Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





View Poll Results: Who is in a better situation to succeed / contend now - in the immediate future?

Voters
26. You may not vote on this poll
  • Lakers

    5 19.23%
  • Celtics

    21 80.77%
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
Results 46 to 60 of 84
  1. #46
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    19,138
    Quote Originally Posted by More-Than-Most View Post
    dont care if someone agrees or disagrees... You are bringing up embiid twice for no other reason than to bait because of your horrid arguments in this thread... You had fantastic points on horford... In this thread you are wrong and out there... You cant hurt my feelings on embiid whom is fully healthy and has shown his potential... 50 percent of this site disagrees with me and most of them are great online friends/posters... You just get annoyed when a subject is over your head and your arguments get picked apart.
    I mentioned Embiid for practical purposes. If that offends you, I will make sure to send you a sorry letter. I hope his knees are ready for next season. Anyways, how did you pick apart my argument? Lakers have two max slots available in 2018 and Lonzo+Ingram+D'LO and Randle is on a QO. So again, I ask you, how does that not even put Lakers in contention as one of the teams with a better future? LED by Luke Walton - who is a promising coach and Magic Johnson - who understands the game of basketball better than 99% of the NBA? You haven't cracked my argument at all. You've just shown that you can type that you did.

  2. #47
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Philadelphia
    Posts
    105,567
    Quote Originally Posted by FlashBolt View Post
    I mentioned Embiid for practical purposes. If that offends you, I will make sure to send you a sorry letter. I hope his knees are ready for next season. Anyways, how did you pick apart my argument? Lakers have two max slots available in 2018 and Lonzo+Ingram+D'LO and Randle is on a QO. So again, I ask you, how does that not even put Lakers in contention as one of the teams with a better future? LED by Luke Walton - who is a promising coach and Magic Johnson - who understands the game of basketball better than 99% of the NBA? You haven't cracked my argument at all. You've just shown that you can type that you did.
    how do you think they can sign those spots and keep all of those players without trading deng/mos? ITS GOING TO TAKE PIECES TO TRADE THOSE GUYS.

    They arent just going to sit deng/mos for the next 4 years... they will be traded

  3. #48
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    19,138
    Quote Originally Posted by More-Than-Most View Post
    so basically anytime I bring up someone that had the respect and the winning history etc etc etc you are just going to say something well they are 2 completely different people as your argument lmfao... is this real life? You are banking on a guy that has had NO GM experience.... Who is a great businessman... a great former player.... and who is respected all over the place... SOUNDS LIKE MJ right? You are banking on Magic being amazing with nothing to back up any of your points... could he? sure its possible but as usual you are making it out as a sure thing and basing your baseless opinion on it like it has weight which it doesnt.
    1) Danny Ainge is one of the worst GM's. Hasn't drafted anyone worth mentioning with all those picks and outside of the new draft picks he's gotten, hasn't done much before that. But "experience" huh?
    2) Part of being a GM is being able to manage a business because you understand negotiations. Magic is a communicator and players love him. You can't possibly think if you're PG that speaking with Magic wouldn't entice you. Would you rather play for Magic or Ainge? I rest my case.
    3) MJ was respected as a player - not as a person. Magic is respected as both.
    4) It's not baseless. It's putting 1+1 together. Magic wouldn't have taken the job if he wasn't sure he would do a good job. His own words: "If I'm not in charge, I'm not wasting my time here." For Magic to say something like that, means he's pretty damn confident he can get things rolling. The guy can be making more money than he'll ever make as a GM of the Lakers...

  4. #49
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    19,138
    Quote Originally Posted by More-Than-Most View Post
    how do you think they can sign those spots and keep all of those players without trading deng/mos? ITS GOING TO TAKE PIECES TO TRADE THOSE GUYS.
    Didn't I already tell you that outside of the QO from Randle, D'LO and Ingram can stay with the Lakers for two years? Stop looking at every potential issue that can come to fruition when I can say the same for ANY team. The point is, they have the ability to sign two max players and have a great developing cast. Not many teams have that. And Boston will overpay for IT and be stuck with him for five seasons. Horford is there for three more years.. They only have enough cap to sign Hayward and then what? I like my chances with the Lakers.

  5. #50
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    LA
    Posts
    8,295
    Quote Originally Posted by More-Than-Most View Post
    ok so how about MJ? I could keep going if you would like
    Nah, MJ was too much like Phil. He's been a far more successful owner since he stepped back from basketball decisions. Actually, come to think of it, the way Jordan would play his players in practice and demoralize them... kinda exactly like Phil being President and trying to run practices and coaching decisions. Really odd lol.

    But no, Magic and Jordan are completely different people. The insane, competitive drive and ego in Jordan and Phil hurts them in front office roles. Magic isn't like that, he's a very collaborative person and his ego subsided when he retired. When it comes to Magic, think more of his coach - Pat Riley.

    Still, doesn't mean the Lakers will be this or that within two years. That's a really short time in the front office world lol.

  6. #51
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    5,194
    Some of you guys are just too damn lazy to actually look at their future. Lakers have enough cap space for TWO max players in 2018. Boston will most likely resign Thomas. They have ONE max player available in 2018.
    Completely situational. I wouldn't say most likely at all. They may. But there's an equal possibility they do not.

    Look at their young players. Who has the better roster? Obviously Lakers.
    Bradley/Marcus/Crowder/Amir are all free agents by 2018. Right now, Boston's leverage IS the fact they have Thomas at such a great contract.
    Yeah...Obviously the Lakers who had a bottom 5 record and the Celtics were the #1 seed in the East. But yeah, the Lakers have a better roster right now. If you're trying to say the Lakers young players have more upside, I wouldn't argue, but they DO NOT have a better roster right now. That's a joke of a statement.

    Lakers have Ingram, Randle, Ball, and DLO. All great trade pieces. 2/4, IMO, are all-star talent. Players love Lakers and not Celtics. Sorry, that's the fact.
    Who's the last big name Free Agent the Lakers signed?

    And are some of you oblivious to the fact that Magic Johnson is the new captain? His ability to attract players is going to be very important. I can easily see PG+Cousins coming in. By that time, Lonzo's in his second year, Randle would be a very good player, Ingram would probably hit 20 PPG already, and you still have D'Lo.

    Lonzo
    PG
    Cousins
    Ingram
    Randle
    Great...Need a lot to go right for that to happen. What if one of PG and Cousins doesn't come aboard? Then what? BTW good luck with Cousins.

    Celtics probably get IT, Horford, Hayward, Brown, and Fultz. Who else?
    You left off...
    2018 BRK pick.
    Bradley
    Crowder
    Rozier
    Zizic
    Yabu

    Now none are great as is..But plenty of value there via trade. Why is it ok to assume the Lakers are going to make trades that help build the team but the Celtics don't get the same assumptions? If the Lakers are automatically going to be able to move Moz and Deng (no easy task and going to cost you assets) why can't the Celtics move any of these above pieces who have far more trade value than Moz and Deng to help their roster?

    Also say the Lakers do get PG and Cousins and have some combination of Ball, Randle, Nance, Russell, and Ingram (won't all be there) where's there bench? They have no draft pick in 2018. If they're any good after 2018 their draft picks will be nothing special.

    The Celtics have BRK 2018 pick (likely top 5), MEM and LAC 2019 picks and all of their own picks in those years.

    Who's to say the C's don't sign Hayward this year. Then at the trade deadline package Crowder, Smart and some picks for Butler.

    IT-Butler-Hayward-Horford-Brown-Fultz-Bradley...I'd take that team up against Ball-Russell-Ingram-PG-Cousins-Nance ALL DAY LONG.

    City of Champions

  7. #52
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Philadelphia
    Posts
    105,567
    Quote Originally Posted by Oakmont_4 View Post
    Completely situational. I wouldn't say most likely at all. They may. But there's an equal possibility they do not.



    Yeah...Obviously the Lakers who had a bottom 5 record and the Celtics were the #1 seed in the East. But yeah, the Lakers have a better roster right now. If you're trying to say the Lakers young players have more upside, I wouldn't argue, but they DO NOT have a better roster right now. That's a joke of a statement.



    Who's the last big name Free Agent the Lakers signed?



    Great...Need a lot to go right for that to happen. What if one of PG and Cousins doesn't come aboard? Then what? BTW good luck with Cousins.



    You left off...
    2018 BRK pick.
    Bradley
    Crowder
    Rozier
    Zizic
    Yabu

    Now none are great as is..But plenty of value there via trade. Why is it ok to assume the Lakers are going to make trades that help build the team but the Celtics don't get the same assumptions? If the Lakers are automatically going to be able to move Moz and Deng (no easy task and going to cost you assets) why can't the Celtics move any of these above pieces who have far more trade value than Moz and Deng to help their roster?

    Also say the Lakers do get PG and Cousins and have some combination of Ball, Randle, Nance, Russell, and Ingram (won't all be there) where's there bench? They have no draft pick in 2018. If they're any good after 2018 their draft picks will be nothing special.

    The Celtics have BRK 2018 pick (likely top 5), MEM and LAC 2019 picks and all of their own picks in those years.

    Who's to say the C's don't sign Hayward this year. Then at the trade deadline package Crowder, Smart and some picks for Butler.

    IT-Butler-Hayward-Horford-Brown-Fultz-Bradley...I'd take that team up against Ball-Russell-Ingram-PG-Cousins-Nance ALL DAY LONG.
    but yo.................. Magic ****ing Johnson man. Jesus christ.

  8. #53
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    5,194
    Quote Originally Posted by More-Than-Most View Post
    but yo.................. Magic ****ing Johnson man. Jesus christ.
    Exactly. Apparently being a great NBA player makes you a great GM (unless your name is Michael or Larry). But if you're only a good NBA player (Ainge) you're a terrible GM and no player would want to play for you.

    I don't get it. Magic has literally done nothing yet. Oh wait, my bad, he acquired a late first round pick. Tanked his team (and didn't even do that right) and then got lucky in the lottery and jumped from 4 to 2. HOLY CRAP how did I miss his greatness as a GM!

    All sarcasm aside. I do think Magic will be a pretty good GM. But everything is not going to go perfectly for him in his first 2 years. He will make mistakes along the way and I'm sure he'll learn from them. He will get better as time goes on. He inherited a great situation which will help him immensely. But just to assume he'll be great based off his name and everything will go perfectly and everyone will want to play for him because, well, he's MAGIC...Is incredibly idiotic.

    City of Champions

  9. #54
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    19,803
    Quote Originally Posted by More-Than-Most View Post
    You are banking on the lakers being able to do something they have not done in god knows how long in signing a big time free agent but giving no thought that the celtics could trade IT and Horford and get a ton back themselves... The lakers can contend with spurs/warriors but the celtics cant with YET AGAIN far better players and just as many young high potential guys/more money and having the first pick this year and again a lottery pick next year... Your entire argument is thoughtless.

    Celtics with Hayward----------------------------------------------->Lakers with cousins/PG13 because of the defense/depth the celtics have... they dont have to trade guys to get top players... they can trade guys for more depth or a top player.
    Horford and IT aren't going to net you much... Horford with the big deal already and IT with the impending disaster deal.

    I like the Celtics situation but they really need to get Hayward and then turn their volume of assets into a star...

    this summer is the last summer of the big spending because of the jump again in the cap... once it levels out everyone will be trying to dump contracts and their won't be a lot of takers... that is why I am so gun ho on the Lakers dumping at least one of moz or deng this summer even if it is just for an expiring

    I would literally do a deal with anyone combining Deng/randle wherein we take nothing back

  10. #55
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    5,194
    Quote Originally Posted by Vinylman View Post
    Horford and IT aren't going to net you much... Horford with the big deal already and IT with the impending disaster deal.

    I like the Celtics situation but they really need to get Hayward and then turn their volume of assets into a star...

    this summer is the last summer of the big spending because of the jump again in the cap... once it levels out everyone will be trying to dump contracts and their won't be a lot of takers... that is why I am so gun ho on the Lakers dumping at least one of moz or deng this summer even if it is just for an expiring

    I would literally do a deal with anyone combining Deng/randle wherein we take nothing back
    Right, but for the exact reason you listed, there aren't going to be many if any teams willing to do that. You're going to have to attach actual assets to these players to get a team to bite on taking on those contracts.

    City of Champions

  11. #56
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    19,803
    Quote Originally Posted by Oakmont_4 View Post
    Right, but for the exact reason you listed, there aren't going to be many if any teams willing to do that. You're going to have to attach actual assets to these players to get a team to bite on taking on those contracts.
    nah... this summer that deal probably can get done if we take back an equal salary for this coming year... I didn't mean we wouldn't take anyone back... just that what we took back would be worthless in terms of forward looking value.

  12. #57
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    5,194
    Quote Originally Posted by Vinylman View Post
    nah... this summer that deal probably can get done if we take back an equal salary for this coming year... I didn't mean we wouldn't take anyone back... just that what we took back would be worthless in terms of forward looking value.
    So you think you can trade 1 of or both of Deng/Mozgov for an equal expiring contract??? HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

    Good one.

    City of Champions

  13. #58
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    All states
    Posts
    1,620
    Quote Originally Posted by lol, please View Post
    The two most storied franchises in the NBA along with the Sixers and Warriors.
    Get the Warriors the F out of that comparison of storied franchises. You have three mega-novels and then you have a brochure.

  14. #59
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    19,803
    Quote Originally Posted by Oakmont_4 View Post
    So you think you can trade 1 of or both of Deng/Mozgov for an equal expiring contract??? HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

    Good one.
    is that what I said? do you have reading comprehension problems? Deng/Randle for an expiring

  15. #60
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    5,194
    Quote Originally Posted by Vinylman View Post
    is that what I said? do you have reading comprehension problems?
    Yes it is. And no I do not.

    You said, and I quote "nah... this summer that deal probably can get done if we take back an equal salary for this coming year" The only way to read that sentence is you're taking back an equal contract for 1 year. AKA an expiring contract.

    You continued, and I quote ".. I didn't mean we wouldn't take anyone back... just that what we took back would be worthless in terms of forward looking value." Again, meaning an expiring contract.

    Nowhere in your post did you mention attaching an asset to do so.

    Deng/Randle for an expiring
    Ok, now this is reasonable. You're still getting nothing back other than a worthless player on an expiring contract. You still have Moz to ditch in order to clear out that second max contract. Which asset are you attaching to ditch Moz?

    Let's say you can ditch Moz/Clarkson as a package for another expiring.

    So you draft Ball to pair with Ingram, Russell, Nance and Zubac. You sign PG and Cousins (good luck with Cousins). It's definitely a nice team...Not going to say it's better than what the Celtics CAN do. This is the BEST case scenario for LA and literally everything would have to go their way to get this done.

    Here's what you need to go right to get to where the C's are now...
    1. Be able to ditch Moz and Deng, which even attaching assets is no easy task
    2. Hit on your 2 draft picks this year
    3. Hope Ingram, Russell, Nance and Zubac continue to progress
    4. Sign PG13
    5. Sign Cousins
    6. Somehow get a bench between few draft picks, no cap space, no assets to trade.

    It's definitely all possible. But no easy task. And that still doesn't make you better than GS is right now. SO you're in the WCF losing to GS. In 2 years from now. Whereas BOS is already in the ECF (admittedly weaker) but has a 2 year head start and plenty of picks to keep backfilling their roster with equal if not better trade assets (because we don't have bad contracts to unload)
    Last edited by Oakmont_4; 05-23-2017 at 09:05 AM.

    City of Champions

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •