Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 4 of 28 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
    It is possible to build a team with a relatively low payroll consisting of mostly young players who are not yet signed to big contracts. However, that is really threading a needle.
    If that is the plan, you can pretty much forget about winning another championship.

I would like to see the Sox keep Abreu and Avi and start spending some money to build this team. I do not think we can predict that the Sox will competitive in 2019, 2020, or on any timetable. What if we lay back for 2-3 years in terms of our fan expectations but then, in 2020, we end up with a .500 team, at best. Then what? Tear it down, tank and start another 5-10 year rebuilding plan?

There has to be a more sustainable plan to remain reasonably competitive over time.
    Last edited by garypeters; 10-10-2017 at 08:20 PM.

I think you have to be frugal in 2018 and maybe sign a couple of vets to fill gaps for a year and go full throttle in 2019 .....all in again....

White Sox & Redskins Forever

I Guess I have a problem thinking WE the Sox can just turn it on say in 2019 and field a good team

I believe we should start NOW

Add some GOOD vets..bring up the kids so they can see what it takes...Rookies just don't ALL get it their first year...see Moncada

And yes we had Sale Quintana Eaton and they didn't win...BUT do you really believe these specs we got are going to be as good as SALE, or Q, Geez I hope so

we may get 2 or 3 good players out of these trades..and may draft another ...THAT still leaves us short of contention

IF Sale Q and Eaton were FreeAgents this offseason they would be the 3 best available and demand HUGE dollars

everytime we swing at a big free agent we end up with like our #3 choice instead..see Melky..

Why can't we just ride it out and see what we have in these young prospects? We've sucked for a while trying to patch a team together. I can wait a few more years to build what could be a foundation for long-term success. Be patient.

i dont think we should just throw money around in '18.

in '18 we need to see what we truly have in:
    Avi, Gio, Lopez, Delmonico, Moncada, Anderson, Rodon.
    '18 will also have some other players like Kopech come up later in the year but we need '19 to see what we have in:
    Kopech, Hansen, Jimenez, Collins, etc...

IMO '20 is when we need to start throwing money to FAs to fill in our needs. Or, trade some of our assets in order to fill said needs.

My expectation is that we look like the Astros of last year in 2020 and this years Astros in 2021.

IF NEXT YEAR IS ANOTHER TANK SEASON THEN WHY NOT TRY SOMETHING IN THE RULE 5 DRAFT
    Rule 5 Eligible Prospects

CUBS
    Chesny Young | Rank: 16 (Team: Iowa Cubs (AAA) ETA: 2018 Position: 2B/SS/OF Age: 25 Young makes line-drive contact with ease, thanks to his fabulous hand-eye coordination, simple right-handed swing and quality approach /A third baseman in college, Young has played all four infield spots and both outfield corners as a pro. His sure hands make him a reliable defender at any spot,
    BRAVES
    Travis Demeritte | Rank: 13 (Team: Mississippi Braves (AA) ETA: 2018 Position: 2B/3B Age: 23 Demeritte has shown legitimate power, using plus bat speed to help generate it. With that power has come an extremely high strikeout rate, albeit accompanied by some ability to draw walks
    YANKEES
    Domingo Acevedo | Rank: 6Team: Trenton Thunder (AA) ETA: 2018 Position: RHP Age: 23 Acevedo has thrown as hard as 103 mph and usually operates at 95-100. His 6-foot-7 frame and low three-quarters delivery create a difficult angle, especially for right-handers, unclear if he'll remain a starter.his fastball could make him a closer
    Jake Cave | Rank: 18 (Team: Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders (AAA) ETA: 2017 Position: OF Age: 24 Cave's solid speed and average arm allow him to play all three outfield positions He has hit for average throughout the Minors, making consistent hard contact and using the entire field. HIT .324 OBP .367 IN AAA
    ASTROS
    Jon Kemmer AGE 26Positions: Outfielder, First Baseman and Designated Hitter Bts: Left Throws: Left HIT .286 OBP .364 16 HRS IN 86 GAMES

THESE ARE SOME OF THE BEST THAT ARE PREDICTED TO BE AVAILABLE..

Certainly a couple there are interesting....

I'd take a shot at any of them, why not? 2018 is about developing talent.
    1985 Bears
    2005 White Sox
    2010 Blackhawks
    1991 Bulls

1981 Sting

Other than (perhaps) Eli and Robert, what position players in the Sox system can be projected out several years as All Star level players who could potentially become a part of a championship team ? And would they arrive in time to be in the same line-up with Abreu, Avi and Tim Anderson?

Who will be our third basemen when the crescendo of talent from our system arrives?

Well, you would include Moncada in that, and if Collins can step up the defense and contact....he might be. Rutherford , Adolfo, and Gavin Sheets are possibilities too.

Burger is the best hope at 3B right now, although I could see a trade or FA signing there.
    Last edited by coconut; 10-22-2017 at 11:12 AM.

I see Burger moving to 1B and hopefully the Sox signing Machado to play 3B next offseason.

OK Im not following the reasoning here...WE move Burger off his position to 1st base..We hope Collins can become a big league catcher

WHY NOT just move Collins to 1st????Collins has the bat to profile at first base, which is helpful because scouts aren't sold that he'll be able to stay behind the plate. Chicago believes in him as a catcher and he did improve during his junior season at Miami, but he still needs a lot of work. He isn't very fluid, which detracts from his average arm strength, and his receiving and blocking skills are spotty.

SO Collins might end up being a BAT only catcher that we all will be saying PUT HIM AT DH in a year or two..

Burger scouts out as a 3rd baseman and has a power bat leave him there..WE will not spend 300M to sign a top free agent..Dream on

this rebuild thing we depend on the pitchers we got..sprinkle in a few average plus position players then we will go back to our old SOX ways of signing the 2nd or 3rd choice free agents and they will try and sell us that its Veteran leadership to surround the young studs..

I have both read and seen a lot of Collins working behind the plate. He has made great strides and has become a pretty good catcher, they want him to stay there. I believe he will be a above average catcher for the Sox.

Quote Originally Posted by DaSox_05 View Post
    I have both read and seen a lot of Collins working behind the plate. He has made great strides and has become a pretty good catcher, they want him to stay there. I believe he will be a above average catcher for the Sox.
    Plus we have a lot of !B ,DH types on the team and in the pipeline....

Page 4 of 28 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast