Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 3 of 30 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    Nice to see the brewers battle back to get the win today. It's disappointing to see us lose back to back games to the dodgers when we blow leads. But in the past, we would have let that get to us and dropped a stinker to get swept. It's good to see this team continue to battle and at least get 1.

Yeah, it would have been nice to see us get 2 of 3 but I think this team has a lot more heart than past years. The rotation seems to have really solidified with Guerra coming back. Nelson, Guerra, and Anderson have all been exceptional and Davies has been much better as well. I would really like to see the Crew bring up one of the 3 outfielders in AAA, Brinson, Phillips, or Cordell (maybe Wren even). I don't mind Perez playing almost every day but I think there is a nice opportunity to see on of those guys over the next week or two.

I agree, but on the flip side, I'm not sure how good of idea it is to call those guys up only to have them play 3 days a week or something. Franklin is garbage and ca easily be dfa'd. It might not be a terrible idea to call up someone like wren. He's probably not a part of our long term future, but he's been playing well and it doesn't hurt if he only plays 2 times a week. Plus it can showcase him if we want to deal him for a reliever.

Of course after I say this we call up Phillips. Hopefully he gets a couple game chance to show what he can do.

Yeah that was a well timed post, well a guy like Phillips could stick and be a 4th OF since he can play all over. I wouldn't be surprised if he hits well in a couple games and works his way into a CF platoon. He has to be better than Niehenheis and Kirk had almost 400 abs last year. Like you said Franklin would be easy to cut loose. I do like the idea of Wren a bit better now that you brought it up but i guess we will see Phillips over the next few days.

Also the Shaw/Thornburg trade was finished today with us recieving an 18 year old SS named Coca. He was the Sox's 25th rated prospect. What a steal that trade has been. I really didn't like the trade at the time because I didn't think we received any high level talent but Shaw has been an All-Star type player and Dubon has apparently been very impressive in AA hitting near .300 and 25 or so steals. We also seem to have gotten 2 lottery ticket type players as well with some good skills.

Not sure if it was this thread or a different one on here, but I said a whole back that I didn't anticipate nelson breaking out. But it sure looks like I was wrong. Nelson has been throwing incredibly well.

I read an article a while back from fangraphs or one of those sites. They dove into the deeper stats as well as some of the additional stuff with Nelson. All of the underlying stats are looking good with Nelson. One of his biggest improvements has been his improvement against lefties. He used to get crushed by lefties. So far this year, he's done better against them. As they continued their analysis, part of the reason for his success is that he's using his 4 seamer quite a bit more this year, which is more of a neutral pitch against lefties.

And his biggest improvement has been his ability to pound the zone. I think they showed as a stat on twitter that he's given up like 3 walks in his last like 30 some innings. The ability to throw strikes and get ahead in counts is awesome for him. I hope this continues (obvisouly) and he can develop into a dependable #2 guy.

Quote Originally Posted by crewfan13 View Post
    Not sure if it was this thread or a different one on here, but I said a whole back that I didn't anticipate nelson breaking out. But it sure looks like I was wrong. Nelson has been throwing incredibly well.

I read an article a while back from fangraphs or one of those sites. They dove into the deeper stats as well as some of the additional stuff with Nelson. All of the underlying stats are looking good with Nelson. One of his biggest improvements has been his improvement against lefties. He used to get crushed by lefties. So far this year, he's done better against them. As they continued their analysis, part of the reason for his success is that he's using his 4 seamer quite a bit more this year, which is more of a neutral pitch against lefties.

And his biggest improvement has been his ability to pound the zone. I think they showed as a stat on twitter that he's given up like 3 walks in his last like 30 some innings. The ability to throw strikes and get ahead in counts is awesome for him. I hope this continues (obvisouly) and he can develop into a dependable #2 guy.
    It has been very encouraging seeing guys like Chase Anderson and Nelson take steps forward. Davies has been very mediocre this year but has 7 wins. The rotation needs to go deeper in games and of late Nelson and Anderson have been. Nelson had shown flashes but this recent run he's on is probably the most sustained run he's had since joining the rotation. This team I still think will be overtaken shortly by the Cubs but they have some issues. The Brewers can stay in the race for a while yet which is really fun to see. This is probably the easiest stretch of games here before July 4 they've had all year. Hopefully they can take advantage of this two week stretch and build a lead.

It's been really fun watching this team this year. Counsel is doing a great job what a story so far. Of course if this Cinderella story is to actually happen a few things need to be addressed. 1. Pitching. As mentioned gopackgo87 Anderson and Nelson are pleasant surprises. Davies is ok. But we probably need another stud (think sabathia) to make playoffs. 2. Have to figure out ways to score runs other than dingers. Don't get me wrong I love it but not sustainable

I'm okay trading for a starter who has at least 2 years of control left. This has been a fun season but I'd hate to give up a good prospect for a starter that's only around this year.

That being said, even though I like these guys, I'm okay trading a reed, wren or coulter type for a rental reliever if we're still in it at the deadline. Those guys aren't going to get much opportunity in Milwaukee, so if someone is willing to give up a relief arm for them, I'd be fine with that.

Quote Originally Posted by crewfan13 View Post
    I'm okay trading for a starter who has at least 2 years of control left. This has been a fun season but I'd hate to give up a good prospect for a starter that's only around this year.

That being said, even though I like these guys, I'm okay trading a reed, wren or coulter type for a rental reliever if we're still in it at the deadline. Those guys aren't going to get much opportunity in Milwaukee, so if someone is willing to give up a relief arm for them, I'd be fine with that.
    That's why I don't think this season the Brewers are enjoying so far is sustainable. Although, Braun and Villar are coming back pretty soon which should help, this team problem is pitching. No true ace - not ready to anoint Jimmy to that level probably low-end 2 right now - and Davies despite being 7-3 hasn't been good. The bullpen stinks outside of Barnes and Knebel and Barnes struggles because he's out there seems like every day. Torres too. Drake and Peralta need to go. I agree with the reliever trade but not sure about a starter. Don't want to give up too much for a Tehran or Gray.

Just for talk, what do you guys think will be done in CF for the near future? I think Broxton and Phillips are similar players. Phillips is younger but this is about what I see from him with what Broxton is doing now. Phillips strikes out a ton for a guy that I don't think will ever hit more than 25 HR in a season. Broxton has 25-25 potential maybe even 30-30 despite low average and low OBP. Maybe Brinson even could be future CF but I think he is a better LF.

I'm okay giving up prospects for a pitcher if we think he can legitimately be close to an ace, as long as we have control over that guy for a few seasons.

And part of the reason I'm okay with that is exactly what you said about the CF position. We sort of have a log jam in the outfield with good prospects. Ray, Brinson and Phillips can all legitimately play center and that doesn't include broxton, who's a cheap, young and controllable center fielder as well. I don't want to give up any of them perse, but we can afford to if it legitimately improves our roster.

I don't think there's an ace in the system, no matter how you slice it. Hader, woodruff, Ortiz and Lopez are the guys who have shown up on prospect lists at some point. Best case scenario for those guys is probably 2/3 starters. I don't think there's much of a chance you have an ace in the group. So at some point you have to trade for an ace. This current team is young and controllable. If they don't regress, this current roster, with a few tweaks, can probably be close to a playoff team. Add an ace for 2 or more years and see what happens. No one is going to get super expensive in the near future. So we could probably spend on relievers this offseason to take a shot next year.

I'm not sure how I feel about it, but an idea I've been kicking around lately has been to maybe consider going for it in the next 2 and a half years. Outside of garza and maybe a couple relievers, we have control over everyone for at least another 2 years beyond this season. And this team, as it's built, may be able to compete if you add a few pieces.

One of those pieces would have to be an ace level pitcher. But if we found that, the gains sustained by Nelson and Anderson, along with a healthy Guerra give us at least a decent rotation. And postuonally, we could maybe upgrade at 2nd or get a true center fielder who can do it all. (Basically either a dexter Fowler or a Ben Zobrist type if you think of last years cubs). Ideally that would be a vet who's a little most consistent than the guys who have. We would also need to add bullpen pieces, but we have money in theory to spend in free agency on that.

That being said, those pieces obvisouly aren't easy to get. My first target would be to trade for a chris archer or gerrit cole type who has at least 2 years of control left. Then I would focus on potentially adding the OF or 2B depending on who we give up. So to get those pieces, I'd be willing to part with our major league ready or near major league ready pieces, including Brinson, hader, Phillips, woodruff, Cordell and those guys.

I know that's an unpopular opinion. But we have a wave of guys not far behind those guys though too. So my thought is to keep guys like ray, Diaz, erceg, Clark, dubon and so on together. Basically, we sell the triple a guys to try to compete for 2 years. If that doesn't work, we sell the pieces we still have control over, which will be guys like Shaw, Santana, broxton, Arica, and those guys in 2 years. At that point, the double A and high A guys should be ready to start the new young wave, along with the prospects we get from trading our current players.

Basically, long story short is that we sell out ready or near ready prospects to try to compete with this team for the next 2 years. Then, instead of having to start a full rebuild again, we should have that group of guys currently in double a and high single a ready to go, which should make the rebuild process shorter. It would be complete for 2 years, reload for about 2 years, then compete again once the next generation of young guys have 2 years in the bigs.

I think we are kinda stuck this year, we need to keep our top prospects. Next year Garza and his 12.5 mil will be gone, not to mention if we could some how trade Braun, that opens up 32.5 mil for next year. Put that money towards Darvish and seeing how the Brewers have the lowest payroll again at 62 mil Mark can open up his wallet and maybe get someone like Lackey or whoever.

But what do you do with your prospects? Are you just gonna make Brinson and Phillips wait two years in AAA? How do you know they are going to beat out and be better than broxton or Santana?

And sure, you can sign darvish or whoever in free agency, but then you're massively overpaying in money. But if you trade, you get the guy at a reasonable deal.

And that in itself is part of problem. Everyone sort of assumes the best, which you should when your team sucks. But on the flip side, Brinson is probably just as likely to be as good as broxton as he is to be George springer or Andrew mccutchen. We may actually have a decent chance at being a good team right now, especially if we add the right peices.

Our team is young, cheap and controllable at the moment. I'd hate to look back in 5 years with a bunch of prospects who either were busts or just average players and wonder why we didn't push a little harder with this crew.

With plenty of prospects next year you hope the Brewers are in it and then use the kids as trade pieces. By the end of this year it should hopefully be clear who we are keeping and who should be traded.

Page 3 of 30 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast