Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 17 of 115 FirstFirst ... 715161718192767 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by metswon69 View Post
    I think there is optimism that he could be a .310/.380/.500 guy with close to 30 bombs at his apex. It's not eye popping but if you can get consistent numbers out of him close to that and he's still cost controlled, he becomes an asset.

Hard to know what his ceiling is though. He may outplay what a lot of people have him pegged as. Only time will tell. That said, I'll take a 3 WAR 1st baseman any day of the week.
    I don't think Smith will ever be that type of power guy.

Alonso can be that type of power guy. This will be a telling season for him.

"You don't know how to drink. Your whole generation, you drink for the wrong reasons. My generation, we drink because it's good, because it feels better than unbuttoning your collar, because we deserve it. We drink because it's what men do."

Quote Originally Posted by Claymation View Post
    I don't think Smith will ever be that type of power guy.

Alonso can be that type of power guy. This will be a telling season for him.
    Hard to (g)love Alonso at 1B.

Quote Originally Posted by Sick Of It All View Post
    I think heís production could be Freddie Freeman before his last 2 years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    He'd have to really develop his plate discipline to get into the double-digit BB% realm. Freeman's eye developed a bit as his pro career went on, so I suppose Dom's could as well.
    "We're snakebitten, baby." --Fred Wilpon

I always found the Smith pick a little odd to be honest. Especially considering how Sandy seems to love up the middle talent. Even coming out his power was in question, and for a guy slated for 1B, that's not a great sign.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Piazza View Post
    But I have to say that my time with the Mets wouldn't have been the same without the greatest fans in the world. One of the hardest moments of my career, was walking off the field at Shea Stadium and saying goodbye. My relationship with you made my time in New York the happiest of my career and for that, I will always be grateful.

Quote Originally Posted by 5+7=DYNASTY!!! View Post
    I always found the Smith pick a little odd to be honest. Especially considering how Sandy seems to love up the middle talent. Even coming out his power was in question, and for a guy slated for 1B, that's not a great sign.
    I remember when that pick was made, I posted an article before the draft about how there was a lack of first base prospects all around baseball and how it might lead to a FO to value a kid like Smith more and draft him higher than normally he would be drafted.

I figured Sandy might do just that and he did, but also he was considered to have a great hit took, the power is something that comes later on and it would be reasonably to believe that he could eventually hit 20-30 homers consistently.

So the idea of possibly having a first baseman that can hit close to .300 and hit that many homers is something a GM would love specially considering that his defense was considered plus even then.

It's just pretty funny that Smith's peak is essentially 2014-2015 Lucas Duda. I used to think this honor unquestionably went to Beltran, but Duda may be the most under-appreciated Met I've seen.

Quote Originally Posted by SJ5382 View Post
    It's just pretty funny that Smith's peak is essentially 2014-2015 Lucas Duda. I used to think this honor unquestionably went to Beltran, but Duda may be the most under-appreciated Met I've seen.
    Duda's peak was good. His problem is it didn't last long and he had those back problems. Also he was a clear platoon guy. I'm hoping Smith proves to be a bit more respectable against lefties.

Duda at his peak could absolutely mash righties though. He probably still can.
    Quote Originally Posted by El Patito View Post
    Wow, you just won't let this go will you? I'd be more than happy to provide the numbers again if you'd like. The fact is that Marmol in his best season, put up one of the greatest performances by a reliever in the history of baseball. Better than Rivera? Youre damn right. You can't deny this.
    Marmolololololol

Quote Originally Posted by Wrigheyes4MVP View Post
    Duda's peak was good. His problem is it didn't last long and he had those back problems. Also he was a clear platoon guy. I'm hoping Smith proves to be a bit more respectable against lefties.

Duda at his peak could absolutely mash righties though. He probably still can.
    Just looked this up, didn't realize the splits were so drastic:

2014:
    125 PA's vs LHP, 53 wRC+
    471 PA's vs RHP, 157 wRC+

2015:
    132 PA's vs LHP, 144 wRC+
    422 PA's vs RHP, 129 wRC+

Had no idea he was that horrible in '14 and that good in '15.

I remember when that pick was made, I posted an article before the draft about how there was a lack of first base prospects all around baseball and how it might lead to a FO to value a kid like Smith more and draft him higher than normally he would be drafted.

I figured Sandy might do just that and he did, but also he was considered to have a great hit took, the power is something that comes later on and it would be reasonably to believe that he could eventually hit 20-30 homers consistently.

So the idea of possibly having a first baseman that can hit close to .300 and hit that many homers is something a GM would love specially considering that his defense was considered plus even then.

I can't say it was a bad pick. Most picks end up being busts to be honest. The fact that Smith is on our radar still to be an average to above average starting 1B means he was a solid pick. Not everyone turns out to be a superstar. If you can get a solid to above average everyday starter with your first round pick, you gotta be happy with that and by all accounts I think Smith is still on track for that. Guys like Smith and even Nimmo aren't necessarily bad picks. Jury is still out on them.

Cecchini on the other hand... probably a bust. Dunn isn't looking too hot either at this point.
    Wow, you just won't let this go will you? I'd be more than happy to provide the numbers again if you'd like. The fact is that Marmol in his best season, put up one of the greatest performances by a reliever in the history of baseball. Better than Rivera? Youre damn right. You can't deny this.
    Marmolololololol

Quote Originally Posted by SJ5382 View Post
    Just looked this up, didn't realize the splits were so drastic:

2014:
    125 PA's vs LHP, 53 wRC+
    471 PA's vs RHP, 157 wRC+

2015:
    132 PA's vs LHP, 144 wRC+
    422 PA's vs RHP, 129 wRC+

Had no idea he was that horrible in '14 and that good in '15.
    2015 was a clear fluke against LHP.
    Marmolololololol

Quote Originally Posted by Dugmet View Post
    Hard to (g)love Alonso at 1B.
    Is he really that bad that he can't be a competent 1B?
    Marmolololololol

Quote Originally Posted by Wrigheyes4MVP View Post
    Is he really that bad that he can't be a competent 1B?
    Yes

But can he get better?

Yes

But can he get better?

Time will tell.

I'm also an Alonso guy like Clay is, but this will be a big season for him and Dom.

It should provide insight into who is more likely to be the 1B of the future. Or they'll have to look elsewhere.

Even if smith does not have a big year, does not mean he canít be the future guy. He is still very young.

Quote Originally Posted by YoungStuna View Post
    He will probably get his shot later in the season if the A-Gone project fails or gets hurt, but if Smith can't impress fast enough at an offensive position, I can definitely see the Mets turning the page on him fairly quickly.
    Small market teams can't really afford to give up on young, cheap assets with upside. God knows we won't try trading him for someone that makes real money.

Page 17 of 115 FirstFirst ... 715161718192767 ... LastLast