Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 22 of 33 FirstFirst ... 12202122232432 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by JaysLeafs98 View Post
    Not sure I'd do Kadri, but I do really like Slavin. Kruger is just awful.

I would try something smaller first, maybe go Kapanen+ a couple AHL guys like Aaltonen or Valiev for Jake Bean.

Wouldn't impact the current team, but we would have Bean/Dermott/Nielsen on the left side which could free up a Gardiner trade in the summer.

Kapanen could probably step into the Canes lineup anywhere and take Nordstrom or Di Giuseppe out.

Canes:
    LW: Aho, Teravainen,Skinner
    RW: Lindholm, Kapanen, Williams
    C: Staal, Rask
    LD: Slavin, Hanifin, Fleury
    RD: Faulk, Pesce
    G:

-4th line and 3rd RD are irrelevant with that group. A center and a good goaltender would make them a top team in the east for sure.

*Flyers and Canes are probably our best bet for a trade on D.
    I don't think Kapanen gets Bean only because the Canes seem to be deep on the wing. Look at that centre ice though. With Rask struggling, it looks even worse. I think they person the Canes trade with be a semi-big money Dman. Either Slavin for the big return or Faulk for the more modest return.

I do think Thornton takes Bozaks spot next season though.
    The Marleau contract part 2?
    9M
    6M
    4.5M (3.5M signing bonus)
    3 years, $6.5M per. The final year is the potential lockout year. He will be 42 years old, we pay him to waive to a cap-floor team and he rides into the sunset. Jumbo Joe is still racking up the points

Quote Originally Posted by OptiMized View Post
    I don't think Kapanen gets Bean only because the Canes seem to be deep on the wing. Look at that centre ice though. With Rask struggling, it looks even worse. I think they person the Canes trade with be a semi-big money Dman. Either Slavin for the big return or Faulk for the more modest return.

The Marleau contract part 2?
    9M
    6M
    4.5M (3.5M signing bonus)
    3 years, $6.5M per. The final year is the potential lockout year. He will be 42 years old, we pay him to waive to a cap-floor team and he rides into the sunset. Jumbo Joe is still racking up the points
    I would do that for Joe and make that last year all signing bonus, pay in full july 1st, trade him after and he gets lockout protection that way.

The only really bad side for this deal imo, other than losing a good soldier like Kadri who was signed for a steal, is that it makes us even easier to play against. Kadri adds edge to the team. Slavin and Kruger don't bring that. And the Leafs are really easy to play against physically right now. The question is: does Kadri for Slavin+Kruger improve us enough defensively to negate the loss of physicality?
    If Leafs are going to dangle Kadri, I would be going after Trouba. Jets need a C and Leafs could use Trouba on our backend.

Kapanen a healthy scratch tonight with the Marlies in Laval. have a day off tomorrow with a back to back on the weekend.

could be just to cover Leivo if he's not back with the team, but kind of strange that he travelled with the Marlies to Laval and then didn't play. trade coming perhaps?

Kapanen a healthy scratch tonight with the Marlies in Laval. have a day off tomorrow with a back to back on the weekend.

could be just to cover Leivo if he's not back with the team, but kind of strange that he travelled with the Marlies to Laval and then didn't play. trade coming perhaps?
    Probably not related but i just read on TheAthletic that Duclair has requested a trade. Obviously no way we make that 1 for 1 trade but Kapanen for Hammer+Duclair?

Quote Originally Posted by Cooshman View Post
    If Leafs are going to dangle Kadri, I would be going after Trouba. Jets need a C and Leafs could use Trouba on our backend.
    Kadri would be an upgrade for them but they just signed little to 5 years at $5.5 million. They'd have to move that contract which might not be easy to do. Not sure they'd want to mess with their team right now

I'm only interested in trades that involve adding a stud long-term piece to solidify the top 4 on D, or shipping out expirings/older players for youth. nothing else tickles my fancy.

The Ducks wing depth is pretty shot right now. Cogliano, Vermette, Ritchie and Wagner on the left-wing and combine for 20 goals this year. Do you guys see a deal there? I'd love to get Sam Steel.

The Ducks have Getzlaf, Kesler and Henrique down the middle so the need for a C like Steel may not be as needed in the next 3-4 years as going all-in during their Getz/Perry/Kes window.

JVR+Komarov would be obvious targets. JVR is obvious but a Komarov-Kesler-Perry line would be ridiculous and would be perfect for the west (i still remember Doughty trying to kill Leo). And because the Ducks are contenders with a window of 4-5 years and have the cap space, i think they would be able to re-sign them at favourable rates. Living in Cali plus i think they save $10,000 in tax per million compared to Toronto. It's not a huge savings but these are two guys that are looking for new deals worth millions.

The reason i suggest Steel and not Montour is because i don't think the Ducks are thrilled with losing Theodore and Montour looks just as good. Fowler - Manson, Lindholm - Montour is the perfect blend. Similarly, i think Steel+Marner would be a match made in heaven

The Ducks wing depth is pretty shot right now. Cogliano, Vermette, Ritchie and Wagner on the left-wing and combine for 20 goals this year. Do you guys see a deal there? I'd love to get Sam Steel.

The Ducks have Getzlaf, Kesler and Henrique down the middle so the need for a C like Steel may not be as needed in the next 3-4 years as going all-in during their Getz/Perry/Kes window.

JVR+Komarov would be obvious targets. JVR is obvious but a Komarov-Kesler-Perry line would be ridiculous and would be perfect for the west (i still remember Doughty trying to kill Leo). And because the Ducks are contenders with a window of 4-5 years and have the cap space, i think they would be able to re-sign them at favourable rates. Living in Cali plus i think they save $10,000 in tax per million compared to Toronto. It's not a huge savings but these are two guys that are looking for new deals worth millions.

The reason i suggest Steel and not Montour is because i don't think the Ducks are thrilled with losing Theodore and Montour looks just as good. Fowler - Manson, Lindholm - Montour is the perfect blend. Similarly, i think Steel+Marner would be a match made in heaven
    I've wanted Steel since the Ducks took him with the pick we gave them for Andersen. TSN Radio today said JvR would take a team friendly deal... for an 8 year term... I could take the goals but an already bad defensive player for 8 more years on that big frame is scary at any price. I would definitely entertain a deal around him. Would like to take a shot at Larsson or Pettersson as well.
    2015 Re-Draft Dream Team

Hall-Backes-Cammalleri
    Lupul-Bjugstad-Brown
    Rieder-Rakell-Hayes
    Jaskin-Jenner-Stempniak

McDonagh-Doughty
    Orpik-Jones
    Campbell-Gudbranson

Bernier
    Tokarski

I've wanted Steel since the Ducks took him with the pick we gave them for Andersen. TSN Radio today said JvR would take a team friendly deal... for an 8 year term... I could take the goals but an already bad defensive player for 8 more years on that big frame is scary at any price. I would definitely entertain a deal around him. Would like to take a shot at Larsson or Pettersson as well.
    I could see that working for the Ducks. JVR for 8 years at around $6 million. Saves about 300k in tax over the life of the deal and you would be living in Cali playing for a cup contender

I could see that working for the Ducks. JVR for 8 years at around $6 million. Saves about 300k in tax over the life of the deal and you would be living in Cali playing for a cup contender
    I wonder what a sign and trade JvR is worth?

I will never understand goalie value... Montoya has slightly better career numbers than Mcelhinney and gets the Habs a 5th rounder (unless Talbot blows or gets injured and Montoya plays 7 games) then it becomes a 4th.

we should have been all over that. clear a contract spot and get Sparky up here.

I will never understand goalie value... Montoya has slightly better career numbers than Mcelhinney and gets the Habs a 5th rounder (unless Talbot blows or gets injured and Montoya plays 7 games) then it becomes a 4th.

we should have been all over that. clear a contract spot and get Sparky up here.
    Montoya has been trash this year when he was healthier. His GAA and save percentage were not worth touching. He is a career journeyman for a reason.

Justin Bourne (leafs reporter for the Athletic) was on a podcast recently and dropped two little tidbits i didn't know.

1) Leafs were very close to hiring Boucher. I knew and had heard from the media reports that we were interested and were close to having him as coach but according to Bourne, Boucher had actually been to the Leaf facilities and giving his ideas on possible renovations. Once Babs called Shanny and agreed to the deal, Boucher was dropped.

2) Leafs wanted Matt Murray in the Kessel deal. Dubas was in charge of the Kessel deal, or one of the people in charge of the GM duties. Shanny, Hunter and Dubas were supposedly the ones making the calls (Hunter and Dubas were names interim co-GMs). Dubas wanted Murray in the deal because he was familiar with him from their time with the Soo. Rutherford made it clear that Murray and Pouliot were untouchable. We received Harrington, Kapanen and a 1st and apparently Rutherford was bragging like crazy about how he fleeced the Leafs. Shanny, not happy with Dubas and probably feeling some responsibility for the awful trade as well, went out and hired Lou 20 days later. This makes sense when you consider that Shanny has said he wants to keep Lou around for one more year, i'm sure he wanted Lou to do the heavy lifting in moving guys like Dion-out, Freddy-in and ultimately the big-3 contracts. Those moves right there could make or break the next 5 years easily, Shanny wanted to the grizzled vet in charge for that.

All that from this podcast: https://soundcloud.com/user-38892502...-justin-bourne

I should note that he mentions that the Pens offered Murray in one of the deals and, according to Pens fans, Rutherford had stated publicly that Murray was not for sale. This was before the Fleury drama and before Murray was red hot in the NHL so not sure who to believe on that one

Wasn't Justin Bourne working for the Leafs as an analytics guy before joining the Athletic? He would know that for sure if he worked there at the time.

Sure the Pens have two cups but Murray was just a prospect at the time too, a good one, but not a sure #1 goaltender thay he is now.

I really don't think the Kessel trade was that bad. Kapanen is still just 21, looks like he can be a good top 9 guy if given the chance, Harrington was traded for Rychel who can play in this league but our wing depth is crazy. We traded the 1st for Andersen so we got our #1 goaltender out of it anyway and Spaling went with Polak for 2 2nd rounders and we've taken Polak back each year since then so basically Spaling + 2 months of Polak for a 2nd that also went to Anaheim in the Andersen deal and the 2nd we have this year.

So basically:
    Kessel
    Biggs
    Erixon
    Kasper Bjorkqvist (him and greenway both meh college players)
    2 months of Polak

For:
    Kapanen
    Rychel
    Andersen
    JD Greenway
    2nd in 2018
    Last edited by JaysLeafs98; 01-06-2018 at 01:44 AM.

Page 22 of 33 FirstFirst ... 12202122232432 ... LastLast