Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Anyone ever struggled with addictions?

Has anyone here struggled with drugs, alcohol, food, or any other addiction?

I ask because I stopped drinking on December 30, went to rehab, and learned a ton about the disease, myself, etc. Was wondering if anyone else had experiences to share..

PSDA (ProSportsDailyAnonymous)

If you want the ultimate, you've got to be willing to pay the ultimate price. It's not tragic to die doing what you love.

How is it anonymous god dammit
    If Trump can become president with no political background then I don't understand why I need a resumé

I just quit drinking for a while made it 3 weeks and had a few beers last night. I'm not gonna lie I'm disappointed in myself but it wasn't because I was dying for a drink I was at a comedy show for my bday and was bought a few beers.

Also not quitting cause I'm a raging alcoholic just needed to cleanse for a while and just be healthy. I just dropped big bucks on a new mountain bike so I gotta get in shape and ride all the time and drinking every night doesn't help that at all so I toned it down.

Back at it again day 1

Also good for you man it's a tough beast to slay and I hope you have good support. That's the thing everyone I know except my fiancé and my cousin just give me a weird look and question me why I'm doing it. No help what so ever but what ever I want to be better
    One More Time

I never have (well I've over drank and over ate but not sure if it was ever classified as an addiction since I haven't had a drink in a couple weeks and am dieting now) but I've been effected by someone close that had it.

My mom was a functioning alcoholic. She could go to bed at 2 am on pain killers and bottles of wine/vodka on a tuesday and get up at 6 am and travel hours on end and go to meetings perfectly fine (she was a marketer where her territory had a radius of up to 3 hours in a day). It was rough because she has MS (diagnosed when she was in her early 20s; 53 now) and an ******* of a husband (ex now) so she pretty much drank to get away.

She still drinks occasionally but the day, 10 am, I was called by my youngest sister (she had to be like 15 at the time) to come home from work because my mom was supposed to be watching my nephew (2) but was drunk off her *** sitting on the rocking chair. I got home and basically smacked her across the face to wake up and all she did was gargle at me and smirk. I called the ambulance (I worked in the ER as a registrar at the time so I knew basically ALL the EMS guys) to come get her because when I tried to get her up out of the chair to the couch/bed she collapsed on me. She got to the hospital and was combative in the ambulance and to the nurses. I got there and she looked me dead in the eye saying how I was a horrible son to do this to her. Already having an ******* dad that disowned us and now having my mother say that, didn't feel too good.

I wish I could've said that was the last time she ever drank or was a wake up call, but it wasn't. My brother and sister in law refused her to see their son, her grandson, for years without them being there.

Addiction is real and it's more of a burden to the people around you than it is to you.

I had a dui, almost 3 years ago now, and I heard stories upon stories of people having multiple DUIs and also drug problems. This one guy lost everything, family, kids, parents, job, house, friends because of his alcoholism. He was clean for a couple years and relapsed. ****'s crazy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack of Blades View Post
    I don't consider Brand New indie. I consider them ****ing awesome and don't belong to a genre.

I've never liked drinking. I've always felt it was disgusting and I hated not having control over myself.

I do smoke pot, probably way too much. It makes me lethargic and uninterested but it also keeps me from having angry outbursts. If I go without smoking I either feel like **** or my stomach kills me (I can't eat unless I smoke)

My problem has always been undereating. I'm severely underweight and I always wake up with ether stomach pains or nausea - which leads to the pot smoking, regardless of what my diet might be. Doctors haven't offered any help so I just self medicate, something my shrink advises heavily against.

TL;DR I can't eat, can't sleep and am depressed. My mood is occasionally fine when I don't smoke but eating is almost always a no
    If Trump can become president with no political background then I don't understand why I need a resumé

I am a heavy smoker and used to have issues with morning nausea. Grew out of it.

I usually just force down a small bowl of cereal, so I have something in the stomach before lunch and generally don't smoke until lunch or later.

Always been a great sleeper since I started burning every day.

PSD: where the moderators consistently cave to crybaby tattletales and it's a lot safer to be openly racist, hateful, and ignorant than to be a little rude to the racist, hateful, and ignorant

Quote Originally Posted by koldjerky View Post
    I never have (well I've over drank and over ate but not sure if it was ever classified as an addiction since I haven't had a drink in a couple weeks and am dieting now) but I've been effected by someone close that had it.

My mom was a functioning alcoholic. She could go to bed at 2 am on pain killers and bottles of wine/vodka on a tuesday and get up at 6 am and travel hours on end and go to meetings perfectly fine (she was a marketer where her territory had a radius of up to 3 hours in a day). It was rough because she has MS (diagnosed when she was in her early 20s; 53 now) and an ******* of a husband (ex now) so she pretty much drank to get away.

She still drinks occasionally but the day, 10 am, I was called by my youngest sister (she had to be like 15 at the time) to come home from work because my mom was supposed to be watching my nephew (2) but was drunk off her *** sitting on the rocking chair. I got home and basically smacked her across the face to wake up and all she did was gargle at me and smirk. I called the ambulance (I worked in the ER as a registrar at the time so I knew basically ALL the EMS guys) to come get her because when I tried to get her up out of the chair to the couch/bed she collapsed on me. She got to the hospital and was combative in the ambulance and to the nurses. I got there and she looked me dead in the eye saying how I was a horrible son to do this to her. Already having an ******* dad that disowned us and now having my mother say that, didn't feel too good.

I wish I could've said that was the last time she ever drank or was a wake up call, but it wasn't. My brother and sister in law refused her to see their son, her grandson, for years without them being there.

Addiction is real and it's more of a burden to the people around you than it is to you.

I had a dui, almost 3 years ago now, and I heard stories upon stories of people having multiple DUIs and also drug problems. This one guy lost everything, family, kids, parents, job, house, friends because of his alcoholism. He was clean for a couple years and relapsed. ****'s crazy.
    One of the things I learned in treatment, was addiction is so powerful, it drives people to do thing they never would do normally. One guy in it killed 3 people, spent 18 years in jail, and was drinking again right after he got out. Got caught 8 years later, DUI, back in rehab. Another woman had lost all 5 of her kids. 30 years old. More, and more stories like that. I went voluntarily, have lucked out, never been in trouble, but had a daughter coming, and had been fighting myself, trying to quit, for 5 years. The saddest moment of my life, to me, was when I realized at age 41 currently, I would never see my daughter grow into a woman, or walk her down the aisle, or meet my grandkids, if I kept drinking. Maybe the most emotional I have ever been the day I decided I needed help.

It consumes you. Every day, without even thinking, the memory sensors in your brain reach for what has worked before. You use the substance without even thinking. When you are aware what you are doing is harmful, or wrong, you keep telling yourself things will change, make up excuses to use, and go in a circle. I am lucky I never hurt anyone, outside disappointment from my ex's, but I never truly hurt anyone. It sucks, when you fully realize, you have zero control over your use. I had no control. Treatment/AA works, but you have to buy in 100000%. My judgement of people got a wakeup call when I attended the 7 week treatment for sure.

It's hard man. My gf's brother is a raging alcoholic. And alcohol makes whatever state you are in magnified. If you are a happy person, you are a happy drunk. If you are a depressed person, you are a mess when drunk. It's hard seeing someone you know needs to stop, because you can't say anything to them that will help. Quitting an addiction is not something you can do on your own, and it's not something you can half ***. It's ****ing hard dude.
    Last edited by Hawkeye15; 04-21-2017 at 11:48 AM.

If you want the ultimate, you've got to be willing to pay the ultimate price. It's not tragic to die doing what you love.

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkeye15 View Post
    One of the things I learned in treatment, was addiction is so powerful, it drives people to do thing they never would do normally. One guy in it killed 3 people, spent 18 years in jail, and was drinking again right after he got out. Got caught 8 years later, DUI, back in rehab. Another woman had lost all 5 of her kids. 30 years old. More, and more stories like that. I went voluntarily, have lucked out, never been in trouble, but had a daughter coming, and had been fighting myself, trying to quit, for 5 years. The saddest moment of my life, to me, was when I realized at age 41 currently, I would never see my daughter grow into a woman, or walk her down the aisle, or meet my grandkids, if I kept drinking. Maybe the most emotional I have ever been the day I decided I needed help.

It consumes you. Every day, without even thinking, the memory sensors in your brain reach for what has worked before. You use the substance without even thinking. When you are aware what you are doing is harmful, or wrong, you keep telling yourself things will change, make up excuses to use, and go in a circle. I am lucky I never hurt anyone, outside disappointment from my ex's, but I never truly hurt anyone. It sucks, when you fully realize, you have zero control over your use. I had no control. Treatment/AA works, but you have to buy in 100000%. My judgement of people got a wakeup call when I attended the 7 week treatment for sure.

It's hard man. My gf's brother is a raging alcoholic. And alcohol makes whatever state you are in magnified. If you are a happy person, you are a happy drunk. If you are a depressed person, you are a mess when drunk. It's hard seeing someone you know needs to stop, because you can't say anything to them that will help. Quitting an addiction is not something you can do on your own, and it's not something you can half ***. It's ****ing hard dude.
    Had the conversation with the doctor who saw my mom in the hospital that day and she said exactly this but the only person that can do it, is my mom. It sucks because, like you said, if you aren't buying in at 100%, you're not going to overcome it. That has to be for all sorts of addiction too.
    I don't consider Brand New indie. I consider them ****ing awesome and don't belong to a genre.

Quote Originally Posted by Zmaster52 View Post
    I do smoke pot, probably way too much. It makes me lethargic and uninterested but it also keeps me from having angry outbursts. If I go without smoking I either feel like **** or my stomach kills me (I can't eat unless I smoke)

My problem has always been undereating. I'm severely underweight and I always wake up with ether stomach pains or nausea - which leads to the pot smoking, regardless of what my diet might be. Doctors haven't offered any help so I just self medicate, something my shrink advises heavily against.
    Maybe you should try cutting diary and gluten from your diet for a week, see if that helps any. My friend had the same issues and saw a naturopathic Doctor and got good results after years of nothing from other docs. I've also heard acupuncture be helping

Quote Originally Posted by nastynice View Post
    Maybe you should try cutting diary and gluten from your diet for a week, see if that helps any. My friend had the same issues and saw a naturopathic Doctor and got good results after years of nothing from other docs. I've also heard acupuncture be helping
    Was going to say changes to your diet can really help. Even sugars is a huge thing to get away from.

I consume almost no sugar (outside of bread and **** like that, maybe I'll have fruit juice or a cookie like once a week)

Dairy, I stay away from anyway. I'm lactose sensitive and the only forms of dairy I'll consume is on pizza or a drop of milk in my tea.

Never really considered gluten though, that's something to check out.

Quote Originally Posted by spliff(TONE) View Post
    I am a heavy smoker and used to have issues with morning nausea. Grew out of it.

I usually just force down a small bowl of cereal, so I have something in the stomach before lunch and generally don't smoke until lunch or later.

Always been a great sleeper since I started burning every day.
    How long before you grew out of it? I've smoked for maybe 3-4 years but the nausea was there before the smoking.

I try to opt for cereal, oatmeal or an ensure...sometimes just taking bites out of things makes me wanna puke.

I don't smoke until after school which is usually around lunch time, if I don't eat before that then I crash and dissociate like crazy

How is it anonymous god dammit
    I don't know you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Raps08-09 Champ View Post
    My dick is named 'Ewing'.

Somewhere within the transmutation of Yin and Yang
    I consume almost no sugar (outside of bread and **** like that, maybe I'll have fruit juice or a cookie like once a week)

Dairy, I stay away from anyway. I'm lactose sensitive and the only forms of dairy I'll consume is on pizza or a drop of milk in my tea.

Never really considered gluten though, that's something to check out.
    I agree with those who suggest dietary changes but it sounds like you are starving
    Your body may be craving food which is why it feels crappy.
    Whe. You do that, you are living in constant fight or flight mode, your body is freaking out for food and you aren't giving it enough so it believes you are starving.
    The mind- gut connection is being more and more uncovered. Whatever you do or don't put in you belly for food or in a philosophical way, has a dramatic effect on thought process and emotions.

Do you eat meat?
    I would try White rice and yellow squash and sweet potatoes and ginger as a start.
    I know people say no white rice but it can build up your digestive system

You also seem like a fairly high strung person from your posts. Stress is a mother****er to your digestive system as are intense emotions that are unexpressed.
    Try to do something creative, as in pairing, drawing, dance, write, play and instrument at least 15 minutes a day, that works wonders for people.

Quote Originally Posted by Kinkotheclown View Post
    I agree with those who suggest dietary changes but it sounds like you are starving
    Your body may be craving food which is why it feels crappy.
    Whe. You do that, you are living in constant fight or flight mode, your body is freaking out for food and you aren't giving it enough so it believes you are starving.
    The mind- gut connection is being more and more uncovered. Whatever you do or don't put in you belly for food or in a philosophical way, has a dramatic effect on thought process and emotions.

Do you eat meat?
    I would try White rice and yellow squash and sweet potatoes and ginger as a start.
    I know people say no white rice but it can build up your digestive system

You also seem like a fairly high strung person from your posts. Stress is a mother****er to your digestive system as are intense emotions that are unexpressed.
    Try to do something creative, as in pairing, drawing, dance, write, play and instrument at least 15 minutes a day, that works wonders for people.
    I would recommend taichi.

Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast