Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Your 2018 Detroit Tigers

Looking at the 2018 season, we need to just go all in to the rebuild. Fans all know itís coming so why not just dive in and take ownership. Hereís how I would do it if I were Al Avila:

1. Manager- I have posted many times my preferred manager is Dave Martinez the bench coach for the Cubs but Iím not sure he would want to start out with a total rebuilding team. He has already turned down some unfavorable manager positions so there is no reason to think heíd sign up for this one. Instead, I see Fredi Gonzalez as the man. Iím not a huge fan but what heíd bring is manager experience, a winning MLB manager record, and the ability to get a solid coaching staff with his connections. Iím alright with Fredi as our manager.

2. Trade Chips- So again, I want to get some veterans moved to bring in more prospects. Unfortunately, I donít think any of the following will bring back a big return but their value (relatively speaking) is higher right now than other times in their career.
    a. Ian Kinsler- Iím still pissed at him for throwing up a road block for trades this season but he had a decent ending to the season so some team will be interested in this gamer vet.
    b. Shane Greene- showed the ability to close if needed and also he could be a pretty good set up man. Better performance this year than in years past for us.
    c. Jose Inglesias- Some team is going to need an above average SS to help out their defense and he does have a history of his bat doing well also.
    d. McCann- Perfect example of selling while the value is high. Very good defensive catcher who showed power and decent batting average this year. I love the guy but we have some young guys coming up soon so take advantage of high trade value.
    e. Alex Wilson- too hot and cold for me but heís a bulldog in the pen that a lot of teams like on their roster. Wonít get much but salary relief.
    f. Rondon- Time for him to go. Some team out there has to think they can harness his powerful fastball. I think you will be surprised by return.

3. Buyout/Release- We need to cut bait with both Sanchez and Martinez. Even if we let Martinez come back, would we really get anything for him in value? All heíll do is take time from young players.

4. Starting pitching- Well, we have Zimmermann back due to his contract. My hope here is that he will turn the corner and pitch the way he did in Washington so at the deadline we may be able to move him. Behind him you have young guys Fulmer, Norris, and Boyd. These three are key to the rebuild. We need them to hold the fort until we get the next wave up and ready. The fifth spot could go to down to a competition of Farmer, Lewicki, Saupold, and Jaye but I would rather sign Jhoulys Chacin to consume innings (180+ last year) there. I think we could get him on a 2 year $10M deal and then look to move him at the trade deadline if one of our young guys is ready.

5. Relief pitching- We always seem to have some really nice arms that just canít produce in the MLB. I am really hopeful Gonzalez can get a very good pitching coach in here to remedy this issue. In the meantime Iím going with the same theory I did with the starters. Iím signing Joe Smith (Steve Cishek is my fall back here) to be my designated closer until a young arm proves they can take over. Again, a 2 year $8M contract is what Iíd be looking at doing. Why is he a better option than Greene? Well, we get a prospect for Greene in a trade and he was scheduled for arbitration which would have put him right about where Smith would cost us. The rest of the pen would go to the young guys: Jiminez (R), Farmer (R), VerHegan (R), Stumpf (L), Labourt (L), and the last spot going to one of these guys: Saupold, Ferrell, or Bell. Itís really time for Farmer and VerHagen to step up and earn a full time roster spot. Both have the talent and hopefully a new PC will help them in advancing their careers.

6. Starting Lineup in the field- Start with Cabrerra (R) at 1B, Lugo (R) 2B, Machado (R) SS, Candelario (S) 3B, Castellanos (R) RF, Mahtook (R) CF, Gerber (L) LF, Holaday (R) C. I leave the DH spot open for Cabrerra and the bench players, giving us much more flexibility than we have had in years. Lugo at 2B might be a stretch right now but I think he shows in spring training heís ready. Gerber I think was ready last year. Heís just a solid player in the field and at bat. He wonít be spectacular but he will be a steady dependable guy with the potential to be above average later in his career.

7. Bench- A good mix of RH and LH bats with players that can play all over is what I want on the bench so the manager can move around and use some strategy. Hereís my bench: Hicks (R) C/1B/DH, Kody Eaves (L) 2B/3B/SS, Jacoby Jones (R) OF, Alex Pressley (L) OF, and my personal favorite bench guy Harold Castro (L) 2B, SS, 3B, OF

8. 2018 Detroit Tigers Roster:

Fulmer
    Zimmermann
    Chacin
    Norris
    Boyd

Smith
    Jiminez
    Stumpf
    Labourt
    Farmer
    VerHagen
    Saupold/Farrell/Bell

Cabrerra
    Holaday
    Lugo
    Machado
    Candelario
    Castellanos
    Mahtook
    Gerber

Hicks
    Eaves
    Jones
    Castro
    Pressley

So, I'm looking for ways for the Tigers to get some cheap prospects and one way I saw where there might be some good prospects is through the Yankees (I'll look at other teams later) on the rule 5 draft. I'm not 100$ up on my Rule 5 rules but I am assuming we would get the first pick. I am also assuming we can take more than one in the draft. The Yanks are in trouble trying to get young guys on their 40 man roster from what I have been reading so I'd like to see us trade some non-Rule 5 prospects to them for a prospect off their Rule 5 list or just grab one with the first pick. OR, better yet, tell them who we're going to grab and see if they would work out a trade for us not to take them. Either way, here's the list of prospects they have listed as possible Rule 5 prospects they might have to expose:

1. Jake Cave (24), OF- Left handed bat, above average defender at AAA. Has a .305 avg/.351 OB%, and hit 20 homers this year. With the log jam in the Yankees OF they may chose to put a pitcher on the 40 man over Cave.

2. Stephen Tarpley (24), LHP- Reliever who is 24 but only at AA this year. However, he was switched to a reliever this year from a starter and put up a 7-0 record, .88 ERA, and had 42K in 44 innings. Has a lot of potential and would be worth using out of the pen like Strumpf was this year.

3. Mike Ford (25), 1B/DH- LH bat. Hit .270 but had a huge .404 OB% that I love. He also hit for some power having 20 HR's at AAA. Would make a really nice prospect at 1B and DH. If we can teach him some outfield that would help too.

4. Thairo Estrada (21), 2B/SS- Really good speed and arm and gets on base. At AA this year he hit .301 with a .353 on base %. Showed a little power (8 HR) and some base stealing (11 SB). Really young but if we could use him in a utility role to keep him on our roster he might be a huge success later.

5. Billy McKinney (23), OF- Very similar to Cave but just average defensively. LH Bat. Limited to the corner spots. Hit .277 with a .338OB% and 16 HR. Good prospect.

6. Gosuke Katoh (23), 2B/SS/3B/OF- He was a second rounder that they paid over the slot for the same year they took Judge. He can play anywhere but SS is a bit rough and everywhere else is above average. He hasn't reached his potential as a prospect yet but at A+ this year he did hit (.293/.376/6 HR/11 SB). He's big 6'2" and is still growing. I think he's a year away from really doing well. Hide him as a utility guy and we may make out.

With Gerber, Stewart, Jones, and Mahtook the OF spots should be covered.

Ahoda, I'm not sold on any of the above yet. Mahtook was one of my favorites last season but he doesn't have a history of doing that well in the MLB and in fact really sucked with TB. I'm afraid to go all in on him yet. Jones, I don't think he ever does anything other than what he does now. Some good defense, lots of SO, and low batting average. I don't think he's even going to be a good 4th outfielder. Stewart needs to prove he can hit above .220 in the MLB before I go all in on him. The power is nice and his on base isn't bad but WAY too many swing and misses for me, plus he's a below average outfielder. Gerber is the only one I am somewhat confident can be an average MLB outfielder. He can do all things average. Typically or what you really want is for him to be the 4th guy.

On another note, here are some guys the Mets just released off their 40 man roster and are available that I would like to see us give a chance:

Phillip Evans (25)- a true utility guy who has played 2B, SS, 3B, and OF. He is a good fielding player with a very good on base percentage. He has some power to add as well. He has some MLB experience and could easily be a replacement for Romine.

Wuilmer Becerra (23)- came over in the RA Dickey deal. Big guy (6'2" 230lbs) but has speed and hits well (.282 with a .340 on base average in the minors). Weird thing is he doesn't hit for power and isn't a great outfielder. He's young and worth a chance though.

Erick Goeddel (27)- strictly a relief pitcher (RH). He had some good early success but tailed off lately. He still owns a respectable 3.96 ERA (well, compared to our relievers) and strikes out more batters than innings used (109K/104inn). His problem lately has been HR's given up (13 in 64 innings) but that can be correctable for a strike out guy from the pen.

Why replace mediocre guys with other mediocre guys Hoog? I would rather see what we have first. I have been saying for awhile that Jones isn't a starter but he's a good utility guy off the bench. Tigers should sign 1 OF bat that they can flip at the deadline.

Ahoda, understand but the guys I'm trying to show are guys I think have more potential and "might" be the guys we can move later on. Also, in the case of Phillip Evans, he's much younger than Romine, less costly, and just as good with more potential. I think we are in the same mind frame (except for Jones) we're just off on the players.

Here's a guy I've been looking at and wondering what your thoughts are: Nick Markakis. The Braves are trying to shed some payroll and get younger. He's on a $10.5M contract for 2018 and FA in 2019. He's a solid RF and has a great OB% but his power has decreased the last few years (only 8 last year). Is he someone we could bring in and then trade at the deadline for some prospects? I was reading an article and it said the Braves may have to attach a prospect with him to move him. I'd be alright with that deal. I'm sure it wouldn't cost us a top prospect to get him and a prospect back. He's on a one year deal so he won't inhibit our young guys down the road. We could actually play him in LF with Mahtook/Jones in CF and Nicky C in RF. The bet is that he finds his power and increases his trade value at the deadline. I think it's worth the investment, what's your take?

Our 40 man roster is a shame. Here are some guys taking up spots on our 40 man roster that we need to look for replacements to take their spots:

Chad Bell
    Jeff Ferrell
    Blaine Hardy
    Kyle Ryan
    Bruce Rondon
    Bryan Holaday
    Efren Navarro
    Jim Adduci
    Tyler Collins
    Alex Presley
    Victor Martinez

That's what 11 spots that could be occupied by some prospect outside the organization or the list of guys needing to be added, pointed out in another thread. None of these guys should be taking up a valuable spot where it could go to a prospect. Also, here are some others that are boarder line on our 40 Man:

Victor Alcantara
    Drew Verhagen
    Myles Jaye
    Warwick Saupold

Hopefully, we can find much better replacements for most of the guys listed.

I believe any rule 5 has to stay on the 25 man roster for the year. Canít hide them in the minors.

Quote Originally Posted by GasMan View Post
    I believe any rule 5 has to stay on the 25 man roster for the year. Canít hide them in the minors.
    That is true unless they become "injured".

Drew Smyly was non tendered by Seattle. Wonít pitch in 2018 till the All-Star break but the Tigers shouldnít care about that. Should we bring him back?
    Last edited by GasMan; 12-03-2017 at 03:36 PM.

We may not have the luxury. He can sign anywhere. He might choose to sign for a chance at winning sooner than later. If possible I would like to see him in a Tiger uniform mid season . Expirenced but not over used
    "Just because the path is well beaten. That doesn't mean it's the right way to go"

I agree that other clubs will likely be interested. An advantage the Tigers may have is that they would be willing to sign a guy that wonít play for half a season because they arenít going to contend anyways and if he does show some ability to pitch to his old form he would be traded to a contender. Itís getting paid to rehab and then audition for a playoff team. Tigers turn some salary into prospects.

Agree Gasman, we could give him a two year with more money on the back end. IF, he does well he could bring in some prospects as well later on down the road. These are the types of risks we will be forced to take.

So, we are getting closer to being set on the roster for 2018. From my calculations, we still need to decide on a utility infielder who can man SS or 2B (Kody Eaves, Harold Castro, FA) and we need to fill 3 bullpen spots (Drew VerHagen, Buck Farmer, Chad Bell, Warwick Saupold, or Carpenter). Here's how it sets up so far, IMO:

Fielders:
    Mahtook, OF
    Nick C, OF/DH
    Leonys Martin, OF
    Gerber, OF
    Vitcor Reyes, OF
    Hicks, 1B/C/DH
    Cabby, 1B/DH
    Machado, 2B
    Iggy, SS
    Candelario, 3B

Pitiching: