Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 123
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Brooklyn, NYC
    Posts
    19,400

    2017 NBA General Playoff Discussion

    Thread to talk about the NBA playoffs in general

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    9,339
    Fun Fact:

    The culmination of team shooting percentages in the entire regular season is and has always been higher than the culmination of team shooting percentages in the playoffs that year. Generally more star-laden teams have a smaller differential while the less star-laden teams see the biggest drop.

    Consider that the 16 playoff teams are always better than the 14 non-playoff teams and the FG%s in the playoffs obviously don't include those 14 non-playoff teams.

    Yep, the playoffs shows true colors.
    Believe the hype. The Baker has come.


  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    5,078
    Anyone but the Celtics

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    27,628
    Based on health this year the playoff matchups will be MUCH better all over the place.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Bay Area
    Posts
    28,678
    Quote Originally Posted by Vee-Rex View Post
    Fun Fact:

    The culmination of team shooting percentages in the entire regular season is and has always been higher than the culmination of team shooting percentages in the playoffs that year. Generally more star-laden teams have a smaller differential while the less star-laden teams see the biggest drop.

    Consider that the 16 playoff teams are always better than the 14 non-playoff teams and the FG%s in the playoffs obviously don't include those 14 non-playoff teams.

    Yep, the playoffs shows true colors.
    Links/sources please.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    9,339
    Quote Originally Posted by tredigs View Post
    Links/sources please.
    No links or sources, just my own math. Admittedly I've only done it for the past 10 years but I've looked further and the numbers and percentages comparing regular season and playoffs look the same as they do in the past 10 years (stretching back towards '96). But I'll post the last 10 years:

    2015-16

    Reg Season FG: 94065/208049 = 45.21%

    Playoffs FG: 6286/14295 = 43.97%

    2014-15

    Reg Season FG: 92287/205570 = 44.89%

    Playoffs FG: 5964/13705 = 43.51%

    2013-14

    Reg Season FG: 93379/204172 = 45.73%

    Playoffs FG: 6472/14239 = 45.45%

    2012-13

    Reg Season FG: 91282/201609 = 45.27%

    Playoffs FG: 5953/13496 = 44.10%

    2011-12

    Reg Season FG: 72218/161225 = 44.79%

    Playoffs FG: 5801/13240 = 43.81%

    2010-11

    Reg Season FG: 91624/199790 = 45.86%

    Playoffs FG: 5502/12531 = 43.90%

    2009-10

    Reg Season FG: 92730/200989 = 46.13%

    Playoffs FG: 5778/12758 = 45.28%

    2008-09

    Reg Season FG: 91310/199054 = 45.87%

    Playoffs FG: 5932/13143 = 45.13%

    2007-08

    Reg Season FG: 91669/200501 = 45.71%

    Playoffs FG: 5933/13354 = 44.42%

    2006-07

    Reg Season FG: 89860/196075 = 45.82%

    Playoffs FG: 5410/12236 = 44.21%

    The closest is 2013-14, but even that year the playoffs doesn't eclipse the regular season in FG%. That's also the year the Spurs and Heat both shot nearly 50% in the playoffs while both being in the top 3 in field goals attempted (1. Spurs 2. OKC 3. Miami). So it was a bit of an anomaly playoffs IMO.

    Even though the percentages aren't enormous, remember that it's the cumulation of tens and hundreds of thousands of field goals. 46% vs. 45% is a HUGE difference. Also, remember that the 16 playoff teams will naturally shoot a better FG% than if you include the 14 non-playoff teams in that group. Yet, the playoffs FG% is ALWAYS lower.

    The teams that had the smallest drop (or gain) were typically the teams with multiple stars.

    I think it speaks extremely loudly about how much different the playoffs are. It's not only tighter defenses but game-planning and scheming. It truly does separate the pretenders from the contenders.
    Believe the hype. The Baker has come.


  7. #7
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    27,628
    I would be surprised if the playoff FG% didn't go down. With the defenses getting actual game plans and practice focused on one opponent over a series, it should go down, even with the "best teams" being in the playoffs.

  8. 04-15-2017, 05:04 PM
    Reason
    please don't promote personal sites

  9. #8
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Bay Area
    Posts
    28,678
    Quote Originally Posted by Vee-Rex View Post
    No links or sources, just my own math. Admittedly I've only done it for the past 10 years but I've looked further and the numbers and percentages comparing regular season and playoffs look the same as they do in the past 10 years (stretching back towards '96). But I'll post the last 10 years:

    2015-16

    Reg Season FG: 94065/208049 = 45.21%

    Playoffs FG: 6286/14295 = 43.97%

    2014-15

    Reg Season FG: 92287/205570 = 44.89%

    Playoffs FG: 5964/13705 = 43.51%

    2013-14

    Reg Season FG: 93379/204172 = 45.73%

    Playoffs FG: 6472/14239 = 45.45%

    2012-13

    Reg Season FG: 91282/201609 = 45.27%

    Playoffs FG: 5953/13496 = 44.10%

    2011-12

    Reg Season FG: 72218/161225 = 44.79%

    Playoffs FG: 5801/13240 = 43.81%

    2010-11

    Reg Season FG: 91624/199790 = 45.86%

    Playoffs FG: 5502/12531 = 43.90%

    2009-10

    Reg Season FG: 92730/200989 = 46.13%

    Playoffs FG: 5778/12758 = 45.28%

    2008-09

    Reg Season FG: 91310/199054 = 45.87%

    Playoffs FG: 5932/13143 = 45.13%

    2007-08

    Reg Season FG: 91669/200501 = 45.71%

    Playoffs FG: 5933/13354 = 44.42%

    2006-07

    Reg Season FG: 89860/196075 = 45.82%

    Playoffs FG: 5410/12236 = 44.21%

    The closest is 2013-14, but even that year the playoffs doesn't eclipse the regular season in FG%. That's also the year the Spurs and Heat both shot nearly 50% in the playoffs while both being in the top 3 in field goals attempted (1. Spurs 2. OKC 3. Miami). So it was a bit of an anomaly playoffs IMO.

    Even though the percentages aren't enormous, remember that it's the cumulation of tens and hundreds of thousands of field goals. 46% vs. 45% is a HUGE difference. Also, remember that the 16 playoff teams will naturally shoot a better FG% than if you include the 14 non-playoff teams in that group. Yet, the playoffs FG% is ALWAYS lower.

    The teams that had the smallest drop (or gain) were typically the teams with multiple stars.

    I think it speaks extremely loudly about how much different the playoffs are. It's not only tighter defenses but game-planning and scheming. It truly does separate the pretenders from the contenders.
    Nice thanks. Yeah it feels like common logic but I've never seen the #'s ran out.

  10. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Cincinnati, OH
    Posts
    4,958
    My thoughts on all the Game 1s:

    Rockets/Thunder 1-0, Rockets
    Westbrook forgot to get gas this day. With such a scoring-deprived team (didn't even crack 90 points), he's gotta bring that fire. At least 10 assists, okay? Somebody else has to score...something.
    Enes Kanter looking at his teammates like "Y'all really expect me to guard Harden? Me? Come on!"
    Steven Adams needs to do more than play hockey with Patrick Beverley (who almost outscored Westbrook).
    Meanwhile, Harden is La-La-Land'ing it with his step-back shuffle. This series might be less than we thought.

    Prediction: Rockets in 6 games, after Westbrook reignites his team, but eventually is exhausted.

    Warriors/Blazers 1-0, Warriors
    Well, that happened. Durant had 30, Steph had 30-ish, Draymond had the Blazers under his foot, Klay didn't have his contacts on, and someone told CJ McCollum and Damian Lillard they were all the Blazers had to offer.
    Respect to those two, but dang, big boy has to play for Portland. Not Greg Oden, either. Can't rely on the refs.
    Watch out for this being the best scoring performance by Dame + CJ in the series. They usually brick it up.
    Draymond hiding that secret concept of defense. Blazers might wanna Patriots it and steal the playbook.

    Prediction: Warriors in 4 games, unless Nurkic can return and maybe help win one in Portland.

    Utah Jazz/LA Clippers 1-0, Jazz
    Guard Joe Johnson. He's Joe Johnson, not Joe Schmoe.
    Clippers in general need to play better defense and also learn how to score Clippers-numbers.
    When Gobert goes down that early in the game, there is no excuse to score under 100 at home!
    The Jazz could easily win this series, especially after starting 1-0 on the road. Clippers seem tuned out.

    Prediction: Jazz in 6 (Game 6 will be in Utah and they're now up 1-0).

    Grizzlies/Spurs 1-0, Spurs
    Wow, the Spurs go on some big runs. Reminds me of my Spurs in 2K. Ah. And that defense!
    Grizzlies have a shot, but the Spurs' skillful and careful play is gorgeous. Good showing by Marc Gasol.
    As usual the Grizzlies lack any raw offensive talent that can overcome solid defense by the opposition.

    Prediction: Spurs in 5, Grizzlies might steal a game, but still outmatched in scoring and whole package

    Cavaliers/Pacers 1-0, Cavs
    Cavaliers defense is truly horrible. They were neck and neck with the frickin' Pacers for most of the game.
    Their defense let the Pacers back into the game after closing the 3rd quarter strongly (double digit lead).
    They were lucky as hell that CJ Miles missed that game-winner, even if PG-13 should've got the ball.
    Pacers have a puncher's chance because the Cavaliers defense is that bad that Hill almost won the game!

    Prediction: Cavaliers in 6. I want to say 5 but this game showed that Cleveland has some real chinks.
    I hope that if this series goes six games that it knocks some sense into their defense; otherwise they're done.


    Bucks/Raptors 1-0, Bucks
    Did anyone see this coming? Raptors defense was nonexistent. Guys just standing by, shrugging at each other.
    Meanwhile, The Greek Freek put on a show, Thon Maker showed promise, and nobody but DeRozan came to play. Hopefully Ibaka is okay and the Raptors bounce back because they can play strong when they want to.

    Prediction: Raptors in 6, as the Bucks should get another win if they keep playing like that.

    Wizards/Hawks 1-0, Wizards
    John Wall has arrived, and Dwight Howard barely had 7 points.
    Marcin Gortat shoved off Paul Millsap like a pest after making a skillful, patient dunk to seal the win.
    Wizards could be the dark horse. They showed a fighting mean streak at home. Wall is ready to lead.
    Hawks are "meh" at this point. Odd that this team had a historic season, what, last season or so?
    Where are the Hawks that edged the Cavaliers a few days ago?
    Look for a Millsap exit if they lose this round, and it looks that way if Shroeder 3's are their only hope.

    Prediction: Wizards in 5, cuz Hawks should win one in Atlanta...maybe

    Celtics/Bulls 1-0, Bulls (say what?)
    Isaiah Thomas, albeit bereaved, was balling here. He just doesn't have enough help.
    You saw it when he had to single-handedly bring his team back into the game in the final seconds.
    A slick pass to the teammate who awkwardly passes the ball back for I.T. to shoot a deeeeep 3PTer. Hmm.
    Meanwhile, the Bulls are tough. They have a closer in D-Wade. Rondo can trick that ball out. Butler with 30!
    Boston better get it together. Horford acting like 19 points is going to save the whales. Could easily be an upset.
    Prediction: Bulls in 6, after a big win by Celtics in Game 5. And 14 more points by Robin Lopez.#SHAQTINaFOOL
    Last edited by kobe4thewinbang; 04-17-2017 at 03:13 AM.


    6/15/19...when my wish became a reality.

  11. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    9,339
    Nice list, Kobe4.

    1. Learned nothing here. I think the Rox will win in 5. I think OKC wins one in OKC in a game where the Rox shoot badly.

    2. Blazers will probably steal one in Portland with or without Nurkic IMO. Warriors defense seemed to zero in on McCollum and Lillard - gave up a lot of open shots to role-players. It just so happens that the Portland backcourt were hitting their tough shots along with it.

    3. Clippers looked worse than I thought... but I just don't see how they would lose a series vs. Utah without Gobert. I think LAC wins game 2 and steals one in Utah, then go on to close 'em out. But I'm not counting Utah out either. Will be interesting to see.

    4. Spurs too strong for Grizzlies. I picked Spurs in 5 out of respect for the Grizzlies but this is the most likely series to end in a sweep, IMO.

    5. I'm picking Cavs in 5. The Cavs defense is super inconsistent and will always give up easy baskets here and there - but the Pacers scored on many tough/needed baskets. Cavs were winning like 6-10 points the entire game and would miss a barrage of wide open shots that could've broke the game open, only to have Indiana cut it back down. I think game 2 we see a better representation of where these teams stand - though I got Indiana winning game 3.

    6. I picked Raptors in 6... and it's hard to stay on that. This is probably a 7 game series. Game 2 will decide everything though and if Toronto loses then it's over for them. I think Giannis is gonna put a major stamp on this series and catapult himself into superstar-dom. Lowry will obviously have a better game but Milwaukee is full of confidence now.

    7. I think Hawks win game 2. They're fairly decent road team. Problem is they're a pretty bad home team and will certainly drop at least 1 game at home. Still, I think their starters play a little better and this series goes 6 or 7. My pick was Wizards in 7.

    8. Celtics are in major trouble IMO. Even if they win game 2 AND take 1 game in Chicago, they'd still be tied 2-2 with a pivotal game 5 that Chicago could certainly win. IMO, Bulls are winning this series.
    Believe the hype. The Baker has come.


  12. #11
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    19,138
    I didn't see much wrong with Cavs defense. Pacers made difficult shots that I don't see them usually making regardless of defense. I think Cavs offense struggled primarily with Kyrie taking too many shots. They had a lack of ball movement with guys who should be taking more shots. J.R. and Korver need more opportunities if the Cavs want to truly dominate. No reason Kyrie should be taking that many more shots than everyone else.. he's a great scorer but c'mon, 27 shots? And I don't know why they moved away from Kevin Love but he was pretty effective down the post in the first quarter.

    Takeaway from Hawks vs Wizards is that Howard sucks.

    I already said Celtics were going to have a difficult battle because Bulls are too experienced and have the best player/best playoff performer in Butler/Wade. Boston is just too inexperienced. I'm not sure who wins but with IT dealing with his sister's death, I might side with the Bulls.

    Raptors are a joke. I am confident Bucks beats them in 6.

    No one can guard Kawhi. Spurs should win easily.

    Blazers can't win without Jokic. They have no interior presence and the other guys are MIA.

    We can't beat Houston. we lack scoring and are too dependent on RWB that it's easy to plan against him in the playoffs.

    Clippers are chokers and Blake Griffin/DJ are very overrated.

  13. #12
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    hoosierland
    Posts
    8,793
    Quote Originally Posted by FlashBolt View Post
    I didn't see much wrong with Cavs defense. Pacers made difficult shots that I don't see them usually making regardless of defense. I think Cavs offense struggled primarily with Kyrie taking too many shots. They had a lack of ball movement with guys who should be taking more shots. J.R. and Korver need more opportunities if the Cavs want to truly dominate. No reason Kyrie should be taking that many more shots than everyone else.. he's a great scorer but c'mon, 27 shots? And I don't know why they moved away from Kevin Love but he was pretty effective down the post in the first quarter.

    Takeaway from Hawks vs Wizards is that Howard sucks.

    I already said Celtics were going to have a difficult battle because Bulls are too experienced and have the best player/best playoff performer in Butler/Wade. Boston is just too inexperienced. I'm not sure who wins but with IT dealing with his sister's death, I might side with the Bulls.

    Raptors are a joke. I am confident Bucks beats them in 6.

    No one can guard Kawhi. Spurs should win easily.

    Blazers can't win without Jokic. They have no interior presence and the other guys are MIA.

    We can't beat Houston. we lack scoring and are too dependent on RWB that it's easy to plan against him in the playoffs.

    Clippers are chokers and Blake Griffin/DJ are very overrated.
    Lol your analysis of the Clippers game is a joke and those two players are not overrated. Clippers win this series easily with Gobert hurt - DJ will have a field day in the paint. JJ had a great game off the bench.

    Everyone knows Howard doesn't show up in big games - Wiz should win easily.

    Boston win series as they are the better team with better coaching imo. Wade is the X factor to decide the Bulls fate with his experience and leadership to maybe pull an upset but just don't see it happening.

    Raptors are NOT a joke and still pick them to win this series but an upset is possible.

    If there is one team that can contain Kawhi, it's Memphis and I expect them to play better with their defensive mentality. Spurs should win series decisively.

    Jokic plays for the Nuggets but he would've help the Blazers if they had traded for him. Dubs should win series decisively. CJ will not be in that crazy shooting zone in every game in this series.

    Rockets Thunder matchup is the 2nd best in the first round imho as they should make it a good close series with Westy and Harden stirring the pot up

    Saving the best matchup for last. This will be a close series, much closer than many sports analysts think. Pacers with George will give the Cavs all they got and the most likely big upset, if any, in the first round...


    Click photo to see what we do best as defending champions!

  14. #13
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    9,339
    Quote Originally Posted by eDush View Post
    Lol your analysis of the Clippers game is a joke and those two players are not overrated. Clippers win this series easily with Gobert hurt - DJ will have a field day in the paint. JJ had a great game off the bench.

    Everyone knows Howard doesn't show up in big games - Wiz should win easily.

    Boston win series as they are the better team with better coaching imo. Wade is the X factor to decide the Bulls fate with his experience and leadership to maybe pull an upset but just don't see it happening.

    Raptors are NOT a joke and still pick them to win this series but an upset is possible.

    If there is one team that can contain Kawhi, it's Memphis and I expect them to play better with their defensive mentality. Spurs should win series decisively.

    Jokic plays for the Nuggets but he would've help the Blazers if they had traded for him. Dubs should win series decisively. CJ will not be in that crazy shooting zone in every game in this series.

    Rockets Thunder matchup is the 2nd best in the first round imho as they should make it a good close series with Westy and Harden stirring the pot up

    Saving the best matchup for last. This will be a close series, much closer than many sports analysts think. Pacers with George will give the Cavs all they got and the most likely big upset, if any, in the first round...

    Damn bro you kinda went ham on every last one of his points. I hope you're right about the Rockets and Thunder... I just don't see how OKC can keep up.
    Believe the hype. The Baker has come.


  15. #14
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    hoosierland
    Posts
    8,793
    Quote Originally Posted by Vee-Rex View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by eDush View Post
    Lol your analysis of the Clippers game is a joke and those two players are not overrated. Clippers win this series easily with Gobert hurt - DJ will have a field day in the paint. JJ had a great game off the bench.

    Everyone knows Howard doesn't show up in big games - Wiz should win easily.

    Boston win series as they are the better team with better coaching imo. Wade is the X factor to decide the Bulls fate with his experience and leadership to maybe pull an upset but just don't see it happening.

    Raptors are NOT a joke and still pick them to win this series but an upset is possible.

    If there is one team that can contain Kawhi, it's Memphis and I expect them to play better with their defensive mentality. Spurs should win series decisively.

    Jokic plays for the Nuggets but he would've help the Blazers if they had traded for him. Dubs should win series decisively. CJ will not be in that crazy shooting zone in every game in this series.

    Rockets Thunder matchup is the 2nd best in the first round imho as they should make it a good close series with Westy and Harden stirring the pot up

    Saving the best matchup for last. This will be a close series, much closer than many sports analysts think. Pacers with George will give the Cavs all they got and the most likely big upset, if any, in the first round...
    Damn bro you kinda went ham on every last one of his points. I hope you're right about the Rockets and Thunder... I just don't see how OKC can keep up.
    It wasn't intended but how can anyone be so wrong on the Clippers matchup. I don't like them but they are one team I rather avoid in the playoffs - them being overrated is so over overstated. And the Cavs are wearing out Lebron since they know they can't win without him even with Kyrie n Love in the game. Whose really coaching them anyways or are they just winging it.

    I'm sure of it cause the Rockets don't play defense particularly their best player...they just outscore opponents. Thunder emphasizes defense while Westy provides most of the offense. And sometimes that's enough once he goes ham on them back in OKC to make this a series worth watching


    Click photo to see what we do best as defending champions!

  16. #15
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Brooklyn, NYC
    Posts
    19,400
    Nice breakdowns of the game 1 matchups

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •