Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 4 of 30 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Pcs Papa View Post
    With plenty of prospects next year you hope the Brewers are in it and then use the kids as trade pieces. By the end of this year it should hopefully be clear who we are keeping and who should be traded.
    I don't know if Phillips will be better than Broxton. That's about what I see him as, a decent OF with pop but Ks a ton. I wouldn't mind trading Domingo and letting Brinson play either.

This team could really be sitting well a top the division. Should have won about 5 more games that were blown. Everyone blows some, but man stranded runners a few games in the teens and lose by 1, Knebel blew two saves, Mets extra inning game in NY, two games to Cubs earlier this year. Could be up 5 games yet. Really probably is the difference between buying or selling. Brewers were going to get passed by Cubs anyway but no doubt sellers at deadline.

I would be fine with a controllable ace for Phillips and another piece in the near future. This team needs arms...a lot of them especially in the pen.

Problem is Phillips and another peice isn't getting you a controllable ace. If we want a controllable ace, it probably starts with two of Brinson, hader, ray, Ortiz, Diaz, and erceg. And if it really is a controllable ace, I'd be okay parting with Brinson and hader. And I know that's probably a wildly unpopular opinion on here.

But here's the thing. Early in the year I was okay trading Santana to cal up Brinson. But on the flip side, Santana is 24 years old and will probably be about a 3 WAR player this year if he stays healthy and doesn't completely fall off. That's a valuable peice who's cost controlled for quite a while yet. Who's to say Brinson will be that good. And Brinson can be the main peice to bring back someone super valuable. I'm not saying shop Brinson, but if he can be moved to add a very good pitcher and we continue with the current outfield for 3 years, that's not a bad thing. Especially since we have guys like ray, Clark and Harrison coming up in the system behind guys like Brinson and Phillips.

Quote Originally Posted by crewfan13 View Post
    Problem is Phillips and another peice isn't getting you a controllable ace. If we want a controllable ace, it probably starts with two of Brinson, hader, ray, Ortiz, Diaz, and erceg. And if it really is a controllable ace, I'd be okay parting with Brinson and hader. And I know that's probably a wildly unpopular opinion on here.

But here's the thing. Early in the year I was okay trading Santana to cal up Brinson. But on the flip side, Santana is 24 years old and will probably be about a 3 WAR player this year if he stays healthy and doesn't completely fall off. That's a valuable peice who's cost controlled for quite a while yet. Who's to say Brinson will be that good. And Brinson can be the main peice to bring back someone super valuable. I'm not saying shop Brinson, but if he can be moved to add a very good pitcher and we continue with the current outfield for 3 years, that's not a bad thing. Especially since we have guys like ray, Clark and Harrison coming up in the system behind guys like Brinson and Phillips.
    I wouldn't deal people for an ace at this deadline I don't think even if we are in first place. This team doesn't have the horses to make a WS run this year. A couple years away and then I think Brewers could be like the Astros if they get an ace. As far as the OF I agree on Santana, but as for the OFs like Ray, Clark and Harrison, I am less sold on any of them than Brinson or Santana. I think all of them could be flops. They have potential but none have had crazy good minor league years. Harrison is showing some signs but Brinson and Cordell I like better than Ray, Clark or Harrison.

Cuz those guys are quite a bit older. Cordell is 25 and is having a good year. But last year, at age 24 in AA, he hit .264 with a .319 OBP. It's not like that's crazy impressive. And Brinson had his struggles prior to coming to Milwaukee last year in his age 22 season.

My point is you have to decide on an outfield of the future for both the near term and the long term. Brinson and Cordell could fit into that, but you could also say that our outfield for the next 3-4 years is Braun, broxton and Santana. If that's the case, it makes sense to deal Brinson, Cordell and Phillips, especially if you can get a peice right now that can help.

I think Brinson can be very good. I think dexter fowler might be a good target for him to shoot for. But he has a fair amount of contact issue as well. I could also see him being basically the exact same thing as broxton. And I guess that's sort of the point I'm at. We don't have any sure fire can't miss prospects like a Bryce Harper or a kris Bryant. All of our guys have at least some bust potential. That doesn't mean they don't have star potential, but they could be either. You knew guys like Harper or Bryant had very low bust potential. We have a pretty good outfield right now. Broxton is a question mark still, but he's definitely not horrible either. So I don't hate the idea of sort of committing to Santana and trading some of the higher level prospects. If he ends up busting, we still have guys behind him like ray, Clark and Harrison (maybe even stokes). Plus a guy like huira may have to move to left as well. So trading Brinson hurts, but it doesn't push our timeframe back at all and we still have a deep system in the outfield. So it probably doesn't cripple us, unless he turns into a stud.

I wouldn't trade for an ace this year but maybe in the offseason. I would make a couple deals to get some decent relievers no one who will cost major prospects but a vet on an expiring deal who can be had for a middle tier prospect is what I'm thinking. David Hernandez, Pat Neshek, Mike Minor, or maybe a starter who could be turned into a reliever like Matt Moore or Clay Bucholtz.

Flurry of moves for the crew today. Sounds like bandy and Brinson are going down. Braun and villar will come back tomorrow and we claimed Stephen Vogt off waivers. Assuming vogt comes to the majors, well still have to make a move. The obvious guess would be franklin with Braun and villar back, we should have enough infield and outfielders.

Vogt is an interesting case. From everything I read, he's not much of a defender, but has been one of the better hitting catchers the last few years. Have to imagine pina continues to get a lot of burn, but if Vogt gets the bat going, he could be really useful.

Like the Vogt move. Also, underrated signing of Wilhelmssen former SEA closer. Pen needs options..

Guerra seems to suck. Very winnable game today but can't give up 8 runs in 4 innings and expect to win much

Quote Originally Posted by Thechidz View Post
    Guerra seems to suck. Very winnable game today but can't give up 8 runs in 4 innings and expect to win much
    I mean, he isn't an ace. Kind of speaks to the staff. Garza sucks, Nelson is showing signs but I am not sold yet on anything more than a 3, certainly a 2; Anderson hurt now; Guerra spent 10 years in the minors. Shouldn't have expected 15 wins or anything. But, against the Reds sucks to lose 2 of 3. This team had a good chance and for the first time in a long while had a easy schedule of games, at home vs. SD; @ ATL and @ CIN and went 4-5.

Our starting group of Garza/Nelson/Anderson/Guerra/Davies have gone past 6 innings just 14 times this year. 11 of those starts are between Nelson and Anderson. The other 3 - Davies(1), Guerra(0), Garza (2) have gone past 6 innings just 3 times in 35 combined starts

That seems bad, but in all honesty, without any other frame of reference, it's hard to say. It's not uncommon for most 3-5 pitchers to really only go 6 innings these days. As far as I can tell, we are 9th in starting pitching era and 15th in total innings, we are on the higher end of the spectrum for games played, so we are probably closer to 20th in average innings pitched by starters.

But if it weren't for a few shortening starts due to injury, we probably would be closer to 12 or so in innings from out starters and. 15-18 in average innings per outing.

So while it is a little disappointing that starters don't go a little longer, it's not really a major sticking point. Had I told you before the season that on July 1st, the brewers starters would have a top 10 era in the league, I'm sure everyone of us would have been shocked.

Is there ANY possible way for Antanasio to snag one more stud SPer without giving up the farm?

This is a good team. Solid hitting and fielding could upset the division with a little better pitching and some luck

Quote Originally Posted by Thechidz View Post
    Is there ANY possible way for Antanasio to snag one more stud SPer without giving up the farm?
    Probably not. Or you can wait until the offseaon and try to sign someone. But given the brewers payroll and situation, we are still probably only getting more of a number 2 type in free agency.

The thing is though, we have a pretty deep farm. We could realistically start an offer with something like two of Brinson, Phillips, Clark and ray and add in isan diaz. That would be a heck of an offer. Throw in a few additional mid tier guys and we could legitimately sniff an ace with that deal. And we'd still have depth at virtually every position in the farm outside of maybe catcher and first, which we don't really have depth st regardless.

I'm not in the market for a CC Sabatthia one year rental move. But there are a few youngish, controllable high end starters that could come available. I don't wanna overpay, but it makes sense to ask and we probably have as much ammo as almost any other contender if we make an offer.

Quote Originally Posted by crewfan13 View Post
    Probably not. Or you can wait until the offseaon and try to sign someone. But given the brewers payroll and situation, we are still probably only getting more of a number 2 type in free agency.

The thing is though, we have a pretty deep farm. We could realistically start an offer with something like two of Brinson, Phillips, Clark and ray and add in isan diaz. That would be a heck of an offer. Throw in a few additional mid tier guys and we could legitimately sniff an ace with that deal. And we'd still have depth at virtually every position in the farm outside of maybe catcher and first, which we don't really have depth st regardless.

I'm not in the market for a CC Sabatthia one year rental move. But there are a few youngish, controllable high end starters that could come available. I don't wanna overpay, but it makes sense to ask and we probably have as much ammo as almost any other contender if we make an offer.
    I would offer Ray, Dubon and another for Quintana. Quintana is on a team-friendly deal. Also with Arcia not sure Dubon ever really makes a huge impact with the Brewers. Ray I am not sold on and then toss in someone middle level prospect.

Page 4 of 30 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast