Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 23 of 24 FirstFirst ... 1321222324 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Megatron View Post
    I am siding with jdr on this one. He had a 12 win season. **** the bed this year. However look at the things that contributed:
    Lost Carr for a few games.
    Wrs and tes lead the nfl in dropped passes.
    Injuries.
    Travecchio only making 6 of his last 11 fgs.
    Defense getting worked under Norton.
    Connelly being out.
    Not having a solid running game.
    Penn and Newhouse being probably the worst ots in the afc.
    Downing being too predictable in play calling
    Pagano is a step in the right direction.
    Fix these and we are gold
    Everything on your list is true, it's something you can address in a wide or narrow manner. I'm more troubled at how JDR has gone on for so long without making a change and yes I realize it's a big deal to make a coaching change mid season but c'mon. We've been ill prepared as a team all season long. We have the issue that JDR is the real culprit of our sagging D and not Norton Jr on his own. We have the issue on the offense that as far as I'm concerned has yet to be addressed. I'm not discounting the individual deficiencies of individual players, we can see that those exist but I'm alarmed at the lack of preparedness team wide. There is a real disconnect by Del Rio to self diagnose internal problems and seek an in house solution. One could even question his lack of Xs and Os experience as it relates to being a head coach. In my mind the moderate turn around of the defense under Pagano is a huge indicator. I really would like to know if he's had free reign calling the games. Even taking into account the weaknesses of the offenses we have faced still makes it a huge indicator.

The problem starts with JDR, but it finishes up at some other places. He just needs to be gone and take his **** show people with him, it's time to take another step forward....
    The Second protects the First, always has and always will...

Quote Originally Posted by Megatron View Post
    Smith also beat the patriots
    Even though Smith has been up and down this year, my point was against a quality opponent the defense got trampled, even under Pagano.

I just think we're more than a few minor tweaks away. Jack has shown a tendency through his career to scapegoat co-ordinators, Norton first now Downing, and as others have pointed out there's too many games we're unprepared. We've scored 10 points combined in the 1st quarter of the last 7 games, blame drops and untied shoelaces if you must but that points to a subpar team with subpar coaching that simply isn't in a position to win. We need major changes.

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Wang View Post
    Arians as OC? My goodness this reminds me of posts I saw on message boards years and years ago. There's a better chance of us getting Belichick as DC and Sean Payton as OC.
    This franchise and team is a far more attractive proposition than years ago. Yes itís time for us to invest in the best coaches because you canít buy all the best players anymore like Al once did. But you can buy the best coaches. With our talent on offense thereís plenty of reasons why an Arians type OC would be interested. Hell fixing Carr alone would be kudos enough. Aim higher or you will keep hitting average

Quote Originally Posted by Inspector View Post
    This franchise and team is a far more attractive proposition than years ago. Yes itís time for us to invest in the best coaches because you canít buy all the best players anymore like Al once did. But you can buy the best coaches. With our talent on offense thereís plenty of reasons why an Arians type OC would be interested. Hell fixing Carr alone would be kudos enough. Aim higher or you will keep hitting average
    Arians was rumored to have some health issues. If he does indeed step down from the Cardinals, there is a nonzero chance he ends up here. It's not happening, not in a million years.

Arians was rumored to have some health issues. If he does indeed step down from the Cardinals, there is a nonzero chance he ends up here. It's not happening, not in a million years.
    http://www.profootballweekly.com/201...eason/ahhsf5i/

Like I said fixing Carr would be kudos enough

He's a prostate cancer survivor according to his bio....

Quote Originally Posted by corralski View Post
    He's a prostate cancer survivor according to his bio....
    Right, I mistyped saying rumored.

Either way, it strikes me as incredibly pie in the sky to suggest he'd quit Arizona to become an OC, especially under a head coach on shaking footing that doesn't typically share the same aggressive mentality.

mberr Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by themadstork View Post
    Arians will be 66 in October. Too old for my tastes...but he is NJ strong, which I do like. Bit of an underachiever as a HC though.

Shaw is still my guy.

-Stork
    Quote Originally Posted by Inspector View Post
    Arians as OC could work under a new to NFL HC or young up and coming.
    mmm... nah. Arians has shown to be incapable of grooming young QBs. Anytime Palmer has gone down, that team goes to chit. It's what doomed Gruden in Tampa. I know Carr's not a rookie but he needs someone that can adapt to his needs. I feel the same about Norv Turner.

I think right now more than ever, you need coaches who either have college coaching experience or are familiar with college trends. Why? It goes back to the concept of adapting your strategy to the players' strengths. Players hone their skills in college and it takes a long time to adapt to different styles, if they're ever able to. E.g.: Carr is clearly more comfortable in a spread offense (though he needs to be pushed out of his comfort zone), Linemen are either better in power or zone schemes (Raiders' are best in power, they're forced to use zone now to accommodate Lynch). It makes sense for the coaches to incorporate what they players already know into their scheme, but older guys like Arians and Turner are set in their ways and have been calling the same offense for a looong time.

Quote Originally Posted by Mfarneti53 View Post
    Idk if it's been mentioned in here yet but I'd like the staff of
    HC: Vic Fangio
    OC: John DeFilippo
    DC: John Pagano

I hear a lot of Koetter and a little of Norv Turner but to me this would be a good mix of youth/experience and connection to the team.
    I don't think Fangio gets a HC job this year. He wasn't even a serious candidate at the top of his popularity with the 9ers. It's unfair, but he's just one of those guys who isn't exciting. It might be his face/look, IDK. It also took guys like Arians a long time to get an HC gig.

I do really think Fangio would be a great replacement for Pagano if he were to get fired by a new HC.

In the middle of all this talk, let's hope we don't lose Pagano to another HC job....or even another DC job. Let's not lose something of value. I think he would be very hard to replace.

Arians as OC? My goodness this reminds me of posts I saw on message boards years and years ago. There's a better chance of us getting Belichick as DC and Sean Payton as OC.
    So your saying thereís a chance!!!

Quote Originally Posted by chibberaider View Post
    Honestly, I think he's prepping to fire Downing. His words "justify" putting him there to begin with, and to help his buddy find other employment. Just my opinion.
    Hopefully his contract will expire and Mark Davis won't approve his extension. He has got to go!!!

NFL Black Monday Primer: Which Coaches Will Be Fired, and Who Will Fill The Vacancies

"Line coach Mike Tice, seen as a divisive force whose unit was a strength in 2016 and isnít one now, could also be on the chopping block."

Interesting, I never knew any of this about Tice.
    All aboard the Josey Jewell & Josh Jackson train.

krsonekth

Quote Originally Posted by krsonekth View Post
    NFL Black Monday Primer: Which Coaches Will Be Fired, and Who Will Fill The Vacancies

"Line coach Mike Tice, seen as a divisive force whose unit was a strength in 2016 and isnít one now, could also be on the chopping block."

Interesting, I never knew any of this about Tice.
    Probably because he wanted to keep the power blocking scheme.

The outside, zone blocking is not our strength. I can see Tice getting upset with Downing, but JDR siding with TD and not Tice. Because Downing is so bright.

Unbelievable we switched blocking schemes. Werenít we a top 10 rushing attack? What are we now 25th. ****IN unbelievable.

Quote Originally Posted by dbacknick View Post
    In the middle of all this talk, let's hope we don't lose Pagano to another HC job....or even another DC job. Let's not lose something of value. I think he would be very hard to replace.
    I wouldn't be looking at Pagano to protect him, he's a large cut above anything that Del Rio/Norton Jr were doing but I don't think he's on the Wade Phillips level. Don't get me wrong, at this point here I'm ecstatic that he was here and give us the answer to an important issue but I don't know if he is the best that would be available depending on what happens with JDR. I'd be looking to keep the options open at this point...

Page 23 of 24 FirstFirst ... 1321222324 LastLast