Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

What Does The 10 Greatest Players Of All Time List Look Like 10Years From Now?

Tell does this list change? Who moves up and who drops out of everybodys top 10?

Looking around the league now, the same it looks now...

If you want the ultimate, you've got to be willing to pay the ultimate price. It's not tragic to die doing what you love.

Yeah, I don't think it will be any different. Lebron would have to do something truly spectacular to pass MJ (like win 3-4 more titles and 1-2 more MVPs), so his highest landing spot is No. 2, which is where most people have him already.

The only guy who could legitimately make a dent in the top 10 in the next decade would be Curry. But, again, he would have to do something spectacular to get there. It's not outside the realm of possibility, though. If he had a few more seasons like he had last year, won another title or two and another MVP or two, I could certainly see him being in the conversation.

I could also see scenarios where Durant could get there, but I think that's a real long shot and it's far less likely given that Curry's peak has been better and Curry already has a title. But I also think that while both guys play for the same team, it will really hurt both of their chances to crack the top 10 in the long run. Their team success could be prolific, but their individual production and accolades will suffer in the meantime.

Quote Originally Posted by mightybosstone View Post
    Yeah, I don't think it will be any different. Lebron would have to do something truly spectacular to pass MJ (like win 3-4 more titles and 1-2 more MVPs), so his highest landing spot is No. 2, which is where most people have him already.

The only guy who could legitimately make a dent in the top 10 in the next decade would be Curry. But, again, he would have to do something spectacular to get there. It's not outside the realm of possibility, though. If he had a few more seasons like he had last year, won another title or two and another MVP or two, I could certainly see him being in the conversation.

I could also see scenarios where Durant could get there, but I think that's a real long shot and it's far less likely given that Curry's peak has been better and Curry already has a title. But I also think that while both guys play for the same team, it will really hurt both of their chances to crack the top 10 in the long run. Their team success could be prolific, but their individual production and accolades will suffer in the meantime.
    what does your top 10 look like? I generally use a tier system

1- MJ
    2- KAJ, Wilt, LeBron
    3- Shaq, Duncan, Dream, Magic
    4- Bird, Kobe, Russell

I agree, it will take something special for Curry to make it. Even more so for Durant. I could buy a healthy Curry entering the top 10 though, but we need another 5-6 years of evidence, including this year obviously.

If you want the ultimate, you've got to be willing to pay the ultimate price. It's not tragic to die doing what you love.

Just Curious. Would Curry's shooting negate his defense as Magic's play-making and leadership made him one of the goat's?

Quote Originally Posted by Heediot View Post
    Just Curious. Would Curry's shooting negate his defense as Magic's play-making and leadership made him one of the goat's?
    sure, as would his accolades, achievements, all NBA teams, Championships, etc. The dude was back to back MVP's, is the games best shooter ever, has a championship already, and in his peak. He is building an awesome resume, though this year, he is individually down a bit from the last few years.

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkeye15 View Post

1- MJ
    2- KAJ, Wilt, LeBron
    4- Bird, Kobe, Russell

I agree, it will take something special for Curry to make it. Even more so for Durant. I could buy a healthy Curry entering the top 10 though, but we need another 5-6 years of evidence, including this year obviously.
    Mine would look extremely similar to that. I move some guys around depending on what I'm emphasizing on a given day, but in general, my top 11 looks something like this:

1. Jordan
    2. Lebron
    3. Kareem
    4. Wilt
    5. Duncan
    6. Shaq
    7. Hakeem
    8. Magic
    9. Russell
    10. Bird
    11. Kobe

The two hardest players for me to judge in the top 10 are always Wilt and Russell. Part of it is because they played in a different era than everyone else on the list. But part of it is the unique relationship between the two of them when you compare their careers. Wilt was clearly the more talented individual player by a mile and a superior offensive player, but Russell always seemed to get the better of him and just completely owned Wilt when it comes to postseason production.

There are days when I justify Russell being right next to Wilt or sometimes even one spot higher. And there are other days, like today, when I try to look objectively at their careers while placing less emphasis on their head-to-head history. If I could take those two guys out, I think the other nine guys on that list would always be in the same spots. But those two guys are so hard to peg down when compared to everyone else on the list.

Who knows, there's a handful currently in the NBA currently with the potential, and it's possible somebody we consider top-10 All Time is not in the NBA yet. 10 years is a long time.

Quote Originally Posted by tredigs View Post
    Who knows, there's a handful currently in the NBA currently with the potential, and it's possible somebody we consider top-10 All Time is not in the NBA yet. 10 years is a long time.
    I think saying there's "a handful" is a bit of a stretch. If there was a player capable of being a top 10 all-time caliber player in the league today, we'd know about it. Lebron, Curry and Durant are the only three that fit that description, and the latter two still have a lot of work to do to even belong in the conversation.

Wade, Dirk and Paul have already passed their primes, and they simply aren't of that top 10 caliber level. Harden, Leonard and Westbrook are great, but at this point in their careers, even with them both peaking right now, there's just no chance they end up in that top 10 conversation barring something totally unforeseen. Davis is extremely talented, but his team is bad, and the guy hasn't proven he can stay healthy. Among the really young guys, Giannis is the only one that even hints at possibly having that kind of potential, and where he's at right now, he'd still need to get a lot better and accomplish a hell of a lot in the next 10 years.

I think it's also extremely unlikely there will be a player in the top 10 conversation 10 years from now that isn't currently in the league. Ten years seems like a pretty decent career length, but there are guys who wouldn't have put Lebron in the top 10 based on his first 10 seasons in the league. To crack the top 10, you've got to have a strong peak plus longevity plus postseason success.

Quote Originally Posted by mightybosstone View Post
    I think saying there's "a handful" is a bit of a stretch. If there was a player capable of being a top 10 all-time caliber player in the league today, we'd know about it. Lebron, Curry and Durant are the only three that fit that description, and the latter two still have a lot of work to do to even belong in the conversation.

Wade, Dirk and Paul have already passed their primes, and they simply aren't of that top 10 caliber level. Harden, Leonard and Westbrook are great, but at this point in their careers, even with them both peaking right now, there's just no chance they end up in that top 10 conversation barring something totally unforeseen. Davis is extremely talented, but his team is bad, and the guy hasn't proven he can stay healthy. Among the really young guys, Giannis is the only one that even hints at possibly having that kind of potential, and where he's at right now, he'd still need to get a lot better and accomplish a hell of a lot in the next 10 years.

I think it's also extremely unlikely there will be a player in the top 10 conversation 10 years from now that isn't currently in the league. Ten years seems like a pretty decent career length, but there are guys who wouldn't have put Lebron in the top 10 based on his first 10 seasons in the league. To crack the top 10, you've got to have a strong peak plus longevity plus postseason success.
    I mean, Jordan was considered top-10 far less than 10 years into his career, but to be fair that is the consensus GOAT and now the top-10 is more saturated (naturally). So you're right that a handful is a stretch, but my point was that there is a lot of future to be had for some of these players. KAT is just 21 and already averaging 24/12. Being a 30/13/3 guy for 7+ years is not out of the question for him. AD's just 23 and averaged 26/11 over the past 3 seasons. Who knows what the future holds. I'd be willing to bet if Westbrook averages 3 straight triple-double seasons + has some major playoff success, he will join the discussion as a top-3 PG in history and have a shot as a top-10 to some. Giannis? Wtf knows. Like I said, I'd bet against the vast majority of them to reach anything close to that level (though top-25 is a reasonable high-end hope for maybe 10 guys currently in the league), but their doors certainly have not shut.

Probably the same as it does today with some people moving Lebron into the top 3 (and some already having him there, essentially he will locked in by then).

I think Curry had a good chance but am not sure with Durant coming how that will change things, I can see them both splitting credit in a sense. We will need to see how that plays out but at this point I think it will take one clearly separating himself as the man on those teams to get individual credit to put them on this level. Too much speculation to do on the rest being out of the picture or just too young to truly tell and these two kind of hurting each others chances it would appear.

Quote Originally Posted by tredigs View Post
    I mean, Jordan was considered top-10 far less than 10 years into his career, but to be fair that is the consensus GOAT and now the top-10 is more saturated (naturally). So you're right that a handful is a stretch, but my point was that there is a lot of future to be had for some of these players. KAT is just 21 and already averaging 24/12. Being a 30/13/3 guy for 7+ years is not out of the question for him. AD's just 23 and averaged 26/11 over the past 3 seasons. Who knows what the future holds. I'd be willing to bet if Westbrook averages 3 straight triple-double seasons + has some major playoff success, he will join the discussion as a top-3 PG in history and have a shot as a top-10 to some. Giannis? Wtf knows. Like I said, I'd bet against the vast majority of them to reach anything close to that level (though top-25 is a reasonable high-end hope for maybe 10 guys currently in the league), but their doors certainly have not shut.
    Of course it is. There have only been two guys to ever do that. One rested barely 6 minutes a game. The other rested 1 minute a game in a watered down league

Kareem 29.6/15.4/4.4 in 41.6 minutes per game
    Wilt 39.6/24.8/3.4 in 47.0 minutes per game

Not even Shaq was able to do it, and he played in the more modern era.
    Shaq 28.2/12.1/2.8 in 37.7 minutes per game

25/10/3 is something that puts him in the Tim Duncan, David Robinson, Hakeem Olajuwon, Patrick Ewing department though. But he has to be as significant of a defender as they do to have a chance at sniffing the top-30 let alone top-10

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkeye15 View Post

1- MJ
    2- KAJ, Wilt, LeBron
    4- Bird, Kobe, Russell

What is your tier based on player wise? how do you put Jordan on tier 1 but not a Jabbar/Wilt/Russell/Oscar/Shaq etc.

Jordan had that 6 out 8yr title run but he did play for 15yrs

Quote Originally Posted by Shammyguy3 View Post
    Of course it is. There have only been two guys to ever do that. One rested barely 6 minutes a game. The other rested 1 minute a game in a watered down league

Kareem 29.6/15.4/4.4 in 41.6 minutes per game
    Wilt 39.6/24.8/3.4 in 47.0 minutes per game

Not even Shaq was able to do it, and he played in the more modern era.
    Shaq 28.2/12.1/2.8 in 37.7 minutes per game

25/10/3 is something that puts him in the Tim Duncan, David Robinson, Hakeem Olajuwon, Patrick Ewing department though. But he has to be as significant of a defender as they do to have a chance at sniffing the top-30 let alone top-10
    Towns will be at least as good a rebounder as a Pat Ewing or Shaq (averaging 12 a game already + 3.6 Orebounds a night), and shows far more promise as a scorer than Ewing (who didn't put up 24 PPG until he was 27. D Rob did it 5x in his career, and only averaged 24+/12+ twice). He's 21. These dudes were seasoned and 24+ when they were putting up numbers like that. Granted, his defense WILL have to improve to at least borderline All-NBA D status, but if it does, sky is the limit for him.

As far as 30 exactly being the threshold, I wouldn't get caught in the semantics there. Call it 27+. Point being, a potentially league leading scorer level for MANY years to come if he stays healthy. Again, this kid is 21. He can dominate for 10+ years before his body starts to wain.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast