Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 90 of 146 FirstFirst ... 40808889909192100140 ... LastLast
Results 1,336 to 1,350 of 2184
    The Longoria trade was a fairly smart move, but a Jay Bruce signing would be stupid. Aside from Bruce's power, there isn't really any upside to him. A better move would be to sign Carlos Gonzalez, who is older, but will command a much shorter and smaller contract. There are several other outfield options that I can think of that I'd prefer over Bruce, and would also be a lot cheaper:

Carlos Gonzalez (mentioned above)
    Andrew McCutchen
    Jackie Bradley Jr.
    Carlos Gomez

Quote Originally Posted by Lincecum4CY View Post
    Wow. Jacoby Ellsbury is considering waiving his ntc to come to SF? Please dont tell me the Giants are seriously considering or close to acquiring him? Please. I am begging you. Please.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I loved Ellsbury when he was on the Red Sox, but the Yankees would have to pay huge part of that deal. And even that at that I wouldn't really want him since he's 34 and would be with us for an additional two years. He could block Duggar too since Bochy loves his vets.

Quote Originally Posted by xander View Post
    The Longoria trade was a fairly smart move, but a Jay Bruce signing would be stupid. Aside from Bruce's power, there isn't really any upside to him. A better move would be to sign Carlos Gonzalez, who is older, but will command a much shorter and smaller contract. There are several other outfield options that I can think of that I'd prefer over Bruce, and would also be a lot cheaper:

Andrew McCutchen
    Jackie Bradley Jr.
    Carlos Gomez
    Yeah I think I'd rather have all of them over Bruce as well. I just don't think CarGo is a fit here though, since our stadium suppresses power and he needs a bounce back season.

But if they do get Bruce, I get they're just trying to go all in at this point with all the guys they have now in their prime and punting the future. I just hope it's a three years deal at the absolute most.

Quote Originally Posted by Rush View Post
    I loved Ellsbury when he was on the Red Sox, but the Yankees would have to pay huge part of that deal. And even that at that I wouldn't really want him since he's 34 and would be with us for an additional two years. He could block Duggar too since Bochy loves his vets.
    I think he'd make a great 4th outfielder, but his contract doesn't really qualify him as a utility player unfortunately. With that being said, if we could trade Samadzija for Ellsburry and Clint Frazier, I'd be down.

There isn't a thread, and we are way early, but the latest prognostications, have these players right about where we draft.

I'd take Ethan Hankins with the #2 overall pick, and Joe Gray Jr with 32... With the exception of Tyler Beede, the top 8 prospects or so aren't pitchers. We could use a front line starter with the draft, and Hankins appears to be that guy.
    LA Kings : Kovalchuk
    LA Lakers: Lebron James
    SF 49ers: Jimmy G
    SF Giants: ????

Andrew McCutchen
    Jackie Bradley Jr.
    Carlos Gomez
    Yeah, I'd **** with Cargo despite his mostly abomination of a season in a hitters paradise. Only on a 1-2 year deal though.

"there's no scraps in my scrapbook"

Quote Originally Posted by leftymo View Post
    There isn't a thread, and we are way early, but the latest prognostications, have these players right about where we draft.

I'd take Ethan Hankins with the #2 overall pick, and Joe Gray Jr with 32... With the exception of Tyler Beede, the top 8 prospects or so aren't pitchers. We could use a front line starter with the draft, and Hankins appears to be that guy.
    That's weird, I was literally just reading about potential draft picks this morning and Hankins looks intriguing.

Though I think Giants will go with a college pitcher as their first pick (someone who is projected to go #20-30) given they are in win now mode and need pitching help.

Andrew Suarez should be ranked higher than Beede imo. Beede is nothing special at all.

I think he'd make a great 4th outfielder, but his contract doesn't really qualify him as a utility player unfortunately. With that being said, if we could trade Samadzija for Ellsburry and Clint Frazier, I'd be down.
    Trading samardzija leaves us very bare in the rotation. I wouldn't be down with that deal

Carlos Gomez is another name that has popped up as a good fit for the Giants now that their is a vacancy in center field. Sabean, in an interview, seemed very high on Steven Duggar but I think Gomez can be a nice answer as well. His best seasons have come in the NL. He's probably not a 40 stolen base guy anymore like he was a few years back, but he's can still be a threat.

What am I missing on Bruce? I see most are leaning against, but he has been regularly .800 plus on OPS, and shouldn't cost too much. Maybe not so good in field, but if we get a decent CF, it could be Bruce would be a good fit.

Quote Originally Posted by WestCoastSportz View Post
    Carlos Gomez is another name that has popped up as a good fit for the Giants now that their is a vacancy in center field. Sabean, in an interview, seemed very high on Steven Duggar but I think Gomez can be a nice answer as well. His best seasons have come in the NL. He's probably not a 40 stolen base guy anymore like he was a few years back, but he's can still be a threat.
    Dude is a punk to put it lightly. Giants value a strong clubhouse. Wouldn't fit with our chemistry.

The best option right now for the Giants, and someone who I think when sabean said "as big of a move as Longoria", the only guy i can think of is McCutchen. If Giants are willing to take on all of his salary, since it seems they can afford to now, perhaps we can get him for Shaw and lesser prospects? Would be impressive if Evans can get two longtime franchise icons in one offseason.

I can see SF loving Cutch and signing him to an extension ala Hunter Pence in 2012.

I'd prefer McCutchen to Bruce as well.

CF Duggar/Dyson
    2B Panik
    3B Longoria
    C Posey
    LF McCutchen
    1B Belt
    SS Crawford
    RF Pence

Quote Originally Posted by Rush View Post
    I'd prefer McCutchen to Bruce as well.

CF Duggar/Dyson
    2B Panik
    3B Longoria
    C Posey
    LF McCutchen
    1B Belt
    SS Crawford
    RF Pence
    CF - Duggar/ Dyson/ Jackson
    1b- Belt
    RF- Cutch
    C- Posey
    3b- Longoria
    SS- Crawford
    Lf - Pence
    2b - Panik

That is a pretty competitive lineup.

Quote Originally Posted by RamOG View Post
    What am I missing on Bruce? I see most are leaning against, but he has been regularly .800 plus on OPS, and shouldn't cost too much. Maybe not so good in field, but if we get a decent CF, it could be Bruce would be a good fit.

Well just speaking for me he doesn't play good defense. He is over 30. He doesnt get on base at an acceptable rate. His only trait is power. Which while we need that, our park suppresses that.

Jay Bruce also has bordered on useless 3 of the last 4 years. Last season being his only solid year. But that is spiked by his home run total, which would take a hit here.