Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 56
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    1,465

    Who's season was better: Curry last year or Westbrook this year?

    Curry had perhaps the best regular season but sat a lot of 4ths, had far more help and they also won 73 games. Westbrook has went triple double crazy but they're a 6th seed.

    Who's season was better?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    30,081
    Curry though I might be biased being a fan, but I know I'm biased toward playing efficiently. It's easier with Curry's teammates sure, but Curry lead the NBA in more stats than Westbrook is, just not the triple doubles.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    9,726
    Curry

    /end thread
    The Baker has come. Believe the hype.


  4. #4
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    19,138
    i'm going curry here only because the efficiency was unreal. But it's certainly close. To be able to grab a triple double for a season when the pace isn't as high as oscar O's time is remarkable. We basically sacrificed being a better team in exchange for Russell's stats but hey, plenty of players tried and none has achieved it until this season. Important to note he's also doing this while being the NBA leading scorer.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    parts unknown
    Posts
    43,150
    Westy
    Rep Power: 0




    Quote Originally Posted by Raps08-09 Champ View Post
    My dick is named 'Ewing'.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    35,351
    Stephen Curry, and it's not close



  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    25,798
    curry had one of the greatest seasons of all-time. it's not even close at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by nycericanguy View Post
    well unfortunately it looks like you were right about Bargs...

    but hopefully we can use his expiring, if not at least we unloaded Novak's deal...

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Washington
    Posts
    31,082
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamiecballer View Post
    curry had one of the greatest seasons of all-time. it's not even close at all.
    Statistically isn't Westy having one of the greatest seasons of all-time?

    I agree it's Curry here, but I really want to know how people are going to view what Westy is doing 10-20 years from now.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    9,726
    Yeah, I don't mean to diminish what Westy is doing either. He's been really incredible.

    But there's a thing about efficiency that is just back-breaking to opponents in a way chasing rebounds isn't. Steph's efficiency was insane (best efficiency for a star guard ever maybe... I haven't checked the numbers). And to do it with the volume... I mean, if the dude put up 5 or 6 more shots per game (like a lot of high volume players have done in the past), he's close to 40ppg last year adjusted for free throws.

    The results spoke too - they weren't just empty stats. If he had a big game, the Warriors almost always blew the opponent out.

    In a way, Westy's incredible season is partly due to him absorbing stats that would've simply been attributed to other teammates if they ran a conventional-style offense. He's soaking in stats (not that it isn't impressive, because it definitely is) from other people.

    Steph's season last year was like his stats were compounded onto the stats the team would already have - which was far more deadly.
    The Baker has come. Believe the hype.


  10. #10
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    19,138
    Quote Originally Posted by Vee-Rex View Post
    Yeah, I don't mean to diminish what Westy is doing either. He's been really incredible.

    But there's a thing about efficiency that is just back-breaking to opponents in a way chasing rebounds isn't. Steph's efficiency was insane (best efficiency for a star guard ever maybe... I haven't checked the numbers). And to do it with the volume... I mean, if the dude put up 5 or 6 more shots per game (like a lot of high volume players have done in the past), he's close to 40ppg last year adjusted for free throws.

    The results spoke too - they weren't just empty stats. If he had a big game, the Warriors almost always blew the opponent out.

    In a way, Westy's incredible season is partly due to him absorbing stats that would've simply been attributed to other teammates if they ran a conventional-style offense. He's soaking in stats (not that it isn't impressive, because it definitely is) from other people.

    Steph's season last year was like his stats were compounded onto the stats the team would already have - which was far more deadly.
    It's tricky as hell because Westbrook's game doesn't necessarily depend on anyone whereas Steph kinda is. Not saying Steph can't get his own shot but when his shot is off, he's just average with his other parts of his game. Westbrook can get you everything and even though he does leave his man to grab a few rebounds, he's shown the capability to battle for offensive boards as well. It's difficult to equate efficiency with Westbrook because he's so damn reckless that it's actually his BEST trait but yeah, it's why I'd rather have Durant than Westbrook. It's much more difficult to build around Westbrook than Curry or KD IMO.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Sin City Raiders
    Posts
    54,576
    Triple Double King, Westy about to break a record that's been held over 50+years. It's don right Amazing just not as entertaining as Curry last year,

    Gotta give props to Westy though, he deserves the MVP

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    22,821
    Westbrook is the reason I think counting stats can be so overrated. People see triple double double and freak out, but ignore how they are getting a triple double. look at this https://streamable.com/pio2n his teammates just get out of the way so he can get it and worse sometimes he just leaves guys wide open so he can get the rebound. Part of it is getting him the ball so he push things in transition, but people act like getting a triple double is just the end all be all for Westbrook having the greatest season ever.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    9,726
    Quote Originally Posted by dhopisthename View Post
    Westbrook is the reason I think counting stats can be so overrated. People see triple double double and freak out, but ignore how they are getting a triple double. look at this https://streamable.com/pio2n his teammates just get out of the way so he can get it and worse sometimes he just leaves guys wide open so he can get the rebound. Part of it is getting him the ball so he push things in transition, but people act like getting a triple double is just the end all be all for Westbrook having the greatest season ever.
    Great post, bro. And to add to it:

    Westbrook currently ranks DEAD LAST (it's not even close) on FGA's contested on his man. He's contesting somewhere like 3.4 of his man's 13.1 FGAs per game, which effectively equates to his man shooting 74% of his shots uncontested.

    Westy's a freaking superhero, but he probably wouldn't be averaging a triple double this year if he was contesting shots the way he's supposed to.

    Regardless... I love it. I hope he finishes with the triple double average on the year. The boy's damn good.
    The Baker has come. Believe the hype.


  14. #14
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Bay Area
    Posts
    28,900
    Most advanced stats I trust the most aside, Curry's season was just awe-dropping to watch. He made plays and took/made shots you didn't think imaginable. It was game changing. All while leading a team that was essentially the American sports version of the Beatles tour. I get that Westbrook is getting more rebounds than we're used to from a guard but this comparison is really not close.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    30,081
    http://www.basketball-reference.com/..._id2=westbru01

    Both clearly having amazing seasons. It's interesting looking at the advanced stats with Westy having the clear edge in VORP, and BPM and Curry in Win Shares and PER. If they switched teams Westy's efficiency would go up and and numbers would go down and the opposite for Curry ... but I doubt Curry's efficiency goes as low as Westys nor does his rebounding and assists go as high.

    They are both incredible but in different ways.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •