Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 3 of 168 FirstFirst 123451353103 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by phillyeaglesman View Post
    Filppula still has his NMC, it was transferred over, therefore he must be protected in the expansion draft.

And I'm more than ok with that. He brings balance to the lineup and 5v5 production. Not sure why you'd want to get rid of a guy who fills a clear hole and you're only tied to for next season. He's the perfect stopgap.

In other news:
    - MDZ noted today at the locker clean out that Hexy basically told him the organization is moving in another direction and will be looking to add youth to the blue line.
    - Mason said he had a very candid conversation with Hextall today about a goalie tandem not working and that he felt he should have been the #1 all along. He said there needs to be a clear distinction between the #1 and the backup. He said he wants to return and Hextall told him that door is not closed; Mase would just like to know soon so he can plan accordingly.
    - Ghost said he started playing better when he just started to go out and have fun and try to make mistakes without worrying about getting yelled at.
    - Couts said he tweaked his knee a few times after he came back from injury and it took him a little while to feel right again. He also mentioned he feels he has had chemistry with Schenn since the lockout year with the Phantoms and hopes they stay together next year.
    - Voracek was not happy with his production this season. He noted that he knows if this team doesn't perform well next season that he feels the team will get blown up, that only winning 1 playoff round in his tenure is unacceptable.

Also, Hextall has chosen Hakstol as an assistant coach for Canada at the Worlds, so any idea that he may be fired before the season can be put to rest.
    I loved your cliff notes.

Filppula will have to approve of the trade, but I do think someone will approach hextall and try to trade for Filppula or hexy will use him as a part of a deal to an approved team. 1 year left and the flyers could retain cap again I believe ... option open if that is the case. I noted trade in my post for Filppula...

I am happy coach hak is on team Canada. Good chance to make him a better NHL talent evaluator by giving him exposure to more players and games.

Filppula still has his NMC, it was transferred over, therefore he must be protected in the expansion draft.

And I'm more than ok with that. He brings balance to the lineup and 5v5 production. Not sure why you'd want to get rid of a guy who fills a clear hole and you're only tied to for next season. He's the perfect stopgap.

In other news:
    - MDZ noted today at the locker clean out that Hexy basically told him the organization is moving in another direction and will be looking to add youth to the blue line.
    - Mason said he had a very candid conversation with Hextall today about a goalie tandem not working and that he felt he should have been the #1 all along. He said there needs to be a clear distinction between the #1 and the backup. He said he wants to return and Hextall told him that door is not closed; Mase would just like to know soon so he can plan accordingly.
    - Ghost said he started playing better when he just started to go out and have fun and try to make mistakes without worrying about getting yelled at.
    - Couts said he tweaked his knee a few times after he came back from injury and it took him a little while to feel right again. He also mentioned he feels he has had chemistry with Schenn since the lockout year with the Phantoms and hopes they stay together next year.
    - Voracek was not happy with his production this season. He noted that he knows if this team doesn't perform well next season that he feels the team will get blown up, that only winning 1 playoff round in his tenure is unacceptable.

Also, Hextall has chosen Hakstol as an assistant coach for Canada at the Worlds, so any idea that he may be fired before the season can be put to rest.
    Hakstol is not the most popular guy on the board, but at least Hextall is using his position to his advantage and thinking a little. Exposing a young coach to another experience is probably a good thing here. Not that it will make any magical epiphanies, but if it helps him in some way with some different experience then it's a good thing. I know most every one would argue he's a lost cause so who cares LOL...but I'm looking at the positive side since we know he will definitely be here.

On the other hand if there was a time during the year for a GM to question or begin to have doubts about his coach it's during locker clean out day. That's typically where guys don't hold back on their displeasure with their role, how they were handled, the system and everything coaching related. If there's more than a few guys then the GM might take notice. Like to be a fly on the wall to see what the real discussion were. Hockey guys don't typically dump on their coaches publicly but it crumbles pretty quick behind the scenes if there is a real issue. Does not seem that's the case from the players here.

Quote Originally Posted by castan_b View Post
    I loved your cliff notes.

Filppula will have to approve of the trade, but I do think someone will approach hextall and try to trade for Filppula or hexy will use him as a part of a deal to an approved team. 1 year left and the flyers could retain cap again I believe ... option open if that is the case. I noted trade in my post for Filppula...

I am happy coach hak is on team Canada. Good chance to make him a better NHL talent evaluator by giving him exposure to more players and games.

I think it's more likely that Filpulla only gets traded during the season next season should we be looking like we aren't gonna make the playoffs. Other than that I think he's a good Bridge to Rubtsov. He seems to stabilize the lineup much better and will take pressure of Vecchione and give him time to grow a little.

I give maybe a slight slight wildcard to Hexy catching everyone off guard with a much more bold move in the off season where he can't resist and then decides Vecchione will handle the 3rd line. But I doubt that.

Penciling in Vecchione at 3C is a mistake at this point. We just don't know what he is right now. Is he even an NHL player? I liked what I saw for the most part, but he played small parts of 2 games. At most to start the year he's a 4C. Giving him a 3C role just wouldn't be wise.

I'd keep Flip. He's a luxury. One year deal, strong playmaker, good at 5v5, can kill penalties. You have Rubtsov and lets not forget Vorobyov waiting in the wings. Keep Flip for the year.

Mason's comments are what stuck out to me the most. He said he had extensive talks with both Hextall and Hakstol about the goalie situation this year and voiced his displeasure about how it went down. And from what Mason said, he feels both Hextall AND Hakstol agreed that a goalie rotation isn't a good formula. Hextall did say he "has some stuff to work out" before getting back to Mason on a contract, but he would be in contact with Mason's agent sooner rather than later. Mason has a family now and according to him he's close to buying a home and doesn't want to get tied into that if he won't be here. So we may know Mason's status with the team within the next month or so.

I'm somewhat surprised at that. I figured Mason was as good as gone. I still think he won't be back, but this at least opens a slight possibility. Mason also pointed out he'd like to stay and isn't expecting to break the bank, just that he wants to be paid fairly (which means he wants a raise of course). He also didn't seem opposed to being a mentor to the young goalies in the system, stating he was proud of Stolarz's development and says he's been involved in helping Stolie with any questions he's had over the past few years.

I think the even bigger development is Mason possibly getting through to Hakstol that a goalie rotation just doesn't work at this level. You need to establish a #1 and let him work through his ****. If he plays well, play him. If he has a bad game, let him get back in there and allow him to fix it. A goalie needs to know when he's going to play and that it's his net; can't be finding out the day of or the day before. There needs to be an established #1, and to Mason's credit, every time that was established for him, he took that role and ran with it, even this season.

I'd think that's Hextall trying to be a little PC in the media and keep things a little close to the vest on what their plans are. If they really wanted Mason back they would have signed him. Seems to be a sign they want to go with one of the young guys. So in either scenario Mason isn't happy. If he still believes he's the number one I don't see it a good situation to sign him to a 3 year deal at 5-6 million if we are thinking one of the other guys can be at that level at 1/5 the cost. I also didn't see a pattern where Mason got yanked after every mediocre game he played so I think there's a little bit to that whole #1 thing going both ways........Maybe he needs that mental comfort level, but on the other side this is the NHL and he's gotta hold up his end of the deal. Points are too valuable in this league and there isn't always time to let a goalie just work through the bad stuff if you're trying to win.

Quote Originally Posted by txravis12 View Post
    Why no? 6'4" pwf who can skate, and score are few an far between in this league.

This. Exactly this.

What's wrong with Nash on a 1 year deal for 7? The rags need to shed salary somewhere this off-season. Girardi and staal are almost unmovable at this point.

Nash could probably be had for pennies on the dollar, and he fits a legitimate need. He's also only a 1 year deal, and if flip is moved (which is doubtful) the money is there. No risk, yet a perfect plug and play #1 LW who could probably score 30 beside Giroux. Even this version of G.

At Pennies on the dollar Nash would be very intriguing....maybe the modern day Legion of Doom with G and Jake.

Trouble is that Nash is still only 32. So even if NY buys him out I'd think there would still be a lot of interest in him, which means more teams willing to pay a healthy salary with some term to it. Now it goes back into some questionable territory.

In other news:
    sweet, i'm glad we will have 3C for sure next year.

-nice to know that one guy won't be back for sure. This has to mean that schultz is gone and maybe amac will be buried.
    -100% agree with mason and I hope he comes back with stolarz as a backup because I am not confident at all with a neuvy/stolarz. I just don't like the not having a clear number 1. Mason is needed, I don't know why we would let hit walk.
    -ghost...man konecny must feel similar in some way. I though hakstol was good at youth development???
    -couts and schenn gotta stay together.

Quote Originally Posted by Hatch View Post
    I'd think that's Hextall trying to be a little PC in the media and keep things a little close to the vest on what their plans are. If they really wanted Mason back they would have signed him. Seems to be a sign they want to go with one of the young guys. So in either scenario Mason isn't happy. If he still believes he's the number one I don't see it a good situation to sign him to a 3 year deal at 5-6 million if we are thinking one of the other guys can be at that level at 1/5 the cost. I also didn't see a pattern where Mason got yanked after every mediocre game he played so I think there's a little bit to that whole #1 thing going both ways........Maybe he needs that mental comfort level, but on the other side this is the NHL and he's gotta hold up his end of the deal. Points are too valuable in this league and there isn't always time to let a goalie just work through the bad stuff if you're trying to win.
    Id agree if it was Hextall telling that to the media, but it was Mason telling the media that Hextall had told him they need to figure some stuff out but that the door wasn't closed on Mason returning.

So with as candid as Mason was with the media all day, I doubt he would be PC about what Hexy told him in regards to coming back to the team.

Mason isn't wrong. What goalie tandem can you think of really worked for a full season? Forget the goalie carousel the Flyers had on the way to the Cup, that was due to injuries and craziness. It doesn't work. Goalies are very particular and very structured athletes. They're like closers in baseball, they're just weird. They need to have a set schedule and routine or they get thrown off. Ask any goalie and they'd tell you that.

Any time Mase knew it was his net, he was strong. It's not a coincidence.

2.2% chance to get the 1st overall pick; the Avs have a 18% chance to get the 1st pick, so it isn't that bad of odds really. We are the 13th overall slot for % to win

I don't like that Mason has mental issues when he isn't the clear starter. Confidence or whatever it is, how do we rely on someone like that to win us a cup if they can't play their best games during the regular season based on their situation. The "playing time" and "working through issues" aspect is absolutely true, but Mason also needs to be mentally stronger and take advantage of every opportunity given. Bottom line, he hasn't done that, or we wouldn't be talking about him not being resigned.

Id agree if it was Hextall telling that to the media, but it was Mason telling the media that Hextall had told him they need to figure some stuff out but that the door wasn't closed on Mason returning.

So with as candid as Mason was with the media all day, I doubt he would be PC about what Hexy told him in regards to coming back to the team.

Mason isn't wrong. What goalie tandem can you think of really worked for a full season? Forget the goalie carousel the Flyers had on the way to the Cup, that was due to injuries and craziness. It doesn't work. Goalies are very particular and very structured athletes. They're like closers in baseball, they're just weird. They need to have a set schedule and routine or they get thrown off. Ask any goalie and they'd tell you that.

Any time Mase knew it was his net, he was strong. It's not a coincidence.
    The closest two I'll mention without actually researching, Allen and Elliot. Gibson and Anderson.

Neither team won anything. But both teams had strong regular seasons, the question I'd have is was the rotation planned? Or forced due to injury?

Why no? 6'4" pwf who can skate, and score are few an far between in this league.

This. Exactly this.

What's wrong with Nash on a 1 year deal for 7? The rags need to shed salary somewhere this off-season. Girardi and staal are almost unmovable at this point.

Nash could probably be had for pennies on the dollar, and he fits a legitimate need. He's also only a 1 year deal, and if flip is moved (which is doubtful) the money is there. No risk, yet a perfect plug and play #1 LW who could probably score 30 beside Giroux. Even this version of G.
    I literally posted 30 mins before your post saying that what Ace said was feasible. Read through before responding lol.

And the 'Hell no' applies for the 1 year 7 mil.

In response to the goalie talk, I have a decent question. I think I remember reading somewhere that if a player can be traded to Vegas and that would count as the expansion draft pick. Can anyone clarify or confirm this notion?

Quote Originally Posted by LLMunchie619 View Post
    I literally posted 30 mins before your post saying that what Ace said was feasible. Read through before responding lol.

And the 'Hell no' applies for the 1 year 7 mil.
    Tbh I'm on here a lot while workin. So sometimes I'll start a response, but won't finish it for an hour or two depending on how busy I am here.

That said, my original thought on Nash, was specifically in regards to castan posting a lineup without filpulla. If filpulla is traded, and doesn't net the return of a roster play as in that scenario, a 1 yr 7million dollar investment makes quite a bit of sense.

The closest two I'll mention without actually researching, Allen and Elliot. Gibson and Anderson.

Neither team won anything. But both teams had strong regular seasons, the question I'd have is was the rotation planned? Or forced due to injury?
    When gibson and anderson were here, aanderson was pretty much the starter. They always went with him for playoffs and longer stretched. Pretty much same with elliot. But i do see similarities in the blues.

Quote Originally Posted by castan_b View Post
    2.2% chance to get the 1st overall pick; the Avs have a 18% chance to get the 1st pick, so it isn't that bad of odds really. We are the 13th overall slot for % to win

I don't like that Mason has mental issues when he isn't the clear starter. Confidence or whatever it is, how do we rely on someone like that to win us a cup if they can't play their best games during the regular season based on their situation. The "playing time" and "working through issues" aspect is absolutely true, but Mason also needs to be mentally stronger and take advantage of every opportunity given. Bottom line, he hasn't done that, or we wouldn't be talking about him not being resigned.
    jake allen had some doubt and look at how he came back. Every goalie goes through those. I haven't seen much of stolarz other than his games here so please fill me in on him. I just can't see us winning with stolarz/neuvy duo at all.

Page 3 of 168 FirstFirst 123451353103 ... LastLast