Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 129 of 129 FirstFirst ... 2979119127128129
Results 1,921 to 1,934 of 1934
    BA on Mcneil in PCL

Jeff McNeil

Injuries sidetracked McNeil in 2016 and 2017, but he returned in 2018 and hit for average like he always has while unlocking newfound power. McNeil hit .327 at Double-A, did even better at Triple-A with a .368 average, and has remained over .330 in the majors since taking over as the Metsí starting second baseman in late July.

Though he was old for the minors, McNeilís showed evaluators all the hitting traits to have sustained success in the big leagues. He stayed within the strike zone, used the whole field, recognized pitches, hit mistakes hard and put a charge into the ball gap-to-gap. He drew particular praise for his bat control and ability to keep the barrel in the zone for a long time.

Full health and a buy-in to launch angle helped McNeil boost his power numbers to career highs, although observers still see him primarily as a contact hitter long-term. McNeil improved defensively at second base and makes athletic catches in the air, but he still needs work on subtler things like his hands and footwork. He may ultimately bounce between second and third as a semi-regular, but he has enough bat to play every day.

He is posting an fWAR of 2.4 playing everyday.

"You don't know how to drink. Your whole generation, you drink for the wrong reasons. My generation, we drink because it's good, because it feels better than unbuttoning your collar, because we deserve it. We drink because it's what men do."

"You don't know how to drink. Your whole generation, you drink for the wrong reasons. My generation, we drink because it's good, because it feels better than unbuttoning your collar, because we deserve it. We drink because it's what men do."

Quote Originally Posted by Claymation View Post
    Top ten this winter? No surprise. There was a lot of potential capable of rebounding, plus some emerging prospects. Kelenic and Mauricio plus a bunch at Kingsport gave it a big bump. Maybe The Prophecy will be a reality.

The Greatest.

Person: You have Alonso as a 50 FV. He seems to me to be very boom or bust. What do you think his ceiling is?

1:22
    Kiley McDaniel:
    Disagree, seems likely to be solid, in the 45 to 60 FV area, without a ton of other possibilities and his age/frame makes me think he peaks early.

TOP Eastern League Prospects - Baseball America

Cannot remember the last time the Mets had 4. Probably never.

8. Peter Alonso
    Binghamton (Mets) 1B

Age: 23. B-T: R-R. Ht: 6-3. Wt: 245. Drafted: Florida, 2016 (2).

Even as the second-most famous Florida alum on the Binghamton roster, which he shared with Tim Tebow, Alonso spent the summer cementing his reputation as one of the gameís premier power brokers. His 36 home runs were tied with Reds prospect Ibandel Isabel for the most in the minors.

Alonsoís approach was hailed by opposing managers as highly advanced, and one noted that it seemed like Alonso would almost bait pitchers into throwing first-pitch cookies later in the game by showing passivity early in counts early in games. His raw power grades as plus-plus, and he clearly had no problem getting to plus power production under the lights. Defensively, Alonso is still a work in progress.

The Mets acknowledge Alonso wonít ever be mistaken for Keith Hernandez and will have to put in work just to be adequate. Still, power will always be his calling card and should be the tool that puts him in the majors early next season.
    10. Andres Gimenez
    Binghamton (Mets) SS

Age: 20. B-T: L-R-. Ht: 5-11. Wt: 161. Signed: Venezuela, 2015.

After holding his own at low Class A Columbia in 2017, Gimenez exploded across two levels in 2018 and made an appearance in the Futures Game as well.

Despite his smaller stature, Gimenez has proved he can impact the baseball at the plate and can stick at shortstop as well. Opposing managers pointed to the impressive torque Gimenez generates with his hips as a reason to believe more thump would come from his bat as he gets older, which is impressive considering he began the season as the third-youngest player in the high Class A Florida State League.

In the field, scouts see an above-average defender now with a chance to be even better as he matures gets more reps. Gimenezís arm is above-average and also should get stronger.
    12. Justin Dunn
    Binghamton (Mets) RHP

Age: 22. B-T: R-R. Ht: 6-2. Wt: 185. Drafted: Boston College, 2016 (1st round)

After a subpar season in the Florida State League, 2018 was Dunnís coming-out party. The righthander, who converted from reliever to starter during his senior season at Boston College, dominated in a short return to St. Lucie before earning a bump to the EL. There, he showed evaluators much-improved stuff to match the statistical uptick.

His fastball, which sat in the 93-95 range, featured plenty of life and he showed an ability to throw the pitch for strikes early in the count. He backed it up with mid-80s changeup that he kept low in the zone as well as a slider with improved consistency to its break. He needs to continue refining the pitch, however, to avoid it getting flat and hittable. With further development, he has the upside of a mid-rotation starter.
    20. Jeff McNeil
    Binghamton (Mets) 2B

Age: 26. B-T: L-R. Ht: 6-1. Wt: 195. Drafted: Long Beach State, 2013 (12th round)

After two years marred by injuries, including a pair of sports hernias, surgery to repair a hip labrum and various groin strains, McNeil came out this year and mashed his way to the major leagues. He dominated the Eastern League so thoroughly that his slugging percentage actually dropped (from .626 to .600) when he was promoted to the hitterís paradise that is Las Vegas. Heís continued his tear in the majors, and has played as the Metsí everyday second baseman since his callup. The contributing factors to his success involve his ability to make a ton of a contact without racking up big strikeout numbers, and a revamped approach that involved more attention to launch angle to mitigate his lack of pure raw power. Heís bounced around the diamond defensively, and has the chops to handle either second or third base at a passable level. Scouts are split on his overall future, but heís hit well enough this year to have a shot at an everyday role for New York in 2019.
    The Prophecy is real!

The Greatest.

@kileymcd
    Mets international scouting director Chris Becerra will be joining the Red Sox. Mets have signed some top international prospects the last few years.

Omar Minaya will be taking on more active role.

2018 NY Mets Minor League and Prospect Thread

This is a big loss, my guess he wanted job security instead of waiting to see who the next GM might be.

Itís Bill Belichek all over again.

**** Boston!

This is a big loss, my guess he wanted job security instead of waiting to see who the next GM might be.

Itís Bill Belichek all over again.

**** Boston!
    Have their international signings been so good under Beccera that he was irreplaceable?

Rosario, Santana, Gimenez, Mauricio, Hernandez, Consegura, Valdez and Alvarez off the top of my head.

How long has he been with us?

Kiley McDaniel@kileymcd

Some Intíl news: Frankie Thon left the Angels to become the new Mariners intíl scouting director. Mets intíl director Chris Becerra is set to leave for the Red Sox, though not official yet. Becerra is widely seen as one of the best directors in the game, tough loss for the Mets.

Quote Originally Posted by fanofclendennon View Post
    How long has he been with us?
    He was promoted to International Scouting Director in 2011, he was an area scout for a year before that.

My biggest concern is that he might take some of the scouts away.

He was promoted to International Scouting Director in 2011, he was an area scout for a year before that.

My biggest concern is that he might take some of the scouts away.
    Even more of a reason to choose a GM that talented folks want to work under. This would only happen if it's a GM people know virtually has full control.

Quote Originally Posted by MeltedMetMind View Post
    Even more of a reason to choose a GM that talented folks want to work under. This would only happen if it's a GM people know virtually has full control.
    Neat name. I will call you, 3M.

The Greatest.