Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 18 of 115 FirstFirst ... 816171819202868 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Sick Of It All View Post
    Even if smith does not have a big year, does not mean he canít be the future guy. He is still very young.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    He will probably get his shot later in the season if the A-Gone project fails or gets hurt, but if Smith can't impress fast enough at an offensive position, I can definitely see the Mets turning the page on him fairly quickly.

If the Mets turn the page on him fairly quick, then they are idiots.

But just as they have not turned the page on a guy like Nimmo, I donít see them turning the page on Smith unless he becomes fat again.

They won't simply give up on Smith, but if they are in contention this year and need to use Smith as trade bait to make a move for the playoffs, I can see that happening in a Michael Fulmer sort of way.
    Quote Originally Posted by El Patito View Post
    Wow, you just won't let this go will you? I'd be more than happy to provide the numbers again if you'd like. The fact is that Marmol in his best season, put up one of the greatest performances by a reliever in the history of baseball. Better than Rivera? Youre damn right. You can't deny this.
    Marmolololololol

Quote Originally Posted by Sick Of It All View Post
    If the Mets turn the page on him fairly quick, then they are idiots.

But just as they have not turned the page on a guy like Nimmo, I donít see them turning the page on Smith unless he becomes fat again.

They would only be idiots if he becomes successful elsewhere and 1st base becomes a hole.

And I didn't say just get rid of him, but maybe deal him and maybe get better somewhere else.

Quote Originally Posted by Claymation View Post
    I don't think Smith will ever be that type of power guy.

Alonso can be that type of power guy. This will be a telling season for him.
    He has the frame for power, 20 lbs heavier or not. The question is are the mechanics there to have 25-30 home run power consistently? He's not going to get a long leash because Alonso is coming soon and 1st base is a position where if you don't hit, you don't play. The thing is he could also be a late developer so either you play him, hope he develops this season, or if you're not in love with his ceiling, trade him while he still has value.

Dom will take his lumps in 2018.

Quote Originally Posted by Wrigheyes4MVP View Post
    Is he really that bad that he can't be a competent 1B?
    I heard some good things from the instructional camp this fall, but as the saying goes proof is in the pudding. Letís see him this spring.

"You don't know how to drink. Your whole generation, you drink for the wrong reasons. My generation, we drink because it's good, because it feels better than unbuttoning your collar, because we deserve it. We drink because it's what men do."

Quote Originally Posted by YoungStuna View Post
    He will probably get his shot later in the season if the A-Gone project fails or gets hurt, but if Smith can't impress fast enough at an offensive position, I can definitely see the Mets turning the page on him fairly quickly.
    Dom has nothing to prove in AAA. He needs to be given the chance to win the job in spring.

Quote Originally Posted by JoeGamer81 View Post
    Dom has nothing to prove in AAA. He needs to be given the chance to win the job in spring.
    That's another reason why I don't love A-Gon on this team. I understand his value in being a veteran presence who may light a flame under Dom's *** (or himself have something left in the tank) but I really wanted to see what Dom does on the major league level from opening day.

Quote Originally Posted by JoeGamer81 View Post
    How long did the Phillies make Ryan Howard wait and brought in Jim Thome to play 1b. I'm sure there are many more examples.

Bottom line is the Mets are in win now mode, not rebuilding. Dom did nothing to cement his position for 2018. So the Mets have brought in a veteran and Flores as their 1b platoon. Dom will start the season in AAA unless he really impresses in spring training.

He does have something to prove. Consistency at 1b with the glove and consistency with the bat, including improving upon his power in a power hitting league. That might be the easiest for Dom to accomplish. He also must keep the weight down (20 pounds overweight is too much).

He will be given opportunity in Spring Training but I he needs to turn heads. If he wants it and can prove it, he gets the job.

Looks like the Mets top prospects lists will all be out in the next week or two.

Sickels is working on the Mets now, should be done in a day or two.
    I hope to have the rankings done tomorrow. Right now it is taking me about three days to do a team. Iíd like to get that down to two, but weíll see.

Here is the grade breakdown as it currently stands:

Grade A: Zero
    Grade A-: Zero
    Grade B+: Zero
    Grade B: One (could be a B+)
    Grade B-: Seven (one or two could be a straight B)
    Grade C+: 29
    Grade C: A bunch
    MLB (Callis and Mayo) are scheduled to release their Mets list here next Tuesday (2/20).

And the BA prospect handbook should be coming out soon as well. The Amazon page says it will be released on 2/27. So their Mets top 30 should leak soon after (top 10 was done 3 months ago).
    Last edited by acerimusdux; 02-14-2018 at 07:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Claymation View Post
    I heard some good things from the instructional camp this fall, but as the saying goes proof is in the pudding. Letís see him this spring.
    Therefore the proof is somewhere in Dom's bowels.

Quote Originally Posted by acerimusdux View Post
    Looks like the Mets top prospects lists will all be out in the next week or two.

Sickels is working on the Mets now, should be done in a day or two.

MLB (Callis and Mayo) are scheduled to release their Mets list here next Tuesday (2/20).

And the BA prospect handbook should be coming out soon as well. The Amazon page says it will be released on 2/27. So their Mets top 30 should leak soon after (top 10 was done 3 months ago).
    Not very encouraging.

Quote Originally Posted by metswon69 View Post
    That's another reason why I don't love A-Gon on this team. I understand his value in being a veteran presence who may light a flame under Dom's *** (or himself have something left in the tank) but I really wanted to see what Dom does on the major league level from opening day.
    As a team trying to contend, we need capable major league players. Dom's lack of production at 1B is unacceptable for a team trying to win. Maybe A-Gon sucks too, but he has a track record and a decent shot if healthy to at least be respectable against RHP. Bottom line is unless A-Gon is absolutely raking, he won't block Smith from a promotion at any point IMO. I think if Smith looks like the far superior player in in ST, Smith will get the job. But he has to look far superior and has to inspire confidence in the FO to make that decision. They don't want to go with Smith only to have to demote him again. The idea is that once he gets the job, he holds onto it for the long haul.

I agree with the approach. Going with A-Gon instead of another lefty 1B with a more recent record of success is the only question I have about it. But at least with A-Gon there is absolutely zero commitment which actually could be better for Smith.
    Quote Originally Posted by El Patito View Post
    Wow, you just won't let this go will you? I'd be more than happy to provide the numbers again if you'd like. The fact is that Marmol in his best season, put up one of the greatest performances by a reliever in the history of baseball. Better than Rivera? Youre damn right. You can't deny this.
    Marmolololololol

Quote Originally Posted by Wrigheyes4MVP View Post
    As a team trying to contend, we need capable major league players. Dom's lack of production at 1B is unacceptable for a team trying to win. Maybe A-Gon sucks too, but he has a track record and a decent shot if healthy to at least be respectable against RHP. Bottom line is unless A-Gon is absolutely raking, he won't block Smith from a promotion at any point IMO. I think if Smith looks like the far superior player in in ST, Smith will get the job. But he has to look far superior and has to inspire confidence in the FO to make that decision. They don't want to go with Smith only to have to demote him again. The idea is that once he gets the job, he holds onto it for the long haul.

I agree with the approach. Going with A-Gon instead of another lefty 1B with a more recent record of success is the only question I have about it. But at least with A-Gon there is absolutely zero commitment which actually could be better for Smith.
    Then they should have looked for a higher ceiling 1st baseman imo. I would much rather have Duda on a 1 year deal than A-Gon. Even if A-Gon duplicates his 2016 numbers, that's a 1st baseman on a second division squad, not a playoff team with this roster construction.

Give Smith the ABs, see what he is, because you have to figure if he's the long term answer there or not. A-Gon at best is a one year band aid and doesn't solve much with his ceiling.

Page 18 of 115 FirstFirst ... 816171819202868 ... LastLast