Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by R. Johnson#3 View Post
    Sucks to hear about your friends but the reality is that you'll probably have to keep them out of your life considering alcohol was involved in almost everything you did. I couldn't imagine having to cut family out but if push came to shove it would have to be done. My father had his own personal battle with alcohol as well and has told me all about it. He's been sober now for 20 years or so.

People don't really focus on surroundings when talking about addiction, just physical and mental aspects within yourself. The reason I brought it up was because when I was using we'd all go to my friends apartment prior to going out. By 7 or 8pm lines of coke were already busted out and MDMA/ecstacy would get going along with the alcohol. None of us saw anything wrong with it because we were all taking part and having fun. This was every single weekend for a good 2 years by the way. Looking back on it all I consider myself lucky to still be here. I never got depressed while using but definitely had more than enough nights where I did insane amounts of drugs that could put most people in the hospital.
    well, it's easy to think it's "normal", when a group of people you are with all do it.

I hope to tell my daughter I am a 20 year recovering alcoholic some day. It's been 115 days for me haha. Not quite there..

If you want the ultimate, you've got to be willing to pay the ultimate price. It's not tragic to die doing what you love.

glad you guys are in recovery

I have never had any issues with drugs. That's because, I've never done any form of drug (outside of norco for a surgery, which i only used half the bottle if that). In the past, I thought maybe I had a problem with masturbation. Luckily it wasn't taking control of my life, before I realized that it one day might.

But, I do have family members with drug and alcohol histories. My mom with both of the aforementioned. She's been clean for as long as I could remember. I don't remember her having a single drop of alcohol. At least not in front of me? Maybe she did when I wasn't with her on the weekends (divorced parents).

I drink socially, and am grateful that I don't have the addictive personality and genes that a few of my family members have.

never been a slave to smoking or drinking....its the horse track that gets me at times
    ....coooookie

Struggled, or embraced? Cigarettes get me. I want one every minute of every day. If they didn't cause cancer I'd smoke a couple packs a day.

My moms a recovering alcoholic, so I gave up drinking anything about 7 years ago. I do smoke pot almost daily but don't consider it an addiction as I don't fiend for it and it doesn't bother me to not have it.

Hey, hey, hey, hey: https://youtu.be/OcZAsLekb9c

PSD: where the moderators consistently cave to crybaby tattletales and it's a lot safer to be openly racist, hateful, and ignorant than to be a little rude to the racist, hateful, and ignorant

is it unnatural for you drinkers to go to bed without booze? How do you change this?

Quote Originally Posted by Raps08-09 Champ View Post
    My dick is named 'Ewing'.

Somewhere within the transmutation of Yin and Yang
    Quote Originally Posted by ewing View Post
    is it unnatural for you drinkers to go to bed without booze? How do you change this?
    There are many things that can help calm the mind and body but the simplest can be something like Valium for a short while till you can asleep. It is a muscle relaxer and anti anxiety so it can take off the edge and allow someone to relax enough that they fall asleep.

Many will simply roll cold turkey and deal with not sleeping until you finally get past the first week and crash.

Ignorance is bliss

Quote Originally Posted by Kinkotheclown View Post
    There are many things that can help calm the mind and body but the simplest can be something like Valium for a short while till you can asleep. It is a muscle relaxer and anti anxiety so it can take off the edge and allow someone to relax enough that they fall asleep.

Many will simply roll cold turkey and deal with not sleeping until you finally get past the first week and crash.
    the first couple of weeks after I stopped drinking (after the first 2 sleepless nights), I just sweat. Sweat all the time. And gross sweat, it was bitter, and just gross. I also had some nightmares the first few weeks. Those were the only signs of withdrawal I had. Luckily around a month after I stopped, I started sleeping amazing. Remember how you slept when you were like 15? Yeah, that well haha

If you want the ultimate, you've got to be willing to pay the ultimate price. It's not tragic to die doing what you love.

Somewhere within the transmutation of Yin and Yang
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawkeye15 View Post
    the first couple of weeks after I stopped drinking (after the first 2 sleepless nights), I just sweat. Sweat all the time. And gross sweat, it was bitter, and just gross. I also had some nightmares the first few weeks. Those were the only signs of withdrawal I had. Luckily around a month after I stopped, I started sleeping amazing. Remember how you slept when you were like 15? Yeah, that well haha

My dad drank a quart of vodka a night and my mom left him so he chilled out until he got remarried. He vowed to stay off the hard stuff so instead, he ended up drinking 6 gallons of wine a week while alone and then would have wine with his wife at dinner. So basically a gallon a day.
    He was forced to quit when he had to have stents put in and had horrible withdrawal. He was medicated through it.
    He talked about the sweats. He of course went right back to it after the surgery and died of congestive heart failure within a couple weeks

I love booze. I always make sure to take some time away for periods of time. After a night or two, the sleep is insane. Restful, restorative and you wake up alert and happy. A nice sigh, a nice stretch an up you are.
    Coffee tastes amazing because you aren't in need of it for the sugar or the energy. Sugar cravings disappear.
    Vision improves. The ability to stay in the moment with your emotions and not fly off the handle changes dramatically.
    I quit for a year once. My cousin is clean and sober from the age of 17. He was on the deep end but found his way. I remember seeing him at Christmas and asking how I felt. I said, great.
    He got a big smile and said , "I'll bet a bunch of your friends aren't your friends anymore. In part because they are uncomfortable around you. In part because you realized you didn't actually like them. You just thought you did. But then you realized, two drunk people don't actually listen to each other, they just seem to be when actually you are each cheering on your own BS and thinking the other's interest and enthusiasm is about you and it''s not."
    I was like, damn. You're totally right. My friends changed big time. The real ones didn't but all the BS stopped.

Quitting something is a big deal.

Ignorance is bliss

Has anyone here struggled with drugs, alcohol, food, or any other addiction?

I ask because I stopped drinking on December 30, went to rehab, and learned a ton about the disease, myself, etc. Was wondering if anyone else had experiences to share..

PSDA (ProSportsDailyAnonymous)
    Congrats! That's an incredible thing to do. I have family that have gone through it and its a very rough road. All the best to ya!

Personally, I've quit smoking (smoked for 9 years, been off it for 15 years without even one puff) and it was insanely hard.

Currently I try to tame my caffeine addiction, but it might be worse than cigarettes.

Quote Originally Posted by mike_noodles View Post
    I do smoke pot almost daily but don't consider it an addiction as I don't fiend for it and it doesn't bother me to not have it.
    I hear you, I used to be addicted to that ****, I know cuz I used to fiend it. I still smoke daily, but it feels completely diff now, no fiendishness, no bother if empty. I think before I was tryina run away from my problems or some ****, had a completely diff effect

well, it's easy to think it's "normal", when a group of people you are with all do it.

I hope to tell my daughter I am a 20 year recovering alcoholic some day. It's been 115 days for me haha. Not quite there..
    Keep at it man and as long as you have her for your inspiration then it should work. Are you in any AA programs? If you are then get yourself a sponsor. My Dad still keeps in touch with his and it's not even for help/advice.

Quote Originally Posted by mike_noodles View Post
    Struggled, or embraced? Cigarettes get me. I want one every minute of every day. If they didn't cause cancer I'd smoke a couple packs a day.

My moms a recovering alcoholic, so I gave up drinking anything about 7 years ago. I do smoke pot almost daily but don't consider it an addiction as I don't fiend for it and it doesn't bother me to not have it.
    Quitting cigarettes was actually harder than coke for me. It took me a good 10 tries but I'm almost at 3 years now.

I'm with you on the weed. I used to be a major stoner but now I only smoke at the end of the day or on weekends where I'm planning to just walk my dog and play video games. I don't like getting fried and just wasting days on the couch anymore.

Roping back around. I went to the Wolves game on Saturday night, and was offered a beer. I can happily say I had zero interest in drinking it. Not even a sip. I realized I have some resentment towards alcohol. Not when others drink it, meaning, I don't care at all when people drink around me. I wouldn't be at a bar any longer, but socially it doesn't bother me. But I thought about it a lot the last few days, and there is no way I will ever drink again. I feel like I gave nearly half my life to drinking. It controlled what I did, who I spent time with, who I wanted to hang out with, who I avoided, everything. I spent so much time in front of a mirror looking at myself in disgust from 2014-2017, and I have this pure hatred for it. I have been able to be disciplined in everything in my life, except alcohol.

The biggest part of it all, is that I just KNOW if I take a sip, I will be right back to 15-16 beers a day, every single day.

My mom got to see me get sober before she passed, which is something that will always be important to me. I almost feel like I need to control my addiction for so many reasons that aren't me, when ultimately I understand the only way I can control it is for me.

Sorry for the rant. I used to talk to my Mom about things like this. it's been over 13 months since I had a sip of booze, and I feel like it's been 20 years since my last drink. Odd

I suffered from food addiction. I was 438 lbs at one point now at 170 lbs. I had a 64 inch waist now I am a 34 in waist. I had Gastric Bypass surgery in 2009.

Eating is like any other addiction except I have to have it unlike drugs or alcohol. They sling it everywhere to.

I have to do things like use small plates and utensils when I eat. If I want chips I pour some in a bowl and put the bag back in the cupboard.

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast