3. Chubb RB

My best off season scenario

Resign
    Jimmy, Tank, Reid, and Fusco

Sign
    Landry, Gabriel, Ziggy, and center Weston Richburg

Draft
    1st- CB Jackson
    2nd- LB Malik Jefferson/ Rashaan Evans (trade up with our 4th if need be)
    3rd- RB Rashaad Penny
    3rd- G Braden Smith (or a C that can swing at G)

Defense would be stacked with the top FA edge rusher, top CB in draft, and a solid ILB to put next to foster. Offense would be loaded with a extremely strong and deep WR core, younger upgrade at C, and Penny would be a beast splitting carries with Breada and Joe Williams. Smith would give us a starting caliber G to compete.

March 6 is the franchise tag deadline. We will see if they tag ziggy

Quote Originally Posted by rapjuicer06 View Post
    In an offense where the ball comes out quickly, you donít need the line to be ďeliteĒ so to speak. Serviceable guys on the line will be just fine, no need to draft a Guard with our first pick when there will be pass rush and secondary help available. Guards can be had in the later rounds like always.
    I disagree. An extremely important part of Kyle Shanahan's offense play action. In order to have sustainable success running play action, you have to have a legitimate rushing attack. Improving the offensive line will improve the rushing attack and protect Jimmy. It's not a coincidence that the Falcons took things to another level under Shanahan when they improved their interior offensive line by adding Alex Mack.

Quote Originally Posted by Lakers211221 View Post
    I disagree. An extremely important part of Kyle Shanahan's offense play action. In order to have sustainable success running play action, you have to have a legitimate rushing attack. Improving the offensive line will improve the rushing attack and protect Jimmy. It's not a coincidence that the Falcons took things to another level under Shanahan when they improved their interior offensive line by adding Alex Mack.
    But the play action also helps with the pass rush. Get a top center then, no need to draft a guard in the top 10-11 picks. That's just a complete waste, even if he's the best guard in the NFL, I wouldn't select that in the top 10-11 of the draft.

Adding a center is completely different than a guard. A center calls out the line adjustments, has a more important relationship with the Qb, and even then, I wouldn't draft a Center in the top 10 either.

Guard is a need, I get that. But CB and pass rush is a bigger need at more important positions.

LT/RT/C/RG/LG - that is the order of importance for offensive line. Guard doesn't warrant a top 10 pick. If we drafted Nelson, then I'd most likely be ok with it, but that would mean we took care of the other needs. When you have talent at the skilled level positions available in the draft, you have to take that. Even if it comes down to Jackson/Fitzpatrick/Chubb/Barkley/Sutton/Ward are all gone, that means someone very important has dropped and someone will want to trade up for them. Hell, I'd be perfectly fine selecting James or Smith in the first round where we are selecting.
    Quote Originally Posted by heimdog8 View Post
    I didn't want to throw this information out here. I was a 3 year varsity starter at QB in high school. I played quarterback in junior college as well. I was considering playing division 1 football as well but chose to pursue my career in business instead. However, currently I am helping train with Derek Carr from Fresno State get ready for his pro day and the draft. I am also working with Cody Kessler, the USC quarterback.

The line HAS to be a priority. In free agency and in the draft. Ideally they sign Norwell as a free agent and add a G/C and a T in the top half/middle of the draft. They also need to either re-sign Kilgore or find a free agent C they like more but frankly I don't see any out there that would be worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by RedandGold_35 View Post
    I'm not sure the offense is built that way completely. Alot of the quick passing is likely a byproduct of the lack of protection.
    Possibly. Getting Brown back could also help with that.
    I didn't want to throw this information out here. I was a 3 year varsity starter at QB in high school. I played quarterback in junior college as well. I was considering playing division 1 football as well but chose to pursue my career in business instead. However, currently I am helping train with Derek Carr from Fresno State get ready for his pro day and the draft. I am also working with Cody Kessler, the USC quarterback.

Quote Originally Posted by rapjuicer06 View Post
    But the play action also helps with the pass rush. Get a top center then, no need to draft a guard in the top 10-11 picks. That's just a complete waste, even if he's the best guard in the NFL, I wouldn't select that in the top 10-11 of the draft.

Adding a center is completely different than a guard. A center calls out the line adjustments, has a more important relationship with the Qb, and even then, I wouldn't draft a Center in the top 10 either.

Guard is a need, I get that. But CB and pass rush is a bigger need at more important positions.

LT/RT/C/RG/LG - that is the order of importance for offensive line. Guard doesn't warrant a top 10 pick. If we drafted Nelson, then I'd most likely be ok with it, but that would mean we took care of the other needs. When you have talent at the skilled level positions available in the draft, you have to take that. Even if it comes down to Jackson/Fitzpatrick/Chubb/Barkley/Sutton/Ward are all gone, that means someone very important has dropped and someone will want to trade up for them. Hell, I'd be perfectly fine selecting James or Smith in the first round where we are selecting.
    Play action only helps with the pass rush when you are having success running the ball. I agree with you that edge rusher and CB are bigger needs. I think that we will address CB in free agency. It's a strong CB group in free agency. I'm not sure that a top 10 pick edge rusher (aside from Key) will be there when we pick. If Chubb is there, by all means take him. If they are comfortable with Key's red flags, by all means take him.

I suppose we will just have to wait and see.

Quote Originally Posted by Lakers211221 View Post
    Play action only helps with the pass rush when you are having success running the ball. I agree with you that edge rusher and CB are bigger needs. I think that we will address CB in free agency. It's a strong CB group in free agency. I'm not sure that a top 10 pick edge rusher (aside from Key) will be there when we pick. If Chubb is there, by all means take him. If they are comfortable with Key's red flags, by all means take him.
    I agree. The OL HAS to be a priority. Jimmy G was great, but he also threw 5 INTs in part because he was having to hurry so much.

Norwell and Fuller in hour 1 of free agency then draft a G/C and a T to develop.

Rap - I think I'm all in on Ziggy btw. I'm thinking HE should be target #1 in the offseason.

In order:

1. Ziggy
    2. Norwell/Jansen
    3. Johnson/Fuller
    4. A Robinson

I'm sure I'll change my mind about everything tomorrow. Haha.
    Last edited by Lloyd Christmas; 01-18-2018 at 01:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd Christmas View Post
    Rap - I think I'm all in on Ziggy btw. I'm thinking HE should be target #1 in the offseason.

In order:

1. Ziggy
    2. Norwell/Jansen
    3. Johnson/Fuller
    4. A Robinson

I'm sure I'll change my mind about everything tomorrow. Haha.
    Big money to Ziggy should be a priority. 28, has probably 3-4 very good years left, then can be a situational pass rusher after that.

If we get Ziggy and a solid CB Iíd be ok with going after Nelson in the draft.

Our offensive line isnít great, but when healthy is decent. Great LT, good RT, Iím fully expecting Garnett to come back and be very solid. Draft Daniels in the 2nd round and we have our upgrade at Center. Fusco and Tomlinson can battle it out for the other Guard spot. Then take R. Smith with our first pick. Draft depth at Guard and Tackle.

Defense will be much improved.

Offense will be healthy, which will make it much improved.

JG, Hyde, Fusco, Kilgore are the FAs Iím bringing back.

Big money on Ziggy and T. Johnson in FA.

Draft R. Smith OLB, Daniels C, Lazard WR, B. Smith G (sleeper pick)

JG
    Hyde/Breida
    Juice
    GarÁon/Goodwin/Taylor/Lazard/Bourne
    Kittle/Celek
    Staley/Garnett/Daniels/Smith/Brown with Kilgore and Fusco or Tomlinson and Beadles

Armstead/Thomas/Buckner/Ziggy (I still think Buckner can redefine the ďNTĒ spot)
    R.Smith/Foster/Harold
    Johnson/Tartt/Colbert/Witherspoon/Williams

Improved all around team with solid depth

Mel Kiper's mock was release and though I didn't pay to see the full mock, 95.7 went through the top 10.

1. Cleveland - Josh Allen, QB Wyoming
    2. New York Giants - Josh Rosen, QB UCLA
    3. Indianapolis - Bradley Chubb, DE NC State
    4. Cleveland - Saquon Barkley, RB Penn State
    5. Denver - Sam Darnold, QB USC

Thats all I remember. He had the 49ers taking Denzel Ward at #9 and the Raiders with Roquan Smith at #10.

This might be the first offseason me and Rap agree on things. If we complete our defense with the upgrades to the CB, EDGE, and LB we will be scary a top 5 defense easily. Ziggy (which I think might go back to the Lions), Johnson, and Roquan would be my top 3 offseason option to fill these roles.

The offense on the other hand is kind of wierd to look at other that QB, TE, and FB

OT- we should be good this upcoming season but Staley will be 34 and Father Time is ticking on him. Seeing that he has been keeping his self in top shape every year he should do well this year but maybe this is the year he begins to take a small step backwards.

OG- Tomlinson and Fusco graded decent, but Garnett was injuried and we could be better than both. Or he could be worse, and we still have decent starting.

C- Kilgore played awful grading out at 51%. We have to upgrade this position. Ryan Jensen & Weston Richburg are Both younger and better options in FA.

WR- GarÁon is good but he is getting to a point that he will start declining soon so his replacement is needed sooner rather than later. Goodwin and Taylor look to be locked in the roster for years to come. But after that itís fuzzy. We need to be grooming a rookie this year and another real weapon would be ideal. Landry is a guy I want but will probably cost more than I want to spend on a WR. Gabriel is a easy target. I think we get Gabriel and a rookie in the 3rd or 4th and let the guys from last year slug it out for the last spot.

HB- Hyde had moments, Breida showed very well we given the opportunity, and Joe Williams is still a wild card. Hyde will probably be given a number that is low and told to go test the market. Iím not sold that Breida can carry the load as the top back. This will probably be a committee back field next year unless Barkley magically falls in our lap.

Quote Originally Posted by WestCoastSportz View Post
    Mel Kiper's mock was release and though I didn't pay to see the full mock, 95.7 went through the top 10.

1. Cleveland - Josh Allen, QB Wyoming
    2. New York Giants - Josh Rosen, QB UCLA
    3. Indianapolis - Bradley Chubb, DE NC State
    4. Cleveland - Saquon Barkley, RB Penn State
    5. Denver - Sam Darnold, QB USC

Thats all I remember. He had the 49ers taking Denzel Ward at #9 and the Raiders with Roquan Smith at #10.
    Meh, Kiper is my least trusted draftnik. Give me Mayock and DJ any day.