Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 21 of 21 FirstFirst ... 11192021
    Quote Originally Posted by pebloemer View Post
    I agree that it is unlikely they deal Osuna. The argument of whether or not they "should" is an interesting one, but hard to debate with only one side of a "trade idea" to contemplate. Any trade is valued against what you get in return.

I am interested what they decide to do with the middle of the field. The combination of Tulowitzki, Martin, Travis and Pillar was once a source of excitement. Between durability issues and lack of production those positions must be better next year. Obviously with big contracts, change won't be easy, nor are those positions easy to fill
    As we discussed at length, the only area I can see an upgrade happening is at 2B. Tulo and Martin are irreplaceable in the lineup as we have seen this past season. It would be bad management to trade away these players if they could when their values are at an all time low. There is nothing to suggest that their value will be worse this coming season, so you roll the dice and hope they come closer to what they were a couple of years ago. If at that time a rebuild is needed then you trade them, but it would be counter productive to trade players that have more value to your team then they do on the open market. You cant replace them internally and there is not externally in FA or trade that wont cost you just as much without any guarantee you are getting them.

Pillar to me is a main stay in the OF. No reason at all to remove him. But 2B... this is where it gets interesting. There will be 2 interesting options on the trade market this winter, Dee Brown from the Marlins and Kipnis from the Indians. Either or of these players fit in really nicely to what type of lineup we should be going for. Younger, speed, and left handed bats. If there is any way we can unload Morales, and pick up one of these guys it would be great.

Then focus on a power bat OF with speed and good defense. Maybe in FA or trade.

Quote Originally Posted by Daboyz View Post
    As we discussed at length, the only area I can see an upgrade happening is at 2B. Tulo and Martin are irreplaceable in the lineup as we have seen this past season. It would be bad management to trade away these players if they could when their values are at an all time low. There is nothing to suggest that their value will be worse this coming season, so you roll the dice and hope they come closer to what they were a couple of years ago. If at that time a rebuild is needed then you trade them, but it would be counter productive to trade players that have more value to your team then they do on the open market. You cant replace them internally and there is not externally in FA or trade that wont cost you just as much without any guarantee you are getting them.

Pillar to me is a main stay in the OF. No reason at all to remove him. But 2B... this is where it gets interesting. There will be 2 interesting options on the trade market this winter, Dee Brown from the Marlins and Kipnis from the Indians. Either or of these players fit in really nicely to what type of lineup we should be going for. Younger, speed, and left handed bats. If there is any way we can unload Morales, and pick up one of these guys it would be great.

I ABSOLUTELY DISAGREE, at their ages,the values of Tulo and Martin are just as likely if not moreso to decline than they are to appreciate, the days of PEDS and HGH reversing or delaying the aging curve are over....A perfectly relevant example of this is Bautista

none of us want it to happen, but once the decine phase starts at these ages, its much more likely to see it continue than it is to see it level out or even less likely to reverse.

their values are not at an all-time low, they will be lower in the future, of that there is no question. The only question is WHEN It will be lower, NOT IF it will be, Branch Rickey the old time great GM once said:

"I would rather Trade a player a year too early rather than a year too late."

he also said:

"Things worthwhile generally donít just happen. Luck is a fact, but should not be a factor. Good luck is what is left over after intelligence and effort have combined at their best. Negligence or indifference are usually reviewed from an unlucky seat. The law of cause and effect and causality both work the same with inexorable exactitudes. Luck is the residue of design."

Sitting back and doing nothing while a middle-aged player ages, hoping their value goes up isnt a Plan, its buying time, hoping that in the interim somebody comes up with a better plan
    Last edited by mikepelfrey; 10-17-2017 at 10:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Daboyz View Post

I'm all on board with Morales getting moved. I admit being pleased with a left handed bat in the line up when they signed him, but the term is problematic - especially with Smoak emerging this year. Morales being moved could help free things up a bit.

Devon Travis might be the must intriguing guy of the off-season for me. He was on the FAN 590 this week and as a fan I admit he is such a likeable athlete that I root for to succeed. The talent is there. The need at 2B is there. It's just all the health. I'd love to know the confidence of the medical staff in his ability to avoid any more setbacks.

Personally, I'm I've been down on Pillar for a while now. I think we can get strong defense from the internal options. I doubt his offense ever comes around. I'd prefer give a guy like Alford at bats.

Quote Originally Posted by pebloemer View Post
    I'm all on board with Morales getting moved. I admit being pleased with a left handed bat in the line up when they signed him, but the term is problematic - especially with Smoak emerging this year. Morales being moved could help free things up a bit.

Devon Travis might be the must intriguing guy of the off-season for me. He was on the FAN 590 this week and as a fan I admit he is such a likeable athlete that I root for to succeed. The talent is there. The need at 2B is there. It's just all the health. I'd love to know the confidence of the medical staff in his ability to avoid any more setbacks.

Personally, I'm I've been down on Pillar for a while now. I think we can get strong defense from the internal options. I doubt his offense ever comes around. I'd prefer give a guy like Alford at bats.
    AMEN ON ALFORD, if theres one thing w need more of its athleticism

I still have a feeling pillar has a breakout in him. I actually think he should look into getting a script for aderoll of some comparable. When he is focused on what he is doing he has great months, but then he starts to focus on the ball rather than his approach and reverts back to his old mistakes. There is untapped potential with the bat there.

You don't necessarily need to trade Pillar to open up time for Alford. I think they can co exist. I think Pillar has a .330 wOBA season in him. It's a shame he couldn't maintain the plate discipline he showed in April all year.

I don't know, Pillar is going to be 29 next year and his defence is already starting to fall off. When it becomes a non factor is value will be nil. I think if you can get something decent for him (ie a nice BP piece) I would do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Kenny Powders View Post
    I don't know, Pillar is going to be 29 next year and his defence is already starting to fall off. When it becomes a non factor is value will be nil. I think if you can get something decent for him (ie a nice BP piece) I would do it.
    I'm really hopeful that having Alford and Hernandez, two young and athletic guys, and most importantly exuberant and fresh guys will reinvigorate the team and give Pillar a new outlook on things, having young guys like that can be infectious. We need that. We need that alot. The attitude of this team was stale, almost resigned this year. We need some youthful joy and exuberance so badly.
    Last edited by mikepelfrey; 10-19-2017 at 05:13 PM.

Do you really think Alford and Hernandez will both be on the opening day roster next year? I think Hernandez will be, but I don't think Alford will be. They didn't even call him up in September last year when they could have. He will likely be the first guy in the minors serving as OF depth in case of injury.

Tulo is 33 and Martin is 34. This is far from Bautista being 37. Bautista gave us some his better years at age 34 and 35. To say Tulo and Martin are not going to have a better season this coming year is a crap shoot. I would take that bet that they increase their value this season. Martin is still one of the best game calling catchers in the game and manages the staff really well. Tulo started the season really well this past season until injuries hit. When healthy he is still one of the best SS in the game offensively and defensively.

In the end I don't disagree that unloading these contracts would be ideal in the right deal. But I just don't think anything of significance can be gained dealing them now. I would rather gamble with them to start season and if things go sour then unload them if you can. But at this point its pointless. Not with JD, Smoak, and Morales still on your team. The reward has potential to out weight the risk at this point.

Page 21 of 21 FirstFirst ... 11192021