Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 24 of 66 FirstFirst ... 14222324252634 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by crewfan13 View Post
    Reggie Gilbert earned a chance to be in that discussion and I wouldnít lock fackerall into a spot. Heís beem pretty awful his whole career and a new gm and new coaching staff likely arenít tied to him at all.
    Forgot about Gilbert. I think Fackrell is safe before Beigel. I thought he not only showed promise in the preseason last year but improved later in the season too. Either way, both would eat up dead cap for little gain this offseason so they are both likely going to play out this season as low end guys.

Itís basically impossible to say whoís safe and who isnít since itís a completely new staff basically. But fackerall has never impressed. I think he made like 1 play last year that was more than a cleanup in my mind. Plus heís an olser prospect whoís already 26. I would not at all be shocked if heís gone.

And youíre focusing on dead cap way too much. Fackerall would cost $300k Iím dead cap if heís cut. Thatís virtually nothing. His contract isnít going to play into it at all.

Itís basically impossible to say whoís safe and who isnít since itís a completely new staff basically. But fackerall has never impressed. I think he made like 1 play last year that was more than a cleanup in my mind. Plus heís an olser prospect whoís already 26. I would not at all be shocked if heís gone.

And youíre focusing on dead cap way too much. Fackerall would cost $300k Iím dead cap if heís cut. Thatís virtually nothing. His contract isnít going to play into it at all.
    He had a pretty good run against Baltimore replacing Matthews and made a few plays down the stretch as well.

I think he's garbage. IDK if he'll get cut for sure but if he's the same guy I want him replaced.

I'm starting to think Derwin James and Denzel ward are both off the board by the time 14 rolls around.

but, the combine really added to the value of Ward. a 4.32 40, we need speed on both sides of the ball and a 4.32 corner would definitely help out our secondary.

and what I was kind of worried about with Josh Jackson has happened. I am a Diehard Iowa fan but the last few years we have had guys who were "sure fire 1st round guys" but, ran a slow 40 at the combine and it hurt their stock. they don't have all the numbers up yet but, Jackson has put together a very similar combine as Micah Hyde, he ran an identical 40 at 4.56 and he put up 6 more reps on the bench than Micah at 18.

RIP Gene Wilder

Quote Originally Posted by PackerBum9786 View Post
    I'm starting to think Derwin James and Denzel ward are both off the board by the time 14 rolls around.

but, the combine really added to the value of Ward. a 4.32 40, we need speed on both sides of the ball and a 4.32 corner would definitely help out our secondary.

and what I was kind of worried about with Josh Jackson has happened. I am a Diehard Iowa fan but the last few years we have had guys who were "sure fire 1st round guys" but, ran a slow 40 at the combine and it hurt their stock. they don't have all the numbers up yet but, Jackson has put together a very similar combine as Micah Hyde, he ran an identical 40 at 4.56 and he put up 6 more reps on the bench than Micah at 18.
    A bigger Hyde, count me in lol. But I get the concern. Although he kinda reminds me of sherman with his speed. We already have a fast corner to match up though with king. Do all our guys have to be sub 4.4

One thing I will say is that we all get caught up in the combine reported official time probably too much. Iím guilty as well, but even the combine time is hand started. They try to adjust for that, but the ďofficialĒ time reported at the combine still isnít as cut and dry as people think.

Many teams, and I think the packers are one of them, still use their own hand times methods. The reason I believe the packers are one of those is because when haha was drafted, packers folks were asked about his slower than expected 40 time. And they answered in multiple press conferences that the reported time was not the same as the time they measured.

So that is one thing to remember. I will still use official combine 40 times because there isnít a better method. But I think itís fair to take those with a grain of salt and think some guys times might be off slightly.

But back to Jackson, itís not even just the 40 time. The whole athletic package is sort of lacking a little. Heís a good athlete but didnít excel in much outside of the 20 yards shuttle. Heís not small, but heís not huge either. His arms are on the shorter size and so is his wingspan. For reference, ward measured in a about an inch and a half shorter than Jackson, but had the same wingspan. And Jackson is a good leaper (Broad and vertical) but not elite.

So if you compare him to the other slower 40 cbs in football, you still miss some of the rest of the profile. The one guy he compares favorably to athletically is Marcus peters. But if you compare him to an early pick like Ramsey, who was a little slower than expected in the 40, he doesnít have the same length or leaping ability. Or if you compare him to a Richard Sherman, he doesnít quite have the height or length of Sherman either.

At the end of the day, Jackson can still definitely be a good player. But there probably should be some concern about his ceiling due to athleticism and physicality. Thereís more to football than that, but when you drafting early in the first, itís heís to take a guy whoís margin for error is smaller than others available.

Ya, I don't really like Jackson at 14 either anymore. Although I think I have talked myself out of a corner all together in round 1. If Derwin James fell into our lap that would be an interesting pick to shore up our SS position. Also sounds like he can play corner as well in the case that we like what Josh Jones brings to the table. But I would really just like to focus on LB at that first pick. So many good athletes in this draft and we are full of not very good ones on our roster. Landry and Vander Esch will likely be there when we pick. Get one of those guys in the building.

I havenít watched a ton of tape, but vander esch scares me a little. Iím always a bit leery of the high risers in the draft process. Maybe it was the media being late on him, but many say his tape doesnít match the measurables. So he does scare me a little. He would seem like a prime candidate to take at pick 20 or so if we were to work out a trade down with buffalo. Not sure i love him at 14 though.

I havenít watched a ton of tape, but vander esch scares me a little. Iím always a bit leery of the high risers in the draft process. Maybe it was the media being late on him, but many say his tape doesnít match the measurables. So he does scare me a little. He would seem like a prime candidate to take at pick 20 or so if we were to work out a trade down with buffalo. Not sure i love him at 14 though.
    Outside of only one year of starting experience im not sure what scares ya. He is an absolute tackle machine and all the measurables add up. The guy is going to be a beast.

Quote Originally Posted by hallzi43 View Post
    Chark could be the first wr taken in the draft.
    If we draft Chark in the 1st I would immediately hate Gutenkunst. Combine WR's with bad numbers are notoriously busts. I would be ok with him in the 2nd but Chark over Ridley, Sutton, Kirk, and Washington is way to reactionary for me. I like Vander Esche as well but not at 14.

I think my current favorite sleeper is Godwin Igwebuike from Northwestern. I was impressed with him each time he played Wisconsin and he showed elite athleticism. I'm not sure where he ends up on peoples big boards but I would think he might be late 2-3 when all is said and done. He was like a 4-5 before the combine.

Here is my post combine mock, I will say without free agent predictions but with trades.
    1) Edge Marcus Davenport I'm not sure he lasts to 14 but he could be a couple pass rush moves away from being a pro bowl caliber player.
    2) TE Mark Andrews I would have said he would be gone but with Gesicki and possibly Goedert and Hurst going before him he might be there. (I would be fine with Goedert, Gisecki, or Hurst if he is gone).
    3) S Godwin Igwebulke Like I said I like him a lot, I'm not sure if he can play a little corner but he is athletic enough.
    Trade (Trade both 4th's for a mid round 3rd)- CB Quinton Meeks There are a lot of nice corners in the draft and some talent will likely fall into the 3rd, we use some of our picks to scoop up a nice prospect which could be one of half a dozens guys ranked higher than Meeks, anyway we need a UCLA, Cal, or Stanford guy.
    5)WR Jester Weah If we cut Cobb or Nelson I might put a WR in the 2nd. Weah has nice size and speed and is from Madison.
    5(comp)- T Ike Botteger He adds depth and Iowa lineman are usually successful in the NFL.
    5(comp)-QB Kurt Benkurt Hundley is not the answer, ultimately I think we add a veteran but Benkurt looked really good the 2 games I saw Virginia
    6) DL Jay-Tee Tiuli A big body for depth, I don't really know anything about him other than he has a cool name.
    6 (comp)- RB Lavon Coleman Someone to compete with Mays for the 3rd RB spot
    7) TE Ethan Wolff Again depth someone who could take Kendricks roster spot.
    Last edited by jay87shot; 03-06-2018 at 04:43 PM.

I keep looking at Davenports tape and i just dont see a whole lot to be impressed by. All his highlights are overpowering much lesser talented players and even still its not overly impressive. He ran a decent 40 but if you watch him in games you can clearly see that he lacks quickness around the edge. Seems to ultimately only be useful as a pass rusher as well. Give me Landry or Vander Esch over that guy any day.

Quote Originally Posted by PackerBum9786 View Post

here are the numbers from the NFL.co website I will put hyde and jackson side by side, I will even add Marcus Peters and Richard Sherman side by side since their names were brought up as possible combine comparisons

Hyde
    40 Ė 4.56
    20 shuttle Ė 4.20
    Bench Ė 12
    Vert Ė 33
    Broad Ė 121
    3 cone - 6.78

Jackson
    40 Ė 4.56
    20 shuttle Ė 4.03
    Bench Ė 18
    Vert Ė 38
    Broad Ė 123
    3 cone - 6.86

Peters
    40 Ė 4.53
    20 shuttle Ė 4.08
    Bench Ė 17
    Vert Ė 37.5
    Broad Ė 121
    3 cone - 7.08

Sherman
    40 Ė 4.56
    20 shuttle Ė 4.33
    Bench Ė 16
    Vert Ė 38
    Broad Ė 125
    3 cone - 6.82
    Last edited by PackerBum9786; 03-06-2018 at 07:05 PM. Reason: my original table didn't work out when I posted it

RIP Gene Wilder

Quote Originally Posted by hallzi43 View Post
    I keep looking at Davenports tape and i just dont see a whole lot to be impressed by. All his highlights are overpowering much lesser talented players and even still its not overly impressive. He ran a decent 40 but if you watch him in games you can clearly see that he lacks quickness around the edge. Seems to ultimately only be useful as a pass rusher as well. Give me Landry or Vander Esch over that guy any day.
    I like Landry over Davenport too, if we decide to go pass rusher at 14.

Just think Landry may be able to offer more as a rotational pass rusher in year 1 compared to Davenport. I like his bend and theres a good chance he is ready for a role like that.

Davenport may one day become the more complete player, but we need a guy who can get to the QB and we need him now. Yes you gotta draft for more than just 1 season but there isn't a crazy amount of evidence that says Davenport will blow Landry away long term either.

I think Landry is falling and Davenport is rising. Davenport reminds me off Ziggy Ansah or Leonard Floyd, they were very raw but all the physicals were there. Each was also productive as a rookie.

Page 24 of 66 FirstFirst ... 14222324252634 ... LastLast