Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Mike Harris Speaks About Congenital Brain Condition That Forced Early Retirement

http://www.twincities.com/2017/09/26...etirement/amp/

Scary stuff, but glad that Harris is doing well now and that he's content with his lot in life.

Thanks for posting this because I had totally forgotten about the issues that plagued him. I'm glad he is doing well and it is sad that he can not participate in football anymore. He was one of the bright spots for our OL at the time and I felt he was getting better.

Good luck Mike and nothing but prayers for continued good health.

Kudos for posting such discussion. Maybe it belongs in one of the topic threads for general discussion.

This is another issue facing the NFL and I thought this may have been the driving force behind lost ratings last season. Studies, if believed, point to the Kap kneeling. Recent autopsy of Hernandez showed advanced stages of CTE and he didn't even play that long.

The NFL does not like to talk about this thorny issue and I've noticed ESPN and even local radio hosts refuse to speak of it and when callers try to bring it up and even mention the book/movie (I read the book) Concussion, they plead total and utter ignorance. I suspect NFL widespread cover-up on this topic. Unprovable but based on my observation, I'm more than suspicious.

They can't prevent concussions and are doing their best only to minimize through some tackling form and cutting down kickoff returns. Punt returns will be next with mandatory fair-catches.

I'll say this, my kids will NOT play football. No how, no way. And I am currently battling a close friend who was a HS football star who is ignoring everything about this because he's always dreamed of having a son star in football. His son is 3 and already knows how to catch, run and even protect the ball. As you can guess, he doesn't like me coming over as I might spew something related to this topic with his wife present.

I've got friends who have had their kids in tackle football since they were 8. My son is 9 and is playing his first shot at flag football. I have not decided what road I'll take if he decides he wants to play tackle. I always thought he could wait until 9th grade or so.

One of my friends is in complete denial of CTE and honestly thinks its a make up thing. I just tell him I can't have this conversation because that is completely ludicrous.

Quote Originally Posted by pacofunk64 View Post
    I've got friends who have had their kids in tackle football since they were 8. My son is 9 and is playing his first shot at flag football. I have not decided what road I'll take if he decides he wants to play tackle. I always thought he could wait until 9th grade or so.

One of my friends is in complete denial of CTE and honestly thinks its a make up thing. I just tell him I can't have this conversation because that is completely ludicrous.
    I cant really tell you what to do lol, but my son is not playing football . I still have a long time until i have to explain myself because he is 3 mo. lol.

Your friend....has CTE
    gotta love 'referential' treatment

Quote Originally Posted by SiteWolf View Post
    Your friend....has CTE
    lol that might explain a lot.

Mike's condition doesn't really have anything to do with CTE but I agree CTE is no joke. My feelings are that there are a lot of careers that can leave you disabled for life. As long as players are fully aware of what they are doing (which I think they are even if the league is being hush hush about it) then I see no moral conflict. What all these things have changed in my mind though is that I now root for players to get as much money as they can because it can all be taken away so quickly.

Teddy "Throwsevelt" Bridgewater

Quote Originally Posted by CubbyJoe View Post
    Mike's condition doesn't really have anything to do with CTE but I agree CTE is no joke. My feelings are that there are a lot of careers that can leave you disabled for life. As long as players are fully aware of what they are doing (which I think they are even if the league is being hush hush about it) then I see no moral conflict. What all these things have changed in my mind though is that I now root for players to get as much money as they can because it can all be taken away so quickly.
    Well they should get as much money just simply due to the fact that these owners make billions off of them. Salaries are chump change. But yes when you add in the injury factor they deserve that money to entertain guys like me.

Quote Originally Posted by CubbyJoe View Post
    Really? A LOT of careers that leave one disabled for life? And this somehow diminishes the fact that players are risking their livelihood? No. That's a non-starter. Nice try. Most everyone sits at a desk in a safe environment. Most everyone. Those that are in handling positions have OSHA safety standards that are mandatory. I can't speak for coal miners, which are a small minority, or other manual laborers, but I would expect that labor unions and safety regulations minimize the risk. This is 2017. I don't believe there are a LOT of hazardous careers in this day.

As for as complicity for the league, you are assuming that the players are being educated on all risks. Do you work for the league? Are you aware of the programs that outline such awareness? Unless you are, I don't believe that you can speak for the NFL on this matter. Feel free to provide some data backing up that point but to gloss over by "claiming" that there are so many other dangerous professions somehow making this okay doesn't fly.

To be frank, I don't like your message here. I know fans like yourself desperately try to validate their rooting interest for a vicious and crippling game but in the end, you're hopelessly dishonest with yourself and disingenuous to others. Would you send your son out there knowing the risks of brain trauma being so great?
    Last edited by Ex-Jets Fan; 09-29-2017 at 08:01 AM.

Well they should get as much money just simply due to the fact that these owners make billions off of them. Salaries are chump change. But yes when you add in the injury factor they deserve that money to entertain guys like me.
    Agreed. the NFL is so greedy not to provide more guaranteed money for their players. The players union has no teeth whatsoever. Probably paid off to look the other way on matters. Football makes more revenue than all other major sports combined yet they still greedily squeeze as much as they can even knowing that these guys are mentally vegetative when they finish their careers.

Quote Originally Posted by Ex-Jets Fan View Post
    Really? A LOT of careers that leave one disabled for life? And this somehow diminishes the fact that players are risking their livelihood? No. That's a non-starter. Nice try. Most everyone sits at a desk in a safe environment. Most everyone. Those that are in handling positions have OSHA safety standards that are mandatory. I can't speak for coal miners, which are a small minority, or other manual laborers, but I would expect that labor unions and safety regulations minimize the risk. This is 2017. I don't believe there are a LOT of hazardous careers in this day.

As for as complicity for the league, you are assuming that the players are being educated on all risks. Do you work for the league? Are you aware of the programs that outline such awareness? Unless you are, I don't believe that you can speak for the NFL on this matter. Feel free to provide some data backing up that point but to gloss over by "claiming" that there are so many other dangerous professions somehow making this okay doesn't fly.

To be frank, I don't like your message here. I know fans like yourself desperately try to validate their rooting interest for a vicious and crippling game but in the end, you're hopelessly dishonest with yourself and disingenuous to others. Would you send your son out there knowing the risks of brain trauma being so great?
    Dude you take things to 11 real quick. Like slow your role man. I said IF they know the dangers of playing the game then I am ok watching them play. Now my assumption is they know these things because WE know these things. Players aren't stupid, they've seen the medical studies.

If your so against what these guys are (willingly mind you) doing to themselves then why do you follow football?

Teddy "Throwsevelt" Bridgewater

Quote Originally Posted by Ex-Jets Fan View Post

You have heard of google right?