Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 5 of 66 FirstFirst ... 345671555 ... LastLast
    Landry is kinda weird. Iíve seen him all over the board in mocks. Iíve seen him in like the mid 2 and towards the top of the first.

Right now I'm thinking Jackson from Iowa fits in nicely with this team. I'd prefer to grab a pass rusher first, but unless we trade down I don't the 14th pick being a good spot to grab one. You never know how things might change in the coming months though.

Tight End is the only real need I think we have on offense. I'm in the boat that says we need to stack the defense and give Rodgers whatever is left over. Maybe not popular opinion but defense wins championships and we're not winning anything with a bottom 20 D.

I think 14 is a fine spot for pass rusher. I really like Ferrell from Clemson and Iím interested to see how he runs. If heís a good athlete, he should go. Showed up pretty well in big games, reports seem to indicate heís a good kid and he has some scheme versatility. Sort of reminds me of Derek Barnett last year. May not end up being a premium athlete, but he gets to the qb and has a good motor. But weíll see, Ferrell may test really well too.

Well I guess my point is that if they test well they'll move up higher than #14. Like I said, things can change, but I don't normally consider mid first round to be a great spot for pass rushers, the elite players will go top 10 and then there tends to be a major dropoff in talent until the 2nd round (that or you take a player with elite potential with injury or off the field issues).

I like Josh Jackson too. However, if you believe King will mold into something special and believe Randall will rebound strong, I think it might be best to go out and secure the corner position with a veteran.

Going after a young gifted pass rusher is probably best. We need athleticism here. Smith will likely be gone, but the wealth of quarterbacks to be taken early leaves room for Ferrell and Key.

Quote Originally Posted by hallzi43 View Post
    I like Josh Jackson too. However, if you believe King will mold into something special and believe Randall will rebound strong, I think it might be best to go out and secure the corner position with a veteran.

Going after a young gifted pass rusher is probably best. We need athleticism here. Smith will likely be gone, but the wealth of quarterbacks to be taken early leaves room for Ferrell and Key.
    Just go BPA. Enough with need. Needs can be signed in FA - gasp! I think this should be an aggressive year. Take Jackson and trade back into R1 for a rush end. Or there are a number of options. I wonder where Kirk from A&M goes. I think he could be a BEAST with AR. Then trade back into R1 and get a defensive player that you might like that won't make it to second round pick. Take a Kirk or Jackson or Smith from Georgia. Then get back in and take a pass-rusher like Landry or Ferrell. Would be awesome if Smith was available at 14 and then get Landry. Suddenly LB corps has some players with Martinez if 3-4 is route still Smith and Martinez at ILB in 3-4 would be nice.

Jumping from 46 to sub 32 would take quite a bit. I don't see that happening by any stretch of the imagination. They likely will go after the best player available. I would just be pretty unimpressed if that happened to be a TE, WR, or SS at 14.

IF you go strictly by the draft trade value chart, which most teams donít, our 2nd and 3rd rounder would get us to about 29. The chart doesnít include comp picks, since it predates being able to trade comp picks, but if you assign our potential 3rd round comp pick similar value to the 1st pick of round 4, then it gets us to about pick 24. That being said, itís unwise to make that big of move in my mind, and teams likely have higher values on the late firsts, so we may not even get as high as the trade value chart indicates.

Itís a sticky deal, since this will be multiple transactions, but at the end of the day, the Seahawks made multiple moves to move back from 26 to 35 last year. They got a 2nd (35), 3rd, 6th and 7th for 26. If you want to get a little hairier even, Chicago trades the next pick, which was pick 36, to move back to 45th, and they also got a 4th, 6th and future 4th.

I know itís super messy, but essentially the cost difference in multiple trades to move from pick 45 to pick 26 would have been an additional 3rd, 2 4ths, 2 6ths, 1 7th and a future 4th. Because they were multiple trades, itís tough to say thatís the legit value, but that looks like itís fairly easy to say move from 46 into the late 20s is going to cost us probably both of our 3rds in addition to our 2nd.

Draft picks, especially early ones are gold these days. If you wanna move 20 spots early in the draft, itís going to be expensive. We have a bunch of comp picks, which could help offset it some, but itís still gonna be tough. I subscribe to the more bullets in the gun the better chance you have of hitting the target theory. I get not every bullet in this case is equal, but if Gutekunst is as good of evaluator as they say he is, Iíd imagine weíd have more value taking 3 shots with our 2nd and 2 3rds than with a pick around 26 unless we are absolutely in love with the guy at 26 and think heís more like pick 15 value.

That is a lot of early value picks for a late first round talent that seems kind of risky. I think especially at this time that those 3rd rounders are going to be big for oline and TE depth.

Quote Originally Posted by gopackgo87 View Post
    Just go BPA. Enough with need. Needs can be signed in FA - gasp! I think this should be an aggressive year. Take Jackson and trade back into R1 for a rush end. Or there are a number of options. I wonder where Kirk from A&M goes. I think he could be a BEAST with AR. Then trade back into R1 and get a defensive player that you might like that won't make it to second round pick. Take a Kirk or Jackson or Smith from Georgia. Then get back in and take a pass-rusher like Landry or Ferrell. Would be awesome if Smith was available at 14 and then get Landry. Suddenly LB corps has some players with Martinez if 3-4 is route still Smith and Martinez at ILB in 3-4 would be nice.
    Not really for pass rusher at the moment in FA. Iím assuming Lawrence and ansah donít make it to free agency. And if they do, they are probably getting ridiculous deals. Outside of them, the market isnít that great for pass rusher, whether thatís 3-4 olb or 4-3 end.

I would tend to agree bpa is smart to an extent. Iím not a scout, so I have no real idea how they grade guys. But if I did, I have to imagine Iíd put an importance and need multiplier on positions. And pass rusher is super important in todayís league and itís a need for us. So Iím not saying we have to grab a pass rusher, but if at pick 14 our 10th best player is on the board, but our best pass rusher is like the 16th best player in the draft and heís on the board, Iím okay ďreachingĒ for the pass rusher because thatís a need thatís going to be difficult to fill short term (unless a bunch of guys get cut as cap casualties).

And we arenít yet in a position like Denver was with Peyton where everything we do is to maximize the short term. If what Rodgers says is correct, he could play for another 5-7 years. So we canít sacrifice everything for the short term, but short term needs to be on the mind more than it was in the past since that window is on its way down, not up at this point.
    Last edited by crewfan13; 01-08-2018 at 02:30 PM.

Latest mock I looked at has us taking TE Mark Andrews. If we went TE I'd be happy with that. I think its the most important position on offense outside of QB and we never seem to have an elite one. It would be nice to grab a TE that can help in both the run and pass game.

They only show one pass rusher going in the top 20 (Bradley Chubb). Again these mocks don't mean much, I think we all know that the premium positions tend to go early so I wouldn't be suprised if more pass rusher don't move up into the top ten.

Also kind of interesting but they show the Bears taking the top WR. Would the Bears really go after another top tier wide out? Seems like they've had nothing but disasters.

I have seen the Mark Andrews reports and I am just not sold. He's big but kinda slow. So he isn't a game changing TE like Greg Olsen or Vernon Davis coming out of college. At 14 that seems really high for him. Especially with how little we utilize the TE in comparison to most teams.

I assume by pash rusher you mean DE because everything I have seen has Smith in the top 20 and generally everyone has him at Bears or Raiders. If he doesn't go there, that is the only way I see him slipping to us.

Yeah no thanks on Andrews. Needs to be a big-time baller to go 14 for a TE. The basketball types Gates, Graham, etc. can be had in 3rd round and be matchup nightmares. Packers should draft a TE in say R3. This team needs to find a JerMichael Finley type. Rodgers at his best with a TE that can run seams and corners to take the top off the defense. Rodgers at his best with a good TE.

Smith is an Inside Linebacker, not a pass rusher. By pass rusher I'm looking at DE or OLB.

I guess on Andrews I'm not really sure why you consider his 40 time (approx 4.65) a red flag. That's right in line with several of the best tight ends in the league including Witten and Gronk. While that's definetely slower than Greg Olsen (4.54) I hardly consider Verson Davis to be a game changer. Top end speed isn't really something I look for in a TE, a good one needs to be big and strong, can win a jump ball, run block, and out muscle defensive backs. The speed guys tend to be lousy in the run game.

Page 5 of 66 FirstFirst ... 345671555 ... LastLast