Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

The Josh Donaldson Thread

Everything Josh Donaldson related. Is going to be the big story of the offseason whether we lock him up, whether he plays out his last season of control, or we trade him.

Where are we all standing on this?

I'm conflicted. One part of me wants to cash him in and get some young guys who will be ready to go when Vladdy comes up. OTOH, I wouldn't mind him locked up long term. I look at Beltre in Texas and he's pushing 40 and still playing great. I think Josh can do that too.

The Lost Boys of PSD

Quote Originally Posted by statquo View Post
    Everything Josh Donaldson related. Is going to be the big story of the offseason whether we lock him up, whether he plays out his last season of control, or we trade him.

Where are we all standing on this?

I'm conflicted. One part of me wants to cash him in and get some young guys who will be ready to go when Vladdy comes up. OTOH, I wouldn't mind him locked up long term. I look at Beltre in Texas and he's pushing 40 and still playing great. I think Josh can do that too.
    if rogers is true to their word he'll be re-signed, since they are plannong to be competitive next season. in my opinion anything more than 3 years is a mistake since it will tie up too much money and we would lose whatever value he has in trade along the way,as by then he will be 36.

by signing him he will be a 5-10 player able to reject any trades. it is for that reason I believe signing him to be a mistake. since realistically, both Boston and New York will be more talented in the short term, our realistic best case scenario is the 2nd Wild Card and I believe the assets forfeited by keeping JD would be better suited to our future with Guerrero and Bichette, while Josh should still be an effective player by then still, at 35 or so his clock will be winding down.

I believe that acquiring even one IMPACT prospect for him would give us a greater long term value, much as has a Rafael Devers in Boston or an Aaron Judge or Gary Sanchez In New York. There is considerable risk in doing that however because you simply cant afford to miss on the Prospect, that is why I say "even one prospect" because while someone would no doubt give 3 decent prospects for Josh, I dont want that, I want the best single prospect we can get, someone who we can be 90-95% certain will be a cornerstone. Like we believe Guerrero is now.

If that quality of prospect cannot be acquired, then holding JD may be preferable because this franchise cannot afford to trade DONALDSON for a Hoffman, Castro, Tinoco type trade, even though at the time they were seen as high value prospects ("The Rockies received three young pitchers with high ceilings who can touch the high 90s with their fastballs." as was reported at the time) as much as many here love BICHETTE, prospects at that level fail more often than they succeed... if we are trading Donaldson.....it must be a sure thing.....even if it means we get fewer prospects in return.

In a way Donaldson is Like R A Dickey was to the Mets wnen they traded him here, Alderson believed D'arnaud was that "sure thing" but honestly he wasnt. In that trade the longshot, saved his ***. but more times than not it doesnt work that way. For proof just look at the Roy Halliday trade (Travis d’Arnaud, Kyle Drabek and Michael Taylor. ) all were quality prospects, but not elite ones
    Last edited by mikepelfrey; 10-01-2017 at 10:37 PM.

I have a hard time believing Shapkins gives him 5 years. If anything he'll get an insane amount of money over 3 years. 3 years 120 mil or something like that. Either way if there's a player over 30 I'm willing to pay, it's JD. Furthermore, if we do throw money at JD we need to go hard. No more patchwork, start selling some of those specs.

Quote Originally Posted by R. Johnson#3 View Post
    I have a hard time believing Shapkins gives him 5 years. If anything he'll get an insane amount of money over 3 years. 3 years 120 mil or something like that. Either way if there's a player over 30 I'm willing to pay, it's JD. Furthermore, if we do throw money at JD we need to go hard. No more patchwork, start selling some of those specs.
    see you just hit on my biggest fear, that they'll do what it takes to keep josh, and then they'll say "well that should keep the fans happy" and them proceed with patchwork 101 again.

if thats their plan, RJ#3, THEN WE'RE BETTER OFF TRADING JOSH, because its still not picking a direction

Make him your best offer this offseason and if he doesn't bite send him packing to the Cards.

Gyorko, Reyes and Sierra

Or

Gyorko, Flahrety, Bader, Alcantara

I would keep him I guess.

I always preferred to trade him at the 2017 deadline when he had 1.5 years left. If not 2017 deadline, then 2018 deadline. Last would have been this offseason.