Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

The age of the SuperMax: "5-year, $217M"

SportsCenter‏Verified account @SportsCenter 4h4 hours ago
    Russell Westbrook will be eligible for a 5-year, $217M "supermax," making him the highest-paid player in NBA history.

Questions:

1.) How can a small market team pay $43m+ to a single player if guys like Oladipo $21M and Adams $22.4M would still be onboard?

2.) Assuming that they do get him for that much, would this trio and a bunch of vets min players be enough to get em' past the West?

3.) Otherwise, how do you build around Westy?

4.) How do you find a taker for Enes Kanter without taking any salary in return?

5.) Can the Thunder even get RWB to sign an extension next year to begin with?

Id trade him... Esp if I am small market and I love westy but I am not paying anyone not named Lebron/Durant that kind of money period. Its no offense to guys like curry etc but Nobody can do more with less than Lebron and Durant... You wont win a title ever paying one guy that much unless its those 2 guys and even then its just not beneficial... If you plan to give westy that much you better bring in 2 top players asap... Its just not worth the risk with how great the warriors are... There is 0 percent chance they win a title in those 5 years.

Really, no team can survive paying one player that much outright in a vacuum. The only way you can survive a deal like that is if you already have all of your pieces in place and are willing to pay some serious luxury tax. Even LeBron, who is on his way to making crazy money obviously and already makes $30M+, it wouldn't work if they didn't already have Irving, Love and their hoard of good role players. After living in luxury thanks to fortunate contracts vs an exploding cap, GS is headed for the same road.

For everybody else, this is going to make it almost impossible to close the gap with those two teams. There is just no way to stack talent to that level anymore when guys are making that much. The CBA has caught up with the exploding salary cap and these new regulations will help spread out the top end talent to more teams. Hopefully, that will lead to mid-late 70's level parity but until then the Warriors and Cavs will be in their own league of talent. The Clippers can hang with them on paper but we've seen them fail on the results end.

The purpose of this is to add balance to the league. My only gripe is there's no hard cap that follows. For example GS has a serious dilemma as they can't afford to give a "super max" to both Durant and Curry. When you can a have situation where 3 top players can all get paid the "regular" max it makes super teams possible.

"Eighteen Twenty-five _______"

This is getting out of hand. FOs need to stop overpaying players and crippling their own teams.
    Last edited by GoferKing_; 05-02-2017 at 08:02 AM.

Didn't they just sign him to an extension start of last season? Meaning he can't get that 5 year $217 supermax right now?

I would not sign him to a supermax contract however I would sign him to a $180 or $190 million dollar contract

Quote Originally Posted by warfelg View Post
    Didn't they just sign him to an extension start of last season? Meaning he can't get that 5 year $217 supermax right now?
    It was a 3 year extension with an option after the first year.

Quote Originally Posted by GoferKing_ View Post
    This is getting out of hand. FOs need to stop overpaying players and crippling their own teams.
    This is what I don't understand. Just because it's an option doesn't mean teams should use it. Sell the players on contending and to do that requires cap space. If a player rather this super max over winning you let that player go if he's not on a true franchise changing level. Now whether Westbrook is that good is up for discussion. If you give out one these super max deals you have to be real careful how you build the team from there on.

Quote Originally Posted by da ThRONe View Post
    This is what I don't understand. Just because it's an option doesn't mean teams should use it. Sell the players on contending and to do that requires cap space. If a player rather this super max over winning you let that player go if he's not on a true franchise changing level. Now whether Westbrook is that good is up for discussion. If you give out one these super max deals you have to be real careful how you build the team from there on.
    The problem is the max. Somewhere along the line a team offered an average starter the max because they could. So then the next guy demanded that and it snowballed.

Quote Originally Posted by warfelg View Post
    The problem is the max. Somewhere along the line a team offered an average starter the max because they could. So then the next guy demanded that and it snowballed.
    I think the name you're looking for is Rashard Lewis.

I think it's more about the salary cap structure. There is room on every team for one super max and another max. That's 60 players in the L, with probably less then half of 60 truly deserving. Was Rashard Lewis a top 60 guy? Its arguable at one point.

When I think about it, if your a top 10 guy at your position, you might be able to demand the Max. Now were guys like Rashard Lewis ever a top 10 SF or Tweener PF? I think he has a case just based on counting stats.
    Last edited by Heediot; 05-02-2017 at 10:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by IndyRealist View Post
    I think the name you're looking for is Rashard Lewis.
    Nah, even further. In 1996, the NBA handed out it's first $100M contract - to Juwan Howard. That basically led to the 99 lockout. The NBA didn't properly fix it's mistake, so history repeated itself with contracts like Allan Houston and Rashard Lewis which eventually led to 2011 lockout. They finally added a hard cap, that's fixed the problem. Then the TV deal and cap boom happened and there was a whole new mess lol.

Quote Originally Posted by FOXHOUND View Post
    Nah, even further. In 1996, the NBA handed out it's first $100M contract - to Juwan Howard. That basically led to the 99 lockout. The NBA didn't properly fix it's mistake, so history repeated itself with contracts like Allan Houston and Rashard Lewis which eventually led to 2011 lockout. They finally added a hard cap, that's fixed the problem. Then the TV deal and cap boom happened and there was a whole new mess lol.
    That's the one I was thinking about.

No player is worth money. Only person I'd pay that money to is Michael Jordan and he didn't even get paid max until the back end of his career.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast