Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Every time I look at the cut down lists in the NFL it strikes me that the rosters should be larger. They say player health is a priority, well if the rosters were 60 active for game days the rotations could be deeper.

Some pretty tough cuts in a few groups coming up.

Updated 53-man Roster Projection:

QB: Hoyer, Barkley, Beathard
    RB: Hyde, Hightower, Williams, Breida
    FB: Juszczyk
    WR: Garçon, Goodwin, Kerley, Robinson, Taylor, Smelter
    TE: McDonald, Kittle, Paulsen, Hikutini
    OL: Staley, Beadles, Zuttah, Fusco, Brown, Kilgore, Gilliam
    DL: Solomon Thomas, Mitchell, Buckner, Armstead, Dumervil, Lynch, DJ Jones, Carradine, Pita T.
    LB: Foster, Bowman, Brooks, Watson, Coyle
    CB: Robinson, Johnson, Williams, Redmond, Witherspoon, Reaser
    S: Ward, Reid, Tartt, Jerome, James
    ST: Gould, Pinion, Nelson

PUP: Josh Garnett

Traded: Quinton Dial for 6th round pick.
    Last edited by Lakers211221; 08-06-2017 at 07:36 PM.

I could see Dial, Blair, and Kerley all being trade candidates.

Dial is a legitimate starter in a 3-4, but isn't a great fit in the new scheme. Blair flashed as an interior pass rusher last year and I really like his potential but we aren't lacking interior pass rushers. Kerley was good for us last year, but Shanny's reasoning for releasing Ellington brings me back to Kerley having a very similar skill set to other players on the roster. If Taylor is as impressive as being implied by many beat writers I could see Kerley being moved, with Aldrick Robinson capable of playing the slot as well Kerley becomes expendable, making room for Taylor to get snaps and perhaps make room for a receiver with a different skill set(size?) on the roster. I think all three could net us late round picks.

''Sig by Johnle''

Quote Originally Posted by CodeRed View Post

Dial is a legitimate starter in a 3-4, but isn't a great fit in the new scheme. Blair flashed as an interior pass rusher last year and I really like his potential but we aren't lacking interior pass rushers. Kerley was good for us last year, but Shanny's reasoning for releasing Ellington brings me back to Kerley having a very similar skill set to other players on the roster. If Taylor is as impressive as being implied by many beat writers I could see Kerley being moved, with Aldrick Robinson capable of playing the slot as well Kerley becomes expendable, making room for Taylor to get snaps and perhaps make room for a receiver with a different skill set(size?) on the roster. I think all three could net us late round picks.
    I would agree with this. I would prefer us keep Blair and be done with Tank.
    Quote Originally Posted by heimdog8 View Post
    I didn't want to throw this information out here. I was a 3 year varsity starter at QB in high school. I played quarterback in junior college as well. I was considering playing division 1 football as well but chose to pursue my career in business instead. However, currently I am helping train with Derek Carr from Fresno State get ready for his pro day and the draft. I am also working with Cody Kessler, the USC quarterback.

Quote Originally Posted by rapjuicer06:31794174

I would agree with this. I would prefer us keep Blair and be done with Tank.
    I would tend to agree, but Tank has been practicing with the starters and Blair has been working with the 3rd team, so Blair seems more likely to be traded. I would rather have both over Chris Jones, but both regimes have offered him praise since we brought him in, suggesting he's earned a spot.

''Sig by Johnle''

The running back group is what intrigues me the most. We have alot of good guys in that position and not many of them have any trade value.

Carlos Hyde looks to be healthy and trimmed down. But he only has 1 year on his contract and has some young talent behind him. I don't think the niners give him a big pay day. We should try to trade him this year because I don't see him staying with the team next year.

Matt Breida looks like the real deal. He runs with power, speed, and can catch. He looks like our RB of the future.

Joe Williams hasn't impressed me too much. But he is a 4th rounder and 4th rounders do not get cut in their first season. He has shown speed, so looks like he can develop into a change of pace back.

Tim Hightower hasn't impressed so far, but also has not been given much opportunity. If they traded away Hyde, I would see Hightower being the solid vet to help the young guys grow.

Mostert has been impressive. He has played well as a RB, but also played great as special teams. He has no more practice squad eligibility. But he has incredible speed, both in special teams, running, and receiving... so he seems like he is versatile to stick around.

Then we have our FB, who doesn't figure to run the ball much, but I would include him in this group as well.

I think Hightower is as good as gone unless we trade away Hyde and I think Mostert is gone even though he has outplayed Williams because we just don't have the roster spots to keep him.

Quote Originally Posted by Raupie View Post
    The running back group is what intrigues me the most. We have alot of good guys in that position and not many of them have any trade value.

Carlos Hyde looks to be healthy and trimmed down. But he only has 1 year on his contract and has some young talent behind him. I don't think the niners give him a big pay day. We should try to trade him this year because I don't see him staying with the team next year.

Matt Breida looks like the real deal. He runs with power, speed, and can catch. He looks like our RB of the future.

Joe Williams hasn't impressed me too much. But he is a 4th rounder and 4th rounders do not get cut in their first season. He has shown speed, so looks like he can develop into a change of pace back.

Tim Hightower hasn't impressed so far, but also has not been given much opportunity. If they traded away Hyde, I would see Hightower being the solid vet to help the young guys grow.

Mostert has been impressive. He has played well as a RB, but also played great as special teams. He has no more practice squad eligibility. But he has incredible speed, both in special teams, running, and receiving... so he seems like he is versatile to stick around.

Then we have our FB, who doesn't figure to run the ball much, but I would include him in this group as well.

I think Hightower is as good as gone unless we trade away Hyde and I think Mostert is gone even though he has outplayed Williams because we just don't have the roster spots to keep him.
    There are going to be some regretful cuts for every team but Mostert won't be one of them as he has been impressive both as RB and on ST which makes him a lock in my book. Hightower is gone and so is Barkley unless you think the team should keep an extra clipboard holder with no future here.

Click photo to see what we do best as defending champions!

I would tend to agree, but Tank has been practicing with the starters and Blair has been working with the 3rd team, so Blair seems more likely to be traded. I would rather have both over Chris Jones, but both regimes have offered him praise since we brought him in, suggesting he's earned a spot.
    At the moment it seems Tank hasn't just been practicing well, but that he's taken the starting job from the #3 pick in Thomas.

I like Blair a lot too ... and DJ Jones. Chris Jones has apparently really impressed the coaches too. Besides QB where can the roster be lightened to keep extra DL

I definitely think you will see 4 RB's on this team, and I expect it to be Hyde, Williams, Brieda and Mostert. Cutting Barkley is where that spot comes in.

Quote Originally Posted by BGeer091 View Post

I definitely think you will see 4 RB's on this team, and I expect it to be Hyde, Williams, Brieda and Mostert. Cutting Barkley is where that spot comes in.
    After last night game, Hightower should be on the roster too cause his ability to make catches out of the backfield and his veteran leadership will help the younger backs. I think the Niners should consider trading Hyde as he doesn't fit our heavy zone read offense that Kyle favors and due to his injury history. If we can get a decent fair pick for him, it should be considered. Bolden is a keeper too as he won't make it to our PS. It won't be easy on who gets cut from going thru the roster. Many have potential to be good

https://www.buildingthedam.com/2017/5/8/15526048/how-victor-bolden-jr-will-change-the-game

Click photo to see what we do best as defending champions!

With the preseason games over and cuts likely beginning today and concluding tomorrow, here is my final roster prediction:

QB: Brian Hoyer, CJ Beathard (2)
    RB: Carlos Hyde, Matt Breida, Joe Williams, Raheem Mostert (4)
    FB: Kyle Juszczyk (1)
    WR: Pierrre Garcon, Marquise Goodwin, Jeremy Kerely, Aldrick Robinson, Trent Taylor, Victor Bolden Jr. (6)
    TE: George Kittle, Logan Paulsen, Garrett Celek (3)
    OL: Joey Staley, Laken Tomlinson, Daniel Kilgore, Brandon Fusco, Tent Brown, John Theus, Zane Beadles, Erik Magnuson (8)
    DL: Arik Armstead, Deforest Buckner, Earl Mitchell, Solomon Thomas, Elvis Dumervil, Aaron Lynch, Tank Carradine, DJ Jones, Pita Taumoepenu, Quinton Dial (10)
    LB: NaVorro Bowman, Reuben Foster, Eli Harold, Dekota Watson, Brock Coyle, Ray-Ray Armstrong (6)
    CB: Rashard Robinson, Dontae Johnson, K'Waun Williams, Ahkello Witherspoon, Asa Jackson (5)
    S: Jimmy Ward, Eric Reid, Jaquiski Tartt, Lorenzo Jerome, Adrian Colbert (5)
    ST: Robbie Gould, Bradley Pinion, Kyle Nelson (3)

IR Designated for Return: Josh Garnett
    IR: Will Redmon

^A couple caveats to my final roster prediction:

1) If Garnett is place on IR designated for return, he actually has to be on the final 53, so one of those guys (Pita? Colbert?) will have to be cut, but then brought right back afterwards.

2) There are a couple of trade candidates that I have on the 53, namely Kerley and Dial. I think Taylor and Bolden Jr. have shown enough to make Kerley expendable, but he will not be outright cut due to the $3.5 mil he was guaranteed. However, all of the guaranteed with exception of the signing bonus would go to another team in the event of a trade.

Maiocco thinks Dial may have a roster spot because he's shown to be the best backup to Buckner.

Theus vs Magnuson is going down to the wire.

They could pick up players from the cut pool and we have no idea who that might be.

Quote Originally Posted by Scoots View Post
    Maiocco thinks Dial may have a roster spot because he's shown to be the best backup to Buckner.

Theus vs Magnuson is going down to the wire.

They could pick up players from the cut pool and we have no idea who that might be.
    Theus isn't competing against Magnuson. Theus is an OT and Magnuson is an OG/C. I think both make the roster, but Theus is competing against Gilliam and Magnuson is competing against Barnes, or more likely, someone who gets cut tomorrow.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast