Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Sterling Brown

Quote Originally Posted by MILLERHIGHLIFE View Post
    Brown sure got his minutes in the Pistons series. First game of the Celtics series he got heavy minutes but shot lousy. Then minutes dipped on rest of that series then garbage time for the Raptors series.

Even if he improves and becomes the starter this season. He's RFA next year. Probably end up losing him as well since we got money tied up to the other guys now. Also Giannis needs his max extension pronto then as well.

Worst case scenario is we build up Brown's stock. Then package him with Ersan at the trade deadline. Cause if some team offers him $10M per on a 4 year deal. Doubt we match next summer. So best to get something for him while we can.
    Next season we have +12M of cap space + 2M or dead cap becoming alive + 7M off Ilyasova expiring... Plenty to resign Browmn on a 5-6M annual rise... Giannis' contract isn't a problem either... We know we'll pay lux tax two seasons later and hope to take advantage of the lux tax threshold big rises (+ the 5M in dead cap becoming alive) that are coming, as to go back underneath the lux tax threshold 3 seasons later so that we can avoid risking to pay "repeater tax"... That (the repeater tax risk) is 5 seasons later from now... Just after Middleton's contract will have expired... Good timeline planning from Horst on this one...

Spotrac says we got $11.4M next year to the tax line. Even if you can get Brown back at your price of $5M per or $6M per. Would have to hope Matthews and Robin stay on player option and not beg for more. But i'm sure other ring chasers be ready to line up for vet minimum. But still have to watch for new contracts cause following years Wilson and DDV be due for new money as well if they breakout.

DDV would have to show he can stay healthy. Cause it seems if we got players that get injured we don't want them back. Parker/Brogdon to name the recent few injury guys we had. Still think if Brown gets $10M or more per he's gone. He would have to have a huge breakout season for us to keep him. He would have to turn into a Beal/Butler for us to keep him at all costs. Then we be back peddling to unload other contracts which we just gave out.

Spotrac says we got $11.4M next year to the tax line. Even if you can get Brown back at your price of $5M per or $6M per. Would have to hope Matthews and Robin stay on player option and not beg for more. But i'm sure other ring chasers be ready to line up for vet minimum. But still have to watch for new contracts cause following years Wilson and DDV be due for new money as well if they breakout.

DDV would have to show he can stay healthy. Cause it seems if we got players that get injured we don't want them back. Parker/Brogdon to name the recent few injury guys we had. Still think if Brown gets $10M or more per he's gone. He would have to have a huge breakout season for us to keep him. He would have to turn into a Beal/Butler for us to keep him at all costs. Then we be back peddling to unload other contracts which we just gave out.
    Sportac somehow misses 2M (probably they don't count that Spencer Hawes "dead money" goes off the books next season)... it's 13.4M which will rise to 20.4M if we refuse the team option to Ilyasova... it includes 2M of Brown's new contract included, so one must only add the difference of Sterling's new salary to the QO... It doesn't include the expirings (Korver & Connaughton) but includes 4.7M on Wilson...

this is correct: https://en.hispanosnba.com/salaries/milwaukee-bucks

Practically, if we can trade Wilson and Connaughton (+picks) for Sexton, the cap space for next season only rises 0.3M (Sexton is a little less than 5M next season) and we'll have one spot to fill this season and another two (for expiring Korver and Ilyasova) next season... The spot this season can be one of our 2-way and the two spots next season can be the other 2-way and Kostas... It will still mean some 16M of space before we renew Sterling...

We aren't in a bad position financially if compared to the other teams that are contending... Giannis renewal will be added in the books 3 season's later, when the lux tax threshold will be up to some ...170M.

We now have established our future by having very promising talent to supplement Giannis 2-3 seasons later and should now be looking to gradually upgrade the starting roster via trades...
    Last edited by buckalis; 07-28-2019 at 05:22 PM.

Sterling isn't getting $10 mill per year unless he takes a massive leap. And honestly, his minutes are far from guaranteed. He got benched in the post season. Even though brogdon is gone, he's still fighting for minutes with Matthews, korver, Pat and DDV. He may win the job and be a big contributor or he may actually play less minutes. He's a fine player but he's nothing special. I find it very unlikely that he takes a jump to get him to any offers in the $10 mill ballpark.

Quote Originally Posted by crewfan13 View Post
    Sterling isn't getting $10 mill per year unless he takes a massive leap. And honestly, his minutes are far from guaranteed. He got benched in the post season. Even though brogdon is gone, he's still fighting for minutes with Matthews, korver, Pat and DDV. He may win the job and be a big contributor or he may actually play less minutes. He's a fine player but he's nothing special. I find it very unlikely that he takes a jump to get him to any offers in the $10 mill ballpark.
    Brown isn't worth $10M per. But heck we raced out and got Sanders,Delly,Henson,Snell,Teletovic,Plumlee to crazy deals. But with us capped out. We cant afford to give out more bad contracts anyway.

Brown isn't worth $10M per. But heck we raced out and got Sanders,Delly,Henson,Snell,Teletovic,Plumlee to crazy deals. But with us capped out. We cant afford to give out more bad contracts anyway.
    I guess after the training camp Bud will decide who he needs more, both long term and short term...
    For short term, he has added Matthews and Korver, for long term, he has Middleton, DDV & Brown that can play all 1,2 & sb3 and Pat who can play 2&3... So a lot will depend on how he evaluates the players and what he judges our weaknesses are with respect to competition...

I expect that we will be very active on trades this season, we definitely will need a PG or a combo guard to add and perhaps empty a couple of roster spots so that we can move our (extremely promising) 2-ways on Mason and Reynolds to regular contracts...

I believe much will depend on how Bud values Bender in the training camp... If he values him high (which I'm confident will be the case) then obviously we don't need neither Ilyasova or Wilson, but I believe he will keep one of them to have for roster depth in case smth goes wrong (an injury or smth)... Given that Ilyasova is expiring and Wilson is set to make 4.7M next season while still in his rookie contract but also has more value on a trade, I believe that it will be Wilson that will be moved... Unless of course if he shows some "super-progress" in the training camp...

It will also depend on what the other side on a trade wants... If we go for an "expensive" contract, it may be that it will be Ilyasova who will be more valuable (as an expiring salary filler).... Or it may be both...

We definitely also have too many shooting guards to the extend we can't rotate them all... Since Korver and Matthews have been called for immediate help in shooting and Middleton will be a starter, one out of Brown or Connaughton must be moved... As I said before, much will depend on how Bud evaluates them on the training camp, but normally, it should be Brown that should be expected to have made more progress that Pat, given that he is younger and only coming off his sophomore season...

I therefore think that the first move on trades will be to move two out of Connaughton/Wilson or Brown/Ilyasova with the first being more probable, for a PG...

But it won't be the only move we will do... Even if we do land a PG and start the season with Bledsoe, Hill, Middleton, Giannis and Brolo being the starting roster, I believe there will be one or two more trades coming later, which will cause the starting roster to be better than last season...

Therefore, I won't be surprised if Bledsoe gets traded later in the season, Hill is moved to starting PG and there is a starting wing added to either SG or SF...

But first things first... It is adding a PG that should be our first priority...

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345