Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    Somewhere within the transmutation of Yin and Yang
    I drink too much but I also go in phases. I'll stop for periods of time but then go back at it. It' becomes a habit. Come home, have a beer, watch a game. I would say that I do have a drinking problem but I have never experienced any whithdwal signs when I stop.

Hawkeye, your description is interesting and directly in synch with the Chinese medicine perspective. Addiction was seen as a ghost possession or worms Regrading ghosts, There are were 4 phases discussed .
    1- person starts Dong something they've never really done and it isn't a big deal but people notice it (ghost appears)
    2- person starts changing behavior patterns to engage in the activity. It's still nothing big but they are doing hi ha at weird hours and chafing activities
    (Person is aligning with the ghost)
    3- person has now begun to act out of character. They can start lying or stealing. They may become abusive. They are defensive...
    (Person is in bed with the ghost)
    4-person no longer is conscious of their actions. (The ghost has taken over).

The ghost needs to be shown the way out and kept out.

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkeye15 View Post
    Has anyone here struggled with drugs, alcohol, food, or any other addiction?

I ask because I stopped drinking on December 30, went to rehab, and learned a ton about the disease, myself, etc. Was wondering if anyone else had experiences to share..

PSDA (ProSportsDailyAnonymous)
    Excellent. Glad for you. I've seen a number of lives ruined bu alcoholism.

My father was an alcoholic in the mid-70s -- before people talked about alcoholism as a disease. He died in a car crash as a failure. He ruined his life and was ruining the lives of his family. His brother ended up as a homeless bum in Phoenix, and another uncle died of liver failure due to alcoholism. When his partner's liver went bad a few years later, he shot himself in the head.
    “It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, at least fails while daring greatly.” -- Teddy Roosevelt

I have trouble not doing anything without drinking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Raps08-09 Champ View Post
    My dick is named 'Ewing'.

Quote Originally Posted by Kinkotheclown View Post
    I drink too much but I also go in phases. I'll stop for periods of time but then go back at it. It' becomes a habit. Come home, have a beer, watch a game. I would say that I do have a drinking problem but I have never experienced any whithdwal signs when I stop.

Hawkeye, your description is interesting and directly in synch with the Chinese medicine perspective. Addiction was seen as a ghost possession or worms Regrading ghosts, There are were 4 phases discussed .
    1- person starts Dong something they've never really done and it isn't a big deal but people notice it (ghost appears)
    2- person starts changing behavior patterns to engage in the activity. It's still nothing big but they are doing hi ha at weird hours and chafing activities
    (Person is aligning with the ghost)
    3- person has now begun to act out of character. They can start lying or stealing. They may become abusive. They are defensive...
    (Person is in bed with the ghost)
    4-person no longer is conscious of their actions. (The ghost has taken over).

The ghost needs to be shown the way out and kept out
    the Chinese also recommend exercise, meditation, and herbs for disease, which is in line with how they view what disease is..

If you want the ultimate, you've got to be willing to pay the ultimate price. It's not tragic to die doing what you love.

Somewhere within the transmutation of Yin and Yang
    the Chinese also recommend exercise, meditation, and herbs for disease, which is in line with how they view what disease is..
    Exactly. Mind, body and spirit all need to be addressed. If they aren't in synch, it's very tough to beat addiction or any other disease.

(Don't forget acupuncture )

Ignorance is bliss

Quote Originally Posted by Kinkotheclown View Post
    Exactly. Mind, body and spirit all need to be addressed. If they aren't in synch, it's very tough to beat addiction or any other disease.

(Don't forget acupuncture )
    I injured the high part of my hamstring, right by my ***, doing kicking drills, like 3 weeks prior to heading to China for a competition, and I went to an acupuncturist, and man, it helped. I couldn't sit for more than 30 mins at a time without it tightening (so the 13 hour plane ride sucked back and forth), but once I warmed up, I was all good. That made a believe of acupuncture big time.

If you want the ultimate, you've got to be willing to pay the ultimate price. It's not tragic to die doing what you love.

I tried acupuncture for my allergies/sinuses once. Eh, didn't really notice results. Granted that was like a one time thing so maybe if I went more?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack of Blades View Post
    I don't consider Brand New indie. I consider them ****ing awesome and don't belong to a genre.

Well done Hawkeye, how much did you used to drink mate?

Quote Originally Posted by ewing View Post
    I have trouble not doing anything without drinking.

Me to

Sent from my SPH-L520 using Tapatalk

I have a sugar addiction and am giving up my caffeine addiction today. Both addictions are fueled by stress. I've never drank or used any recreational drugs though

Official Edmunds/Vea Crew

Quote Originally Posted by Midnightbottle View Post
    Me to

Sent from my SPH-L520 using Tapatalk
    Do you mean like relaxing bc I am a super active person and attack my tasks my issue is when I stop. I can't just relax without a drink

Quote Originally Posted by Raps08-09 Champ View Post
    My dick is named 'Ewing'.

Alcohol is my mom and brother's vice.

Opiates were 2 of my brothers vices but no longer do them(1 is listed above as well)

I smoke bud, I generally smoke every night once or twice but I don't need to. I haven't had any since last Sunday (6 days) and have only smoked on Thursday when I smoked a single blunt with a buddy. Over the last six years I've quit for both nearly 2 years and 1 year. If I needed to quit to pass a drug test to get a new job I could easily stop on a dime to get over it.

Every time I quit smoking weed I gain an easy 15-20 pounds. Granted that puts me up to like 150-55. Probably due do drinking an extra time or 2 a week (usually drink one of Friday or Saturday night while smoking). The first time I quit it sucked balls for like 3-4 days and then to my surprise I stopped giving a **** about it entirely. As for sleeping, I go from sleeping like a rock to waking up multiple times a night - which is weird because when I was younger before the weed I never ever ever had that problem.

I used to smoke cigarettes but I haven't bought a pack in nearly 3 years, I smoke when I'm ********* but can't stand even smelling someone who smokes sober anymore. Cigarettes were also pretty easy for me to stop smoking regularly, first week sucked then I felt amazing.
    I've dabbled in my fair share of hard drugs, but I've never felt compelled to do them all the time. At one time I was doing quite a bit of the white stuff but it was easily accessible and free, I never wanted to buy a bag for myself though. Pills suck, idk why I did them even as little as I had - they just aren't worth it. Alcohol has especially never been something I would want to do all the time (college aside), probably due to watching my mom and hating everything about her addiction. But also I don't like how it makes me feel after even though I either get no to a mild hangover.
    Basically, I'm lucky not to have an addictive personality coming from two parents who have alcoholism running through their veins (my dad's mom literally drank herself to death)
    Last edited by Ezekial; 04-22-2017 at 04:39 PM.

Back on April 5 I celebrated 5 years cocaine free. I only did coke for 2 years but my usage sky rocketed over that time. It initially started out as splitting a half gram with a friend on a night out, then a half gram for myself, then a full gram etc. About a year into my coke use I got up to doing a half ball (1.7 grams) in a single night. My usage then slowly seeped into weeknights and even began following me to work. Week long binges began and I started to lose my real friends and replaced them with fellow drug abusers.

I'm thankful that I snapped out of it. It was a combination of things but the two biggest factors were when I thought I was having a heart attack and when my younger brother (who was 14 at the time) found a baggy. Those 2 incidents happened about a week apart and really made me take a step back and re evaluate my life. I didn't have to go to rehab and just stopped cold turkey. The combination of fear and guilt was enough for me.

For anyone going through addiction problems know this. You can't hang out with your friends who do drugs. They see it as normal and for some it is, but if you have addiction problems then drug use isn't normal. You need to distance yourself from that stuff and those people for quite a while and possibly forever. I hang out with a few of my friends who do coke again but have no desire to ever try it. The main reason I re connected is because we were friends before the drug use.

Quote Originally Posted by R. Johnson#3 View Post
    Back on April 5 I celebrated 5 years cocaine free. I only did coke for 2 years but my usage sky rocketed over that time. It initially started out as splitting a half gram with a friend on a night out, then a half gram for myself, then a full gram etc. About a year into my coke use I got up to doing a half ball (1.7 grams) in a single night. My usage then slowly seeped into weeknights and even began following me to work. Week long binges began and I started to lose my real friends and replaced them with fellow drug abusers.

I'm thankful that I snapped out of it. It was a combination of things but the two biggest factors were when I thought I was having a heart attack and when my younger brother (who was 14 at the time) found a baggy. Those 2 incidents happened about a week apart and really made me take a step back and re evaluate my life. I didn't have to go to rehab and just stopped cold turkey. The combination of fear and guilt was enough for me.

For anyone going through addiction problems know this. You can't hang out with your friends who do drugs. They see it as normal and for some it is, but if you have addiction problems then drug use isn't normal. You need to distance yourself from that stuff and those people for quite a while and possibly forever. I hang out with a few of my friends who do coke again but have no desire to ever try it. The main reason I re connected is because we were friends before the drug use.
    That is something I struggle with, in that my 2 best friends from college, and the couple of friends I still talk to that live in Houston (where I moved from 3 years ago), the only thing we EVER did, was get ****ed up while doing things. Nothing we ever did was done without alcohol. I am pretty sure I will not see them again, outside when I get potentially married, or another large event that involves the group. I know they won't be sober in any visit/event we go to, so why would I spend the money to fly and see them, if all that is going to be done is drinking. I am lucky, that my best friend from childhood that I always kept in contact with over the years, from Minnesota (where I moved back to 3 years ago), barely drinks, so around me he won't even drink. My sisters and their husbands aren't really drinkers, so all good.

You are right, it's a life style change, and that means, the people you used with are gone. The tough part is when it's family. Luckily you didn't run into that. When I was at treatment, so many of the people there come from families of users, many/most of which are active users. That is just a recipe for failed recovery, unless you have a system of support in place within that dichotomy.

That is something I struggle with, in that my 2 best friends from college, and the couple of friends I still talk to that live in Houston (where I moved from 3 years ago), the only thing we EVER did, was get ****ed up while doing things. Nothing we ever did was done without alcohol. I am pretty sure I will not see them again, outside when I get potentially married, or another large event that involves the group. I know they won't be sober in any visit/event we go to, so why would I spend the money to fly and see them, if all that is going to be done is drinking. I am lucky, that my best friend from childhood that I always kept in contact with over the years, from Minnesota (where I moved back to 3 years ago), barely drinks, so around me he won't even drink. My sisters and their husbands aren't really drinkers, so all good.

You are right, it's a life style change, and that means, the people you used with are gone. The tough part is when it's family. Luckily you didn't run into that. When I was at treatment, so many of the people there come from families of users, many/most of which are active users. That is just a recipe for failed recovery, unless you have a system of support in place within that dichotomy.
    Sucks to hear about your friends but the reality is that you'll probably have to keep them out of your life considering alcohol was involved in almost everything you did. I couldn't imagine having to cut family out but if push came to shove it would have to be done. My father had his own personal battle with alcohol as well and has told me all about it. He's been sober now for 20 years or so.

People don't really focus on surroundings when talking about addiction, just physical and mental aspects within yourself. The reason I brought it up was because when I was using we'd all go to my friends apartment prior to going out. By 7 or 8pm lines of coke were already busted out and MDMA/ecstacy would get going along with the alcohol. None of us saw anything wrong with it because we were all taking part and having fun. This was every single weekend for a good 2 years by the way. Looking back on it all I consider myself lucky to still be here. I never got depressed while using but definitely had more than enough nights where I did insane amounts of drugs that could put most people in the hospital.
    Quote Originally Posted by ChongInc. View Post
    Facts can be hypothetical.

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast