Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

View Poll Results: Who would CLASH with Pop?

Voters
17. You may not vote on this poll
  • Jordan

7 41.18%
  • Kareem

2 11.76%
  • Magic

4 23.53%
  • Wilt

7 41.18%
  • Chuck

10 58.82%
  • Shaq

11 64.71%
  • Kobe

13 76.47%
  • Lebron

6 35.29%
  • Iverson

16 94.12%
  • Isiah Thomas

4 23.53%
  • Rick Barry

3 17.65%
  • Julius Erving

1 5.88%
  • Moses Malone

2 11.76%
  • Kevin Garnett

1 5.88%
  • Other - Please Specify

3 17.65%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Which all-time greats would CLASH with Pop's Coaching Style?

In the other thread Duncan's leadership was brought up and I think a big part of that is how he handles being coached. KDSpursman described how he is coached like the 15th man on the team and still doesn't create any drama. It got me thinking...

We all know Pop is an incredible coach. One of the best of all-time. And he has a truly historic legacy of maintaining success. In fairness though, David Robinson, Tim Duncan, Manu Ginobili, Kawhi Leonard, etc. are mild mannered selfless stars. I don't believe they are the type to create friction with any coach. I'm sure their high school age coaches would say the same thing. So I have a list of all-time greats and I want to know which players you believe would CLASH with pop's aggressive coaching style because they are used to being the favorite or playing for a player's coach.

For example, I think Shaq would clash with Pop. I could see Pop dogging him for coming in to camp out of shape, not giving his best effort out on the floor, etc and it escalating.

Kristaps Porzingis
    Stronger than most 15 year old girls.

Screwed up. Supposed to be a poll... If a mod could add a poll with multiple selections that would be great... if not just write yes or no for the following:

MJ
    Kareem
    Magic
    LeBron
    Shaq
    Kobe
    Barkley
    Iverson

Kristaps Porzingis

Chuck?

Quote Originally Posted by Shammyguy3 View Post
    Chuck?
    Shammy, any chance you could add a poll? I want people to be able to select multiple guys and I want to see the results.

Kristaps Porzingis

If he is as good as I think he is, I think he gets everyone to buy in. Its easier to blast your stars when you 60 wins and are challenging for the trophy on an annual basis.

If he isn't winning. Iverson and Kobe for sure would be a problem. All those other guys mentioned seem reasonable enough to at least make it work. LeBron might have his diva passive aggressive moments like with Spo and Blatt. He may want to take control, so that may clash. I don't see Kareem as a problem. MJ seems too focused on winning to create problems with coaches.

done

of those listed? Iverson by a mile. Pops would have hated him.

I think Kobe would have pissed him off as well. If Kobe couldn't handle the zen master at times (his games where he wouldn't even shoot, just to spite Phil), he would never have been able to handle Pops.

Fact is, most superstars are drama queens. Coaches like Pops don't like those types. It's why many great college coaches won't coach in the NBA.

I also think timing matters. If you have LeBron, or MJ, land with Pops after year 6-7, probably won't work. If they start with Pops, I am sure they are fine.
    Last edited by Hawkeye15; 03-23-2017 at 12:55 PM.

If you want the ultimate, you've got to be willing to pay the ultimate price. It's not tragic to die doing what you love.

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkeye15 View Post
    On the flip-side, with the amount of heart and toughness AI plays with, he might score some points with pops. Not too sure how Pops would feel about him pounding the rock away going 1 on 3, or how serious he takes practices?

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkeye15 View Post

I think Kobe would have pissed him off as well. If Kobe couldn't handle the zen master at times (his games where he wouldn't even shoot, just to spite Phil), he would never have been able to handle Pops.

Fact is, most superstars are drama queens. Coaches like Pops don't like those types. It's why many great college coaches won't coach in the NBA.

I also think timing matters. If you have LeBron, or MJ, land with Pops after year 6-7, probably won't work. If they start with Pops, I am sure they are fine.
    Timing is key, but I think if any star were to play with Pops now or any player for that matter rookie, prime player, or aging vet he has too much clout and credentials not to be respected and for players not to buy in. You have to be an extreme outlier not to respect pops.

Iverson. Ball hog, poor shot selection, refused to ever come off the bench even when returning from injury, practice, likely would have complained about resting, hated being criticized.

Quote Originally Posted by Heediot View Post
    Timing is key, but I think if any star were to play with Pops now or any player for that matter rookie, prime player, or aging vet he has too much clout and credentials not to be respected and for players not to buy in. You have to be an extreme outlier not to respect pops.
    Sure, but that goes back into timing. If LeBron were to go to the Spurs next year, you are probably right. If LeBron were to go to the Spurs before Pops is Pops, meh.

If you want the ultimate, you've got to be willing to pay the ultimate price. It's not tragic to die doing what you love.

I wanted people to be able to select multiple players. Now it's just going to be a bash Iverson fest.

Kristaps Porzingis

Quote Originally Posted by KnicksorBust View Post
    I wanted people to be able to select multiple players. Now it's just going to be a bash Iverson fest.
    If people give multiple answers in the thread, we can go in and modify the # of votes per player.

Quote Originally Posted by KnicksorBust View Post
    oopsies

Which All-Timers would CLASH with Pop's Coaching Style?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast