Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 5 of 32 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

this forum sure is bumpin.

doubt that the boston moves will impact hayward's decision in any way. still on pins and needles.
    HAWKS '13 ,'1 4, & '15 PREMIERS

"I ate his liver with some fava beans and a nice chianti...ffftt ffftt ffftt!"

"of course tom 'jan' brady would whine about a rule change."
    -chipurmunki

I think the Celtics trade is a great move for the Jazz. Moving down from 1 to 3 means Boston is targeting wing players. All the updated mock Drafts have Boston selecting Jayson Tatum or Josh Jackson, both are SF's.
    Jaylen Brown a former #3 pick is also on the roster. With all those draft picks the Celtics are ready to make a deal. I bet they land a star player via trade in the next few weeks. They could probably get Paul George or Jimmy Butler via trade now. Trading for one of these stars and giving a team assets to begin a rebuild makes a ton of sense for teams going nowhere. Why would Hayward want to go to a team with a star wing player and 2 other wing players that were both top 3 picks. Not to mention you could still have Bradley or Crowder on the roster. That is a crowded wing rotation. Boston could use these assets to trade for a star big man and try to just sign Hayward. There is no guarantee he will. So if your Boston and you have a deal in place for Butler or George you do it now. A bird in the hand is worth 2 in the bush. Why pass up a guarantee for the uncertainty of NBA free agency.

If your Boston and your solid at the wing but weak at the 4 you target Blake Griffin over Hayward. Boston can't sign Hayward and Blake. The Clippers are a dead end and Blake should move on. Boston is a terrible rebounding team and Hayward doesn't change that.

I also think we are too often assuming players are OK with changing positions. Does Hayward really want to play the 2 instead of the 3? It's not the same. He's capable yes, but does he want to.

We had some struggles, you know," Durant said. "That Utah series was a tough one. We were winning games but it was, just like, you know they were switching everything. They were running sets all the way through. They have a big shot blocker, so it was kinda hard to get into the paint. They are a tough team. They are going to be really good. I like them if they keep everything, thatís the thing."

Thanks Kevin! Gordon definitely heard this.

I have heard several great NBA players say in the past year they would be open to playing in Utah. Damion Lillard recently said it. We signed Joe Johnson. Andre Igudala said Utah was on his short list. George Hill said he likes it here and wanted to stay. Milos Teodosic said he would love to play for Utah. Durrant said, "They are going to be really good". We may be able to land a big free agent after all. Why not? Our coach is known around the league as a genius. We are a solid up and coming perennial playoff team. And who wouldn't want to play with Rudy. We are starting to look like a hot girl at the party, and players are noticing.

I think that the trade for the celtics either means that they are fully going in on signing hayward and then using their remaining resources trading for someone like butler or they are just going to be happy being a 2 seed with quite a few really good prospects the next few years while waiting for someone really good like anthony davis to be available.

After trading Dwight Howard Atlanta looking for a sign-and-trade for Millsap. This is the only way we could get him and sign Hayward. It would take a miracle. First Millsap would need to want to come back and be willing to play for a discount. A big discount. Probably too big of a discount. It would take at least 20-25 per year considering he could get 30 for a bad team. Favors and a draft pick for taking on Burks contract.

Signing Millsap is a desperation move, not a great long term move. We could go all in and try to compete with GS now. But realistically we are too far behind and may be better to wait it out a few years.
    Last edited by Wes Mantooth; 06-21-2017 at 12:29 PM.

We could Trade Favors, or we could trade Johnson and Diaw with Burks. For a sign and trade that would give them some pretty good assets considering you usually get players that are waived next season. It would basically be swapping Johnson for Millsap.

Burks + Johnson +Diaw is 27 million, so we could easily afford Millsap at that point.

(and if the Hawks didn't want Diaw on the salary they could just reject the team option before the Free Agency, and we could actually re-sign him for vet minimum if we wanted.

Quote Originally Posted by Firefistus View Post
    We could Trade Favors, or we could trade Johnson and Diaw with Burks. For a sign and trade that would give them some pretty good assets considering you usually get players that are waived next season. It would basically be swapping Johnson for Millsap.

Burks + Johnson +Diaw is 27 million, so we could easily afford Millsap at that point.

(and if the Hawks didn't want Diaw on the salary they could just reject the team option before the Free Agency, and we could actually re-sign him for vet minimum if we wanted.
    I like that. Johnson could retire a Hawk. Favors is from Atlanta. Favors and Johnson for sign-and-trade Millsap. Resign Hayward. Give away draft picks for someone to take Burks. Let Diaw walk. We probably can't afford Hill unless Hill and Millsap sign for a discount. If they did sign for a small discount we couldn't afford Ingles, but a lineup of Hill, Hood, Hayward, Millsap, and Gobert is awesome.

Assuming we can't afford Hill and Millsap we could trade for Beverly or Bledsoe and still keep Ingles. Not that I really think we would do any of this. I'd bet we stay conservative and try to bring the same team back for one more year to see if Exum, Hood, or Favors has a future with us.

I don't know, I think the Jazz Front Office is looking to improve next year, not stay pat and see what happens. Here's a real possibility trade scenario.

Burks/Johnson/Diaw for Millsap

Favors and picks this year for Bledsoe (they like Favors and have been after him for years and are probably drafting a PG this year)

We could easily sign Ingles, and still do a trade for picks for Beverly. The Rockets are reportedly not looking for any assets, just want to clear cap.

We wouldbe around 115 million with that roster, everyone is stating that the lux cap would be around 120 million. We would need backup big men though. Maybe we could pick up Bogut for vet minimum, since we already have 2 Ausies, he just might like that.

So our Roster at that point would be

Exum/Beverly/Bledsoe
    Hood/Ingles
    Hayward
    Lyles/Millsap
    Bogut/Gobert

and Probably a couple rookies.

I'm not just throwing these out there, these are rumors of trades I've heard in the past. So the pheonix this is legit. The Beverly thing is VERY legit. Millsap is completely plausable. But we'll see if we change things up a bit.

Man that would be a good roster though.

Quote Originally Posted by Firefistus View Post
    I don't know, I think the Jazz Front Office is looking to improve next year, not stay pat and see what happens. Here's a real possibility trade scenario.

Burks/Johnson/Diaw for Millsap

Favors and picks this year for Bledsoe (they like Favors and have been after him for years and are probably drafting a PG this year)

We could easily sign Ingles, and still do a trade for picks for Beverly. The Rockets are reportedly not looking for any assets, just want to clear cap.

We wouldbe around 115 million with that roster, everyone is stating that the lux cap would be around 120 million. We would need backup big men though. Maybe we could pick up Bogut for vet minimum, since we already have 2 Ausies, he just might like that.

So our Roster at that point would be

Exum/Beverly/Bledsoe
    Hood/Ingles
    Hayward
    Lyles/Millsap
    Bogut/Gobert

and Probably a couple rookies.

I'm not just throwing these out there, these are rumors of trades I've heard in the past. So the pheonix this is legit. The Beverly thing is VERY legit. Millsap is completely plausable. But we'll see if we change things up a bit.

Man that would be a good roster though.
    Firefistus I love the above roster but I think it's impossible. 2017 /2018 NBA salary cap is lower than expected at 99 Million, luxury tax line is 119. Today the Jazz are at 66.4 before signing draft picks. Plus your team only has 10 players. You need at least 3-5 more contracts. With our injury history we will likely have 15 players. Your additional 5 roster spots will cost us at least 5 million more.

Current Salaries 66.4 Million
    Exum-5
    Hood- 2.4
    Lyles- 2.4
    Gobert-21.2
    Neto-1
    Bolomboy-1.3
    Johnson-10.5
    Burks-10.6
    Favors- 12

You are assuming we can move the contracts of Johnson, Favors, and Burks. Lowering our cap number 33.1 to 33.3 million with only 6 players signed.

2017/18 Salaries
    Beverly-5.5
    Bledsoe-14.5

I like Beverly and Bledsoe but if you are going to pay them both a combined 20 why not just offer that money to Hill. With his age and injury history 17-20 should do it. Plus the 2 teams I thought could overpay him Philly and Brooklyn just landed PG's. The updated market for Hill favors the Jazz. Sure a team like the Spurs could try to sign him but they never overpay players, they get guys typically for a discount. Plus having Beverly and Bledsoe on the team would eliminate Exum's minutes at either guard position. I just don't think the organization has given up on Exum and wants to give him one more year to show us something.

2017/18 Projected Salary Range
    Millsap-25-30
    Ingles-8-10
    Hayward-30
    Hill-17-25

This is where it gets tricky. Technically we could sign all 4 of Millsap, Hayward, Ingles, and Hill but only if they all signed for the low end of their price range. That would take us to 113.3 with 5 more players to sign.

Just not going to happen. We would declare Dennis Lindsay a Saint because he would have to perform 3 miracles. 1. Unload Favors, Johnson, and Burks without taking back much salary. 2. Were talking about the Jazz signing 3 of the top 15 free agents coveted by many teams. 3. Convincing them all to sign for a discount except for Hayward.

I'd be interested to hear fan opinions on the following questions:

1.Would the Jazz unload the contract of Joe Johnson considering how we need him late in games?

2. Does Favors return to form being 1 year removed from being a solid starter?

3.Do we add other veteran guards that could steal minutes from Exum in his last year?

4.Do we trade players like Favors, Hood, Exum, or Lyles when their stock is so low?

5.Are we going to be able to resign Hood, Exum, or Lyles considering how frustrated they are with their roles?

6.Is Favors a good fit with Gobert long term?

7. If Hayward leaves town do we rebuild our team a little younger to try to wait out the Warriors dynasty?

8. If Hayward goes to the Celtics should we boo him like we have others?

9. Is the focus of this offseason to improve drastically to compete with the Warriors or to keep the team together?

My opinion
    1. No. Plus they want to be known as a loyal franchise to players.
    2. No. Although he is in a contract year his back and knee problems will slow him down.
    3. I would, but I think the Jazz still have hopes for him.
    4. No. Favors, Exum and Hood are in their contract year. They will likely improve their stock and then we can move them at the trade deadline if needed. With the big dollars available these guys will have plenty of incentive this summer to improve. I bet Hood improves a lot.
    5. Only if their roles change, otherwise they will be gone. They all seam to think they are better than they have shown.
    6. No. We can do better.
    7. Yes, unless we can bring in a different max player.
    8. No. Grow up Jazz fans. Hayward regardless of where he signs will likely have a 2 year opt out and could come back.
    9. I don't see the Jazz making any drastic moves. Our focus should be to resign who we have, not overpay Hill or Ingles, and give many of our expiring guys one last chance. Next offseason is where the big changes come. "Getting something" for players is less important in today's NBA than cap space.

Just traded Trey Lures and the 24th for the 13th pick and got the SG from Louisville. I like this pick. He's long and a solid defender and slipped down a few spots. Good get especially since we only have up Lyles and a lower 1st that we didn't really need. Lyles couldn't even get on the court so he was definitely not a part of the team moving forward. I also think that says a lot about how they feel about Bolomboy. He will likely slide into that 1st big off the bench role. Good move on draft night!

On the booing Hayward thing....dunno if I would boo him but I certainly would have no interest in ever cheering for him again. We gutted the team to make it "his" when he didn't deserve it, gave him a max when he didn't deserve it and now that he's proven himself he just leaves in spite of all the things we have him when he hadn't earned a damn bit of it??? And it's not like he's a Jazz legend or anything, one playoff win...meh. I certainly want him back big time but if he leaves I think it's kind of a slap in the face to the franchise that's given him everything. But it's all up to him and he has earned the right to do whatever he wants.

i dunno how long he is at 6'3", but i love the trade. ditching dead weight in lyles is just the cherry on top. mitchell defends well and shoots the 3, led louisville in scoring, and has been compared to bledsoe. he's in a completely different tier from any player we could have picked at #24, so it's a huge win for us.
    HAWKS '13 ,'1 4, & '15 PREMIERS

"I ate his liver with some fava beans and a nice chianti...ffftt ffftt ffftt!"

"of course tom 'jan' brady would whine about a rule change."
    -chipurmunki

Quote Originally Posted by JAZZNC View Post
    On the booing Hayward thing....dunno if I would boo him but I certainly would have no interest in ever cheering for him again. We gutted the team to make it "his" when he didn't deserve it, gave him a max when he didn't deserve it and now that he's proven himself he just leaves in spite of all the things we have him when he hadn't earned a damn bit of it??? And it's not like he's a Jazz legend or anything, one playoff win...meh. I certainly want him back big time but if he leaves I think it's kind of a slap in the face to the franchise that's given him everything. But it's all up to him and he has earned the right to do whatever he wants.
    This, it's not like he was traded. He has the choice to stay or go. If he goes after all the faith, time, and energy we have put into training him and paying him, he definitely deserves to be boo'd. Especially if he goes to a team that isn't as good as Utah.

Page 5 of 32 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast