Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 47 of 73 FirstFirst ... 37454647484957 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by bartron_44 View Post
    Sure did...it put the class is classic!

The worrysome thing to me is, it seems loke thr Jays haven't even tried to start negotiating with JD. He says he wants to stay, they say they have discussed rhe number they feel they are ok with and that they want him to stay, but they haven't offered him anything.

If I'm the Jays, I lock him up now. Don't wait until ST so he has to field questions about it every day. Get it done and let the man focus on playing baseball.

Getting it done early also lets them shift Vladdy somewhere else in ST to start his position switch. That way he can get some decent reps in before the games start to count...
    I think they're going to wait and see how the season plays out before offering him anything and it makes perfect sense. I'm not really worried about the lack of an offer ATM. If there's any player over 30 that I want to pay, it's JD but if we **** the bed then I want to deal him for a package.

Why wait until he gets on the open market as the best available 3B when you may have to compete with Boston, NY, SF and STL.

I dont think any package they can get for a couple months of JD is going to give them more over the next 3-5 years as he can. You don't want Bo and Vladdy having to step in and lead this team as teenagers. He's an MVP , who has been amazing since he put on Jays uniform. Imagine how much the kids could learn by watching him and talking hitting everyday.

I know they are looking for another SP. I'm hoping they get Jaime Garcia. I know health is an issue, but he gets a ton of GBs. If you can get 140 IP out of him I think he's a worthy investment.

There was an article on the Score app saying we were looking at Andrew Cashner. He's not my ideal target but for a #5 he could be worth a go.

I have nothing against cashner. Could fill a pen role if he flops. A lot of these guys will be accepting minor league deals.

Quote Originally Posted by R. Johnson#3 View Post
    There was an article on the Score app saying we were looking at Andrew Cashner. He's not my ideal target but for a #5 he could be worth a go.
    Still prefer the add a #3 type and look beyond just this year. No problem bumping other guys down. If healthy they all get the same amount of starts anyways. There isn't a lot that gives me optimism that Cashner will be a difference maker for us. Just another journeyman in the mix.

Quote Originally Posted by pebloemer View Post
    Still prefer the add a #3 type and look beyond just this year. No problem bumping other guys down. If healthy they all get the same amount of starts anyways. There isn't a lot that gives me optimism that Cashner will be a difference maker for us. Just another journeyman in the mix.
    They promised an impact player. They have not delivered on that promise yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Mell413 View Post
    I know they are looking for another SP. I'm hoping they get Jaime Garcia. I know health is an issue, but he gets a ton of GBs. If you can get 140 IP out of him I think he's a worthy investment.
    He hasn't pitched well for a couple of years

While Cashner is not ideal he is a better option than Biagini, who then becomes the number 6 starter and provides depth to the pen. Stroman, Sanchez, Estrada, and Happ is very much an MLB rotation. I'd be OK with a mid 4 ERA starter that can pitch over 150 innings as the Jays #5.

I wouldn't mind seeing the Jays taking a look at Borucki sometime this season, although he seems like another Estrada type pitcher. Just not sure if the Jays would put him in the pen first like Sanchez.

Quote Originally Posted by FLeays View Post
    While Cashner is not ideal he is a better option than Biagini, who then becomes the number 6 starter and provides depth to the pen. Stroman, Sanchez, Estrada, and Happ is very much an MLB rotation. I'd be OK with a mid 4 ERA starter that can pitch over 150 innings as the Jays #5.

I wouldn't mind seeing the Jays taking a look at Borucki sometime this season, although he seems like another Estrada type pitcher. Just not sure if the Jays would put him in the pen first like Sanchez.
    Boruki seems like Estrada? Thought he had some heat coming up through the ranks.

Quote Originally Posted by ChongInc. View Post
    Boruki seems like Estrada? Thought he had some heat coming up through the ranks.
    I think he can bring the FB into the mid 90's, from what I've read though his success may more depend on his delivery, how well he hides the ball, and a very good changeup - hence [my] Estrada comparison.

I've also seen a Buerhle comparison as well.

He's seems a bit intriguing so if you have more info please share.

I like the Breslow signing as a pure LOOGY

I don't remember the promise, but if it happened, then no, they definitely haven't delivered.

I don't remember any promises being dished out either, just that one interview they came out and said what they wanted to add was an impact arm and/or an impact bat. (Which since it was said publicly could have very well just been a smoke screen...)

It really depends on your definition of "add". One could argue they are essentially going to add an impact arm in Sanchez. They were trying for Yelich to the very end but weren't willing to give up their top 2 prospects to make that happen in order to get it done. It also depends on what you call an "impact bat". Both Granderson and Grichuk (as well as Diaz if he ends up being needed) have the potential to post an OPS over .800 with a little luck in the BABIP department. Would that be good enough? Last year they would have had our 3rd and 4th highest OPS numbers behind only Donaldson and Smoak. (Zeke and Teoscar were technically better but Zeke was a part time player and Teoscar was a Sept call up). Granderson would have had the 3rd highest wRC+ among everyday players and Grichuk would have been 5th. (Pearce, Carrera and Martin were also better, but none of them had more than 365 PA's).

Not that either of them need smaller fields to hit HR's, but as fly ball hitters they should add a little bit of luck in that department simply by coming into a HR friendly Division where they are going to play half their games in a field that is:

328 -Left
    375 - Left Center
    400 - Center
    375- Right Center
    328- Right

instead of the cold Citi Field where balls don't seem to carry as well that is:

335 -Left
    380 - Left Center
    400 - Center
    380- Right Center
    330- Right

or in a stadium that is considerably bigger to the pull side in Busch Stadium:

336 -Left
    385 - Left Center
    400 - Center
    385- Right Center
    335- Right

They both have upper deck type of power, so even when they miss they can still hit HR's at home. As well as in Fenway,:

310 -Left
    379 - Left Center
    390 - Center (420 -deep center)
    380- Right Center
    302- Right

Tropicana:

315 -Left
    370 - Left Center
    404 - Center
    370- Right Center
    322- Right

and Yankee Stadium:

314 -Left
    399 - Left Center
    408 - Center
    385- Right Center
    314- Right

So if Martin and Travis are healthy, and Morales had a bounce back year they could add up to 5 regulars with an OPS north of .800 to go along with JD and Smoak. To put it into perspective, as good as the Red Sox were last year they only had 1 full time guy post an OPS over .800 last year in their lineup (Betts at .803). The Yankees only had Judge and Sanchez . (They had 3 or 4 others though that were pretty close, but only 2 full time players over .800). In 2015 when the Jays had their foolish offense they only had 3 (...those 3 just had an OPS over .900.)

Needless to say, if things click for this roster they have a tonne of potential. With guys like Hernandez, Alford, Diaz, Solarte and Jansen all waiting to back them up if someone goes down. They won 76 games last year essentially punting about 10 outs a game on average with guys like Goins, Barney, Maile, Montero, Coghlan, Urena, Refsnyder, Salty and Montero in the lineup. At least now they should be able to field a competitive team everyday.

Quote Originally Posted by Robbie:32169251
    Quote Originally Posted by Mell413 View Post
    He hasn't pitched well for a couple of years
    It depends on what your definition of good is and what you value as far as stats go. He's essentially been an average pitcher the last 3 years with potential to be more than that. He's a better option than Cashner(assuming he continues the terrible approach he used last year).

Page 47 of 73 FirstFirst ... 37454647484957 ... LastLast