Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Who's season was better: Curry last year or Westbrook this year?

Curry had perhaps the best regular season but sat a lot of 4ths, had far more help and they also won 73 games. Westbrook has went triple double crazy but they're a 6th seed.

Who's season was better?

Curry though I might be biased being a fan, but I know I'm biased toward playing efficiently. It's easier with Curry's teammates sure, but Curry lead the NBA in more stats than Westbrook is, just not the triple doubles.

Curry

/end thread
    The Baker has come. Believe the hype.

i'm going curry here only because the efficiency was unreal. But it's certainly close. To be able to grab a triple double for a season when the pace isn't as high as oscar O's time is remarkable. We basically sacrificed being a better team in exchange for Russell's stats but hey, plenty of players tried and none has achieved it until this season. Important to note he's also doing this while being the NBA leading scorer.

Westy

Quote Originally Posted by Raps08-09 Champ View Post
    My dick is named 'Ewing'.

Stephen Curry, and it's not close

curry had one of the greatest seasons of all-time. it's not even close at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by nycericanguy View Post
    well unfortunately it looks like you were right about Bargs...

but hopefully we can use his expiring, if not at least we unloaded Novak's deal...

Quote Originally Posted by Jamiecballer View Post
    curry had one of the greatest seasons of all-time. it's not even close at all.
    Statistically isn't Westy having one of the greatest seasons of all-time?

I agree it's Curry here, but I really want to know how people are going to view what Westy is doing 10-20 years from now.

Yeah, I don't mean to diminish what Westy is doing either. He's been really incredible.

But there's a thing about efficiency that is just back-breaking to opponents in a way chasing rebounds isn't. Steph's efficiency was insane (best efficiency for a star guard ever maybe... I haven't checked the numbers). And to do it with the volume... I mean, if the dude put up 5 or 6 more shots per game (like a lot of high volume players have done in the past), he's close to 40ppg last year adjusted for free throws.

The results spoke too - they weren't just empty stats. If he had a big game, the Warriors almost always blew the opponent out.

In a way, Westy's incredible season is partly due to him absorbing stats that would've simply been attributed to other teammates if they ran a conventional-style offense. He's soaking in stats (not that it isn't impressive, because it definitely is) from other people.

Steph's season last year was like his stats were compounded onto the stats the team would already have - which was far more deadly.

Quote Originally Posted by Vee-Rex View Post
    Yeah, I don't mean to diminish what Westy is doing either. He's been really incredible.

But there's a thing about efficiency that is just back-breaking to opponents in a way chasing rebounds isn't. Steph's efficiency was insane (best efficiency for a star guard ever maybe... I haven't checked the numbers). And to do it with the volume... I mean, if the dude put up 5 or 6 more shots per game (like a lot of high volume players have done in the past), he's close to 40ppg last year adjusted for free throws.

The results spoke too - they weren't just empty stats. If he had a big game, the Warriors almost always blew the opponent out.

In a way, Westy's incredible season is partly due to him absorbing stats that would've simply been attributed to other teammates if they ran a conventional-style offense. He's soaking in stats (not that it isn't impressive, because it definitely is) from other people.

Steph's season last year was like his stats were compounded onto the stats the team would already have - which was far more deadly.
    It's tricky as hell because Westbrook's game doesn't necessarily depend on anyone whereas Steph kinda is. Not saying Steph can't get his own shot but when his shot is off, he's just average with his other parts of his game. Westbrook can get you everything and even though he does leave his man to grab a few rebounds, he's shown the capability to battle for offensive boards as well. It's difficult to equate efficiency with Westbrook because he's so damn reckless that it's actually his BEST trait but yeah, it's why I'd rather have Durant than Westbrook. It's much more difficult to build around Westbrook than Curry or KD IMO.

Triple Double King, Westy about to break a record that's been held over 50+years. It's don right Amazing just not as entertaining as Curry last year,

Gotta give props to Westy though, he deserves the MVP

Westbrook is the reason I think counting stats can be so overrated. People see triple double double and freak out, but ignore how they are getting a triple double. look at this https://streamable.com/pio2n his teammates just get out of the way so he can get it and worse sometimes he just leaves guys wide open so he can get the rebound. Part of it is getting him the ball so he push things in transition, but people act like getting a triple double is just the end all be all for Westbrook having the greatest season ever.

Quote Originally Posted by dhopisthename View Post
    Westbrook is the reason I think counting stats can be so overrated. People see triple double double and freak out, but ignore how they are getting a triple double. look at this https://streamable.com/pio2n his teammates just get out of the way so he can get it and worse sometimes he just leaves guys wide open so he can get the rebound. Part of it is getting him the ball so he push things in transition, but people act like getting a triple double is just the end all be all for Westbrook having the greatest season ever.
    Great post, bro. And to add to it:

Westbrook currently ranks DEAD LAST (it's not even close) on FGA's contested on his man. He's contesting somewhere like 3.4 of his man's 13.1 FGAs per game, which effectively equates to his man shooting 74% of his shots uncontested.

Westy's a freaking superhero, but he probably wouldn't be averaging a triple double this year if he was contesting shots the way he's supposed to.

Regardless... I love it. I hope he finishes with the triple double average on the year. The boy's damn good.

Most advanced stats I trust the most aside, Curry's season was just awe-dropping to watch. He made plays and took/made shots you didn't think imaginable. It was game changing. All while leading a team that was essentially the American sports version of the Beatles tour. I get that Westbrook is getting more rebounds than we're used to from a guard but this comparison is really not close.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/..._id2=westbru01

Both clearly having amazing seasons. It's interesting looking at the advanced stats with Westy having the clear edge in VORP, and BPM and Curry in Win Shares and PER. If they switched teams Westy's efficiency would go up and and numbers would go down and the opposite for Curry ... but I doubt Curry's efficiency goes as low as Westys nor does his rebounding and assists go as high.

They are both incredible but in different ways.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast