Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Midnightbottle View Post
    I have a alcohol problem. I'm drunk as I type this and a lot of my posts here. This isn't a hey I drink sometimes thing. I drink upwards of twenty or more beers by myself three times a week and every Saturday with a friend.

Sent from my SPH-L520 using Tapatalk
    Jeez. I knew a guy like you.

Ever consider non-alcoholic beer or low calorie beer? The little things like ingredients can make 20 beers seem like itís either a lot less or a lot more - if that makes any sense.

The stupidest thing Iíve ever done was pick up cigarettes. Itís been 3 months and some change since I stopped...I still use electric but I feel a lot better than I did just 6 months ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Kinkotheclown View Post
    Given his name I was kind of hoping for a meth-head for juxtaposition
    ....but meth(TONE) just doesn't sound as good.
    Last edited by spliff(TONE); 03-03-2018 at 02:49 PM.

PSD: where the moderators consistently cave to crybaby tattletales and it's a lot safer to be openly racist, hateful, and ignorant than to be a little rude to the racist, hateful, and ignorant

I definitely have a drinking problem but I have it down to one day a week. I may have one or two beers Monday-Thursday but on Friday nights I binge and always get loaded. I've been drinking since I was 13 and basically got drunk every single weekend from the age of 16 to my early 20's. I'm 28 now and hangovers never really bothered me until the last few years but lately these Friday nights have left me incapacitated and in bed by 9pm the following Saturday.

I'm fully aware that what I'm doing isn't good yet I'm still doing it. I'm an amateur comic so I hang out in bars almost every night and have no problem resisting the urge to drink. I just give myself that one night to let loose and always seem to over do it.
    Quote Originally Posted by ChongInc. View Post
    Facts can be hypothetical.

I've always liked marijuana way more than alcohol. I'll have 2-4 beers a handful of times per month but rarely a day goes by that I don't get high. Used to smoke a quarter ounce (aka 7 grams) per day, now I smoke closer to a single gram per day.

My life really revolved around smoking in my 20's but now it's easy to take breaks when I feel like it or need be. It's an easy excuse to shoot the **** with old friends when there's nothing much to do if nothing else. Def an enjoyable companion to playing music, listening to music, and watching TV too.
    Last edited by spliff(TONE); 03-03-2018 at 03:44 PM.

PSD: where the moderators consistently cave to crybaby tattletales and it's a lot safer to be openly racist, hateful, and ignorant than to be a little rude to the racist, hateful, and ignorant

Quote Originally Posted by spliff(TONE) View Post
    I've always liked marijuana way more than alcohol. I'll have 2-4 beers a handful of times per month but rarely a day goes by that I don't get high. Used to smoke a quarter ounce (aka 7 grams) per day, now I smoke closer to a single gram per day.

My life really revolved around smoking in my 20's but now it's easy to take breaks when I feel like it or need be. It's an easy excuse to shoot the **** with old friends when there's nothing much to do if nothing else. Def an enjoyable companion to playing music, listening to music, and watching TV too.
    I may be the Canadian you.

Yeah, buddy.

Quote Originally Posted by spliff(TONE) View Post
    Yeah, buddy.
    Now you sound like you belong on the Jersey Shore.

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkeye15:32200554
    Quote Originally Posted by No_LoavingLV View Post
    I suffered from food addiction. I was 438 lbs at one point now at 170 lbs. I had a 64 inch waist now I am a 34 in waist. I had Gastric Bypass surgery in 2009.

Eating is like any other addiction except I have to have it unlike drugs or alcohol. They sling it everywhere to.

I have to do things like use small plates and utensils when I eat. If I want chips I pour some in a bowl and put the bag back in the cupboard.
    oh for sure food can be an addiction. Did you seek help for it, or were you able to make life changes by yourself?
    I had gastric bypass weight loss surgery in 2009. I was a athlete in my youth and was in great shape. Depression, a head injury, life changes just all caught up with me and I was not prepared to handle it. The more weight I put on the harder it became to lose.

I had to go to therapy and weight loss support groups before the surgery. I am glad I did because it helped me manage the addiction part of over eating. I have seen people get the same surgery as I and gain their weight back 5-7 years later.

Quote Originally Posted by KobeOwnSU:32203144
    Quote Originally Posted by No_LoavingLV View Post
    I suffered from food addiction. I was 438 lbs at one point now at 170 lbs. I had a 64 inch waist now I am a 34 in waist. I had Gastric Bypass surgery in 2009.

Eating is like any other addiction except I have to have it unlike drugs or alcohol. They sling it everywhere to.

I have to do things like use small plates and utensils when I eat. If I want chips I pour some in a bowl and put the bag back in the cupboard.
    Nice. Keep it up.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
    Ty man!

Quote Originally Posted by Zmaster52:32203589
    The stupidest thing I’ve ever done was pick up cigarettes. It’s been 3 months and some change since I stopped...I still use electric but I feel a lot better than I did just 6 months ago.
    I quit for 2 years prior to my weight loss surgery. The day after surgery when I got home I could not eat anything. My neighbor was outside smoking, I asked her for one, and started right back up. I smoke a lack every 2 days..... Not bad but not good. Kudos with your 3 months of not smoking and wishing you well brother.
    Last edited by No_LoavingLV; 03-05-2018 at 02:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by spliff(TONE):32203847

I smoke about 4/12 grams weekly. I maybe have one mixed drink a week when I play poker. I have always loved my herb.

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkeye15 View Post
    Has anyone here struggled with drugs, alcohol, food, or any other addiction?

I ask because I stopped drinking on December 30, went to rehab, and learned a ton about the disease, myself, etc. Was wondering if anyone else had experiences to share..

PSDA (ProSportsDailyAnonymous)
    First off, congrats and best of luck working through all of that! I have a family of addicts (alcoholic dad, drug addicted brother) and I've seen first hand what it's like to accept the problem, work through it, then I've seen both success and failure after that. It's not easy, so sincerely, congrats.

Outside of loved ones, the only addiction I ever dealt with is smoking cigarettes. I smoked from 8th grade through senior year of college. I was at a pack per day by end of High School and close to 2 through college. The chemical side of it made it seem impossible to overcome, never mind the habitual side. What compounded the issue is that (and its the reason I started) I loved the taste. It wasn't just a stress or social thing, I just loved it.

In the end, I fell in love with a track star g/f (now wife). She never even asked me to quit, but at some point it just felt stupid to keep smoking around someone who hated it. Then one day I had a nasty cough and weird pain in my chest. Crumbled up the pack, threw it out and never looked back. But man oh man was that hard....

Roping back around. I went to the Wolves game on Saturday night, and was offered a beer. I can happily say I had zero interest in drinking it. Not even a sip. I realized I have some resentment towards alcohol. Not when others drink it, meaning, I don't care at all when people drink around me. I wouldn't be at a bar any longer, but socially it doesn't bother me. But I thought about it a lot the last few days, and there is no way I will ever drink again. I feel like I gave nearly half my life to drinking. It controlled what I did, who I spent time with, who I wanted to hang out with, who I avoided, everything. I spent so much time in front of a mirror looking at myself in disgust from 2014-2017, and I have this pure hatred for it. I have been able to be disciplined in everything in my life, except alcohol.

The biggest part of it all, is that I just KNOW if I take a sip, I will be right back to 15-16 beers a day, every single day.

My mom got to see me get sober before she passed, which is something that will always be important to me. I almost feel like I need to control my addiction for so many reasons that aren't me, when ultimately I understand the only way I can control it is for me.

Sorry for the rant. I used to talk to my Mom about things like this. it's been over 13 months since I had a sip of booze, and I feel like it's been 20 years since my last drink. Odd
    That's awesome man. So great to hear!

Quote Originally Posted by GGGGG-Men View Post
    First off, congrats and best of luck working through all of that! I have a family of addicts (alcoholic dad, drug addicted brother) and I've seen first hand what it's like to accept the problem, work through it, then I've seen both success and failure after that. It's not easy, so sincerely, congrats.

Outside of loved ones, the only addiction I ever dealt with is smoking cigarettes. I smoked from 8th grade through senior year of college. I was at a pack per day by end of High School and close to 2 through college. The chemical side of it made it seem impossible to overcome, never mind the habitual side. What compounded the issue is that (and its the reason I started) I loved the taste. It wasn't just a stress or social thing, I just loved it.

In the end, I fell in love with a track star g/f (now wife). She never even asked me to quit, but at some point it just felt stupid to keep smoking around someone who hated it. Then one day I had a nasty cough and weird pain in my chest. Crumbled up the pack, threw it out and never looked back. But man oh man was that hard....
    my Mom died of lung cancer back in November, her Mom dies of emphysema, so cigs never appealed to me, I saw from an early age how bad it was. My siblings, all 3, smoked though. They said it was the hardest thing to quit for them over anything else.

Rehab is unique. I have a huge support system, my wife, my Mom when she was here, my siblings and Dad, are all so supportive. So when I was in classes, and you see a person who comes from addicts, who is surrounded by addicts, and you see people who are literally throwing their lives away because of their addiction, you worry about them. Like, it will be a miracle if that kid whose entire world of people abuse around him/her, can get clean. How does a man who killed 3 people in a drunk driving accident, and threw away a great life, move on? I really learned a lot about the power of addiction. I used to think everything in life is a choice. And while the path of addiction starts as a choice, at some point, the addiction starts making the choices. I never really understood that.

The other thing I loved about rehab, was that a person from a completely different background, ethnicity, education level, anything, could share something with me, and I could share something with them, and we bonded because of it. I told things to my class members that I would never tell my own wife.

I haven't gone back since, because I have had zero urges. If I ever did, I will be headed straight back to AA classes, they have them everywhere. I know I am the one who went through it all, and gave myself to the treatment entirely, but going was arguably the best decision I have ever made for my health, and for my life in general. I had a daughter born 2 weeks after I completed the class, and the reason I went in the first place, was I as 41, and had a random thought one day that I would never walk her down the aisle if I didn't stop. Because I would be dead. It was the saddest moment I have ever had to that point. I guess it's odd what causes a major change in us..
    Last edited by Hawkeye15; 03-06-2018 at 10:31 AM.

If you want the ultimate, you've got to be willing to pay the ultimate price. It's not tragic to die doing what you love.

Quote Originally Posted by GGGGG-Men View Post
    my Mom died of lung cancer back in November, her Mom dies of emphysema, so cigs never appealed to me. My siblings, all 3, smoked though. They said it was the hardest thing to quit for them over anything else. ...
    My mom died from non-small cell carcinoma of the lungs. It could have started with second-hand smoke from my dad (non-stop chain smoker) who killed himself a decade earlier. Not only did he kill himself, but there's a chance he "killed" my mother as well. But who's to know?

Glad you both kicked the habit. It's nasty and it could affect family.
    Last edited by Dugmet; 03-06-2018 at 11:40 AM.
    ďIt is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, at least fails while daring greatly.Ē -- Teddy Roosevelt

my Mom died of lung cancer back in November, her Mom dies of emphysema, so cigs never appealed to me, I saw from an early age how bad it was. My siblings, all 3, smoked though. They said it was the hardest thing to quit for them over anything else.

Rehab is unique. I have a huge support system, my wife, my Mom when she was here, my siblings and Dad, are all so supportive. So when I was in classes, and you see a person who comes from addicts, who is surrounded by addicts, and you see people who are literally throwing their lives away because of their addiction, you worry about them. Like, it will be a miracle if that kid whose entire world of people abuse around him/her, can get clean. How does a man who killed 3 people in a drunk driving accident, and threw away a great life, move on? I really learned a lot about the power of addiction. I used to think everything in life is a choice. And while the path of addiction starts as a choice, at some point, the addiction starts making the choices. I never really understood that.

The other thing I loved about rehab, was that a person from a completely different background, ethnicity, education level, anything, could share something with me, and I could share something with them, and we bonded because of it. I told things to my class members that I would never tell my own wife.

I haven't gone back since, because I have had zero urges. If I ever did, I will be headed straight back to AA classes, they have them everywhere. I know I am the one who went through it all, and gave myself to the treatment entirely, but going was arguably the best decision I have ever made for my health, and for my life in general. I had a daughter born 2 weeks after I completed the class, and the reason I went in the first place, was I as 41, and had a random thought one day that I would never walk her down the aisle if I didn't stop. Because I would be dead. It was the saddest moment I have ever had to that point. I guess it's odd what causes a major change in us..
    Yeah I watched my grandfather go through cancer from smoking and a few other relatives. Never stopped me, but I was young&dumb and stressed, so it was an easy fix.

The support system is whats key to getting through all of that. It's great you have family around to help you. I watched my dad give up drinking after 40+ years of it. Took a nasty event for him to finally give it up, but all for the better now.

Quote Originally Posted by Dugmet View Post
    My mom died from non-small cell carcinoma of the lungs. It could have started with second-hand smoke from my dad (non-stop chain smoker) who killed himself a decade earlier. Not only did he kill himself, but there's a chance he "killed" my mother as well. But who's to know?

Glad you both kicked the habit. It's nasty and it could affect family.
    It's pretty disgusting and I don't know how I ever did it. Crazy thing is, every so often I'll get this sudden urge for one and it sounds so good. Haven't touched one in 16 years now and wouldn't take even a drag.

Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast