Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Windsor, Earth's Rectum (as reported by Stephen Colbert).

Resting players: Kobe

Kobe recently took a diplomatic approach to resting players. He says no coach ever approached him about that, because he wouldn't do that, but says LBJ has a right to do it because he's earned it.

I would argue that Kobe is an example of why players should rest.

Kobe's conditioning was amazing, and had his body not given out on him, he likely would have been able to play at an all-star level up until 40.

However, Kobe was slowed by injuries. He had five seasons where he averaged over 40 minutes a game. an additional six where he averaged over 38, and 3 more where he averaged over 36.

And what happened? Knee injuries. All that extra mileage wore him down. He has 7 seasons where he played fewer than 70 games, and for all intents and purposes, he was done as a player at 35, though he rode out his contract.

You look at Duncan on the other had, who granted, has a less knee-intensive game, he never had a season over 36 minutes a game past 27, and only had one 40 mpg season. He lasted until the age of 39 and was still making major contributions to a title contender.

Jordan posted heavy minutes and lasted until 40, but he also took several YEARS off in between.

It seems like PJax was willing to ride his horse into the ground and Kobe's pride let him do it, but at the end of the day, Pop's approach seems to be the one that is best for the players health, and overall performance.

Thoughts?
    Why did the chicken cross the basketball court?
    Because he heard the refs were blowing fowls.

This rest situation is being over blown over a few games. In this era of incredible athletes pushing their bodies to the limit all year long rest has become necessary.

"Eighteen Twenty-five _______"

I don't think it's possible to convince the "rest is for *******" posse that there are merits to reducing the load on players.

Quote Originally Posted by Scoots View Post
    I don't think it's possible to convince the "rest is for *******" posse that there are merits to reducing the load on players.

you are right and its a players decision to decide if the juice is worth the squeeze. I get up at 5 for 70,000 a year. I'd probably be healthier if i didn't. so while rest isn't for ******* crying about it, and saying you deserve it when you get 20 mil is a ***** move.

Quote Originally Posted by Raps08-09 Champ View Post
    My dick is named 'Ewing'.

For teams making these decisions, it's about maximizing their investment more than it is about the player's long term health. Even for the Spurs, it was about keeping Duncan primed for the postseason. Getting a couple extra years out of him was just bonus, because most players don't play as well as he did in the twilight of their careers.

They are not resting Lebron so he can play at 40. They are resting Lebron so he can go 100% in the playoffs.

What's amazing is that we're 74 games into the season and LeBron has played in 68 of them, since people make it seem like he rests 33% of the games. So people are freaking out over 6 missed games. Six. Here's the games he's missed:

November 16th: at Pacers. Wednesday night game. 2nd night of back-to-back.

December 14th: at Memphis. Wednesday night game. 2nd night of back-to-back. Played Memphis THE NIGHT BEFORE.

December 26th: at Detroit. Monday night game. 2nd night of back-to-back. Played Golden State the day before.

February 25th: vs Chicago. Saturday night game. Strep throat. Not a rest day.

March 4th: at Miami. Saturday night game. 2nd night of road back-to-back.

March 18th: at LAC. Saturday night game. 1st night of road back-to-back.

That's 5 rest games and 1 strep throat scratch. Anyone see a theme here on rest days? This is the players' way of pushing towards a schedule without back-to-backs. The only game you can even make an argument for is the Clippers national TV game and choosing to play the Lakers instead. That one I'd entertain. Otherwise, I never had a problem with players resting before, and I still don't now. It's about being 100% for the playoffs and winning a championship. Not about a Monday night regular season game in Detroit.

I don't blame teams for doing it, playoffs are what matters and no one wants to beat themselves up over reg season to go into the playoffs a little worn down.

At the same time, if I bought tickets to a game, and a healthy player is being rested, then yea, I'm a need my ****in money back. For sure.
    RAIDERS, SHARKS, WARRIORS

"i don't believe in mysteries but still i pray for my sister, when speaking to the higher power that listens, to the lifeless vision of freedom everytime we're imprisoned, to the righteous victims of people of a higher position" - planet asia, old timer thoughts

"God is Universal he is the Ruler Universal" - gangstarr (rip guru), robbin hood theory

"don't gain the world and lose your soul, wisdom is better than silver and gold" - bob marley, zion train

Quote Originally Posted by JasonJohnHorn View Post
    Kobe recently took a diplomatic approach to resting players. He says no coach ever approached him about that, because he wouldn't do that, but says LBJ has a right to do it because he's earned it.

Kobe's conditioning was amazing, and had his body not given out on him, he likely would have been able to play at an all-star level up until 40.

However, Kobe was slowed by injuries. He had five seasons where he averaged over 40 minutes a game. an additional six where he averaged over 38, and 3 more where he averaged over 36.

And what happened? Knee injuries. All that extra mileage wore him down. He has 7 seasons where he played fewer than 70 games, and for all intents and purposes, he was done as a player at 35, though he rode out his contract.
    The injury that devastated his career was the achilles tendon rupturing into two pieces. No player has come back to be what they once were after that type of injury. He didnt have any issues with knees in his career, until after he tried to come back prematurely from the achilles and got a small fracture in the knee from overcompensating and being conscience of the achilles.

Could Kobe have played until 40 without the achilles injury? Maybe but not everybody wants to play that long. 20 years was already enough.

Phil had Kobe down to 33.8 mpg the year after the last title. That was down from the 38.8 mpg he played in 2010 when he caused major damage. The year after the 33.8 season, Brown had him back up to 38+ and that trend continued under Dantoni. Maybe because of his conditioning and had Phil stayed starting the minute reduction at 32 could have made a difference but once he went back up to lead leading minutes at 33 it was just a matter of time. Maybe LeBrons a cyborg but this should probably be his last season in the 37 mpg range, time to get him down to 32-33.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonJohnHorn:31541180

You look at Duncan on the other had, who granted, has a less knee-intensive game, he never had a season over 36 minutes a game past 27, and only had one 40 mpg season. He lasted until the age of 39 and was still making major contributions to a title contender.

Jordan posted heavy minutes and lasted until 40, but he also took several YEARS off in between.

It seems like PJax was willing to ride his horse into the ground and Kobe's pride let him do it, but at the end of the day, Pop's approach seems to be the one that is best for the players health, and overall performance.

Thoughts?
    I think resting players is a good strategy and helps extend players careers. People can complain because they pay money to see stars and it is unfortunate when those stars dont play but the league should NEVER punish teams.

Kristaps Porzingis
    Stronger than most 15 year old girls.

Quote Originally Posted by KnicksorBust View Post
    I think resting players is a good strategy and helps extend players careers. People can complain because they pay money to see stars and it is unfortunate when those stars dont play but the league should NEVER punish teams.
    What I don't get is we know resting helps prevent injuries so if guys don't rest some games injuries would be higher. Now instead of fans being deprived of said player for a game now the league is without that player for weeks. Really what's the difference between a DNP for rest and a DNP for soreness?

"Eighteen Twenty-five _______"

Quote Originally Posted by da ThRONe:31542028
    What I don't get is we know resting helps prevent injuries so if guys don't rest some games injuries would be higher. Now instead of fans being deprived of said player for a game now the league is without that player for weeks. Really what's the difference between a DNP for rest and a DNP for soreness?
    Well guys like MJ and Karl Malone made it seem like elite athletes dont need rest.

Kristaps Porzingis
    Stronger than most 15 year old girls.

Kobe sitting? Never... He would die first. It sucks because if he had he maybe ages better and we are still watching a good level kobe right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Scoots View Post
    I get the fans complaining about this, but the players? I mean... shouldn't they be saying: hey, the league shouldn't shedule to many back-to-backs.

I figured the players should be on board for this.

Well guys like MJ and Karl Malone made it seem like elite athletes dont need rest.
    MJ got LOTS of rest those ENTIRE seasons he took off.

I mean... had he not rest... do you think he'd play at that level at 40?

Post players are a little different. Guys like Moses and Karl Malone. Parish. Kareem. They are making sharp cuts and explosive drives and jumping in for high-flying dunks. Those are the things that really kill your knees and ankles.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast