Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 35
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    6,267

    What is the Most Impressive Feat of Longevity in NBA history?

    Saw a post on reddit about John Stockton and there's been a lot of talk about longevity in the Duncan/Kawhi thread, so I thought I'd bring this up. What's the single most impressive feat of longevity in NBA history? I'll throw out a few candidates:

    - Kareem winning Finals MVP 14 years apart.

    - John Stockton playing 17 full seasons (he played 82 games 16 times and played every game in the lockout shortened '99 season).

    - LeBron averaging 20-5-5 14 years in a row (and counting, how many in a row would he have to do to win this thread?)

    - Michael Jordan making the All Star team every season of his career that it was possible (wasn't possible in '94-'95 because his return came after the All Star break)(also note that Jerry West, Paul Arizin and Bob Pettit did it but that was pre-merger so I don't really count it, and Yao Ming did but... well... China).

    - Tim Duncan making an All NBA team 17 years apart.

    Any others that I'm forgetting? Which of these is most impressive if I'm not?
    POOP

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    31,068
    Those are some great ones. If Lebron keeps his Finals streak alive a few more years, that would certainly be impressive. Also, you mention Lebron's 20-5-5 for 14 straight seasons, but I think his streak of 25-5-5 for 13 consecutive seasons is far more impressive.

    As far as team longevity goes, the two that come to mind are the Celtics winning titles in eight consecutive years or 11 of 13 back in the 50s-60s or perhaps it's the Spurs winning 50+ games for 18 consecutive seasons, which would easily have been 20 if not for the lockout-shortened 98-99 season.


  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Posts
    1,877
    All are pretty impressive with Jabbar/Lebron right at the top with Stockton right there

    being healthy is the most impressive and comes with some major luck with all the running up and down and games played

    if you want to knock West/Pettit and Yao then you have to knock Jordan because who was the shooting guards during his time in the East, John Starks/Dan Majerle/Ehlo/G Wilkins/Dumars? I mean damn he should have made it as the starting SG every year easily, Miller or Dumars was like the 2nd best SG for years in the East while Drexler/Richmond was out West and they were his strongest competiton for most part

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Mission, BC
    Posts
    3,057
    Quote Originally Posted by europagnpilgrim View Post
    All are pretty impressive with Jabbar/Lebron right at the top with Stockton right there

    being healthy is the most impressive and comes with some major luck with all the running up and down and games played

    if you want to knock West/Pettit and Yao then you have to knock Jordan because who was the shooting guards during his time in the East, John Starks/Dan Majerle/Ehlo/G Wilkins/Dumars? I mean damn he should have made it as the starting SG every year easily, Miller or Dumars was like the 2nd best SG for years in the East while Drexler/Richmond was out West and they were his strongest competiton for most part
    Richmond was so good.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    5,403
    I've always thought of Kareem Abdul-Jabbar's career as the most impressive feat of longevity. It's an amalgam of production, achievement and duration unmatched by anyone.
    Michael Jordan's success from 1990 to 1997, taking into consideration the midweek sojourn for baseball, is probably my second, considering the difficulty of making and winning that many ships. LeBron James' career probably rounds out the top-three.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    1,892
    Kobe's 2012-2013 season > Duncan's 2012-2013 season

    27/6/6 on 46% shooting in his 17th season while leading a dysfunctional team to the playoffs. Also, making the All-NBA 1st team over Russell Westbrook, James Harden and Dwyane Wade is far more impressive than making it over Marc Gasol and a half-injured Dwight Howard.

    Duncan's season was great, but putting up 18/10 under a 15 year old Gregg Popovich system isn't better than Kobe's season.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    6,267
    Quote Originally Posted by DanG View Post
    Kobe's 2012-2013 season > Duncan's 2012-2013 season

    27/6/6 on 46% shooting in his 17th season while leading a dysfunctional team to the playoffs. Also, making the All-NBA 1st team over Russell Westbrook, James Harden and Dwyane Wade is far more impressive than making it over Marc Gasol and a half-injured Dwight Howard.

    Duncan's season was great, but putting up 18/10 under a 15 year old Gregg Popovich system isn't better than Kobe's season.
    Duncan was great before Kobe was, though. Kobe wasn't really Kobe until Year 4 ('99-'00) whereas Duncan was All NBA 1st team as a rookie ('97-'98). If it's a matter of who was great longer, it's Duncan, no question.
    POOP

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    6,267
    Quote Originally Posted by mightybosstone View Post
    Those are some great ones. If Lebron keeps his Finals streak alive a few more years, that would certainly be impressive. Also, you mention Lebron's 20-5-5 for 14 straight seasons, but I think his streak of 25-5-5 for 13 consecutive seasons is far more impressive.

    As far as team longevity goes, the two that come to mind are the Celtics winning titles in eight consecutive years or 11 of 13 back in the 50s-60s or perhaps it's the Spurs winning 50+ games for 18 consecutive seasons, which would easily have been 20 if not for the lockout-shortened 98-99 season.
    Damn, I was so fixated on what he'd done for his entire career that I totally missed that. I mean, if he really goes like 15 or 16 straight years at 25-5-5... just holy ****.
    POOP

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Loano,Italy.Flying in the Mambacopter.
    Posts
    3,063
    Lebron's record is insane,I think two more season and he has the crown.

    MJ and Chamberlain's seven consecutive leading scorer titles are also great feats of longevity.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    19,803
    Quote Originally Posted by Quinnsanity View Post
    Duncan was great before Kobe was, though. Kobe wasn't really Kobe until Year 4 ('99-'00) whereas Duncan was All NBA 1st team as a rookie ('97-'98). If it's a matter of who was great longer, it's Duncan, no question.
    not gonna debate who was better but I hope you realize how ridiculous your comment was... Kobe in year 4 was the same age as Duncan in his year 1...

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    parts unknown
    Posts
    43,086
    Manute Bol guy was 7'6
    Rep Power: 0




    Quote Originally Posted by Raps08-09 Champ View Post
    My dick is named 'Ewing'.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    8,567
    Karl Malone needs to be up there as well. Don't remember the exact number, but he missed like 10 games in 18 years or something like that.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    31,068
    Quote Originally Posted by Quinnsanity View Post
    Damn, I was so fixated on what he'd done for his entire career that I totally missed that. I mean, if he really goes like 15 or 16 straight years at 25-5-5... just holy ****.
    Yeah, I checked the runs of guys who could feasibly have come close to thisóJordan, Kobe, West and Oscaróand none of those guys can boast a consistent statline that productive over that long a period of time. They come close, but they all have years of decline in one of those stats and/or dropoff at the end of their prime after 10-12 years. Lebron could feasibly run that streak to 15+ seasons, which would be remarkable. I don't know that we'll ever see that kind of consistent overall production from a player again in our lifetimes.


  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Bushwood Country Club
    Posts
    79,473
    it's easily AC Green's streak

    If you want the ultimate, you've got to be willing to pay the ultimate price. It's not tragic to die doing what you love.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Washington
    Posts
    31,037
    I would say Kareem's career was a more impressive display of longevity than Tim Duncan's however in regards to the 2 feats, Kareem winning Finals MVP 14 years apart or Duncan being on an All-NBA team 17 years apart I have to go Duncan there only because Finals MVP is playing well for up to 7 games whereas All-NBA is being among the top 15-ish players for the entire season.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •