Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by 3iverson3 View Post
    for me its more so the direction they are going thats disappoints me. I know this isn't their year but it could have been a good growth for the team to get the young guys in. Amac isn't part of the future and it sucks that he takes up a spot from someone else and hinders provorov. Guess we won't see provorov away from him for a while now. I know you keep posting responses to everyone telling them not to get their hopes up but I some part of me was hoping amac would get buried still. Shouldn't have gotten my hopes up lol
    This was a player vote. Has nothing to do with how Hexy or Hak feel aboit either of them.

Its a locker room decision. Not an on ice decision.

Quote Originally Posted by phillyeaglesman View Post
    This was a player vote. Has nothing to do with how Hexy or Hak feel aboit either of them.

Its a locker room decision. Not an on ice decision.
    ya but it probably cements amac with provy this year. I know that was the direction they were probably going to but after seeing sanheim, hagg, and morin play I thought they would consider using him as the 7th dman

Quote Originally Posted by 3iverson3 View Post
    ya but it probably cements amac with provy this year. I know that was the direction they were probably going to but after seeing sanheim, hagg, and morin play I thought they would consider using him as the 7th dman
    How does the players putting an A on his chest effect coach hakstols pairings? I'm not following your train of thought here

Exactly. Players voting on a letter has nothing to do with how the coach plans on playing them. Chris Neil wore a letter all year last year and was scratched for a good portion of the season in OTT.

One has nothing to do with the other. Don't make it to mean more than it does.

AMAC must give out a great handy to have been voted an alternate captain. He's a moving trash heap on the ice. This is disappointing to say the least. He's definitely up all year barring a major injury (fingers crossed), weighing down the best defenseman we have on this team. This lineup they threw out there to start the year is insulting. You know what you're getting from him, and it's horrid.

Konecny needs top 6 minutes, he's arguably the best offensive weapon we have from the forwards at even strength. Hakstol needs to re-evaluate the situation and make a few changes. I get that Giroux was playing with Asham to start his career, but this lineup is putrid.

I'm not against Coots being the first line center, but Giroux and Voracek need to get split up. All preseason long when they were on the ice together it reminded me of two kids daring each other to throw a rock at the grumpy old guys house on the street when it came to taking a shot. "You do it." "No, you do it." Back and forth. I was really excited heading into camp, now my expectations are another lottery pick unless something changes.

Hopefully Lindblom tears the AHL right away and forces an early call up this season. I was prepared to take some lumps with rookies in there, but was expecting and upward trend towards the end of the year as they began to assimilate to each other and form some chemistry. My god, I am flabbergasted that this is the best that they could come up with. I thought the entire reason Hextall brought Hak in was because "he's great with kids". This seems to say otherwise. Hope you like Vanilla, because we're eating bowls of it all year.

It's hard to take this team seriously right now. I'm hoping for the best L, but expecting the worst at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by txravis12 View Post
    How does the players putting an A on his chest effect coach hakstols pairings? I'm not following your train of thought here
    We all know the vast, vast majority of players wearing the "A" are playing the overwhelming majority of games. There are exceptions (like Neill in OTT). But this effectively means that AMac will be a regular despite being the (at best) 10th best pro defenseman info the organization.

It is a player vote. Im disappointed in Giroux, to be honest. He (and the leadership core) need to make sure that letters go to people who deserve them and who make the team better by being on the ice. That's the point.

Anything that increases the probability that AMac will be on the ice is bad. That's where I'm at.

Quote Originally Posted by Ace23 View Post
    We all know the vast, vast majority of players wearing the "A" are playing the overwhelming majority of games. There are exceptions (like Neill in OTT). But this effectively means that AMac will be a regular despite being the (at best) 10th best pro defenseman info the organization.

It is a player vote. Im disappointed in Giroux, to be honest. He (and the leadership core) need to make sure that letters go to people who deserve them and who make the team better by being on the ice. That's the point.

Anything that increases the probability that AMac will be on the ice is bad. That's where I'm at.

Oy...

I really cannot stand when fans get irrationally upset over players receiving letters. This has absolutely NOTHING to do with fans or how we feel. Any negative reaction at all to a player elected as captain/alternate captain is irrational.

Electing leaders of a team is a locker room decision. It is a decision that takes place behind closed doors. No matter how much we want to believe we know these players, we don't know jack **** about what goes on in that locker room.

The players were given the opportunity to vote for this alternate captain, and they came to an agreement on splitting it between Filppula and MacDonald. What right do we have to judge that?

This means quite literally nothing in terms of scratching/trading/demoting etc. You're talking about an organization that traded it's captain and one of it's alternate captains - both of whom were arguably the 2 best players on the team at the time - within hours of each other.

Do captains and alternate captains always have to be good players? How does one have anything to do with the other? Do you think Derek MacKenzie was given the captaincy based on his abilities as a player? In terms of alternate captains, how about Josh Gorges in BUF? Troy Brouwer in CGY? Justin Abdelkader in DET? Cal Clutterbuck in NYI? Brandon Sutter for VAN?

This has nothing to do with skill level or playing ability. That's not the point at all.

All of these players were given those letters out of respect they have earned in some way, shape or form in their respective locker rooms, and that's something we as fans can never understand.

We can hate the guy all we want as a player; none of us have the right to criticize something we will never know anything about.

This is pretty incredible and sad, to be honest.

We get to watch Nolan Patrick in a Flyers uniform tomorrow in an NHL regular season game for the first time, and a good amount of you are pissed off, because Andrew MacDonald will have a letter on his chest.

I feel like some perspective is in order here.

This is pretty incredible and sad, to be honest.

We get to watch Nolan Patrick in a Flyers uniform tomorrow in an NHL regular season game for the first time, and a good amount of you are pissed off, because Andrew MacDonald will have a letter on his chest.

I feel like some perspective is in order here.
    I havenít commented on this because as a former college player Iím used to the As going to the best players who arenít the captain, usually best defenseman (assuming captain is offense) and another forward or the starting goalie ... but I was fine with Bellemare last year because he was a heart and soul guy, he played with lots of emotion, dropped the gloves when we needed it, and led by example/do anything for the team

I almost think it is a bit of an indictment against Voracek and Simmonds at this point because of the roles and contracts that both Filppula and AMac play/have .... however, it looks like the locker room essentially just gave the As to what are the oldest team members, which is fine, as long as that was the case for how the entire lockerroom decided to vote.

It is tough to be the leader and also not be counted on to pull the team through a crisis or score a big goal, or hit/fight someone ... and neither Filppula or AMac are those guys ... it more makes me question the mindset of the team.

Long way to say ďsure, it doesnít matter at a glance but it could have undertones of mattering quite a bitĒ

I understood Bellemare, I can see how this happened but it is a bit of a head scratcher too because of who those players are and their team roles ... they are more professional role models, less of on-ice assistant captains ... again, which is fine ... just confusing but it does happen in the league, as you pointed out in your prior posts

Quote Originally Posted by castan_b View Post
    I havenít commented on this because as a former college player Iím used to the As going to the best players who arenít the captain, usually best defenseman (assuming captain is offense) and another forward or the starting goalie ... but I was fine with Bellemare last year because he was a heart and soul guy, he played with lots of emotion, dropped the gloves when we needed it, and led by example/do anything for the team

I almost think it is a bit of an indictment against Voracek and Simmonds at this point because of the roles and contracts that both Filppula and AMac play/have .... however, it looks like the locker room essentially just gave the As to what are the oldest team members, which is fine, as long as that was the case for how the entire lockerroom decided to vote.

It is tough to be the leader and also not be counted on to pull the team through a crisis or score a big goal, or hit/fight someone ... and neither Filppula or AMac are those guys ... it more makes me question the mindset of the team.

Long way to say ďsure, it doesnít matter at a glance but it could have undertones of mattering quite a bitĒ

I understood Bellemare, I can see how this happened but it is a bit of a head scratcher too because of who those players are and their team roles ... they are more professional role models, less of on-ice assistant captains ... again, which is fine ... just confusing but it does happen in the league, as you pointed out in your prior posts
    I don't think it can be an indictment against Simmonds because I believe he's still the Alternate captain and the other two are splitting this one. Otherwise I like the mindset of the post. It's an interesting psychological assesment of the team because the selections seem to be a bit non traditional. In the big picture though it's not as drastic as it appears on paper. With the way that the lineup is constructed right now it left them with a very very small selection to choose something a little more along what we'd all think is more correct.

Run through the starting roster line by line and D pair by D pair......eliminate all the first year and otherwise "young" guys because we aren't going to shove an A on Provorov or Ghost at this point. And in all reality you're left with Coots, Jake, Gudas, Weiss, Filpulla and Amac. So at this point the bad and/or perplexing news is on how Coots isn't viewed by the team as the guy to take that role or even Jake as mainstays of the team. I don't know that it's bad news actually, just kind of psychologically odd that doesn't give us the warm fuzzy of comfort.

The good news however is this......really given the number of young guys or new guys I think this selection of A comes more down to older experienced guys who have credibility with the refs to have conversations about game situations. G is the captain and I think there's no question the team would feed off Simmonds as the #1 A so to speak. Given the rest of the choices I think this might be more just guys who have been around the league awhile who can have credibility with the refs in questioning and sorting out the oddball situations in the games. So while on the surface it makes everyone uneasy I don't know that it's really anything to get overly concerned about.

I think the main concern is that we don't want Hakstol to make any playing time decisions or roster decisions due to some social pressure because Amac has an A. I think they've already shown they value him well more than anyone else does, so I guess we'll see how that all goes.

How do we want to do game threads this year? Should we keep it game to game? Do you guys want to do weekly threads rather than single game threads? Could do monthly, though those may get too long.

Thoughts?

How do we want to do game threads this year? Should we keep it game to game? Do you guys want to do weekly threads rather than single game threads? Could do monthly, though those may get too long.

Thoughts?
    Months worked well imo

Eh...I get it...giving AMac the "A". As a statistical player, especially using more advanced metrics, it becomes obvious what kind of a player he is. But we're in the infancy of those numbers, I'm sure most players barely understand them, and many probably shun them. What MacDonald does is a lot of the "grit/grind" stuff. He checks, he plays hard (even if he doesn't play well), he blocks shots, has been around the league for many years...you can see where a team, especially one of if not the youngest team in the NHL is going to look up to that kind of a player in that respect. I don't think it changes anything in terms of playing time, but I do think that with a little understanding we can see where a young player may look at MacDonald in a leadership role.

Quote Originally Posted by Hatch View Post
    I don't think it can be an indictment against Simmonds because I believe he's still the Alternate captain and the other two are splitting this one. Otherwise I like the mindset of the post. It's an interesting psychological assesment of the team because the selections seem to be a bit non traditional. In the big picture though it's not as drastic as it appears on paper. With the way that the lineup is constructed right now it left them with a very very small selection to choose something a little more along what we'd all think is more correct.

Run through the starting roster line by line and D pair by D pair......eliminate all the first year and otherwise "young" guys because we aren't going to shove an A on Provorov or Ghost at this point. And in all reality you're left with Coots, Jake, Gudas, Weiss, Filpulla and Amac. So at this point the bad and/or perplexing news is on how Coots isn't viewed by the team as the guy to take that role or even Jake as mainstays of the team. I don't know that it's bad news actually, just kind of psychologically odd that doesn't give us the warm fuzzy of comfort.

The good news however is this......really given the number of young guys or new guys I think this selection of A comes more down to older experienced guys who have credibility with the refs to have conversations about game situations. G is the captain and I think there's no question the team would feed off Simmonds as the #1 A so to speak. Given the rest of the choices I think this might be more just guys who have been around the league awhile who can have credibility with the refs in questioning and sorting out the oddball situations in the games. So while on the surface it makes everyone uneasy I don't know that it's really anything to get overly concerned about.

I think the main concern is that we don't want Hakstol to make any playing time decisions or roster decisions due to some social pressure because Amac has an A. I think they've already shown they value him well more than anyone else does, so I guess we'll see how that all goes.
    I havenít actually checked outside of just reading the board, busy at work, if Simmonds is still an A and we are alternating the 2nd A between our two oldest guys, that is palatable. We did that with Streit too. If Simmonds doesnít have an A this year, Iím way more concerned

Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast