Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Thread: 2017 MLB Draft

2017 MLB Draft

Just a place to talk about the upcoming picks in the draft over the next couple days.

Here's my top 10
    1)P/SS Hunter Greene
    2)P Kyle Wright
    3)P MacKenzie Gore
    4)P/1B Brenden McKay
    5)P JB Bakaukas
    6)P Shane Baz
    7)P Alex Faedo
    8)1B Pavin Smith
    9)OF Austin Beck
    10)P Drew Peterson

I'm not excited about any of the top bats, I think there are a lot of nice arms and some good athletes but this draft lack sure fire middle of the order bats.

I follow a few folks on twitter who write for some of the prospect blogs and there doesn't seem to be a ton of excitement around this draft. From what one of them said, he thinks the top 4-5 guys are in line with the top 4-5 in previous drafts, but it falls pretty quickly after that.

A lot of the buzz I've heard is the brewers are rumored to have been heavily in on Jo Adell, a high school outfielder. So if I had to guess, I'd guess he'd be the pick. Some mocks say if he doesn't go to the brewers, he could fall into the 20s, so I wonder if they think they can get a bit of a discount on him and use some of that money later on in the draft, kind like we did with gatewood and Harrison.

You shouldn't really reach for need in any draft, but the MLB draft is probably the one where you really should always go BPA. So while it would be a little annoying to see us grab another elite athlete, toolsy OF, if he's the right guy, then I'm all for it. That being said, I hope we have Alex Faedo ranked highly. I'd be excited about that pick, but then again, I don't know a ton about the prospects.

1(9) 2B/OF Keston Hiura I reach value wise, he likely will need Tommy John. He has a nice bat and I would assume will take a below slot bonus. I keep thinking he will be like Kolten Wong, a nice player but that injury makes it hard for me to like this pick.

1cb(34) OF Tristen Lutz A big HS power hitter, good value at this spot. I like this pick a lot more. Even though we don't need OF he was one of the top talents on the board. I like this pick because he definitely could be a middle of the order bat.

2(46)P Kaden Lemons 6'6" HS pitcher who is 175 pounds. He looks really athletic from the couple videos, he may be a way of but I can see some of the ace potential. He thows 91 ish and reached 96 when the Brewers scouted him, put on 50 pounds on and he could be a beast.

Since we likely saved money on the 1st pick and the other 2 players will be at or slightly above slot we should have a couple picks we can gamble on and pick some high potential players on day 2.

I like the first pick. Tommy John would suck, just because it would be quite a bit of time away. But it's far from a death sentence, even for pitchers these days, so I'm not really worried about it. Sounds like he either sticks at 2nd or they have him play left. You don't need a cannon for either spot, so even if his arm isn't very strong, he should be fine, especially if he can hit like they think he can.

I like the first two picks in the sense that they add stuff we don't neccesarily have a ton of in the farm. A lot of the guys we've been taking recently have been really balanced, toolsy guys who may not have one elite attribute. Both the guys we took early this year are guys who just straight hit.

The more I think/read about keston, the more I like the pick. I read an article (I think on fangraphs) that calculated wRC for al college hitters, which should factor in parks and things like that to level the playing field a little. Huira ranked as the best wRC in all of college baseball. He and the guy in 2nd had a pretty big lead over the rest of the field as well.

So we got arguably the most productive hitter in all of college baseball. And from scouting reports, it sounds like the scouts agree that his hit tool is no joke, so he may be legitimately the best hitter, at least college hitter in the draft. And he did all of that despite being hurt.

And this is a point that one of the brewers bloggers made, but if he was healthy and showed the ability to play at least decent defense, he likely would have been a top 5 pick. And that's assuming his elbow injury didn't impact his hitting at all. It's possible his NCAA leading wRC could have been higher if he was healthy.

So all because of an injury that shouldn't impact him long term (Miguel sano had TJ and it doesn't appear to be impacting him at all), we potentially got a top 5 pick to fall to 9, but also a guy who may take an underslot deal to allow us to attack upside later in the draft. This could turn out to be an awesome pick.

I just worry he is going to miss most of next year and not be the same. I like that he will likely be a .300 hitter and that he will be under slot. It's clear that we are following the Cubs draft strategy during their rebuild of drafting the best college bat possible and finding high upside guys elsewhere. I don't mind this strategy but we won't have the cash like the cubs do to sign a couple top of the rotation guys.

I would rate the picks like this.
    Hiera A-/C If he doesn't need surgery this is a great pick if he does it is average at best.
    Lutz A- Love the upside will take a while however.
    Lemons B+ This is going to depend on how well his body takes to putting on 50 pounds or so.
    Harrison A- I think he is very likely to be a big leaguer, his bat is just a bit behind Hiera's (more power less average) in a tougher conference.
    Murphy B Good size and potential but not very athletic, I've never been a big fan a stiff pitchers.
    Egnatuk B+ A 60 power prospect in the 5th round is good value even if he isn't that highly ranked.
    Harrison B A good versatile fielder that makes contact sounds ok to me, I would like to see more speed from a light hitting 5'7" player.
    Last edited by jay87shot; 06-13-2017 at 03:43 PM.

I guess I don't see what the big deal is even if he has to have Tommy John. Quite a few positional guys have gone through it and returned fine. The recovery time for position players is less. And considering he's not a big leaguer next year, it's not a huge deal. Honestly, if he has the surgery within the next month, he can probably be back to hitting as a DH by the beginning of the minor league season next year. And can probably be back to playing the field by midway through the season at worst.

He was never going to play a vital defensive position any ways. He was always going to be a 2B of left fielder. Sure, a decent throwing arm is helpful, but not a detriment if he doesn't have a strong arm, especially if the guy is a .290 hitter who hits 15-20 homers a year like some think. If we can even play a passable 2nd base and his on base numbers are solid, those are borderline all star numbers at second.

My final point on the surgery is another point on sano. I googled him and found an article written about this time last year when sano was playing OF still. As of that article, sano had the second highest average throw velocity from the outfield.

Not the most data points, but the point is that his arm strength returned. I don't know if he's a 3rd baseman long term, but his arm isn't the problem. In today's day, Tommy John isn't a death wish. Maybe it delays his development half a year, but he already has an advanced hit tool and still probably gets to the majors as fast as most college guys anyhow.

Gleybar torres was diagnosed with a torn ucl and will undergo Tommy John. The press release from the Yankees seemed to indicate they expect him to be ready by spring training. Have to assume a similar timeframe for hiura if he undergoes surgery.

Assuming that's a similar timeframe, part of me wants them to sign him and just have him get the surgery. I'd hate to have him try to fight through it this year, rest it in the offseason and end up needing TJ surgery at the beginning of next year. Just have it now, shut him down for the year, and let him start next year fresh.

Edit: just read that it was the non-throwing arm for torres. So in theory huira may be ready to hit by next spring, but playing the field may be behind that a little ways. I still think I'm a fan of just getting it over with unless they are really, really confident in the injections.
    Last edited by crewfan13; 06-19-2017 at 03:56 PM.