Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 1 of 19 12311 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 285
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    4,447

    Deals you would take back

    A few keep bringing up the statement that AA left the the cupboards bare.

    You know my opinion of AA's tenure here so I won't bother you with it again.

    I would honestly like to know which deals you would have done differently and also consider the situation this team at the time of said trade.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    2,100
    they'll all say the dickey trade, but i was here that day in fact it was when i came here and there was not a single jays fan who was against it, in fact I was told by several Jays fans that Aaron Sanchez was the better prospect and that Syndergaard was likely to end up in the bullpen

    most fans have 20-20 hindsight with these things alot dont have the character it takes to be honest after the fact

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    23,837
    All the ones in 2015. I had no problem honestly with any of the big ones before that, because the core of the team wasn't getting long in the tooth at that point and the pipeline was still pretty full. I'd say that Anthopolous got impatient but i sincerely believe he knew he was bouncing and thought what the hell why not. And I'd be lying if i said i did not enjoy it while it lasted.
    Quote Originally Posted by nycericanguy View Post
    well unfortunately it looks like you were right about Bargs...

    but hopefully we can use his expiring, if not at least we unloaded Novak's deal...

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    28,238
    Knowing what we know now I wish the Dickey deal could be undone. If they had made the playoffs in 13 and/or 14 it would sting less. I don't see how anyone could hate the 15 deals. I get they dealt a lot of prospects, but they were arguably the best team that year. Even if they don't make the deals in 15 the team is likely in a similar spot, but without the 15 and 16 runs.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Ontario
    Posts
    10,728
    Probably the Happ trade, when we acquired him. It's hard to think of one that was really bad at the time.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Brampton, Ontario
    Posts
    28,561
    Nov. 28, 2014: Acquires Josh Donaldson from the Oakland Athletics for Brett Lawrie, Kendall Graveman, Sean Nolin and Franklin Barreto.

    Fantastic trade. Anytime you have the opportunity to add an MVP calibre player you do it, regardless of the cost. The cost was low, doesn't matter what Barreto becomes. Graveman is an okay MLB pitcher at best, Nolin sucks and Lawrie got DFAd. A+.


    Jan. 21, 2011: Trades Vernon Wells to L.A. Angels for Mike Napoli and Juan Rivera.

    On some days I still masturbate to this. A+++.



    Nov. 1, 2014: Acquires Marco Estrada from the Milwaukee Brewers for Adam Lind.

    I didn't like this trade one bit. This one was similar to how I felt when we traded Hendricks for Chavez, so its a weird one. Off the bat, I'd give it a C, now I have to give it an A.


    Dec. 16, 2009: Trades Roy Halladay to the Philadelphia Phillies for Kyle Drabek, Travis d’Arnaud and Michael Taylor.

    At the time the trade was made, I'd have given it a B. I mean, he was limited to his options where Doc could go right. In terms of prospect rankings, again, it was a B. But thats the thing with prospects, they dont always pan out regardless of how good they're rated. So now, its gota be a C/D. This is the first bad one.


    Nov. 3, 2012: Trades Mike Aviles and Yan Gomes to the Cleveland Indians for Esmil Rogers.

    At the time, a minor deal. Didn't give a **** about this, no one knew Gomes was going to blow up. Grade = NA at the time of the trade cus it didnt matter, grade now that we see the results is a D.



    Nov. 19, 2012: Trades Justin Nicolino, Henderson Alvarez, Anthony DeSclafani, Yunel Escobar, Adeiny Hechavarria, Jake Marisnick and Jeff Mathis to the Miami Marlins for John Buck, Emilio Bonifacio, Mark Buehrle, Josh Johnson and Jose Reyes.

    I was completely okay with this trade and I still am. Nicolino didnt pan out. Alvarez threw some heat but it was straight heat, didnt work out, I think hes still unsigned no? I think Descalafani stuck as like a 4th OF in a Chris Heisey role but nothing of note. Yunel is cool as a depth infielder, nothing special. Hechavarria is like Ryan Goins. Mathis was 60. Marinsick has generated 2.8 WAR since 2013, of this 2.8 WAR, 1.9 of it came in one season. So basically, we gave them trash. Mark Buehrles value to the rotation and as a mentor + Jose Reyes' early couple of seasons here probably offset the value of what we gave up. Josh Johnson was the big wildcard, unfortunately he didnt pan out and thats okay. At the time, I gave it a B+, now, I'd give it a B.



    Nov. 13, 2014: Acquires Devon Travis from the Detroit Tigers for Anthony Gose

    A at the time, A now. Doesnt matter if Travis doesnt become as good and consistent as we think, anything he provides is surplus value to that of Gose. Gose has the same amount of value to the MLB as me writing this.

    July 28, 2015: Acquires Troy Tulowitzki and LaTroy Hawkins for Jeff Hoffman, Jesus Tinoco, Miguel Castro and Jose Reyes.

    Castros on waivers, if Hoffman doesnt pan out its a great deal. Even if Hoffman pans out, it probably just becomes equal. Say what you want about Tulo but hes played 188 games and has generated 4.5 WAR in that. Hes still a premium player, just not the franchise talent he was earlier. B+ at the time, will wait to evaluate now.


    July 30, 2015: Acquires David Price from the Detroit Tigers for Daniel Norris, Matt Boyd and Jairo Labourt.

    All ****ing day. When you go for it, you go for it. A+ at the time, results were A+ even after. Norris doesnt look anything special and Boyd is a 6/7 starter. Labourts a cool name for a new beer.

    Dec. 17, 2012: Trades Noah Syndergaard, Travis d’Arnaud, John Buck and Wuilmer Becerra to the New York Mets for R.A. Dickey, Josh Thole and Mike Nickeas.

    At the time we all liked it, I gave it a B+ at the time. In hindsight its obviously an F.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Brampton, Ontario
    Posts
    28,561
    But what I want to say in regards to my post above.. man just look at the names involved with our organization. I was just so happy that for once, we had a GM with a vision. We had a man who wanted to win the world series and place all-stars at every position on the field.

    Before AA came in, we were never ****ing around with premium talent like Tulo, Donaldson, Price. He understood the mediocrity we were living in, and to change the culture of the organization you have to take RISKS. He had the confidence in himself and his scouts to continue beefing up the farm, and he took advantage of that by using the farm to complete his vision.

    AA completely turned this franchise around for the better with his creativity in exploring loop holes to get draft picks, and making trades like somehow dumping the Wells contract and getting an asset or two in return. Its mind boggling how much we should appreciate this man because he truly gave us, or atleast me, a 22 year old born in 95 that wasn;t around in 92-93, the glory years of Blue Jays baseball.

    For once, we werent the laughing stock in the league. For once, people look at the AL East and said ****, we dont wana go to Canada and play the Blue Jays. People looked at us and thought of us as an absolute powerhouse. He put together his vision on paper in 2015 when we fielded this:

    C: Russell Martin --> all star calibre
    1B: Edwin Encarnacion --> all star calibre
    2B: Devon Travis
    SS: Jose Reyes
    3B: Josh Donaldson --> all star calibre
    LF: Dalton Pompey --> error
    CF: Kevin Pillar --> 4-5 WAR CFer, not an allstar but as good as it gets in one of the thinnest positions
    RF: Jose Bautista --> all star calibre

    There were two places on this roster that were true holes. LF, and SS that year because it was Jose Reyes' first year declining THAT hard. So he added Troy Tulowitzki and completed his vision, Travis and Pillar are absolutely solid players at thin positions. So when you work this hard to put together this type of roster, in a city where we're STARVING for a championship....

    **** I would have been more mad if AA DID NOT go all in at the deadline.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    2,100
    Quote Originally Posted by TO Rapz View Post
    But what I want to say in regards to my post above.. man just look at the names involved with our organization. I was just so happy that for once, we had a GM with a vision. We had a man who wanted to win the world series and place all-stars at every position on the field.

    Before AA came in, we were never ****ing around with premium talent like Tulo, Donaldson, Price. He understood the mediocrity we were living in, and to change the culture of the organization you have to take RISKS. He had the confidence in himself and his scouts to continue beefing up the farm, and he took advantage of that by using the farm to complete his vision.

    AA completely turned this franchise around for the better with his creativity in exploring loop holes to get draft picks, and making trades like somehow dumping the Wells contract and getting an asset or two in return. Its mind boggling how much we should appreciate this man because he truly gave us, or atleast me, a 22 year old born in 95 that wasn;t around in 92-93, the glory years of Blue Jays baseball.

    For once, we werent the laughing stock in the league. For once, people look at the AL East and said ****, we dont wana go to Canada and play the Blue Jays. People looked at us and thought of us as an absolute powerhouse. He put together his vision on paper in 2015 when we fielded this:

    C: Russell Martin --> all star calibre
    1B: Edwin Encarnacion --> all star calibre
    2B: Devon Travis
    SS: Jose Reyes
    3B: Josh Donaldson --> all star calibre
    LF: Dalton Pompey --> error
    CF: Kevin Pillar --> 4-5 WAR CFer, not an allstar but as good as it gets in one of the thinnest positions
    RF: Jose Bautista --> all star calibre

    There were two places on this roster that were true holes. LF, and SS that year because it was Jose Reyes' first year declining THAT hard. So he added Troy Tulowitzki and completed his vision, Travis and Pillar are absolutely solid players at thin positions. So when you work this hard to put together this type of roster, in a city where we're STARVING for a championship....
    aving the cupboard bare
    **** I would have been more mad if AA DID NOT go all in at the deadline.
    amen, beautifully said, this is why everyone who whines and moans about AA leaving the cupboard bare is crazy.

    this is what a GM is supposed to do

    me, personally, I think the reason this team is so bad right now is because of Shapiro, all shapiro has done since he got here is add middle aged players and draft, and AA could have signed Vlad JR just as easily.....

    Shapiro was replaced as GM in cleveland because he was a financial guy and a bad GM. All he's done since getting here is blame AA for his own inability to discover talent thats it. people forget Cleveland did nothing during Shapiro's tenure as GM and it wasnt until Shapiro was moved upstairs that they became a good team. Shapiro will help the bottom line, no question but Rogers has enough beancounters....We need a GM that can identify talent
    Last edited by mikepelfrey; 04-30-2017 at 06:02 AM.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    2,094
    Pearce (6.25m/2 yrs) / Thames (5.33m/3 yrs + optional 7.5m 4th yr.)

    Period.

    Thames is the present version of Jose 2013/EE 2014 just before their breakouts.

    These beancounting jokers ain't got it. Get AA back.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Ontario
    Posts
    10,728
    Quote Originally Posted by superfio View Post
    Pearce (6.25m/2 yrs) / Thames (5.33m/3 yrs + optional 7.5m 4th yr.)

    Period.

    Thames is the present version of Jose 2013/EE 2014 just before their breakouts.

    These beancounting jokers ain't got it. Get AA back.
    28 other teams also didn't sign Thames. And aa is on a team that didn't.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    54,976
    I never wanted the Dickey one. I didn't like the Price deal because I really liked Norris, but I guess pretty hard to take that one since that led us to the playoffs.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    243
    Quote Originally Posted by TRIUMPHATOR View Post
    A few keep bringing up the statement that AA left the the cupboards bare.

    You know my opinion of AA's tenure here so I won't bother you with it again.

    I would honestly like to know which deals you would have done differently and also consider the situation this team at the time of said trade.
    It is a know fact that i am huge AA supporter, I have been perplexed by people blaming our start on him, saying he left the minors bare especially when he went for it in that last year he was here, well my question is which of the traded players would have contributed to the team this year, as for the life in me, i cant see anyone. And dont go back to thor, as he rebuilt the minors since that time.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    54,976
    If AA was here and we were off to this start, he'd probably just keep wheeling and dealing. Replenish the farm this year at the deadline then trade it for guys with more control later on in the offseason.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    4,447
    Love the above comments.

    No condescension, just plain opinion.

    To add, I really wish AA had never left.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    7,145
    He didn't even leave the cupboards bare. He signed Vlad and kept Alford, Tellez SRF and several others. Only a few of the current top prospects were brought in after AA. he held onto the young standout mlb talent as well.

Page 1 of 19 12311 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •