Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by txravis12 View Post
    All this sly talk by hextall makes me think he has something up his sleeve.

Is it possible manning and amac were actually fighting for the #7 job in the last game? And that's why Morin and sanheim didn't play?

What else would explain why neither of them dressed unless they were on equal footing? They couldn't have both been scheduled to be sent back, the only thing logically is that they both had already done enough.

Hextall still keeping his fingers crossed he can move on of amac or manning, so he won't go public.

I know. I know. Wishful thinking
    This isn't the draft, we're not allowed to have hope for this working out magically.
    <Meaning and Content>

...And did you see that Giroux goal?

Quote Originally Posted by phillyeaglesman View Post
    My opinion: the lineup they put out Sunday was the lineup they planned on playing Wednesday night. Ghost got hurt so it through a wrench in the plan and they couldn't send anyone down. They didn't send anyone down before the game Sunday, in case of the exact scenario that occurred: someone got hurt.

As for the Laughton line playing more than the Filppula line: honestly, they probably will play more and they likely should. That Filppula line has disaster written all over it. They have been awful for 2 games. I don't like to read too much into preseason, but if you're bad in preseason, I usually mark that down with a red flag. That line will struggle to get out of the DZ and we've seen that first hand in the preseason. The Laughton line, on the other hand, has speed, some skill and an excellent play driver in Raffl to get them to where they need to be. That line is going to give most 4th lines fits and even a good amount of 3rd lines.

Frankly, a quick fix is to switch Raffl and Weise. That at least gives that 3rd line a shot at being successful. It's not optimal, but given how Hakstol has contracted this lineup, that's as good as it's gonna get.

Just such a shame they're ok with putting Konecny in that kind of situation to start the season.
    If Morin or sanheim were being rostered with the plans of being the #7, both hak and hex need a position change. Hak back to ncaa, and hextall in charge of the drafting and development.

No reason to carry either as a #7.

Quote Originally Posted by txravis12 View Post
    If Morin or sanheim were being rostered with the plans of being the #7, both hak and hex need a position change. Hak back to ncaa, and hextall in charge of the drafting and development.

No reason to carry either as a #7.

I don't think the plan was to have either of them be the #7 all year. I think the plan was to have Manning play over them to for Game 1. Morin will play when Manning inevitably falls on his face & play most of the games, with the patented "for his development" stints in the press box here and there.

Again, we all keep saying it, these decisions seem so absolutely ridiculous that it almost makes you believe there is more at play here than meets the eye. Lindblom, okay, I can understand. Yes, he looked good in the couple of games he played, but he didn't play well enough in the role he's been pegged for. So, let him go get some more reps in the minors playing more, get the season going, and then call him up when he's in full stride and dominating.

However, Morin and Sanheim can't really be seen in that same light, as they both outplayed two defensemen who are going to be part of the 23-man group. I will say that both had a rocky start, Morin's slightly better, but finished incredibly well and got better each game. I think if the pre-season were 3-4 games longer they would have had a better shot at getting more playing time and proving their worth. Obviously that's a hypothetical, so pointless to consider. But still, in the few games they played, they improved each game and looked better than Manning and AMac, so why on earth would they be sent down? The only real options are that 1) there is something else at play here and Hextall believes he can somehow make magic happen with at least one of them. 2) Hextall and Hakstol really have no idea what the hell theyre doing.

Obviously hopeful it's number one, because I refuse to believe with how great Hextall is at evaluating talent and drafting that he can't see this lineup as inferior to what could be with a few simple moves. He has to see Konecny being wasted on that line, he has to see that AMac and Manning are garbage, and he has to see that Sanheim and Morin both earned more of a look than what they got. This also brings into play what the relationship is like between the GM and coach. It's different in every organization and in some the coach calls the shots with the roster makeup and who he wants in the lineup. It could just be that Hextall is letting him call the shots and is putting him on the hot seat.

I think you're going to be greatly disappointed, FlyGuys.

I'm not saying they feel AMac is good, but I definitely don't think that they think he's bad, despite the overwhelming evidence.

So while Sanheim can still go back and improve, they're going to use that option.

Makes you wonder, too, if this is an age + AHL experience issue with Hextall. Martinez, Muzzin, Voynov were all guys that had either 2+ years of AHL experience or were at least 22 years old when they finally made the jump to the NHL. Doughty was the one exception.

That would seem to match what's going on here. Hagg and Morin each are at least 22 years old and have at least 2 years of AHL experience. Provorov is the exception.

The one glimmer of hope is Ghost's ascent to the NHL. But, Ghost was at least 22 years old, had he not torn his ACL he would have been in his 2nd year of AHL time, he got called up as a comparable replacement for Mark Streit, and he had such a lucky and awesome run when he got called up it was basically impossible to send him down.

So could Sanheim have a Ghost-like ascent in November? Maybe, but I think an almost perfect storm of events would have to occur in order for him to get called up that early and for him to stick once he's here. You'd have to almost hope he's a) tearing up the AHL (which he should) b) the "right guy" gets hurt (which in this case would likely be Ghost or Provorov and that would not be good), and c) he plays SO well that it's impossible to send him down.

Lindblom is the guy I think could potentially just make it here based on tearing up the AHL. I expect him to do that, and with the roster they have assembled combined with the rough schedule they have to start the year, I think it's possible Lindblom could see a call up some time in November.

Sanheim (or Morin if he's the cut, but more so Sanheim) is a more difficult situation to project IMO.

This is eerily similar to the situation in LA, so I can see it playing out like that. My guess is that the way they see it they want these guys playing the toughest minutes possible and getting the most out of their playing time and maybe we just underestimate what the AHL is like. I'm certain that's true for me and based on what we've seen from NHL players development up through the ranks (with the exception of outliers like Doughty and Provorov) it has a great track record of success. There is clearly value placed on being able to play more in the AHL than playing less in the NHL. It is also a hefty weight for three rookies to carry playing up at once. I have resolved to the fact that this is something to look forward to and we will really see the tenacity and drive these guys have to crack this lineup and force their way up. Let the gain some more confidence and dominate the AHL and force the hand of their GM and coach to make a spot for them. The anticipation is not easy to deal with, but soon enough this will all come to forition.

Let’s hope hakstol is Terry Murray then ...

Quote Originally Posted by FlyGuys89 View Post
    This is eerily similar to the situation in LA, so I can see it playing out like that. My guess is that the way they see it they want these guys playing the toughest minutes possible and getting the most out of their playing time and maybe we just underestimate what the AHL is like. I'm certain that's true for me and based on what we've seen from NHL players development up through the ranks (with the exception of outliers like Doughty and Provorov) it has a great track record of success. There is clearly value placed on being able to play more in the AHL than playing less in the NHL. It is also a hefty weight for three rookies to carry playing up at once. I have resolved to the fact that this is something to look forward to and we will really see the tenacity and drive these guys have to crack this lineup and force their way up. Let the gain some more confidence and dominate the AHL and force the hand of their GM and coach to make a spot for them. The anticipation is not easy to deal with, but soon enough this will all come to forition.

Right. As I've said before, this isn't doomsday. Hextall didn't trade the kids for aging vets. He just doesn't feel they all blew him away.

We can disagree (and I do), but at the end of the day these kids will all be here at some point.

It's just a shame that he's decided to go this conservative, because this year, I think he's actively hurting the team by not having them all here at the jump.

I'll disagree with anyone that feels it should have happened last year with guys like Morin, Hagg and Sanheim. They weren't ready yet.

This year, they should all be playing. They're all ready to make this team better in the here and now.

Hopefully we see both of them back with the team sometime between November and January/

Quote Originally Posted by phillyeaglesman View Post
    Right. As I've said before, this isn't doomsday. Hextall didn't trade the kids for aging vets. He just doesn't feel they all blew him away.

We can disagree (and I do), but at the end of the day these kids will all be here at some point.

It's just a shame that he's decided to go this conservative, because this year, I think he's actively hurting the team by not having them all here at the jump.

I'll disagree with anyone that feels it should have happened last year with guys like Morin, Hagg and Sanheim. They weren't ready yet.

This year, they should all be playing. They're all ready to make this team better in the here and now.

Hopefully we see both of them back with the team sometime between November and January/
    That still isn’t really what is bothering me the most ... what is bothering me the most is that it is the same system (especially with PP1), with the same flawed approach and we are expecting different results. We revamped the 4th line, which is fairly minor, moved our best shooting and scoring threat to the 3rd line with dale Weise, moved our best center to wing to make room for Patrick, and promoted Hagg to replace Del Zotto/Schultz

All and all, the changes are minor or will produce less offense on an offensively challenged club

You would think, given our system, you’d give as many puck moving/scoring threat defenders to the NHL team (and not Amac and Manning); you’d go with more speed, deflection ability, and skill over size from the forward group (partially happened but can’t say this is for sure with Weise and Lehtera in the lineup) because we need to retrieve the puck and forecheck so much due to the system ... it still doesn’t make sense to me why the system hasn’t changed and we have the players to integrate to make the system work better ... we arent fully leveraging what we have
    Last edited by castan_b; 10-03-2017 at 12:12 PM.

No surprise, Read cleared waivers today. No word yet on lineup tonight as they are on the west coast, likely wont hear anything for another hour or 2 when they practice.

Players got some new numbers:

Hagg: 8
    Morin: 5
    Leier: 20
    Patrick 19
    Sanheim: 6

Lines and D pairs today:

Giroux-Couts-Voracek
    Weal-Patrick-Simmonds
    Weise-Filppula-Konecny
    Leier-Laughton-Raffl
    Lehtera

Provorov-AMac
    Sanheim-Gudas
    Hagg-Manning
    Morin-Ghost

Ghost is indeed practicing and all reports are he looks good. My guess is whatever is bothering him is minor and he'll be back fairly soon. So because he's out, based on these pairings, my guess is Sanheim will play and Morin will be scratched. Sanheim is the perfect replacement for Ghost stylistically, and he's really the only other D option they have for PP time, so I see Provorov sliding up to PP1 and Sanheim playing PP2 tomorrow night.

Now IMO Morin should be playing for Manning. Why isn't he? My theory is that Ghost and Morin will be a pair when Ghost is healthy enough to play, so they're practicing together. Hagg would then slide up to play with Gudas and Sanheim would be sent back to Lehigh Valley, bringing Matt Read back up.

Hell, given his propensity for matching speed against speed and size against size, I wouldn't be surprised to see Ghost sit vs. LA on Thursday night and see Morin come in for Sanheim OR keep Sanheim in and drop either Hagg or Manning out for Morin, keeping Ghost out for "precautionary reasons".

But I don't expect the Flyers to carry 8 D men longer than they have to, so it's likely that as soon as Ghost is good to go, Sanheim goes back to the AHL.

At least we're likely gonna see him play tomorrow.

Hope he lights it up and plays so well they’re just like “crap we need to rethink this whole sending him down thing.”

Well, now Ghost in an interview after practice said he's "good to go". So I guess we'll see. Either:

A) Ghost sits anyway for precautionary reasons, Morin still scratched
    B) Hagg & Manning are scratched and Ghost & Morin play
    C) One of Hagg/Manning moves up to play with Gudas, Sanheim and one of Hagg/Manning sits

I guess we'll find out soon enough.

What a mess they are making out of this.
    Last edited by CasperX22; 10-03-2017 at 04:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by CasperX22 View Post
    What a mess they are making our of this.
    The only thing they could do to salvage this is to add ghost back and waive Amac

I’d immediately stop caring about Weise and Lehtera ... and wouldn’t care as much about Lindblom

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast