Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 193
  1. #16
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    South Jersey
    Posts
    15,550
    Quote Originally Posted by castan_b View Post
    Iíd agree with the last sentence, which is why superstars are needed - matchups and regular season wins. In the playoffs, they are neutralized by stronger teams who also have superstars and better depth.

    We donít have one

    I disagree. I agree we don't have a superstar this year, which is one of the reasons we aren't a contender this year.


    But the more skill and threats to score you have throughout your lineup, the better you are.


    Look at EDM last year. McDavid, Draisaitl.....then what? Absolute stud players, but no real depth to speak of, they get tossed.


    WSH is the only team in recent memory I can think of that had both star power and depth and still couldn't put it together. That's the outlier.


    There are plenty of bad teams with stars or superstars. There aren't many bad teams with really good depth.

  2. #17
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    8,152
    Quote Originally Posted by phillyeaglesman View Post
    I disagree. I agree we don't have a superstar this year, which is one of the reasons we aren't a contender this year.


    But the more skill and threats to score you have throughout your lineup, the better you are.


    Look at EDM last year. McDavid, Draisaitl.....then what? Absolute stud players, but no real depth to speak of, they get tossed.


    WSH is the only team in recent memory I can think of that had both star power and depth and still couldn't put it together. That's the outlier.


    There are plenty of bad teams with stars or superstars. There aren't many bad teams with really good depth.
    I think our depth will be put to the test this year ... we will see.

  3. #18
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    California
    Posts
    9,396
    "I'm going to keep you guys guessing for another day or so," Hextall said.

    wtf hexy

  4. #19
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    California
    Posts
    9,396
    Quote Originally Posted by phillyeaglesman View Post
    Carchidi reporting Ghost is on the plane headed to San Jose. All 3 rookies on flight as well. So sounds like they feel he could be available at some point in California.
    i hope so. this is my only chance to watch them live and i missed it last year because i was in europe. Still haven't seen provorov play a game live and I really want to see ghost too.

  5. #20
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    South Jersey
    Posts
    15,550
    I would say he probably doesnt play Wednesday. After that its up in the air.

    Still nothing official on his status.

  6. #21
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    4,574
    All this sly talk by hextall makes me think he has something up his sleeve.

    Is it possible manning and amac were actually fighting for the #7 job in the last game? And that's why Morin and sanheim didn't play?

    What else would explain why neither of them dressed unless they were on equal footing? They couldn't have both been scheduled to be sent back, the only thing logically is that they both had already done enough.

    Hextall still keeping his fingers crossed he can move on of amac or manning, so he won't go public.


    I know. I know. Wishful thinking

  7. #22
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    1,718
    That was my thinking too, but more so that they were fighting for that 7th spot. If that were the case though one of them would have been waived because one of them would need to be sent down. They are your 6th and 7th Dmen heading into this season with Read being the only player waived. There's not a shot Hextall actually believes he can get anything of value for AMac without retaining a ton of salary and Manning won't get you anything at all either. For those reasons I have to believe that Hextall & Co. feel as though the kids will be better suited getting the season started in the minors. The only hopes that he has of gaining any assets for either of them is for other teams to be put into dire circumstances due to an injury. Even then you'd be lucky to get a 7th rounder for either, but the hope is you can move them without having to retain salary, so a team would have to be incredibly desperate. Once that situation plays itself out is when the rookies get the call up.

  8. #23
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    South Jersey
    Posts
    15,550
    Quote Originally Posted by txravis12 View Post
    All this sly talk by hextall makes me think he has something up his sleeve.

    Is it possible manning and amac were actually fighting for the #7 job in the last game? And that's why Morin and sanheim didn't play?

    What else would explain why neither of them dressed unless they were on equal footing? They couldn't have both been scheduled to be sent back, the only thing logically is that they both had already done enough.

    Hextall still keeping his fingers crossed he can move on of amac or manning, so he won't go public.


    I know. I know. Wishful thinking

    Yeah, I've thought of this as a possibility as well.


    Reason I doubt it, is because I don't think they'd have AMac paired with Provorov if they were planning on having him and Manning fighting for jobs. I think it's fairly evident that the Provorov-AMac pair is gonna be a thing until it isn't.


    Maybe Manning is fighting for a spot, but again, every other player on the ice that night is projected to be in the starting lineup on Wednesday. So for Manning to be the odd man out just doesn't seem plausible.


    I think once the Ghost injury is figured out, Morin becomes the regular and Manning steps in when they feel Morin needs one of Hakstol's patented developmental rest periods.

  9. #24
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    4,574
    Quote Originally Posted by phillyeaglesman View Post
    Yeah, I've thought of this as a possibility as well.


    Reason I doubt it, is because I don't think they'd have AMac paired with Provorov if they were planning on having him and Manning fighting for jobs. I think it's fairly evident that the Provorov-AMac pair is gonna be a thing until it isn't.


    Maybe Manning is fighting for a spot, but again, every other player on the ice that night is projected to be in the starting lineup on Wednesday. So for Manning to be the odd man out just doesn't seem plausible.


    I think once the Ghost injury is figured out, Morin becomes the regular and Manning steps in when they feel Morin needs one of Hakstol's patented developmental rest periods.
    Then why have them on the roster at all? The game was their last chance to earn a spot.

    What if the plan all along was to waive one of manning/amac + read? Getting the team to 23. However when ghost got hurt they needed to keep an 8th dman. So the logical move was to send lindblom down temporarily, getting to 24, waive read and you're at 23.

    Once Ghost gets healthy, you waive the odd man out on defense, and recall lindblom. Now you have your 23 again.

    Or, the plan was lindblom all along, plus one of amac/manning. The injury forces the team to keep 8 dmen temporarily. Ghost comes back and amac/manning disappears.

    The reason amac would be with provy is simple. If he's in the lineup, that's where he plays. He can't be carried effectively by any other partner. So give him every chance in the world to earn a spot. Even if it's as the #7. It's a little easier to swallow that contract on the scratch list than it is in Lehigh.



    I know this is still all wishful thinking. Within the next 72 hours it's going to blown to bits.

  10. #25
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    4,574
    Meanwhile the more I look at the lineup the more I think it actually will play out like this

    G-couts-jake
    Weal-patrick-simmer
    Raffl-laughton-leier
    Weise-flipper-konecny


    I feel the laughton line is going to get more even strength minutes than the filpulla line. Simply due to hakstol believe in the muck and grind philosophy of a vandemare type duo. In this case Leerton.

  11. #26
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    7,682
    Quote Originally Posted by txravis12 View Post
    Then why have them on the roster at all? The game was their last chance to earn a spot.

    What if the plan all along was to waive one of manning/amac + read? Getting the team to 23. However when ghost got hurt they needed to keep an 8th dman. So the logical move was to send lindblom down temporarily, getting to 24, waive read and you're at 23.

    Once Ghost gets healthy, you waive the odd man out on defense, and recall lindblom. Now you have your 23 again.

    Or, the plan was lindblom all along, plus one of amac/manning. The injury forces the team to keep 8 dmen temporarily. Ghost comes back and amac/manning disappears.

    The reason amac would be with provy is simple. If he's in the lineup, that's where he plays. He can't be carried effectively by any other partner. So give him every chance in the world to earn a spot. Even if it's as the #7. It's a little easier to swallow that contract on the scratch list than it is in Lehigh.



    I know this is still all wishful thinking. Within the next 72 hours it's going to blown to bits.
    You are most likely justsetting yourself up for disappointment.

  12. #27
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    South Jersey
    Posts
    15,550
    My opinion: the lineup they put out Sunday was the lineup they planned on playing Wednesday night. Ghost got hurt so it through a wrench in the plan and they couldn't send anyone down. They didn't send anyone down before the game Sunday, in case of the exact scenario that occurred: someone got hurt.

    As for the Laughton line playing more than the Filppula line: honestly, they probably will play more and they likely should. That Filppula line has disaster written all over it. They have been awful for 2 games. I don't like to read too much into preseason, but if you're bad in preseason, I usually mark that down with a red flag. That line will struggle to get out of the DZ and we've seen that first hand in the preseason. The Laughton line, on the other hand, has speed, some skill and an excellent play driver in Raffl to get them to where they need to be. That line is going to give most 4th lines fits and even a good amount of 3rd lines.


    Frankly, a quick fix is to switch Raffl and Weise. That at least gives that 3rd line a shot at being successful. It's not optimal, but given how Hakstol has contracted this lineup, that's as good as it's gonna get.


    Just such a shame they're ok with putting Konecny in that kind of situation to start the season.

  13. #28
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    California
    Posts
    9,396
    i really hate konecny with filpulla and weise. He has no one with great skill to play with and he looked so good in preseason it sucks they don't reward his play and put him with tk-g-voracek/raffl

  14. #29
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    South Jersey
    Posts
    15,550
    With how all three of them have played this preseason, Raffl-Giroux-Konecny would like mighty good.

    Also allows Konecny to play his natural side.

    But that would require having Couturier, Giroux and Patrick down the middle, which isn't the coach's top choice, so

  15. #30
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    8,152
    Iíve typed out 3 posts and deleted them. It is pointless until we have a new coach or until the kids are up. I really hate how this off-season turned out. Bright spot is Patrick and getting a Patrick jersey.

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •