Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 3 of 32 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    With Millsap looking like he'll opt out, any chance of a reunion?

Quote Originally Posted by thunderdood View Post
    With Millsap looking like he'll opt out, any chance of a reunion?
    No, I don't think so. We do not have the cap room to sign him if Heyward stays in Utah, we have very limited cap room. If Heyward leaves, I think we go back into a rebuilding mode, so a 32 year old Millsap would not fit what we need.

Don't get me wrong, I would love to have him back. I just don't see a financial way to make it happen unless we are able to do a sign and trade with Atlanta... maybe something like Millsap for Favors, Burks, Diaw, and a 1st rounder. But only way we would do that is if we kept Heyward.

So, I just heard that we can actually still sign a player for THIS year. This means, if there is a player that is not owned by another team, we can sign him, but use our cap space this year and have this year be like signing bonus. Not sure if there is any player not signed by a team that we want. But say there is a player that we really want, but they want 10 million a year. We could pay them 5 million this year and 5 million next year. Another creative way for us to use this year's cap space, though we may not have any good targets for this method.

Interestingly enough, There's rumor about Teodesich (I know I'm spelling it wrong). He wants 8 million a year and openly said he wants to play for Snyder in Utah (Snyder coached him in Europe). Snyder has also openly commented on wanting him in the past.

I wonder if we're going to do something here to sign him. Give him a signing bonus of 15 million now and then 3 million the next 2 years afterwards.

I just had a thought, tell me what you think.

If we pick up Teodosic and Deron Williams for around 18 million for the both of them, they can play the PG.

Slide Exum to the 2 guard, Utah is still sold on this guy being big time.

Trade Favors, Hood, Burks, and a couple first rounders in the future for Butler.

We then sign Hayward.

OR we pick up Milsap instead of Butler. That seems like a fair offer to me for either player. I really like the idea of Millsap over Butler honestly, but I think that would be an improvement to the team as a whole, and a better situation for Utah financially.

Signing Millsap to a max long term deal at age 32 is a bad idea. Overpaying a veteran in the twilight of their career is too risky for a young team. Dennis has made it clear in the media lately that we will not overpay for Hill. Frankly Hill would be stupid to leave. Our system is what made him look good. Our system is why he is in for a big payday. He was not plying this well in Indiana. With his injury history and age he should be fine with 17 million per year. I'm sure he could get a cash grab in Phily or some other loosing team. That's fine, but if a guy is only interested in cash I don't want him on our team anyway.

I've read several trade ideas for Paul George and Jimmy Butler. Never going to happen. Those teams are going to get much better offers than what we can offer. Unloading Favors, Burks, Hood, or our low draft picks is not going to bring in a perennial all star. The assets we have to trade all have limited potential and red flags.

It was only a year ago that Favors was a solid player. He looked like one of our cornerstones. Last season was ugly for him, plus his injury history is only getting worse. That said I bet we give him one more year to see if he can play like his old self. If not we let him walk. His trade value is too low to get any real value. There is a chance he could bounce back. He should have plenty of incentive in a contract year. I expect him to be in much better shape, loose a few pounds, and get some lift back. Waiting on Favors is a good risk for us.

Ya, I would love to sign Millsap short-term for a few years, but I don't know if it's going to happen. And I think Signing Millsap is a better idea than signing George Hill. My favorite thing that I miss about Millsap was his ability to be clutch at the end of the game. It's hard to find players like that, but he definitely performs great when the pressure is high. Honestly, if Hill wants over 10 million I say let him walk, and he's going to want over that. So bye bye Hill. It was nice when your toe wasn't acting up, but you can take that toe and go somewhere else.

As for offers for Butler, Celtics probably have the best situation for offering a deal to him, but there's no way they are going to give up their 1st pick for him. They were talking Bradley, Zeller, Crowder and a future 1st for him. But Bradley and Zeller are both very poor players. The future first is going to be low picks. Honestly I don't see that trade as being better.

Hood is better than Bradley and still on a rookie contract, Favors is better than Zeller even when hurt, and Burks is an injury prone player, so that's a negative on the trade, but he's good when healthy. Probably close to Bradley level. I would be willing to throw in Lyles too, who's still an unknown, and the money would still work. But I'm just saying, as far as deals, not even putting on a homer hat, it seems like a good one. Deron Williams and Carmello Anthony were traded for far less during their peak.
    Last edited by Firefistus; 05-24-2017 at 12:11 PM.

I believe we can sign Milos Teodosic and use this year's salary to front load a contract. Everything that I have read indicates Utah has the highest chance of signing him.

If we sign Milos, Heyward, and Ingles... do you think we could convince Hill to sign with us for a discount? He said Heyward is like a brother to him and he says he wants to win a championship. Milos and Hill are both longer PGs. Hill could play backup PG and play some SG as well. Hill is one of the best catch and shoot shooters in the NBA, so i have no doubt he could play along Milos. Exum can play some PG, SG, and SF as needed. They said they like Exum better off the ball.

I wonder if Suns would trade Alec Burks for Tyson Chandler? Burks would fit their fast paced offense better and they both have similar contracts. Tyson would be the PERFECT backup to Rudy. Plus, it provides us insurance that if we end up wanting to move Favors before the deadline, we have a legit backup center. From a cap stand point, would rather be in luxury for a legit backup center than a hurt 3 string SG.

Milos, Hill, (Neto)
    Hood, Exum
    Heyward, ingles
    Favors, Johnson, (Lyles), (Bolomboy), (1st Round Pick)
    Gobert, Chandler,

Other first pick is European draft and stash

This lineup makes us 10 players deep with great flexibility. And everything seems doable, other than convincing Hill to come back for reduced money and sharing the PG position with Milos. But I think we could challenge GS with this lineup do to the great depth this lineup has. Thoughts?

Burks isn't any value at all. If you want Tyson Chandler you're going to need to give up pieces for him. He IS good at driving the ball, decent at 3's and passing, and he rebounds well for a 2 guard. But he's just not worth anything because of his injury history.

Quote Originally Posted by Firefistus View Post
    Burks isn't any value at all. If you want Tyson Chandler you're going to need to give up pieces for him. He IS good at driving the ball, decent at 3's and passing, and he rebounds well for a 2 guard. But he's just not worth anything because of his injury history.
    Maybe I am under valuing Chandler. He is on the back side of his career and is pretty much just a rebounder and a rim protector. Utah is one of the few teams that still utilizes a player like that. Suns are a fun and gun team. Full of young and athletic players who are going to push the tempo as much as possible. So I figured Burks would be more valuable to them than Chandler

Quote Originally Posted by Raupie View Post
    Maybe I am under valuing Chandler. He is on the back side of his career and is pretty much just a rebounder and a rim protector. Utah is one of the few teams that still utilizes a player like that. Suns are a fun and gun team. Full of young and athletic players who are going to push the tempo as much as possible. So I figured Burks would be more valuable to them than Chandler
    I think Chandler has more value and was only benched last year to play the young guys and tank. At the same time, I don't think Len did anything to show he's the future center for the team. Chandler would be great for out team. Would it be worth it to offer Burks + one of our 1st round picks to entice the Suns to trade?

Quote Originally Posted by thunderdood View Post
    I think Chandler has more value and was only benched last year to play the young guys and tank. At the same time, I don't think Len did anything to show he's the future center for the team. Chandler would be great for out team. Would it be worth it to offer Burks + one of our 1st round picks to entice the Suns to trade?
    First round picks are pretty valuable this year, even our later ones. Given our cap situation, we could probably find a team to take Burks without us taking any cap space in return. A team like the Nets come to mind may take his entire contract for a first round pick. Even though I like Chandler, the only way I would be ok taking on his contract is if we exchanged it for Burke's contract without giving up a first. I would be ok giving up a second round pick with Burks.

Quote Originally Posted by Raupie View Post
    First round picks are pretty valuable this year, even our later ones. Given our cap situation, we could probably find a team to take Burks without us taking any cap space in return. A team like the Nets come to mind may take his entire contract for a first round pick. Even though I like Chandler, the only way I would be ok taking on his contract is if we exchanged it for Burke's contract without giving up a first. I would be ok giving up a second round pick with Burks.
    This, I think Suns would pull the trigger on that one. Te be honest though, they might not want to give up Chandler and swap us Len instead. I'm not sure they have any hope for Len at this point. Who knows, but they for sure have the cap space to easily add Burks, and you're right, I think he would be a good fit for the Suns. That just might be something they would want to do.

After listening to pod casts and reading trade options for point guards, I think we are better off staying the course and developing our own guys.

A guy like Rubio has very poor 3 point shooting and he has been around long enough that it isn't likely to improve that much. Bledsoe has had some great years, but has had a number of injuries and this past year, his defense wasn't what it used to be probably because of those injuries. I like Dragic, but his defensive ability is limited by his lack of athleticism. I am not saying these guys wouldn't be good, just saying that they all come with weaknesses or question marks.

However, the question marks around Exum seem to be less risky (IMO). Exum plays good defense, his rookie year he was a stud and this year he was ok, but you could tell he had been out of organized basketball for a year. His 3pt shooting was also down from his rookie year. His drives to the basket was MUCH better than his rookie year, he obviously has gotten stronger and more confident going into the paint and was unstoppable at time. He hasn't had a true off season to work since getting into the NBA and development is something that Jazz do best. If Exum just combines this year and his rookie season (3 point shooting and drives to hoop, etc.) he will be a good starting center. If he improves in any of those areas, he has a chance to be something special. I was a believer in finding a proven player to play over Exum so we can win now, but the proven players we have the options to getting have just as many questions marks (if not more) than Exum.

Hood is another player in same situation. Everyone would agree that Hood did not have a good this year because injuries seemed to slow him down and impact his consistency. However, if you look at his numbers (even with a down year) they are similar to other players that are looking to get near max contracts (for example Crabb). Hood will be in a contract year and hopefully will be healthier, my money is on him having a good year.

Lyles is the player I have the most questions about. His skills are without question. But his mental toughness, competitive drive, athleticism, etc. are all in question to me. I am not confident he will be much better next year and have my concerns he will ever be the player we want / need. PF is a weakness for our team, so if we make moves, that is where I would put my energy and efforts into upgrading.

I do not think Favors is a PF. He does not have the lateral quickness to defend on the perimeter. Best case scenario for Favors is a solid starting center. I think he is / can be a really good player. But I think his lack of mobility coupled with teams going smaller / faster has decreased his effectiveness and value. A few years ago, it was the cool thing in the NBA to have "twin towers". Favors would be effective against a lineup and play style like that. But I don't think he is ever going to be more than an average PF and a good center.

I have my concerns about Joe Johnson's ability to play PF for extended minutes all season long. I think he can still play minutes here, but few minutes than he did last year during the playoffs.

Bolomboy is the PF I am most positive about. He is mobile, a good defender, athletic, and can shoot relatively well. This says something about Bolomboy, but I think it also says something about the lack of talent / fit at the PF position.

So just a different perspective most people are taking. Most people see PG as our position of weakness that we have to address, but I think our PG position could actually be much better than people think and that our PF position is what we have to really worry about.

Page 3 of 32 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast