fines or suspensions for inconsistent ref'ing we will see a much better game.

I believe it was Curry awhile back who said he didn't care what the refs call or don't call. Just be consistent so players can know whats going on.
    For not honoring a sig bet I now own YEDB90

Quote Originally Posted by prodigy View Post
    NBA Officiating is by far the worse in pro sports. Refs are holding grudges against players and they love their 15 mins. But the fact is every ref has their own idea of what a foul is or isn't, or who can handle certain contact. Which means we have the most inconstant games ever. Even though we have a rule book.

The problem is refs are not held accountable. Players, coaches, GM's and sometimes even owners are held accountable for their actions. Refs are not. If refs start to get hit with fines or suspensions for inconsistent ref'ing we will see a much better game.

I believe it was Curry awhile back who said he didn't care what the refs call or don't call. Just be consistent so players can know whats going on.
    Have you watched much baseball over the past decade? All of those issues exist there too.

I think the biggest issue in the NBA is that the game has become too fast and too outside shooting oriented to be officiated like it was 20 years ago. The rules and the system the refs work in have not evolved enough to allow them to be good at the job. In addition to that a lot of the top veteran refs have retired over the last few years so the refs this year are a particularly young group.

- Add a ref up top, 2 refs work baseline to 3 point line extended one way the other two the opposite. Refs move less and that 2nd set of eyes up top takes away so many missed calls.
    - Take replay away from the on-court refs and have it done in Secaucus and as quickly as possible communicate the result to the lead ref on-court.
    - Add coach challenges to calls, 2 per game, any situation, overturned or not it costs them a timeout.
    - Clean up the charge, block, travel, hand check, and screen rules so they are more simply officiated and so people are more likely to agree on the "right" call rather than have the debate like we do now.
    - Clean up the rules on what to do when an offensive player creates contact.
    - Have flops found in-game or post-game review called as technical fouls.

A more radical idea is to allow members of the public to sign up to be game reviewers and allow the fans to determine what is and isn't a good call and what is and isn't a flop or a technical and have those results in a big-data way adjust the way the game is actually called going forward rather than leaving it to the Competition Committee and the Commissioner.

Quote Originally Posted by Scoots View Post
    Have you watched much baseball over the past decade? All of those issues exist there too.

I think the biggest issue in the NBA is that the game has become too fast and too outside shooting oriented to be officiated like it was 20 years ago. The rules and the system the refs work in have not evolved enough to allow them to be good at the job. In addition to that a lot of the top veteran refs have retired over the last few years so the refs this year are a particularly young group.

- Add a ref up top, 2 refs work baseline to 3 point line extended one way the other two the opposite. Refs move less and that 2nd set of eyes up top takes away so many missed calls.
    - Take replay away from the on-court refs and have it done in Secaucus and as quickly as possible communicate the result to the lead ref on-court.
    - Add coach challenges to calls, 2 per game, any situation, overturned or not it costs them a timeout.
    - Clean up the charge, block, travel, hand check, and screen rules so they are more simply officiated and so people are more likely to agree on the "right" call rather than have the debate like we do now.
    - Clean up the rules on what to do when an offensive player creates contact.
    - Have flops found in-game or post-game review called as technical fouls.

A more radical idea is to allow members of the public to sign up to be game reviewers and allow the fans to determine what is and isn't a good call and what is and isn't a flop or a technical and have those results in a big-data way adjust the way the game is actually called going forward rather than leaving it to the Competition Committee and the Commissioner.
    Baseball has some issues but its not consistently bad like basketball.

I agree with everything else you mentioned. I've listed much of those in other topics before. i honestly hope basketball steps up and improves. I wouldn't let fans determine anything though.
    For not honoring a sig bet I now own YEDB90

The refs stopped watching the Rockets game last night and it almost mattered. Harden was going nuts but they werenít getting stops. everyone started to feel like it was over despite the score and the refs missed Karl Towns walking across the floor with ball bc he didnít realize the ball was live

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Raps08-09 Champ View Post
    My dick is named 'Ewing'.

Also how tightly officiated is game two of the Cavs/Pacers going to be? The Pacers had the audacity to walk into Clevís house with swag for game 1. Would be surprised if the refs are not all over that one

Quote Originally Posted by ewing View Post
    The refs stopped watching the Rockets game last night and it almost mattered. Harden was going nuts but they werenít getting stops. everyone started to feel like it was over despite the score and the refs missed Karl Towns walking across the floor with ball bc he didnít realize the ball was live
    It's becoming a joke IMO.

Also how tightly officiated is game two of the Cavs/Pacers going to be? The Pacers had the audacity to walk into Clevís house with swag for game 1. Would be surprised if the refs are not all over that one
    Oh no doubt it's going to feature some quick whistles in that series now.

PROCESSING

Hopefully for that game the crew that did Warriors Spurs 1 works it.

Officiating

Quote Originally Posted by Scoots View Post
    Hopefully for that game the crew that did Warriors Spurs 1 works it.
    I donít think matters who does it. The facts are the Pacers won big on there home floor, Lance head butted the station, they talk a little trash, the Cavs will come out harder next time. I feel like who ever does the game will be instructed to call it ultra tight. It sucks but the league is so terrified of a fight that they scarifice competition

Last edited by ewing; 04-16-2018 at 12:43 PM.

Page 17 of 29 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast