Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Question for Indian fans about old ball park.

Yankee fan hoping a Cleveland fan can back me up on this.

Do any of you remember the Indian statue just behind the umpire in the old Municipal Stadium? I was telling someone that I remember seeing it on t.v. back in the 60's and they said I was dreaming. The statue was about three feet tall. It would rise out of the ground and it's body was filled with new baseballs. The ump would grab a few handfuls for his ball bag and back down it went.

Thanks and enjoy the off season. Ours will be starting sooner than later.
    'Real' Yankee fans tell the truth about the team whether it is nice or not.

"Well, that kind of puts a damper on even a Yankee win."
    -- Yankees announcer Phil Rizzuto after reading a bulletin that Pope Paul VI had died

Quote Originally Posted by 7chuck7 View Post
    Yankee fan hoping a Cleveland fan can back me up on this.

Do any of you remember the Indian statue just behind the umpire in the old Municipal Stadium? I was telling someone that I remember seeing it on t.v. back in the 60's and they said I was dreaming. The statue was about three feet tall. It would rise out of the ground and it's body was filled with new baseballs. The ump would grab a few handfuls for his ball bag and back down it went.

Thanks and enjoy the off season. Ours will be starting sooner than later.
    If there could be a footage, it might help us see if the statue is there. I hope someone can confirm this.

Quote Originally Posted by moondust View Post
    If there could be a footage, it might help us see if the statue is there. I hope someone can confirm this.
    Wow...a response...thank you. I had stopped checking. I don't know how you could find footage. If enough old-timer Indian fans are asked by you young fans I am sure at least a few people will remember it. It really was very cool. My guess is that when the old stadium was torn down someone grabbed it for a nice Indian team/stadium keepsake and it's probably sitting proudly in someone's 'man cave'. I live in New England so I can't reach out to people in your area like I would like to. Maybe I could try the Sports Dept. in a Cleveland newspaper. Please advise which paper would be best for me to contact. My memory is pretty good and I remember seeing it on t.v. in the mid 60's.

I really love the cool things that have made our ballparks past and present such fun places to visit and see. Surely the rising, Indian ball holder is high on the list.

Thanks for tolerating this thread. One baseball fan to another.
    Chuck

p.s. Plus I have a $50 bet with my brother who swears I will never find out and I can't wait to get his money! lol but true
    'Real' Yankee fans tell the truth about the team whether it is nice or not.

"Well, that kind of puts a damper on even a Yankee win."
    -- Yankees announcer Phil Rizzuto after reading a bulletin that Pope Paul VI had died